PDA

View Full Version : Call for testers! Daphile

Pages : [1] 2

kipeta
2013-07-08, 09:18
Daphile is a audiophile class music server & player OS – targeted to dedicated headless PC.

Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux. This is the first public test release.

Features
- Headless music server
- Bitperfect and gapless playback of various audio formats up to 192kHz/24bit
- Automatic configuration of music player for each audio device
- Multiplayer support (eg. multiple USB DACs)
- CD ripping with automatic metadata tagging and cover art
- Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
- WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
- Software update via web interface
- Whole system image ISO-file is below 200MB

The external file server use as a music source is not yet supported in this release but it will soon be (cifs,nfs). The USB drive use is currently automatic read-only usage, no support in the web interface.

Daphile is available at http://www.daphile.com
You can find instructions in the attachment.

kipeta
2013-07-08, 13:15
I was reminded about the terms of the Sourceforge site and I think I have withdraw the project from there before I have studied the terms more carefully. I think I was a bit too eager to get this shared. I'll come back with new information later but I think it will be delayed due to the vacation plans.

erland
2013-07-08, 22:19
Don't feel obligated to answer this at the moment, feel free to answer via PM if you want to answer me now but don't want to post the answers in public yet.

Do I understand correctly that Daphile is an OS preconfigured to make a computer a headless music server ? Kind of similar to VortexBox ?

Do you include the standard version of Squeezebox Server or have you patched/added anything to make it better ?

Which Squeezebox Server version will be included ?

Which Linux distribution is it based around ? (I'm assuming it's based on Linux?)

Will it be a free or commercial product ?

I have the possibility to try it both in virtual machines, an old Intel laptop and I also have a Zbox AD04 (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-ad04.html) which might be suitable as a test environment unless a CDROM is required for it to work.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you have accomplished.

kipeta
2013-07-09, 08:25
Don't feel obligated to answer this at the moment, feel free to answer via PM if you want to answer me now but don't want to post the answers in public yet.

Do I understand correctly that Daphile is an OS preconfigured to make a computer a headless music server ? Kind of similar to VortexBox ?

I think the basic idea is pretty much the same.

Do you include the standard version of Squeezebox Server or have you patched/added anything to make it better ?

Which Squeezebox Server version will be included ?

The test release included the server version 7.8.0-r1372135249 and I have only couple of minor patches.

Which Linux distribution is it based around ? (I'm assuming it's based on Linux?)

It's based on Gentoo (if it can be said so). The basic idea is more like an embedded image that is mostly built using Gentoo ebuilds. The whole image is updated, not the single packages.

Will it be a free or commercial product ?

Currently I think that yes - to both. But I don't give any promises.

I have the possibility to try it both in virtual machines, an old Intel laptop and I also have a Zbox AD04 (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-ad04.html) which might be suitable as a test environment unless a CDROM is required for it to work.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you have accomplished.

kipeta
2013-07-09, 08:32
Daphile is now available at www.daphile.com

skare
2013-07-10, 03:19
Hi

Booted Daphile on a VM. Want to install on to disk. According to the instructions in the PDF I should be able to do this by

"Daphile installation to an other drive is possible via the web interface in the “Settings
> System Firmware” section."

I can't seem to find this option. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Otherwise everything looks very clean and simple. Really liking it so far :)

kipeta
2013-07-10, 07:08
I guess you have a bug. I must have accidentally disabled the whole System Firmware section when using the live mode (I was suppose to disable only the updating).

I'm not sure if I'm able to fix it before the weekend. I'm on a short trip and having only my Nexus 7 with me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

kipeta
2013-07-10, 07:55
I managed to fix the installation bug. New image is at http://daphile.com/firmware/testing/. I didn't link it to the home page yet just in case that something went wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

kipeta
2013-07-26, 06:04
CHANGES
- New feature: Support (read-only) for external file servers (NFS, CIFS, ssh and ftp)
- Added configuration for internal and USB disks
- Some bug fixes and minor changes.

Download from www.daphile.com or update previous version via web interface.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

MrD
2013-07-31, 20:19

Running the ISO on VMPlayer 5.0 on Windows 7. Unable to get to the "Setting Menu" using Firefox or Chrome -- request just "spins"

kipeta
2013-08-01, 09:25
Running the ISO on VMPlayer 5.0 on Windows 7. Unable to get to the "Setting Menu" using Firefox or Chrome -- request just "spins"

Thanks for your message. You found a bug related to situation where the system doesn't have any recognized harddrive. Daphile does not support VMPlayer SCSI disk. If you give Daphile a IDE virtual disk you can get pass this bug. I'll fix this in the next release.

MrD
2013-08-01, 15:55
Thanks for your message. You found a bug related to situation where the system doesn't have any recognized harddrive. Daphile does not support VMPlayer SCSI disk. If you give Daphile a IDE virtual disk you can get pass this bug. I'll fix this in the next release.

Yes that works, but I cannot install to the IDE disk

Installation started to target disk: ATA VMware Virtual I 1.0GB (sda)
Configuring the disk partitions.
ERROR: Failed to modify partition table.
Installation FAILED.

MrD
2013-08-01, 16:00
Yes that works, but I cannot install to the IDE disk

Installation started to target disk: ATA VMware Virtual I 1.0GB (sda)
Configuring the disk partitions.
ERROR: Failed to modify partition table.
Installation FAILED.

I changed the disk size to 2GB and it worked.

Also Video mode 318 is undefined for VMWare.

Does the server really need to "save & restart" to add remote storage?

kipeta
2013-08-03, 04:28
Does the server really need to "save & restart" to add remote storage?

I know this could be a bit annoying but currently all Settings changes are submitted and applied through the same "Save & Restart" function.

Thanks again for your feedback.

kipeta
2013-08-03, 04:29
New test release image (with some bug fixes) and new web page are now available.

www.daphile.com

kipeta
2013-08-07, 06:01
New test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 7th 2013:
- New "Shut Down" button on the Info page
- Fixed support for M2Tech hiFace DAC (thanks to cmiu)
- Improved kernel driver support for ethernet devices
- Some package updates

kipeta
2013-08-09, 14:53
Again another test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 9th 2013:
- BUG FIX for network manager. The bug had previously prevented the operation of some ethernet and wireless adapters (thanks to Luca N. for reporting the problem).
- Ethernet MAC address and Wake-on-LAN support reported at Info page (WOL is enabled if HW and BIOS setup supports it)
- Some other minor changes

kipeta
2013-08-17, 01:28
New test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 17th 2013:
Initial DSD file support:
- DSF (.dsf) and DSDIFF (.dff) supported (both DSD64 and DSD128)
- no native DSD-over-USB (DoP) yet. Coming soon - have to get DAC with DoP support.
- no support for DST compressed files (didn't find any samples)
- Known issue: "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan does not include DSD files. "Look for new and changed audio files" rescan works.
Linux kernel upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 series.

mherger
2013-08-17, 02:13
- Known issue: "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan does not include DSD files. "Look for new and changed audio files" rescan works.

Is this a bug or a conceptual issue? Did you implement this as an importer which is automatically run during scans?

kipeta
2013-08-17, 02:43
Is this a bug or a conceptual issue? Did you implement this as an importer which is automatically run during scans?
It was kind of a last minute observation before the release. I haven't looked at it yet any deeper.

I'm not sure if I understand your "as an importer" question. What I have done is:
- patched Audio-Scan-0.93 for DSF and DSDIFF support
- created plugin PlayDSD, most important (?) stuff below

Is it so that "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan is done with external scanner and others with internal? And that makes a difference?

DSD.pm

package Plugins::PlayDSD::DSD;

use strict;
use base qw(Slim::Formats);

use Audio::Scan;

use Slim::Formats::MP3;
use Slim::Utils::Log;

sub getTag {
my $class = shift;
my $file = shift || return {};

my $s = Audio::Scan->scan( $file );

my $info = $s->{info};
my $tags = $s->{tags};

return unless $info->{song_length_ms};

$tags->{SIZE} = $info->{audio_size};
$tags->{SECS} = $info->{song_length_ms} / 1000;
$tags->{RATE} = $info->{samplerate};
$tags->{CHANNELS} = $info->{channels};
$tags->{SAMPLESIZE} = 1;
$tags->{LOSSLESS} = 1;

if ( $info->{tag_diar_artist} ) {
$tags->{ARTIST} = $info->{tag_diar_artist};
}
if ( $info->{tag_diti_title} ) {
$tags->{TITLE} = $info->{tag_diti_title};
}

if ( $info->{id3_version} ) {
$tags->{TAGVERSION} = $info->{id3_version};
Slim::Formats::MP3->doTagMapping($tags);
}

return $tags;
}

*getCoverArt = \&Slim::Formats::MP3::getCoverArt;

#sub canSeek { 1 }

1;

custom-convert.conf

#
#
#
dsd flc * *
# FT:{START=-s %t}U:{END=-e %v}D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
[dsdplay] $START$ $END$ $FILE$ $RESAMPLE$

custom-types.conf

################################################## #######################
#ID Suffix Mime Content-Type Server File Type#
################################################## #######################
dsd dff,dsf audio/x-dsd,audio/dsd audio

mherger
2013-08-19, 01:04
> Obviously I forgot one important part of the plugin from the previous
> message.

Yeah, that's probably the most important part ;-). The scanner is run in a
separate process. And it doesn't load plugins. Therefore your code isn't
initialized at all. The scanner only loads plugins of type 'importer'. See
eg. the iTunes or MusicMagic plugins.

--

Michael

kipeta
2013-08-19, 04:21
Hi Michael,

Obviously I forgot one important part of the plugin from the previous message.

use Slim::Formats;

sub initPlugin {
my $class = shift;

$log->info("Initialising " . $class->_pluginDataFor('version'));

$Slim::Formats::tagClasses{'dsd'} = 'Plugins::PlayDSD::DSD';
}

The last line was my guess how to get it work and it actually did but only if scanned with "Look for new and changed audio files". Could you help me? How should I implement it?

Ikabob
2013-08-19, 10:46
Not to detract from this informative thread, but what is the definition of a "headless server"? What does it do? Thanks.

Julf
2013-08-19, 11:03
Not to detract from this informative thread, but what is the definition of a "headless server"? What does it do? Thanks.

A pure server, without display or keyboard (or touch display). Thus the only way to interact with the server is over the network (or by pulling the power or network cable).

garym
2013-08-19, 11:15
A pure server, without display or keyboard (or touch display). Thus the only way to interact with the server is over the network (or by pulling the power or network cable).

for example, a vortexbox appliance is in this category. It serves my music files and runs LMS. I "talk" to it via a webGUI (from any other computer on my network, in my case, my laptop).-

erland
2013-08-19, 11:22
The last line was my guess how to get it work and it actually did but only if scanned with "Look for new and changed audio files". Could you help me? How should I implement it?

Look at the iTunes plugin.

First install.xml: https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/7.8/Slim/Plugin/iTunes/install.xml
The following line is important:
<importmodule>Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer</importmodule>
This is what cause it to load Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer in the external scanner. In your case you would of course need an importmodule that points to your plugin.

Then Importer.pm (which the above entry points to):
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/7.8/Slim/Plugin/iTunes/Importer.pm

Its initPlugin method will be called by the external scanner.
When you use new/changed scanner it will instead load any scanning modules you have registered in the Plugin.pm file.

I'm not sure if it maybe might be enough to add the "$Slim::Formats::tagClasses{'dsd'} = 'Plugins::PlayDSD::DSD';" entry in the initPlugin method in your Importer.pm file. If I remember correctly it's loaded initially by the external scanner, so possible it might be enough to have a very simple initPlugin which just register your tag class.

kipeta
2013-08-20, 04:32
Thanks Erland and Michael!

The Importer was finally pretty simple.

package Plugins::PlayDSD::Importer;

use strict;

use Slim::Formats;
use Slim::Music::Info;
use Plugins::PlayDSD::DSD;

sub initPlugin {
$Slim::Formats::tagClasses{'dsd'} = 'Plugins::PlayDSD::DSD';

$Slim::Music::Info::suffixes{'dff'} = 'dsd';
$Slim::Music::Info::suffixes{'dsf'} = 'dsd';
$Slim::Music::Info::mimeTypes{'audio/x-dsd'} = 'dsd';
$Slim::Music::Info::mimeTypes{'audio/dsd'} = 'dsd';
$Slim::Music::Info::slimTypes{'dsd'} = 'audio';
$Slim::Music::Info::types{'dsd'} = 'audio/x-dsd';
}

1;
"custom-types.conf" was not found from the plugin directory by external scanner. Its data had to be inserted in the Importer init.

Now it works. The fix will be included in the next release. I will also try to include a player specific settings option to use DSD-over-PCM (I already got my converter verified with Benchmark DAC2 HGC for DSD).

If there is a person who would be interested to integrate and develop more generic DSD plugin for LMS please let me know. My own focus is now more on getting things work with Daphile.

kipeta
2013-08-21, 07:07
CHANGES on August 21st 2013:

Support for native DSD playback with DSD-over-PCM (verified only for DSD64 with Benchmark DAC2 HGC). Enable it from Audio Settings for the DAC that supports it.
DSD file "Clear library and rescan everything" problem fixed
Replay Gain calculation added to the CD ripping process
Some other minor bug fixes and changes

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed! Now especially any DSD-over-PCM experiences with different DACs and DSD128.

agentsmith
2013-08-22, 00:47
Sorry for such a basic question.

Does Daphile support Mac Minis? I have the last thick version with a CD drive before they went thin.

kipeta
2013-08-22, 01:32
Does Daphile support Mac Minis? I have the last thick version with a CD drive before they went thin.
I'm not sure. At least you have to do manually something extra for the EFI boot manager (Daphile installation does not support EFI).

I would recommend that you try first by burning the Daphile ISO to CD ROM and try to boot with it (If I remember right Macs don't support booting from USB flash). If this works (I think it should) then I would advice you to create DaphileBoot and DaphileData partitions to disk, install Daphile with CD to those partitions and configure EFI boot manager to boot from DaphileBoot partition (not easy :-().

I once had the same version of Mac Mini and I had Gentoo Linux in it. If I remember right I used rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) and grub. But don't remember how it was configured.

If you try let me know how it works.

kipeta
2013-08-28, 07:49
CHANGES on August 28th 2013:

Bug fix release - no new features
Wireless networking fixes: recover from initial scan failure, simultaneous client/hotspot operation fixed
Sound format conversions improved for different audio devices (use plughw as fallback)
Some other bug fixes and minor changes

kipeta
2013-09-06, 04:45
CHANGES on September 6th 2013:

Storage configurations improved
Support for LVM and RAID volumes (not for DaphileBoot or DaphileData)
Samba file server configuration support for internal drives
CD ripping configuration options added for automatic start, disc eject, ripping target disk, CD drive offset and to disable ripping service
Support for Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC (thanks to KahLeong for testing)
DSD playback fix for HW with max rate above 192kHz
Sample rate limit configuration added
Kernel audio module parameter configurations added to web UI
Other minor changes and bug fixes

sfraser
2013-09-10, 07:22
I am sorry if this is a silly question, but I have looked through your URL and this thread and I am trying to determine if your "headless server software" will support existing squeezebox's? The diagram on your web page depicts a USB connection from the server directly to an external DAC. It states in writing the S/W is based on opensource Squeezebox Server S/W, but it doesn't actually state if it will stream/support logitech squeezebox players?

Thanks for your time and the effort!

Scott

kipeta
2013-09-10, 10:10
I am sorry if this is a silly question, but I have looked through your URL and this thread and I am trying to determine if your "headless server software" will support existing squeezebox's? The diagram on your web page depicts a USB connection from the server directly to an external DAC. It states in writing the S/W is based on opensource Squeezebox Server S/W, but it doesn't actually state if it will stream/support logitech squeezebox players?

Thanks for your time and the effort!

Scott
Hi Scott,

I don't see any reason why it would not work with other squeezebox players. However I'm not able to verify it by myself. I have the Duet that works fine. It's also compatible with many (all that I have tried) third party plugins and apps of squeezebox ecosystem.

sfraser
2013-09-10, 12:13
Hi Scott,

I don't see any reason why it would not work with other squeezebox players. However I'm not able to verify it by myself. I have the Duet that works fine. It's also compatible with many (all that I have tried) third party plugins and apps of squeezebox ecosystem.

Thanks for the reply. When I have a moment I will boot up a system with your image and give it a try. Will your server S/W upgrade/downgrade squeezebox player firmware to match the server in a similar manner as the Squeezebox server did/does ?

thanks again.

kipeta
2013-09-10, 12:53
Thanks for the reply. When I have a moment I will boot up a system with your image and give it a try. Will your server S/W upgrade/downgrade squeezebox player firmware to match the server in a similar manner as the Squeezebox server did/does ?

thanks again.
Hi, I must say that I'm not sure.

Daphile does not include the Firmware folder of Logitech Media Server distributions (like: squeezebox.version, squeezebox_40.bin, ...). I read from the licence agreement that "Squeezebox firmare may not be redistributed under any circumstances." and I decided to leave them out. If they are required for the upgrade then it's not possible.

Could someone else comment whether I have understood the license agreement right.

kipeta
2013-10-04, 01:52
CHANGES on October 4th 2013:

CD ripping supports AccurateRip™ verification (see: www.accuraterip.com)
CD drive offset calibration added to Settings – CD Ripping (required for AccurateRip™)
Improvements and bug fixes for Wireless configuration and initialization
Bug fixes for network drive mounting and RW-mode
Some package updates (eg. LMS-7.8.0-1380278780)

kipeta
2013-10-18, 06:44
CHANGES on October 18th 2013:

First 32bit x86 release for i486 and above
Composer (available only for classical music) and Label tags for ripping
Shutdown and restart button to main menu
TRIM support for ext4 SSD partitions
WLAN HW switch detection (RFKILL; "Connect Wi-Fi: HW switch disabled")
Bug fixes (eg. some DSF playback fixes) and minor changes

dminches
2013-10-18, 12:46
I read through the information on the web site, including the diagram, but I am confused as to how people are using this. I understand the server side but not the player side. I see that I can connect the server to a USB dac. Am I able to use my Touch? How does the touch connect to the server?

kipeta
2013-10-19, 01:29
I read through the information on the web site, including the diagram, but I am confused as to how people are using this. I understand the server side but not the player side. I see that I can connect the server to a USB dac. Am I able to use my Touch? How does the touch connect to the server?
Hi,

In the simplest form Daphile is a "one box" solution (one PC) consisting both server and player (or several players. Each audio device - internal or USB - would be configured automatically as an independent player). You would not need external player but they should work fine and connect to the server side (LMS) of Daphile. It's also possible to use Daphile as a sole player and configure player to connect to either an other Daphile server or other existing LMS.

I hope my answer does not confuse more. There's quite a variety of possibilities for usage. I should draw more diagrams for different use scenarios.

finnbrodersen
2013-10-19, 07:52
very fine work indeed, hope I find the time to check it out in more detail :-)

mintaudio
2013-10-20, 01:57
Do you have a list of (or can name a few at least) of supported wifi adapters (particularly for AP mode)?

I have tried a couple - One unknown (A ralink based chipset I believe) didn't work at all and the other Intel 3925ABG lists fine but refuses to to connect to my hub (Works fine in Debian)
I have got some Intel 4965AGN cards but they are all in devices on loan at the moment.

kipeta
2013-10-21, 14:12
Do you have a list of (or can name a few at least) of supported wifi adapters (particularly for AP mode)?

I have tried a couple - One unknown (A ralink based chipset I believe) didn't work at all and the other Intel 3925ABG lists fine but refuses to to connect to my hub (Works fine in Debian)
I have got some Intel 4965AGN cards but they are all in devices on loan at the moment.

Hi,

Sorry but I don't have the list. I'll send you tomorrow the list of three models I have successfully used in AP mode by myself. I'll also try to find out what's wrong with the Intel 3925ABG. Could you help me by sending info what driver it 's using in Linux and does it require firmware files?

kipeta
2013-10-22, 06:10
Hi,

Sorry but I don't have the list. I'll send you tomorrow the list of three models I have successfully used in AP mode by myself. I'll also try to find out what's wrong with the Intel 3925ABG. Could you help me by sending info what driver it 's using in Linux and does it require firmware files?

I have successfully used these Wifi adapters in AP mode with Daphile:
Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235, rev 24 (iwlwifi)
Atheros AR9285 Rev:2 (ath9k) Mini Pci-express card
ZyDAS ZD1211B 802.11g (zd1211rw) USB WLAN dongle

Daphile Wifi hotspot is using hostapd and it's configured with driver=nl80211. Maybe you could find more compatible adapter by googling for example: hostapd nl80211 compatible adapter. And let's hope some other users would share their experiences.

One of my Wifi adapter (rtl8192ce: Using firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin) does not work properly in AP mode although "iw phy phy0 info" claims "Supported interface modes: AP". The hotspot seems to be working but the authentication fails.

Sorry but I could not find any info related to Intel 3925ABG which would have helped to understand the problem. Daphile consists the driver and firmware for Intel 3945ABG but....

mintaudio
2013-10-22, 06:38
Thanks for the info -Will try one of those. The Intel 3925ABG will display the APs, but not connect when given the key. This normally works fine with wpa-supplicant.

I will try booting up with a live cd at some point so I can identify the driver.

mintaudio
2013-10-23, 02:43
Just to add that this is a very well resolved little distro.

Anyone thinking of trying Vortexbox or wanting a CSOS alternative for regular x86 PC hardware should give this a spin - It uses a firmware file rather than being a repository based distribution so you are much less likely to run into problems with upgrades.
The downside is that there is less tinkering potential, but all the latest developments are included and there are a wealth of configurable options for hardware and playback.

kipeta
2013-10-24, 12:42
CHANGES on October 24th 2013:

Fix the playback of music with sample rate not support by audio device
Include the staging WLAN drivers
Kernel minor level upgrade
Bug fixes and minor changes

mintaudio
2013-10-25, 04:02
Popped in Centrino 6235 and it's working in AP mode. However, it's still not connecting to my router (It's a BT Homehub - a common ISP provided unit in the UK).
The router is a B/G/N device , currently running on channel 11 and using WPA & WPA2 encryption and a visible SSID (standard settings).

I've got a Draytek router which I've prepped for the new office (internet arrives next week). I may try that, but it would be useful to bottom out why it's not connecting to a very common box.

kipeta
2013-10-25, 04:35
Popped in Centrino 6235 and it's working in AP mode. However, it's still not connecting to my router (It's a BT Homehub - a common ISP provided unit in the UK).
The router is a B/G/N device , currently running on channel 11 and using WPA & WPA2 encryption and a visible SSID (standard settings).

I've got a Draytek router which I've prepped for the new office (internet arrives next week). I may try that, but it would be useful to bottom out why it's not connecting to a very common box.

Hi,

Please contact me through www.daphile.com contact form so we can continue by email exchange and try to debug your router connection problem. Send also the netmgr log from your Daphile box (http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel) after it has failed to connect to router.

Regards
Kimmo

raven22
2013-10-28, 11:14
- Can i set a fixed ip? the http://daphile.local does not work on my (ubuntu) box. I run daphile as virtual machine in proxmox.

- how do i define where the music files are stored? I mount this location via a added nfs, but there is a red sign next to the share?

kipeta
2013-10-29, 05:49
- Can i set a fixed ip? the http://daphile.local does not work on my (ubuntu) box. I run daphile as virtual machine in proxmox.

Fixed/static IP is one of the requested features. It would be basically pretty simple to implement but it requires some special care because Daphile is designed to operate headless (no local console UI) and the only way to connect is through the network connection. So how to fix Daphile configuration if there is something wrong with the static IP conf? And how to do initial configuration? Those are the questions/problems for which I want to have good solutions before I implement them.

- how do i define where the music files are stored? I mount this location via a added nfs, but there is a red sign next to the share?

NFS configuration should be simple. For the "Remote target" column you input the server name or address and the directory path to the music library. The "Identification" column can be any alias name, for example "MusicLibrary". if you want to be able rip CDs directly to NFS share you must check the RW box.

On the server side you must verify the it allows Daphile to mount the share (on Linux server check the /etc/exports). Below is example from my server:

# /etc/exports: NFS file systems being exported. See exports(5).
/data 10.0.1.0/24(sync,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

So my "Remote target" is "10.0.1.2:/data/music/library".
Daphile's own IP address must be among allowed ones.

kipeta
2013-10-29, 06:43

I forgot to mention that the "Bridged network" configuration should work better in the virtualization environments (I don't know if proxmox supports it).

kipeta
2013-10-31, 03:49
CHANGES on October 31st 2013

WLAN bug fix (WPA2+TKIP and WPA+AES/CCMP AP cases fixed)
Warm restart speed-up with kexec (default; option for BIOS boot)
Minor changes and bug fixes

Holzohr
2013-11-01, 09:50
Hello kipeta,

many thanks for this Daphile! It works superb with my Matrix X-Sabre. Even DSD128 where the SBT (with the EDO app) has its limits. Not sure if I miss any features more at the moment.
Where to send the donuts? :)

Best regards
Mario

alzy
2013-11-03, 17:10
Using iso on cd and older Dell Windows PC. Get Daphile splash screen that hangs at "Waiting for network connection" . Using internal network card with cable. Unable to connect with browser. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-03, 22:35
Using iso on cd and older Dell Windows PC. Get Daphile splash screen that hangs at "Waiting for network connection" . Using internal network card with cable. Unable to connect with browser. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Two possible reasons for the problem:
- Do you have DHCP-server running in the network you are connecting to? Daphile currently requires DHCP server.
- Daphile probably does not have the driver (or firmware) for you network card. Do you know what driver does it require in Linux? What's the model?

alzy
2013-11-04, 03:19
Yes DHCP is enabled.

Network card is Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

No idea if linux driver is available.

Thanks for the help

kipeta
2013-11-04, 04:15
Yes DHCP is enabled.

Network card is Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

No idea if linux driver is available.

Thanks for the help

Daphile has the driver (b44) for your ethernet adapter. I have to say that I'm not able to say what's wrong. Sorry!

I searched google a little bit with keywords "b44 ethernet problem". There seems to be some Linux related problems (most of them already from 2004-2005). I noticed from couple of sources that the cold boot could work better than warn reboot i.e. don't reboot from Windows but rather shutdown completely before starting from the CD. If this helps then you should perhaps also change the Daphile's "Warm restart" setting and enable "Reboot through BIOS" (I found some problems related to using kexec kernel and b44).

alzy
2013-11-04, 05:08
Did a cold reboot. After several minutes "Waiting for network connection" screen changed to blank screen but still cannot connect from browser using another network PC. Does the blank screen on Daphile PC indicate that it is now on the network? If so what else can I try to connect to it. http://daphile and daphile. do not work.

pierreh
2013-11-04, 05:26
[...]
Daphile is designed to operate headless (no local console UI) and the only way to connect is through the network connection.
Hello,
Some people as me need a standalone server/player with local graphical UI (with no mandatory network connection).
Daphile being designed to run on a standard (laptop) pc with screen and keyboard, why did you restrain it to run as headless ?

kipeta
2013-11-04, 06:26
Did a cold reboot. After several minutes "Waiting for network connection" screen changed to blank screen but still cannot connect from browser using another network PC. Does the blank screen on Daphile PC indicate that it is now on the network? If so what else can I try to connect to it. http://daphile and daphile. do not work.

The screen blanking happens to be just the screensaver feature. When/if the network connection is established there will be a new message (don't remember exactly but something like: "Ready. Use the web interface.").

Unfortunately it seems there is some kind of problem related to your network adapter. If you send me a message through the www.daphile.com contact form we could try continue with email exchange and try to solve the problem. Send me also the exact model of laptop.

kipeta
2013-11-04, 06:37
Hello,
Some people as me need a standalone server/player with local graphical UI (with no mandatory network connection).
Daphile being designed to run on a standard (laptop) pc with screen and keyboard, why did you restrain it to run as headless ?

The main reason is the enormous support effort required for different display adapters, screen resolutions, input devices, keyboard layouts, etc... and the combinations of them.

The Daphile idea originated from the need to get a headless music server to the hifi rack. There is no place / need for display in such a device (in my opinion). The control happens through the network and most preferably with tablet app.

Sorry but it's difficult to please everyone ;-).

pierreh
2013-11-04, 08:10
The main reason is the enormous support effort required for different display adapters, screen resolutions, input devices, keyboard layouts, etc... and the combinations of them.

The Daphile idea originated from the need to get a headless music server to the hifi rack. There is no place / need for display in such a device (in my opinion). The control happens through the network and most preferably with tablet app.

Sorry but it's difficult to please everyone ;-).
Thank you for your reply.
In my opinion, there is no need / no place for a network (either wired or wireless) in my music room, especially in the hifi rack. Also using a pc for a headless server is more expansive than a dedicated hardware such as wandboard, etc.
But it's ok, Daphile is just not for me. Other people should be happy with it.

alzy
2013-11-04, 11:53
Installed PCI network card and can now access web page!

Thanks!

alzy
2013-11-04, 12:18
Can Daphile access music files on another netwoked Wind0ws PC? If so how to configure?

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-04, 14:10
Can Daphile access music files on another netwoked Wind0ws PC? If so how to configure?

Thanks

I don't use Windows by myself and I haven't ever tried it but I think it could work if you share the folder from Windows PC. And configure Daphile with CIFS Storage. The "Remote target" configuration would be something like "username@windowPC:/ShareName". Give the password, set "Identification" filed to anything you like and give it a try. But I can't help you anyway with the Windows configurations.

alzy
2013-11-04, 14:28
Does the blank HD drive for Daphile installation need to be formated first? If so what file system. As you can tell I am not a Linux person!

Thanks

Holzohr
2013-11-04, 17:22
Let the hard disk blank. No need to format before.

Mnyb
2013-11-04, 23:17
The server in the hifi rack ? That's actually the exact opposite of the original squeezebox idea .

Players ( multiple of them if you wish ) where the music should be and server tucked away somewhere else .

Pulling music from players with thier ir remote screen or nowadays tablet or phone app , with the now ever present laptops the web UI see regular use as a remote UI too ,it's really more of an admin interface not a music player program per see .
But the web-UI is a bit ambivalent here to it does offer some music experience on screen and some plugins can get you bio's and pictures and lyrics etc .

Another way to get the Squeebox idea " wrong " is to think of it as a long cable to the soundcard ( which it technically is not thank you very much ) . but the server can be coaxed into do this to ? There are plugins to media monkey and foobar 2000 for that .
And you can sit in front of the pc and push music to the hifi like in the old days ( I did some of that before I got squeezeboxes ) .
If this is your usage patern I would actually sugest getting a long cable to the soundcard :D

But it does make me think ,that this software is so flexible that it can be used in so many ways even in scenarios not existing when it first was conceived and even in ways that it actually was designed to remedy .
Sorry to see Logitech miss so much opportunities ?

What do we have at least 2 derivative of the server daphile and vortexbox ( I think there some more adaptations out there ) and hopefully even more adaptations in the future .

But never mind my long winded post . I'm just trying to figure who this product is made for ?

Is there a use case for daphile as a regular server edition for a headless server , or I'm I better of with others . I'm quite happy using a *ux OS and tuck,it away somewhere and I do cd ripping with other computers ? No usb DAC or similar even close to where my server usually is .

You can also develop stuff that LMS and is web are not so good at , playlist creation for example is a bit primitive and always associated with a player .

kipeta
2013-11-05, 00:52
The server in the hifi rack ? That's actually the exact opposite of the original squeezebox idea .
But never mind my long winded post . I'm just trying to figure who this product is made for ?

Is there a use case for daphile as a regular server edition for a headless server , or I'm I better of with others . I'm quite happy using a *ux OS and tuck,it away somewhere and I do cd ripping with other computers ? No usb DAC or similar even close to where my server usually is .

Daphile is surely not for everyone. There are trade-offs in making selections and it's difficult please everyone.

My target is to develop a distribution that would be easy to setup and maintain also for a non-technical person (I know: still work to do ;-).
Related to this target I considered that Daphile should enable also some kind of "one box solution". In practice the simplest setup would now be a Daphile PC equipped with hotspot compatible Wifi adapter, control device (tablet or smart phone) and USB speakers. And an audiophile version of that when you put the same PC to hifi rack and connect it to highend USB DAC. No need for other network devices or even network connection (control device would connect to hotspot established by Daphile PC). This might be "wrong" and against Squeezebox's original idea but I wonder...

It's of course possible to use Daphile in more complex configurations. Or use it for the player only PC and it connects to other server. Or use it as a server only SW-package.

If you are a person who is experienced with Linux and who likes to extend system with additional packages and fine tune system with full control, etc... Daphile is probably not for you. But please try it and give it a change ;-).

Holzohr
2013-11-05, 01:20
The server in the hifi rack ?

In the case of Daphile... yes! Somewhere hidden in the hifi rack (when you don`t need that cd ripping), next to the USB DAC for having a short USB-connection. I guess I will buy this Shuttle thingy http://www.shuttle.eu/products/slim/xs35v3l/overview/ ,
adding some RAM and a small spare 30 GB SSD.

I was using the EDO app for April/May last year. At first for giving out 176.4 and 192kHz via the coax output. Then for streaming DoP to an USB DAC. The advantage (to me) of Daphile opposite to the SBT with the EDO app is that hotplugging between the USB DAC and such a Daphile system (I like to use my SBT as a clock in standby mode), furthermore the DSD128 playback (of course, that's the absolute niche) and especially the on-the-fly converting from DSD files to DoP. So you don`t need to create these DoP files before anymore. I think that' s helpful also for the backup.

Daphile is to me a kind of "in-between" server. All the music remains on the NAS of course, far away from the hifi rack :)

alzy
2013-11-05, 05:06
Got Daphile to work booting from Live CD. PC has motherboard NIC which Daphile would not work with so added PCI NIC after which Daphile reliably connected to LAN. Then successfully installed Daphile to empty HDD and now it will not connect to LAN. My guess is it is now not seeing the PCI NIC and maybe trying to work with the motherboard NIC. Why does it not work when installed on HDD but does work from CD? Any way to fix?

kipeta
2013-11-05, 09:38
Got Daphile to work booting from Live CD. PC has motherboard NIC which Daphile would not work with so added PCI NIC after which Daphile reliably connected to LAN. Then successfully installed Daphile to empty HDD and now it will not connect to LAN. My guess is it is now not seeing the PCI NIC and maybe trying to work with the motherboard NIC. Why does it not work when installed on HDD but does work from CD? Any way to fix?
It's strange.

This is just a long shot but try to disable the motherboard NIC from BIOS setup.

What happens when you boot from HDD? "Waiting for network connection"?

alzy
2013-11-05, 09:58
Disabled "Netwrk Interface Controller" in bios but did not fix issue.

Yes get "Waiting for Netwrk Connection" screen and hangs there.

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-05, 10:10
Disabled "Netwrk Interface Controller" in bios but did not fix issue.

Yes get "Waiting for Netwrk Connection" screen and hangs there.

Thanks

I understood that the computer is quite old and it somehow sounds to me like a some kind hardware resource conflict. Do you have BIOS setting for "Plug & Play Operating System"? Switch that ON. Are the hardware resource assignments done automatically? Are there other boards connected?

Mnyb
2013-11-05, 11:34
Daphile is surely not for everyone. There are trade-offs in making selections and it's difficult please everyone.

My target is to develop a distribution that would be easy to setup and maintain also for a non-technical person (I know: still work to do ;-).
Related to this target I considered that Daphile should enable also some kind of "one box solution". In practice the simplest setup would now be a Daphile PC equipped with hotspot compatible Wifi adapter, control device (tablet or smart phone) and USB speakers. And an audiophile version of that when you put the same PC to hifi rack and connect it to highend USB DAC. No need for other network devices or even network connection (control device would connect to hotspot established by Daphile PC). This might be "wrong" and against Squeezebox's original idea but I wonder...

It's of course possible to use Daphile in more complex configurations. Or use it for the player only PC and it connects to other server. Or use it as a server only SW-package.

If you are a person who is experienced with Linux and who likes to extend system with additional packages and fine tune system with full control, etc... Daphile is probably not for you. But please try it and give it a change ;-).

I'm just happy that there is diversity it makes the ecosystem stronger , personally I don't need the DoP capacity or USB conectivity . I may need an easy to setup server OS someday. Logitech's own support is somewhat erratic for some distros mr Herger does his best , but he still only one guy .
Hopefully you and other 3rd party devs share patches etc that would benefit all .

alzy
2013-11-05, 11:40
Its a Plug n Play PC Dell Dimension 2400 circa 2004. Only PCI boards are NIC and modem. Computer otherwise works great. I have had it twice now connect to internet out of maybe 20 starts. Not reliable.

Can Daphile rip to FLAC??

alzy
2013-11-06, 04:57
Getting multiple ripping errors on all cds.
Example from log. but there is plenty of storage space on harddrive:

Ripping from sector 89460 (track 5 [0:00.00])
to sector 122909 (track 5 [7:25.74])

outputting to /dev/shm/tmp.06S7qYOvZy/track5.wav

write (in buffering_write, full buffer): No space left on device
Error writing output: No space left on device
Wed Nov 6 11:48:52 UTC 2013: Terminating...
Wed Nov 6 11:49:01 UTC 2013: Track 7 canceled.

How do I fix?

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-06, 05:10
This error indicates that your Daphile PC is running out of memory. The temporary files during the ripping are stored on RAM (tmpfs filesystem).
How much do you have memory on your PC?

Getting multiple ripping errors on all cds.
Example from log. but there is plenty of storage space on harddrive:

Ripping from sector 89460 (track 5 [0:00.00])
to sector 122909 (track 5 [7:25.74])

outputting to /dev/shm/tmp.06S7qYOvZy/track5.wav

write (in buffering_write, full buffer): No space left on device
Error writing output: No space left on device
Wed Nov 6 11:48:52 UTC 2013: Terminating...
Wed Nov 6 11:49:01 UTC 2013: Track 7 canceled.

How do I fix?

Thanks

raven22
2013-11-06, 05:15
NFS configuration should be simple. For the "Remote target" column you input the server name or address and the directory path to the music library. The "Identification" column can be any alias name, for example "MusicLibrary". if you want to be able rip CDs directly to NFS share you must check the RW box.

On the server side you must verify the it allows Daphile to mount the share (on Linux server check the /etc/exports). Below is example from my server:

# /etc/exports: NFS file systems being exported. See exports(5).
/data 10.0.1.0/24(sync,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

So my "Remote target" is "10.0.1.2:/data/music/library".
Daphile's own IP address must be among allowed ones.

Can't get it to work, there is stil a red sign next to the mount line. All other devices in my network are able to see and use the nfs shares so the setup on the server should be ok.

kipeta
2013-11-06, 05:25
Can't get it to work, there is stil a red sign next to the mount line. All other devices in my network are able to see and use the nfs shares so the setup on the server should be ok.

Send me a message through the contact form on www.daphile.com and we could continue with email exchange.

alzy
2013-11-06, 08:12
Re: ripping errors- I have 1GB Ram. What do I need?

BTW, Seem to have fixed the issue with"Waiting for network connection" by disabling on board NIC in BIOS PRIOR TO
installing Daphile to HDD!

Thanks for the help.

kipeta
2013-11-06, 08:30
Re: ripping errors- I have 1GB Ram. What do I need?

BTW, Seem to have fixed the issue with"Waiting for network connection" by disabling on board NIC in BIOS PRIOR TO
installing Daphile to HDD!

Thanks for the help.

1GB should be fine. There must be something else. Please reboot the Daphile, try to rip one CD and send me the full ripping log.

Please send it through the contact form on www.daphile.com.

alzy
2013-11-06, 11:44
1GB should be fine. There must be something else. Please reboot the Daphile, try to rip one CD and send me the full ripping log.

Please send it through the contact form on www.daphile.com.

Log sent via email.

kipeta
2013-11-06, 12:25
Log sent via email.

Did you receive my reply (below) by email?

Hi,

Does the interface indicate that it is decoding several tracks at the same
time?

Could you also test that you rip only one or two tracks at the time?

It seems to me that your PC is so slow that there will be too much
parallel decoding work and that causes memory shortage. Of course I should
try fix this somehow in future version by prevent parallel work if memory
is running out.

Regards
Kimmo

alzy
2013-11-06, 12:44
Did you receive my reply (below) by email?

Hi,

Does the interface indicate that it is decoding several tracks at the same
time?

Could you also test that you rip only one or two tracks at the time?

It seems to me that your PC is so slow that there will be too much
parallel decoding work and that causes memory shortage. Of course I should
try fix this somehow in future version by prevent parallel work if memory
is running out.

Regards
Kimmo

Kimmo,

No did not receive your email....

Its a 2.4Ghz Celeron. That's not fast enough!

It is processing several tracks at once sometimes 3,4 or more.

I don't know during what part of the process . I think both ripping and encoding.

Can you fix this? I have spent a lot of time getting Daphile running and I almost have this working!

Regards,
Al

alzy
2013-11-06, 12:48
The CPU speed under Daphile settings is set to 1.1ghz. What shpuld I set it to ? 2.2ghz?

kipeta
2013-11-06, 13:47
The CPU speed under Daphile settings is set to 1.1ghz. What shpuld I set it to ? 2.2ghz?
I think it's single core CPU and 1.1GHz might be too low for encoding to FLAC in realtime.

Just try something higher. But could you also try to rip only one or two tracks at the same time. And wait until they are decoded before you rip more. This is just to check that the reason for the problem is clear. I'll definitely try to fix it for the next release.

alzy
2013-11-06, 16:52
It appears to rip and encode 2 tracks at a time successfully. I have tried that now several times. I have not listened yet to the music files. I am assuming that the rips are successful based upon the green check next to the tracks being processed.

alzy
2013-11-06, 18:31
I had one cd where the ripper screen showed a green check mark for each of its 7 tracks but there were actually only 4 tracks in the data folder. How can that happen? i had to re-rip the missing 3 tracks.

alzy
2013-11-07, 04:43
What should I enter in the Remote Target box to access a windows shared folder for the following case:

windows folder is shared with everyone. PC and folder do not require password.

PC name: MEDIAPC
Shared folder: MyCloud This folder is on windows drive K:
Workgroup: MsHome

Thanks!

kipeta
2013-11-07, 07:57
I had one cd where the ripper screen showed a green check mark for each of its 7 tracks but there were actually only 4 tracks in the data folder. How can that happen? i had to re-rip the missing 3 tracks.

Hi, Are you somehow able to repeat this problem and send the rip log?

kipeta
2013-11-07, 08:01
What should I enter in the Remote Target box to access a windows shared folder for the following case:

Thanks!
I don't use Windows and it's a bit difficult to guide but you could try following for "Remote target":
MsHome/alzy@MEDIAPC:/MyCloud

I assumed your username to be alzy. MyCloud is assumed to be the share name for shared folder.

Holzohr
2013-11-07, 08:08

cifs:// (your)username@ip_of_your_ MEDIAPC:/MyCloud

P.S.: I was installing Daphile on a Shuttle Barebone today. It was strange a bit. Booting from USB stick it found the (wired) network connection quickly, then after installing on hard disk and booting again it didn`t find the network connection. The solution was to delete the "old" daphile ip-address in the router menu.
Now the LMS is scanning the folders... *thumbs up*

alzy
2013-11-07, 08:57
Kimmo,

I will try later today to repeat problem/send log. thanks again for the help!

Holzhr,

Your CIFS entry worked. Thanks!!

Alzy

alzy
2013-11-07, 14:37
Find that often neither the eject button on ripping screen nor the eject button on CD drive will open drive bay. Have to manually open CD drive with wire thru hole. Very annoying.

alzy
2013-11-08, 06:56
Kimmo,

Ripped 2 more cds to try and repeat issue as you asked.

Took awhile as I can only rip 2 tracks at a time.

1 cd ripped all tracks successfully per the log file but never encoded them. Aborted after 2+ hours. ripper appeared hung.

Second CD ripped with no issues.

alzy
2013-11-08, 09:26
Also is it possible to use an external USB drive or network drive for storage and rip directly to it?

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-08, 10:06
Also is it possible to use an external USB drive or network drive for storage and rip directly to it?

Thanks

Yes. You first have to configure target drive as read-write ("RW") in Settings -> Storages. The default rip target drive can be configured under Settings -> CD Ripping. You should be also able to slect ripping target from CD Rip tab (if drive is RW).

I have also had very random eject problems with one old cd-drive. So far I haven't found any solution.

For the ripping I'll try do some improvements for the next release but you'll have to wait for those still couple of days.

alzy
2013-11-09, 10:22
Set up external USB drive for data and as network share no probs.

Looking forward to the fix for my ripping issue.

Daphile is a great product. Can't wait to start using it in my HT setup. Let me know when you have an update to test.

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-09, 11:48
CHANGES on November 9th 2013:

Bug fixes for CD ripping, multitrack FLAC+CUE problem & NFS mounting
Multitrack FLAC+CUE problem fix requires "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan (Info tab)
CD ripping FLAC compression level setting added (default:5)

alzy
2013-11-09, 13:32
Kimmo,

Thanks for the update!

I ripped 2 cds and both ripped/decoded successfully.

I did notice that on the first cd the browser stayed on the Ripper Status page and never went to the CD information page but seemed to rip/encode ok. The second cd eventually went to the CD info as expected.

kipeta
2013-11-10, 01:38
IMPORTANT bug fix for CD ripping (bug in previous 13.11-b091420 build).

alzy
2013-11-11, 12:28
Kimmo,

Still getting rip errors. Log sent by contact form.

Alzy

vanye
2013-11-11, 14:07
I run Daphile from a stick on an old HP notebook using the internal soundcard as player. Today was the second time the music just stopped. IPeng showed the song still playing, however on restarting iPeng there was no player anymore. By restarting Daphile and deleting the playlist I could get it to play again for a short time, but then it stopped again. The first time I got it to work again by formatting the stick and re-installing Daphile.

Can I send you a log? If yes, how do I do that?

Regards
vanye

kipeta
2013-11-11, 14:56
I run Daphile from a stick on an old HP notebook using the internal soundcard as player. Today was the second time the music just stopped. IPeng showed the song still playing, however on restarting iPeng there was no player anymore. By restarting Daphile and deleting the playlist I could get it to play again for a short time, but then it stopped again. The first time I got it to work again by formatting the stick and re-installing Daphile.

Can I send you a log? If yes, how do I do that?

Regards
vanye

Does the Daphile web page work after the "music stop" problem? Does it respond in any way (iPeng continues to show the progress even if it does not get connection to server, so that's not a sign of life ;-)?
Do you have anything special on screen?
What version are you using? i486 or x86_64? The latest?
What is the laptop model? CPU?
Was the music file such that it needed to be transcoded? Sample rate supported by audio device?
Did you really have reinstall? Didn't it boot otherwise?

Lots of questions...I think it might be better if you send all the information via the contact form on www.daphile.com and we can continue by email exchange.

alzy
2013-11-11, 15:49
Also sometimes the ripper crashes after only processing some of the tracks. On one cd it ripped and transcoded 14 of 19 tracks then the page went back to the CD status screen but with no eject button. Had to reboot Daphile to get it to recognize the same cd again and complete the ripping/transcoding process. What would cause that behavior?

alzy
2013-11-11, 16:51
Also I replaced the CD drive with a DVD drive and there are still times when the Daphile Eject button does not work . I think it may be a software issue.

vanye
2013-11-12, 01:05
@ kipeta
Will do. Thanks!

Regards
vanye

kipeta
2013-11-12, 01:32
Also sometimes the ripper crashes after only processing some of the tracks. On one cd it ripped and transcoded 14 of 19 tracks then the page went back to the CD status screen but with no eject button. Had to reboot Daphile to get it to recognize the same cd again and complete the ripping/transcoding process. What would cause that behavior?

Are you using USB CD/DVD drive or internal (SATA or IDE?)?

I have experienced some similar problems with USB drive that is powered from USB port and in my case the problem was that the CD drive didn't get enough power from USB port.

What do you mean "CD status screen"? What was the text on the screen? Was there "CD information"?

alzy
2013-11-12, 06:40
Are you using USB CD/DVD drive or internal (SATA or IDE?)?

I have experienced some similar problems with USB drive that is powered from USB port and in my case the problem was that the CD drive didn't get enough power from USB port.

What do you mean "CD status screen"? What was the text on the screen? Was there "CD information"?

Drive is IDE.

Meant Ripper Status Screen Which says: "Please insert audio CD into drive to proceed".

alzy
2013-11-18, 06:47
Kimmo,

Is there another release planned soon?

Thanks

kipeta
2013-11-18, 06:51
Kimmo,

Is there another release planned soon?

Thanks

I could provide you a private test version today. I have some stability improvements and couple of bug fixes. I'll send you an email later.

kipeta
2013-11-28, 01:02
CHANGES on November 28th 2013:

Linux kernel upgrade from 3.8 to 3.12 series (improved audio device support)
Bug fixes and minor improvements mostly for CD ripping and networking

Holzohr
2013-11-28, 11:36
Hi Kimmo,
thanks for the update. Can not tell anything about the CD ripping. I have deactivated this feature here. (I have hidden the "Daphile Box" in the rack behind my CD player.)
Btw, I miss a "Donate" button on your website. You must be a philanthropist :)

Thanks again for this Daphile. Only my SBT is not that happy these days I guess. I use it just as a display for the "extern player", the USB DAC, at the moment.
Regards

Mario

kipeta
2013-12-18, 11:55
CHANGES on December 18th 2013

Some package updates (Perl, LMS, kernel, etc...)
Bug fixes (incl. Mytek DAC driver problem with previous version)

kipeta
2013-12-23, 01:07
CHANGES on December 22nd 2013:
IPv4LL used as backup for direct PC to PC connections
Volume control bug of the routerless setup fixed
WMA playback fixed for WMA radio streams
Boot graphics mode changed to 800x600x16bit to improve compatibility

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-23, 03:20
Only my SBT is not that happy these days I guess. I use it just as a display for the "extern player", the USB DAC, at the moment.

Well if Daphile is based on LMS then I guess you can still use your SBT to connect to your "Daphile machine" and play music with the SBT. You could even install Triode's EDO path on the SBT and connect it via USB to your DAC.

realmadrid
2013-12-23, 12:56
Any feedback is warmly welcomed![/QUOTE]

Hi kipeta:

Which distribution and version to choose in unetbootin to create the USB-flash to install Daphile?

Thanks in advance.

Juan

kipeta
2013-12-31, 02:11

Hi kipeta:

Which distribution and version to choose in unetbootin to create the USB-flash to install Daphile?

Thanks in advance.

Juan[/QUOTE]

You have use ISO-file option for the Daphile ISO file that you have to download manually.

Holzohr
2013-12-31, 02:44
Only my SBT is not that happy these days I guess. I use it just as a display for the "extern player", the USB DAC, at the moment.

Well if Daphile is based on LMS then I guess you can still use your SBT to connect to your "Daphile machine" and play music with the SBT. You could even install Triode's EDO path on the SBT and connect it via USB to your DAC.
Oh, I already was using the EDO app with the USB DAC from the Oppo 105 and with the Matrix X-Sabre
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99132-Call-for-testers!-Daphile&p=761290&viewfull=1#post761290

But now due to Daphile my SBT's only job is to be a display for the Matrix X-Sabre. Not really adequate for the SBT. That's what I was trying to say :)

Best wishes for 2014 to everyone!

Mario

Jo308
2014-01-13, 01:41
CHANGES on December 22nd 2013:
IPv4LL used as backup for direct PC to PC connections
Volume control bug of the routerless setup fixed
WMA playback fixed for WMA radio streams
Boot graphics mode changed to 800x600x16bit to improve compatibility

having several problems. have sent a few messages using the contact form on the web page but no answers yet.

Jo

obee
2014-01-15, 23:39
Hi,

I tried Daphile for two days. So far it works like a charm!
I am running Daphile on an Atom all-in-one motherboard. (Intel 2800MT), the board has two LAN ports (RTL8111E). I installed an Intel wifi 802.11n miniPCIe card and run Daphile wireless.
My question is, can Daphile act as DHCP server to lease out IP addresses to the wired LAN port so that I can connect another squeezeplay device and synchronize the two devices? The reason I want to use wired but not wireless because I want to minimize the wireless traffic (only use wireless for control via iPad)
Thanks in advance!

kipeta
2014-01-22, 13:31
Hi,

I tried Daphile for two days. So far it works like a charm!
I am running Daphile on an Atom all-in-one motherboard. (Intel 2800MT), the board has two LAN ports (RTL8111E). I installed an Intel wifi 802.11n miniPCIe card and run Daphile wireless.
My question is, can Daphile act as DHCP server to lease out IP addresses to the wired LAN port so that I can connect another squeezeplay device and synchronize the two devices? The reason I want to use wired but not wireless because I want to minimize the wireless traffic (only use wireless for control via iPad)
Thanks in advance!

Daphile starts the DHCP server for ethernet port if after has failed on its own DHCP request which should enable connection from other client device.

kipeta
2014-01-23, 09:55
Main changes:

Static IP configuration
Option to use Squeezelite player
Support for uncompressed FLAC in CD ripping
Native HD AIFF playback fixed - "Clear library and rescan everything" required after upgrade
Improved support for MMC/SD card readers
Player "Power On Resume" feature adaptation
Installation improvements

Read more about changes from web page.

kipeta
2014-01-26, 07:56
Changes:

Fixed: Previous version "Saving Settings" problem in some situations
Fixed: MMC/SD (mmcblk) booting and installation
Fixed: CIFS mounting in case "sec=ntlmssp" option required
Support added for HFS+ (read-only) and Macintosh partition map
Minor level kernel upgrade (improves kexec restart reliability)

kipeta
2014-01-30, 02:59
Bug fixes:
CIFS "sec=ntlsssp" case should finally work
Some audio device initialization failure cases
Media server start-up failure case
Occasional disappearance of network drives

Other changes:
Power down monitor 1min after network connection
File system clean up – smaller ISO files

kipeta
2014-02-14, 05:44
CHANGES:
Kernel version reverted to 3.12.5-rt7 (some HW platforms have boot problem with 3.12 RT patches rt9-rt15)
More improvements to audio device initialization
Stability fixes for some HW (disable C states > 1)
Minor modifications and fixes to web UI (incl. battery indicator)

kipeta
2014-02-20, 05:13
The CD ripping metadata fetch bug is now fixed. Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

AnthonyH
2014-02-25, 03:48
Hi Guys,

MITAC 8355 Laptop, Schiit Loki USB DSD DAC, 1TB powered USB Hard Drive

what am I doing wrong ?
I'm using a fairly old Windows XP Mitac 8355 laptop and trying to get Daphile up and running but falling at the first hurdle.
Have written the ISO to a CD and booted from it.
The screen suggests that it's loading the necessary and ready. but then goes blank. The main problem I think is that
I haven't been able to get it to connect to my BT router, therefore can't access the web control panel.
I'm a bit of a novice at this and any assistance would be appreciated.

TIA

kipeta
2014-02-25, 04:23
Hi Guys,

MITAC 8355 Laptop, Schiit Loki USB DSD DAC, 1TB powered USB Hard Drive

what am I doing wrong ?
I'm using a fairly old Windows XP Mitac 8355 laptop and trying to get Daphile up and running but falling at the first hurdle.
Have written the ISO to a CD and booted from it.
The screen suggests that it's loading the necessary and ready. but then goes blank. The main problem I think is that
I haven't been able to get it to connect to my BT router, therefore can't access the web control panel.
I'm a bit of a novice at this and any assistance would be appreciated.

TIA

Do you get the message "Ready. Use the Web Interface."?

AnthonyH
2014-02-25, 04:28
Hi,

No; I don't see anything, just a blank screen. Checking with my router settings, I'm not getting a connection either.
Does the software need to see that the USB drive and modem are connected to proceed ?

Do you get the message "Ready. Use the Web Interface."?

kipeta
2014-02-25, 04:37
Hi,

No; I don't see anything, just a blank screen. Checking with my router settings, I'm not getting a connection either.
Does the software need to see that the USB drive and modem are connected to proceed ?

I have heard that unetbootin has problems with some flash drives and the result is the same what you have experienced. Could you please try "Universal USB Installer" (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/) or "Rufus" (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) instead of unetbootin.

AnthonyH
2014-02-25, 04:57
I have heard that unetbootin has problems with some flash drives and the result is the same what you have experienced. Could you please try "Universal USB Installer" (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/) or "Rufus" (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) instead of unetbootin.

I can't boot from a USB device. Don't have the facility in the bios

kipeta
2014-02-25, 05:50
I can't boot from a USB device. Don't have the facility in the bios

Sorry that I didn't remember your first message anymore that you were using CD.

The first message when booting from CD should be something like this:
ISOLINUX 4.07 ....
Loading /boot/fw...../kernel

and after that you should get new screen with Daphile logo and option to give initial network configuration.

If you really don't get anything (not even ISOLINUX text) on screen I would suspect that the CD burning has failed somehow.

If you get ISOLINUX text but not Daphile logo, then it must be some kind of compatibility problem (kernel fails to boot). Which version are you using? i486 or x86_64? And what is your CPU, etc...?

AnthonyH
2014-02-25, 06:06
Sorry that I didn't remember your first message anymore that you were using CD.

ISOLINUX 4.07 ....
Loading /boot/fw...../kernel

and after that you should get new screen with Daphile logo and option to give initial network configuration.

If you really don't get anything (not even ISOLINUX text) on screen I would suspect that the CD burning has failed somehow.

If you get ISOLINUX text but not Daphile logo, then it must be some kind of compatibility problem (kernel fails to boot). Which version are you using? i486 or x86_64? And what is your CPU, etc...?

I do get :
ISOLINUX 4.07 ....
Loading /boot/fw...../kernel and ready
I'm running a fresh install of Windows XP Pro on the Laptop and have gone for the 32bit version of Daphile which after loading doesn't get to the logo screen
Have tried the the 64bit version; but that just keeps rebooting. Processor is a AMD Athlon64.

Info here if you're interested
http://tim.id.au/laptops/noname/mitac%208355.pdf

kipeta
2014-02-26, 08:30
More bug fixes. Hopefully the audio device initialization problems are now fixed (couple of previous releases actually got worse on some setups).

kipeta
2014-03-02, 02:36
I do get :
ISOLINUX 4.07 ....
Loading /boot/fw...../kernel and ready
I'm running a fresh install of Windows XP Pro on the Laptop and have gone for the 32bit version of Daphile which after loading doesn't get to the logo screen
Have tried the the 64bit version; but that just keeps rebooting. Processor is a AMD Athlon64.

Info here if you're interested
http://tim.id.au/laptops/noname/mitac%208355.pdf

Please try this version:
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.4LbPU6aKEl/daphile-14.03-b020922-x86_64.iso

The problems is probably related to the realtime kernel patch incompatibility with certain HW. I happened to find an old single core Turion64 laptop from my closet that had the same CD boot problem but this version with non-realtime kernel worked on it.

pgrammon
2014-03-14, 00:07
Hello !

I'm french i would like translate in French the Daphile menus ,and simplify menu for beginner users

How Can I do ?

I would Like use Daphile in Audiophile Computer we would like to design in my Hifi Shop

Do i to buy a license ?

Can i buy code source ?

Thank a lot

Sincerely
Pascal Grammon
Manager
Adhf a Musicavision Company
6, rue du Pont Vieux
31300 Toulouse
France

joelha
2014-03-14, 10:35
A couple of questions on using Daphile.

1. I have an external Sata drive that I want Daphile to access. My music is kept in a directory called \living room. How do I set Daphile to access that drive?

2. I have the new JCAT USB card which Daphile is not recognizing. Marcin at JPLAY tells me that Ubuntu absolutely recognizes the card. What am I doing wrong that the card is not being recognized?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

kipeta
2014-03-20, 05:11
Hello !

I'm french i would like translate in French the Daphile menus ,and simplify menu for beginner users

How Can I do ?

I would Like use Daphile in Audiophile Computer we would like to design in my Hifi Shop

Do i to buy a license ?

Can i buy code source ?

Thank a lot

Sincerely
Pascal Grammon
Manager
Adhf a Musicavision Company
6, rue du Pont Vieux
31300 Toulouse
France

I have sent you a private message. You can also contact via the contact form on www.daphile.com.

kipeta
2014-03-26, 11:18
CHANGES on March 26th 2014:
Faster kexec reboot disabled by default. It does not fully initialize the hardware and this is known to cause some very strange problems.
Drive partition table erase tool in initial settings at console (USB-boot)
Configurable sample rate change and DoP-PCM mode switch delay parameters for Squeezelite player
Credits at Info tab to show license information of included packages
Some new configurable options for CD ripping
Bug fixes and other minor changes

alzy
2014-03-26, 17:25
Kipeta,

Updated to latest version. now every time I start Daphile it stays on the "Please wait awhile" page and just keeps counting seconds. If I wait a few minutes and go to player page , it loads page but it won't show my networked drives because on every start it wants to rescan media even though on the previous start it completed a total scan of all storage locations. Its now useless.

joelha
2014-03-26, 19:06
Well, after my IT guy looked at the server, he reset the bios which got the hard drive recognized and it also recognized the JCAT card on Daphile.
That’s the good news.
The not yet good news is that while my DAC (DCS Debussy) is now showing up in Daphile, it won’t lock on the signal from the server.
The “lock” light is flashing and the sample and bit rate are stuck on 24-192.
I’ve rebooted (hard and soft) multiple times and have moved the flash drive I’m booting from to a number of different USB port locations.
Still no success.
So close yet I can’t quite get this working.
A screen print of the settings section of Daphile is attached.
Thanks for the help anyone can offer.
Joel

kipeta
2014-03-27, 10:27
Kipeta,

Updated to latest version. now every time I start Daphile it stays on the "Please wait awhile" page and just keeps counting seconds. If I wait a few minutes and go to player page , it loads page but it won't show my networked drives because on every start it wants to rescan media even though on the previous start it completed a total scan of all storage locations. Its now useless.

That's strange and sad :-(. There shouldn't be any changes between last two versions that would cause such problems.

You can disable automatic rescan at Settings (tab) -> Advanced Media Server Setting (button) -> Advanced (tab) -> Performance (select list) -> Automatically detect changes.

kipeta
2014-03-31, 08:16
CHANGES on March 31th 2014:
Linux kernel series 3.12 with realtime patch is still having some issues and that's why the kernel is reverted to latest stable RT patched version in the 3.10 series (please contact if this causes problems on your setup).
Some other minor bug fixes and changes

kipeta
2014-04-17, 05:42
CHANGES on April 17th 2014:
Squeezelite promoted as the default player (SqueezePlay still available)
PCM resampling configuration for Squeezelite
Configuration options for ALSA buffer time and period count parameters
Package updates, eg. security update for openssl

kipeta
2014-05-15, 05:27
CHANGES on the May 14th 2014 version:
RT-kernel upgraded to 3.12.19-rt30. RT 3.12 series reached stable status. KNOWN ISSUE: Some AMD multicore CPUs don't boot without C1E disabled in the BIOS settings (same problem with RT 3.10 series).
Backport patch for USB audio driver: Improve buffer size computations for USB PCM audio (no more nrpacks kernel driver parameter).
Option to initialize a new empty data drive in Settings -> Storage.
DFF ID3 tag scanning fixed. "Clear library and rescan everything" required.

atca
2014-05-17, 20:12
what application / binary do you rely on for CD ripping? I was unaware of accurate rip native applications on Linux.

Julf
2014-05-19, 01:57
what application / binary do you rely on for CD ripping? I was unaware of accurate rip native applications on Linux.

Morituri (http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/)

kipeta
2014-05-19, 03:13

Daphile's ripping system is using CDparanoia, accuraterip-checksum (https://github.com/leo-bogert/accuraterip-checksum), some proprietary self-made modules and script.

As already mentioned Morituri supports AccurateRip verification in Linux (not used in Daphile).

marlo
2014-05-19, 13:20
Is there any way to switch the daphile player (squeezelite) to an external lms from the players interface? Having to enter the server adress via daphile's web interface evertime I like to switch is a little bit annoying...

kipeta
2014-05-19, 14:17
Is there any way to switch the daphile player (squeezelite) to an external lms from the players interface? Having to enter the server adress via daphile's web interface evertime I like to switch is a little bit annoying...

Yes. Go to the web UI of the external server and you should see all players of the network in the player selection list. If you select one that is currently not connected to that server it will ask your confirmation to do the switch. I think all control apps have also some way to switch players from one server to another. I hope I understood your question correctly but I wasn't quite sure what did you mean with "from the players interface".

kipeta
2014-05-22, 11:38
CHANGES on the May 22nd 2014 version:
Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.14.4. CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT patch dropped. Improved stability and compatibility.
Experimental support for the DICE based Firewire DACs, eg. Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC and Weiss INT202/203/DAC202 (none tested).
Suspend functionality
Power button configuration possibility
Some other minor changes and bug fixes

Any feedback is warmly welcomed! I would be especially interested to hear how do the DICE based Firewire DACs work.

vanye
2014-06-01, 14:50
Does anyone use the Teac UD 501 as a DAC with Daphile?

mintaudio
2014-06-04, 03:22
Does anyone use the Teac UD 501 as a DAC with Daphile?

Other linux distros work with this DAC so Daphile will probably be fine.

vanye
2014-06-12, 10:53
When I update my older Version of Daphile (I skipped a couple of updates) to the latest version, I cannot reach the web interface anymore. Has the address changed for newer releases?

kipeta
2014-06-12, 11:35
When I update my older Version of Daphile (I skipped a couple of updates) to the latest version, I cannot reach the web interface anymore. Has the address changed for newer releases?

There is no such change. Do you still get "Ready. Use Web Interface." message on the screen?

If you cannot solve the problem please contact me using the form on the www.daphile.com page and we could continue with emails.

vanye
2014-06-13, 04:15
Other linux distros work with this DAC so Daphile will probably be fine.
Good news on my new DAC Teac UD501. Out of the box it works flawlessly with Daphile as a USB-DAC.

mintaudio
2014-06-14, 00:26
Good news on my new DAC Teac UD501. Out of the box it works flawlessly with Daphile as a USB-DAC.

Great! Have you tested it with DSD? I'd be interested to know if it works at both 2.8 and 5.6Mhz rates. I don't have the relevant hardware here.

vanye
2014-06-14, 01:51
Sorry, I don't have any music files in that format yet.

vanye
2014-06-14, 03:57
Alright, now the update installed without any problems and everything just works as it's supposed to. Don't know why, maybe having a player connected made a difference ...

One thing I would like to add though. The level of support Kimmo provides is plain unbelievable. Always helpful, he responds to all questions in no time flat. Awesome!

mintaudio
2014-06-15, 00:32
Sorry, I don't have any music files in that format yet.

Some free downloads here if you fancy giving DSD a go - http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com/

There's not much available in DSD that I like at moment, so I've yet to make the leap myself!

vanye
2014-06-19, 06:36
Some free downloads here if you fancy giving DSD a go - http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com/

There's not much available in DSD that I like at moment, so I've yet to make the leap myself!

OK, downloaded one of those files and it's playing right now. I doubt though that this format has much of a future. Simply too unwieldly for my taste.

mintaudio
2014-06-21, 23:48
OK, downloaded one of those files and it's playing right now. I doubt though that this format has much of a future. Simply too unwieldly for my taste.

There's some free material here is DSD64, DSD128 and DXD formats if you want to fully test your new setup! https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

kipeta
2014-06-28, 12:22
CHANGES:

DRM/KMS graphics drivers enabled. Could help on HDMI audio.
Firewire support for Mytek DAC fixed (DoP does not work)
DSDIFF scanning fixes.
ALSA buffer time and period count defaults changed
Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.2
Some package updates, other minor changes and bug fixes

kipeta
2014-07-04, 04:08
CHANGES on July 4th 2014:
Fix for the previous version web UI problem with iOS browsers (long link names were not truncated properly in Audio Player view).
CHANGES on July 3rd 2014:
Work-around fix for "ath9k_htc" kernel driver regression (eg. TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi adapter).
Improved current track format info in web UI
Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.3
Other minor changes

rithien
2014-07-06, 12:51

This does not working on microsoft Hyper-V.
Freeze on strartup screen.

Padawan38
2014-07-16, 23:26
Hello

Do you have any advise for memory speed setup in the bios ?
Original speed is 1600mhz.
As an example, PPA recommends to set 800mhz, but the purpose is for Windows/Jplay.

Any idea ?

Thx

joelha
2014-07-17, 07:59
Hello

Do you have any advise for memory speed setup in the bios ?
Original speed is 1600mhz.
As an example, PPA recommends to set 800mhz, but the purpose is for Windows/Jplay.

Any idea ?

Thx

Hi Padawan,

Where would I find the reference from PPA about setting the CPU to 800mhz?

Thanks,

Joel

Padawan38
2014-07-17, 12:41
Hi Padawan,

Where would I find the reference from PPA about setting the CPU to 800mhz?

Thanks,

Joel

Here:

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-phkh6ws-jG8/U0BBUN7V-DI/AAAAAAAABuQ/RYs8uebpp_o/s1600/PICT8573.JPG

local.bin
2014-07-20, 14:04
I wondered if there was any possibility of a ppc version of daphile, so I could repurpose my G4 Mac Mini for ripping my CD to flac?

Unlikely but would be nice :)

kipeta
2014-07-21, 12:34
I wondered if there was any possibility of a ppc version of daphile, so I could repurpose my G4 Mac Mini for ripping my CD to flac?

Unlikely but would be nice :)

Sorry but no to PPC version.

kipeta
2014-07-21, 12:35
CHANGES on July 21st 2014:
DRM/KMS graphics drivers are now disabled by default. The enabling must be confirmed after "Save & Restart" in order to verify that system operates properly. It's recommended that you enable them only if you need them for HDMI audio or they solve some other problem.
Web UI Audio Player view improvements (not supported in touch devices), eg. resize playlist panel and drag & drop reordering of playlist.
Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.6
ALSA buffer time (320ms->100ms) and period count (6->3) defaults changed again for better generic compatibility
Some package updates, other minor changes and bug fixes

kipeta
2014-08-10, 13:12
CHANGES on August 10th 2014:
Pre-emphasis removal option for the CD ripping
Kernel upgrade to the version 3.15.9 and some application package updates

pufnstuf
2014-08-15, 20:13
CHANGES on August 10th 2014:[list]

Thanks kipeta!

I updated 6 days ago and everything is running smoothly for me. :)

Candlemass
2014-08-20, 01:51
Is there no ssh available in Daphile?

Candlemass
2014-08-21, 06:05
Another question: there are only static CPU frequencies configurable in Daphile's settings. Can I somehow change this to the "ondemand" governor? I don't want to waste energy with this 24/7 running server, but I still sometimes need the fastest possible frequency for my large library.

kipeta
2014-08-22, 04:14
Is there no ssh available in Daphile?

No. The main reason is explained here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os-58.html#post4016182

kipeta
2014-08-22, 04:23
Another question: there are only static CPU frequencies configurable in Daphile's settings. Can I somehow change this to the "ondemand" governor? I don't want to waste energy with this 24/7 running server, but I still sometimes need the fastest possible frequency for my large library.

The pre-release version already has an option to use ondemand governor (thanks to your question ;-). If you want to try it, read this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os-59.html#post4032998

Note that the dynamic CPU frequency changes could cause timing inaccuracy and due to that probably even audio glitches. I haven't experience such by myself but remember reading about them (don't remember where).

Candlemass
2014-08-22, 05:32
No. The main reason is explained here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os-58.html#post4016182
OK, that's valid. But it still may be useful for:
* accessing detailed system info, e.g. top
* accessing the /proc and /sys file system for testing (see below)

Note that the dynamic CPU frequency changes could cause timing inaccuracy and due to that probably even audio glitches. I haven't experience such by myself but remember reading about them (don't remember where).
That may be possible, but I never had such issues with up-to-date desktop hardware in (at least) the last 5 years. Anyway: I'm using Daphile as server only, so it does not matter for me :) What matters is power consumption. Therefore I'd like to have some options, which reduce power consumption on my other hardware:

# SATA Link Power Management
for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy; do echo min_power > $i; done

# Runtime PM for PCI Device
for i in /sys/bus/pci/devices/????:??:??.?/power/control; do echo auto > $i; done

USB auto suspend may be an option, too: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption#USB_Subsystem

kipeta
2014-08-22, 11:59
OK, that's valid. But it still may be useful for:
* accessing detailed system info, e.g. top
* accessing the /proc and /sys file system for testing (see below)

That may be possible, but I never had such issues with up-to-date desktop hardware in (at least) the last 5 years. Anyway: I'm using Daphile as server only, so it does not matter for me :) What matters is power consumption. Therefore I'd like to have some options, which reduce power consumption on my other hardware:

# SATA Link Power Management
for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy; do echo min_power > $i; done

# Runtime PM for PCI Device
for i in /sys/bus/pci/devices/????:??:??.?/power/control; do echo auto > $i; done

USB auto suspend may be an option, too: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption#USB_Subsystem

Thanks for the good ideas related to the power saving. I'll definitely consider them later.

I can provide you (or anyone else) on request a private test version that has root password, local console login prompt and ssh server enabled. At the moment I'm not including those in the public release because of the reason explained behind the link I sent earlier (and some other reasons too; they would require some security/access/recovery related work and configuration settings to web UI; not really relevant for most of the users).

Candlemass
2014-08-23, 02:24
Yes, I'm interested in such a version.
Especially if I could reduce power consumption of my Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, that I'm using as Daphile server. Power consumption (idle) is around 5.5 to 6.8 W (depending on CPU frequency settings). According to informations I've found in the internet power consumption should be at around 4 W idle (running Windows). That's actually not much of a difference, but you know: I want to optimize :cool:

BTW: I think such a NUC is an ideal platform for Daphile (or other Logitech Media Servers). My collection is mounted via NFS from a Synology DS114. The DS114 IMHO is way to slow for running LMS with a collection 50k+ songs. For example: Functions like "random playlist" take ~1 second on the NUC and >10 seconds on the DS114.

kipeta
2014-08-23, 07:12

I can provide you (or anyone else) on request a private test version that has root password, local console login prompt and ssh server enabled.

The private pre-release is available at:
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6

If you have the full installation of Daphile, you can upgrade to the pre-release version as follows:

go to http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel on your Daphile PC
copy the following link text (either x86_64 or i486 version) to input field besides the "Install" button

http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/daphile-14.08-b231333-x86_64.iso
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/daphile-14.08-b231333-i486.iso

press "Install"
reboot

This version has some power consumption optimization, "powertop"-tool included and also some other changes (web UI "File Manager"). The root password is "zaq" without hyphens.

kipeta
2014-08-23, 07:14
Yes, I'm interested in such a version.
Especially if I could reduce power consumption of my Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, that I'm using as Daphile server. Power consumption (idle) is around 5.5 to 6.8 W (depending on CPU frequency settings). According to informations I've found in the internet power consumption should be at around 4 W idle (running Windows). That's actually not much of a difference, but you know: I want to optimize :cool:

BTW: I think such a NUC is an ideal platform for Daphile (or other Logitech Media Servers). My collection is mounted via NFS from a Synology DS114. The DS114 IMHO is way to slow for running LMS with a collection 50k+ songs. For example: Functions like "random playlist" take ~1 second on the NUC and >10 seconds on the DS114.

Please let me know if and how much the changes in pre-release effect on power consumption.

Candlemass
2014-08-25, 00:08
I think I can check this until next weekend.

Candlemass
2014-08-25, 15:02
I'm having a problem with accesing my music directory. The scanner log shows messages like:

14-08-25 21:57:56.0655] Audio::Scan::scan (37) Warning: Could not open /srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/music/a/alanis morissette/1999 - mtv unplugged/alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 01 - you learn.mp3 for reading: Permission denied
[14-08-25 21:57:56.0725] Audio::Scan::scan (37) Warning: Could not open /srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/music/a/alanis morissette/1999 - mtv unplugged/alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 02 - joining you.mp3 for reading: Permission denied

And that's because bindfs does strange things, files are not readable:

daphile ~ # ls -l /srv/mediaserver/music/Network\ Drives/music/a/alanis\ morissette/1999\ -\ mtv\ unplugged/
total 63008
---------- 1 user user 5241154 Jul 27 2010 alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 01 - you learn.mp3
---------- 1 user user 6189378 Jul 27 2010 alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 02 - joining you.mp3
daphile ~ # ls -l /media/roots/network/music/a/alanis\ morissette/1999\ -\ mtv\ unplugged/
total 63008
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1026 users 5241154 Jul 27 2010 alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 01 - you learn.mp3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1026 users 6189378 Jul 27 2010 alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 02 - joining you.mp3

Some time later files in the same dir are readable again but still not accesible in LMS library update:

daphile ~ # ls -l /srv/mediaserver/music/Network\ Drives/music/a/alanis\ morissette/1999\ -\ mtv\ unplugged/
total 63008
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user 5241154 Jul 27 2010 alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 01 - you learn.mp3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user 6189378 Jul 27 2010 alanis morissette - mtv unplugged - 02 - joining you.mp3

The network mount is a read only NFS share.

EDIT: As the squeezebox server also could not access files, which actually have been shown as readable by "ls", I've switched to Samba instead of NFS and now it seems to work again (files are indexing at the moment. Also some minutes ago an update for my Synology Diskstation was released with this in the changelog:

Fixed an issue where files with ACL attributes could become inaccessible after being loaded in large batches when DiskStation acts as an NFS server.
I guess this is the source of all the trouble...

Lem
2014-08-31, 05:17
Hi Kimmo,

How does the ram-disk playback work? Is this now automatic (data shuffled from disk to RAM) or do I need to copy manually?

kipeta
2014-08-31, 05:47
Hi Kimmo,

How does the ram-disk playback work? Is this now automatic (data shuffled from disk to RAM) or do I need to copy manually?

First of all the ram disk feature is not yet available in the public release. There are some pre-releases available. Instruction can be found here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os-60.html#post4038008

The latest pre-releases are:
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/daphile-14.08-b291937-x86_64.iso
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/daphile-14.08-b291937-x86_64.iso

Ram disk playback is not automatic (maybe later). You'll have to copy files there manually using either the new web UI "File Manager" or NAS access.

BTW. Pre-release version has also option to use Jivelite as a local UI which enable real stand-alone operation.

pierreh
2014-08-31, 05:54
BTW. Pre-release version has also option to use Jivelite as a local UI which enable real stand-alone operation.
That's really good news (Daphile has no interest for me if I can't operate it stand-alone).

bearberry
2014-08-31, 20:07
Hi,
Setting up a Compaq Presario 3320CA with Athlon 64 @1.8ghz. Daphile v. 14.08-b101214-x86_64.
Works fine from the bootable CD. Can control from my other computers and play music on them using Squeezeplay. However, I've tried a few times to install to the hard disk (wiped with DBAN) and so far it's not working.
After first install Daphile started up OK, but couldn't connect to it from any other computer. I rebooted using the CD to confirm the network connection was still ok and that worked fine. Starting up from HDD again, still no connection.
I decided to reinstall. After that, starting up from HDD appeared not to work, as the loading bar reached the right side as quickly as usual, but then stayed there without ever switching to the "Ready. Use Web Interface." message. However, when I powered down the laptop I noticed the progress bar moved back to the left with the message about shutting down, as it does during normal shutdown. So i restarted and after waiting a while, tried to connect from another computer. It worked. I changed some settings and restarted. This time the progress bar stopped when getting to the right and the Ready message did not appear, same as before, but I was unable to connect. Powering down the laptop again displayed normal shut-down visuals.
Any ideas what's wrong and how I can get this working? Thanks.

Candlemass
2014-09-01, 01:15
Especially if I could reduce power consumption of my Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, that I'm using as Daphile server. Power consumption (idle) is around 5.5 to 6.8 W (depending on CPU frequency settings). According to informations I've found in the internet power consumption should be at around 4 W idle (running Windows).

With the new optimizations and ondemand governor the idle power consumption of my NUC is down to 4.2 W :)

kipeta
2014-09-02, 10:07
Hi,
Setting up a Compaq Presario 3320CA with Athlon 64 @1.8ghz. Daphile v. 14.08-b101214-x86_64.
Works fine from the bootable CD. Can control from my other computers and play music on them using Squeezeplay. However, I've tried a few times to install to the hard disk (wiped with DBAN) and so far it's not working.
After first install Daphile started up OK, but couldn't connect to it from any other computer. I rebooted using the CD to confirm the network connection was still ok and that worked fine. Starting up from HDD again, still no connection.
I decided to reinstall. After that, starting up from HDD appeared not to work, as the loading bar reached the right side as quickly as usual, but then stayed there without ever switching to the "Ready. Use Web Interface." message. However, when I powered down the laptop I noticed the progress bar moved back to the left with the message about shutting down, as it does during normal shutdown. So i restarted and after waiting a while, tried to connect from another computer. It worked. I changed some settings and restarted. This time the progress bar stopped when getting to the right and the Ready message did not appear, same as before, but I was unable to connect. Powering down the laptop again displayed normal shut-down visuals.
Any ideas what's wrong and how I can get this working? Thanks.

Please try with one of the pre-releases that have ssh server and console login prompt enabled (Alt-F2). These versions are available here: http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/

Login to Daphile PC as root (password: zaq) and check the output from following commands to see if you find any explanation:
logread
dmesg
cat /var/log/netmgr

And please contact me using the contact form at www.daphile.com. It's better to continue problem solving with emails.

bearberry
2014-09-04, 18:18
Thanks for the advice, Kimmo. I'll try that this weekend and let you know the results.

John

Please try with one of the pre-releases that have ssh server and console login prompt enabled (Alt-F2). These versions are available here: http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6/

Login to Daphile PC as root (password: zaq) and check the output from following commands to see if you find any explanation:
logread
dmesg
cat /var/log/netmgr

And please contact me using the contact form at www.daphile.com. It's better to continue problem solving with emails.

vanye
2014-09-14, 10:41
Is it possible to upgrade to LMS 7.9 with Daphile as it is? Or would this require other changes, as well?

kipeta
2014-09-16, 10:09
Is it possible to upgrade to LMS 7.9 with Daphile as it is? Or would this require other changes, as well?

I'm not going to upgrade to LMS7.9 yet. 7.9 has quite a lot changes all the time. Is it stable already?. I actually haven't had time to try it even. What would be the benefits?

kipeta
2014-09-16, 10:10
CHANGES on the September 16th 2014 version:

Player control application on local UI (optional)
"File manager" tool in web interface
Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.16.2
Power saving improvements (eg. dynamic CPU frequency option)
Other minor changes (eg. RAM Disk)
Bug fixes

kipeta
2014-09-17, 07:42

Bug fixes

Previous release (Sep 16th 2014) had a bug related to CIFS mounting when a username is used. It is now fixed and the new version is available.

mherger
2014-09-17, 07:54
> I'm not going to upgrade to LMS7.9 yet. 7.9 has quite a lot changes all
> the time. Is it stable already?.

Not stable as in "officially declared stable". But while you're correct,
there are quite some changes every now and then, overall I'd consider it
pretty stable. I can't remember the last crash. A hiccup now and then,
which I'm usually trying to fix asap.

> I actually haven't had time to try it
> even. What would be the benefits?

Faster scanning (very much with larger collections and enough memory),
faster web UI browsing, faster Browse Music Folder, some new features
like Browse by Album Artist, Browse Random Albums, return of Browse
Music Folder while scanning, browse folders without importing them into
the database...

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Logitech/slimserver/public/7.9/Changelog7.html

The best LMS ever ;-)

--

Michael

pufnstuf
2014-09-17, 13:31
>
the database...
--
Michael

Sounds good! - I'm ready to help test a Daphile version with LMS 7.9. I'm a very happy user of the current version of Daphile :D

I think "Browse Random Albums" would become one of my most used features, as exploring your full library in new ways is always fun and often, revealing.

vanye
2014-09-17, 14:07
I'm not going to upgrade to LMS7.9 yet. 7.9 has quite a lot changes all the time. Is it stable already?. I actually haven't had time to try it even. What would be the benefits?
For me the benefit would mostly be the better treatment of artists. Nothing pressing, though. Perfectly willing to wait. I am very happy with Daphile as it is, already.

vanye
2014-09-17, 14:09

Bug fixes

Can you explain about the player control application and the file manager tool?

kipeta
2014-09-18, 03:40
> I actually haven't had time to try it
> even. What would be the benefits?

the database...

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Logitech/slimserver/public/7.9/Changelog7.html

The best LMS ever ;-)

--

Michael

Sounded so tempting that I had to try. The update to Daphile went pretty smoothly. There seemed to be some really good improvements. Excellent work, thanks Michael! I didn't notice any problems on quick tests. However I could not find the "Browse Random Albums" feature. I used the latest nightly build (7.9.0 - 1410966819).

Below are the download links and instructions to use this pre-release version of Daphile.

If you have full installation of Daphile, you can upgrade to the pre-release version as follows:

go to http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel on your Daphile PC
copy the following link text (either x86_64 or i486 version) to input field besides the "Install" button

http://www.daphile.com/tmp.CXGION7npB/daphile-14.09-b180642-i486.iso
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.CXGION7npB/daphile-14.09-b180642-x86_64.iso

press "Install"
reboot

This version has the ssh server, VT2 console login and root password enabled ("zaq" without hyphens).

kipeta
2014-09-18, 03:48
Can you explain about the player control application and the file manager tool?

"Player control application on local UI (optional)" means that you can have jivelite enabled (disabled by default) on the local console. This enables the real stand-alone operations (excluding the settings management).

"File manager" tool in web interface enables to copy/move/organize files and directories with web browser. Many operations are faster than with the NAS access, because all the operations are done internally. "File manager" also enable simple drag-and-drop support to copy files (not directories) from the control PC to Daphile's drive (eg. the wallpaper for the jivelite).

mherger
2014-09-18, 03:59
> However I could not find the "Browse Random Albums" feature. I used the
> latest nightly build (7.9.0 - 1410966819).

It's disabled by default. You'll have to enable it in
Settings/Player/Additional Browse Modes.

--

Michael

pufnstuf
2014-09-18, 04:14
Sounded so tempting that I had to try...

If you have full installation of Daphile, you can upgrade to the pre-release version...

Thank you Michael and kipeta!

I have installed the Daphile pre-release with LMS 7.9 - and its looking great so far. I do love the compilations view - nice one! :D

Kipeta, is there anything particular you would like me to test/try?

kipeta
2014-09-18, 04:21
Thank you Michael and kipeta!

I have installed the Daphile pre-release with LMS 7.9 - and its looking great so far. I do love the compilations view - nice one! :D

Kipeta, is there anything particular you would like me to test/try?

I'm especially interested if there is something that does not work in the Daphile's web UI but works fine in the standard LMS web UI at port 9000. And of course all the other Daphile related bug reports and feedback are warmly welcomed. I would prefer the feedback through the contact form at www.daphile.com.

kipeta
2014-09-18, 04:21
> However I could not find the "Browse Random Albums" feature. I used the
> latest nightly build (7.9.0 - 1410966819).

It's disabled by default. You'll have to enable it in
Settings/Player/Additional Browse Modes.

--

Michael

Thanks. Found it!

mherger
2014-09-18, 04:33
> I'm especially interested if there is something that does not work in
> the Daphile's web UI but works fine in the standard LMS web UI at port
> 9000.

Oh, you're using a customized web skin, don't you? What kind of
customization did you do to the skin templates? There have been a few
optimizations to them...

--

Michael

pufnstuf
2014-09-18, 04:43
ok i have an issue with the random album browsing....

When I click on a displayed album a different album plays! So I guess that is very random :D

For example:

I select Browse Random Albums
A number of albums are displayed, maybe one of them is U2 Songs of Innocence
I click the album art it to play/select that album
But Jamiroquai - Travelling Without Moving will play....for example

PS: If I click the "Play" button or other buttons for that album the correct one WILL play, but when I click the actual album art (or cover art) then a different album is selected.

mherger
2014-09-18, 04:45
> When I click on a displayed album a different album plays! -So I guess
> that is very random- :D

What UI/controller are you using?

--

Michael

pufnstuf
2014-09-18, 04:55
> When I click on a displayed album a different album plays! -So I guess
> that is very random- :D

What UI/controller are you using?

--

Michael

Hi Michael

I am using Daphile web UI on Safari for Mac OS X...

kipeta
2014-09-18, 07:15
> I'm especially interested if there is something that does not work in
> the Daphile's web UI but works fine in the standard LMS web UI at port
> 9000.

Oh, you're using a customized web skin, don't you? What kind of
customization did you do to the skin templates? There have been a few
optimizations to them...

--

Michael
It's a modified Default skin and used inside an iframe of the main Daphile web UI. And it seems to work fine also with LMS 7.9.0.

mherger
2014-09-18, 07:16
>>> When I click on a displayed album a different album plays! -So I
>> guess
>>> that is very random- :D
>>
>> What UI/controller are you using?
>
> I am using Daphile web UI on Safari for Mac OS X...

Hmm... daphile uses a customized version of the LMS web UI. The Random
Album feature did indeed require a minor change to the web UI. That
change might need to be applied to the Daphile skin, too.

FWIW: commit 31354ba98c1cd120067582f665a434077c1c45a6 introduced the
change.

--

Michael

kipeta
2014-09-18, 07:18
Hi Michael

I am using Daphile web UI on Safari for Mac OS X...

Please test if this happens also at the standard LMS web UI (http://daphile:9000) or is it a Daphile web UI specific (I don't think so).

BTW. Does it happen during the library scan?

kipeta
2014-09-18, 07:52
>>> When I click on a displayed album a different album plays! -So I
>> guess
>>> that is very random- :D
>>
>> What UI/controller are you using?
>
> I am using Daphile web UI on Safari for Mac OS X...

Hmm... daphile uses a customized version of the LMS web UI. The Random
Album feature did indeed require a minor change to the web UI. That
change might need to be applied to the Daphile skin, too.

FWIW: commit 31354ba98c1cd120067582f665a434077c1c45a6 introduced the
change.

--

Michael

Thanks Michael. Could you remember any other changes that I should take into account on upgrading the Daphile skin for 7.9.0. I have only followed the 7.8 branch commits.

mherger
2014-09-18, 08:34
> Thanks Michael. Could you remember any other changes that I should take
> into account on upgrading the Daphile skin for 7.9.0. I have only
> followed the 7.8 branch commits.

There are hand full of other changes to the web UI, which are
optimizations only, or only important if you open the web UI with a
particular browse mode for the left hand side panel. You probably don't
need those (and some of them would not be compatible with 7.8).

--

Michael

pufnstuf
2014-09-18, 15:18
Please test if this happens also at the standard LMS web UI (http://daphile:9000) or is it a Daphile web UI specific (I don't think so).

BTW. Does it happen during the library scan?

Issue does not manifest on LMS web UI at port 9000. The correct album is displayed when clicking on album art. So it seems to just be on Daphile UI.

I am waiting until scan is fully completed before testing on both UIs.

Also I can confirm that functionality is working correctly on other Album views. i.e.: ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS / NEW MUSIC etc

kipeta
2014-09-19, 00:39

Bug fixes

The power saving changes in the Daphile 14.09 versions seem to cause boot problems on some PC hardware. If you experience the same, please try the version available at web address:

http://www.daphile.com/tmp.poTGRr4CMo/

You are able to upgrade the full installation of Daphile to this version as follows:

Access the Daphile PC using http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel address on web browser
Copy the following link text (either x86_64 or i486 version) to input field besides the "Install" button

http://www.daphile.com/tmp.poTGRr4CMo/daphile-14.09-b190546-i486.iso
http://www.daphile.com/tmp.poTGRr4CMo/daphile-14.09-b190546-x86_64.iso

Press "Install" and restart Daphile PC after installation has completed

I don't recommend this version for the users who don't have the boot problems with the other 14.09 version.

The same procedure enables to revert the Daphile version back to 14.08 by using the following download links:

http://www.daphile.com/firmware/testing/daphile-14.08-b101214-i486.iso
http://www.daphile.com/firmware/testing/daphile-14.08-b101214-x86_64.iso

I try to have a better fix after my vacation next week (I'll be offline) and have the power saving settings as configurable options in the next public release.

pufnstuf
2014-10-03, 23:54
Greetings fellow Daphile users

Does anyone know how to change the resolution for jivelite (called the "player control application") in Daphile 14.09?

I am trying to display on a 1920x1200 monitor and the text is very chunky and the aspect ratio is squashy.

Yes: "chunky" and "squashy" are technical terms :)

I have ssh'd into my Daphile server but I cannot find a config file for the jivelite implementation that would let me change the display config.

Thank you.

TheGroove
2014-10-20, 19:46
Greetings fellow Daphile users
Does anyone know how to change the resolution for jivelite (called the "player control application") in Daphile 14.09?

Looking at the source for jivelite, it supports 4 fixed modes: 1080p, 720p, 1280x1024 and 640x680. It appears there's no intelligent scaling or anything, so to make a 1920x1200 mode you'd have to dive into the source code and make your own profile with dimensions for 1920x1200, and possibly adjust some of the graphics as well. Not an easy thing to do without programming skills...

pufnstuf
2014-10-21, 14:29
Looking at the source for jivelite, it ...appears there's no intelligent scaling or anything, so ...you'd have to dive into the source code. Not an easy thing to do without programming skills...

Hey TheGroove! Thanks for checking that out for me. It reminded me that I can switch off scaling on my monitor, so that "fixed" the stretched aspect ratio. Strangely the monitor tells me it is receiving an 800x600 pixel signal, so I'm not sure why Daphile isn't sending out at least 1080p to my monitor. There aren't any settings in the UI to change that.

Cheers and welcome to the forums.

enestu
2014-10-31, 06:48
Good project, so far the best lms + player integration.

But no console, no ssh, is an ugly thing.

There's no support for bluetooth dongle, it could be usefull for additionnal players (something like a portable squeezebox boom for kitchen or bathroom). And, it can be added without console / ssh /telnet : so bad.

The rest of this project is impressive.

Hammer
2014-12-08, 21:38
This does not working on microsoft Hyper-V.
Freeze on strartup screen.

Hi, any luck getting daphile to work on hyper-v? I actually have it running - I had to install as hardware both a legacy NIC and a regular NIC. When I do this, daphile boots and I can use it for maybe 45 minutes. And then LMS stops responding and I need to reboot the VM...does anyone have any advice on how to get daphile working on hyper-v?

thanks!

doctor_big
2014-12-17, 16:30
Hi there,

Is this system still limited to a 2TB drive? Can it mount larger drives from a network share?

Thanks,
Jason

Candlemass
2014-12-18, 01:05
Is this system still limited to a 2TB drive?
I don't think there is such a limitation. I cannot think of any reason for it.

Can it mount larger drives from a network share?
Yes, I've mounted a 4 TB drive from my NAS via Samba.

doctor_big
2014-12-18, 03:36
I don't think there is such a limitation. I cannot think of any reason for it.

Yes, I've mounted a 4 TB drive from my NAS via Samba.
I read it earlier in the thread. Good to hear it's not an issue.

Jason

pufnstuf
2015-01-02, 15:40
Hi Kipeta

Can you please advise how I can ssh into my daphile box to add the Super Date and Time patch? As per http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?14327-Announce-SuperDateTime-Current-Date-Temperature-and-or-Baseball-Screensaver/page313

I am running Daphile version: 14.12-b311150-x86_64. Previously we were able to access it via a pre-release version of the daphile software.

Thank you I'm going crazy without my SDT. :)

petfr
2015-01-08, 08:38
Hello

I have a new musicserver (Zotac ZBOX nano CI320/Daphile 64-bit x86) .
I tested everything with my laptop and booting from usb-stick with sucess before. I have now the problem , that after doing a shutdown or restart the server hangs .I got last message (alt + F2): "remounting remaining filesystems readonly [ok]" . It is the same if i do that over the webui or the powerbutton. The only way to stopp the server is to push the powerbutton for several seconds . Only after doing this the server/PC shutdown . Is there a solution for this issue ?

Greetings from Germany

peter

Candlemass
2015-01-15, 01:37
Hi,
I want to build a LMS for mobile use (outdoor parties, camping) with one of these devices: http://www.intel.eu/content/www/eu/en/nuc/nuc-kit-de3815tykhe.html
Features:
* 12 V
* Intel Atom processor E3815, 1.46 GHz single core, 5 W TDP
* 4-GB eMMC storage device built in (for root file system)
* Internal support for 2.5-inch HDD (for music library)

Three questions so far:
1. What is the minimum size for the daphile root file system? I guess the 4 GB built in storage is enough?
2. I want to add an USB WiFi dongle in access point mode. Where can I configure the access point SSID and password? I could not find anything about it in the settings of my home daphile server.
3. Which USB WiFi dongles are recommended?

Pascal Hibon
2015-02-28, 01:59
I'm trying a Daphile setup of a friend of mine. It's installed on a SSD drive connected to a ASRock Q1900dc ITX board.
I have my M-DAC connected through one of the USB ports and Daphile recognized it immediately. But I hear small plops in the music stream. The plops are at irregular intervals. I tried with different USB cables to rule out a bad cable.
Did anyone experienced this behavior? What could be wrong here?

Lem
2015-02-28, 02:14
I'm trying a Daphile setup of a friend of mine. It's installed on a SSD drive connected to a ASRock Q1900dc ITX board.
I have my M-DAC connected through one of the USB ports and Daphile recognized it immediately. But I hear small plops in the music stream. The plops are at irregular intervals. I tried with different USB cables to rule out a bad cable.
Did anyone experienced this behavior? What could be wrong here?

Daphile is quite adjustable. Try increasing the buffers slightly.
Also check the default CPU setting - it may have been misconfigured on boot. You can set to a fixed rate or dynamic.

Pascal Hibon
2015-02-28, 11:52
Daphile is quite adjustable. Try increasing the buffers slightly.

I already tried that before posting but that had no effect on it.

Also check the default CPU setting - it may have been misconfigured on boot. You can set to a fixed rate or dynamic.

CPU is configured for its max speed 1.993 GHz (fixed) and all power saving settings are disabled.

Anything else I can check?
I also noticed I can't SSH into Daphile. Is that normal? Or is there another way to get to the command prompt of the OS?

Lem
2015-02-28, 14:05
There a development version with a 3.19 (over 3.18.7) kernel. http://www.daphile.com/tmp.qSPQbWD3rw/
Goto [player name]/cgi-bin/Devel for a hidden menu where you can drop the link. Maybe give that a go..

Failing that, maybe try Squeezeplay instead of Squeezelite (although I've never seen an specific issue with Squeezelite) or post up your settings just in case I've missed something.

local.bin
2015-03-26, 05:32
Hi there

Giving daphile a go with my older intel mac mini and cannot get daphile to eject a cd when I press the button to eject in the gui?

Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVDRW GA32N '

Thu Mar 26 15:21:45 GMT 2015: CD ripping started.
Thu Mar 26 15:21:45 GMT 2015: Selected track(s): 1
Thu Mar 26 15:21:45 GMT 2015: Track 1 failed.

cdparanoia -d /dev/sr0 -v -e --log-debug=cdparanoia.1.log 1 /dev/shm/cdrip_tmp.u8m9/track1.wav
cdparanoia III release 10.2 (September 11, 2008)

Using cdda library version: 10.2
Using paranoia library version: 10.2
Checking /dev/sr0 for cdrom...
Testing /dev/sr0 for SCSI/MMC interface
SG_IO device: /dev/sr0
Drive is neither a CDROM nor a WORM device

Testing /dev/sr0 for cooked ioctl() interface
/dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.

2) Also, I cannot seem to find the ssh login and password details, as i was going to use the command line to try and eject.

and

3) How do I replace the config on Daphile with a another working config file from another 7.9 installation?

Thanks in advance

mauri_va
2015-03-29, 03:24
Hi!
I'm trying Daphile on a Zotac Ci320. Daphile (versione 15.03-b270858-x86_64) is installed on the internal SSD and all seems to work grate BUT an annoying thing.
Many of my music files are on a NAS and are in flac format.
I usually select the album that I want to play browsing this network drive with the "Music Folder" option: then on the folder I click on the play icon to add all the tracks to my playlist.
It happens very often that the first track is not reproduced.
It seems that Daphile doesn't recognize the first file as a flac file, but an unknown binary file.
I'm sure that the file has no problem (I can play it with other player) and this happens with several album all in flac format.
In a forum someone suggest me to edit the tag on this file, but nothing changes...

Can someone help me?

Lem
2015-03-29, 09:14
Normally, you wouldn't work this way. Have you tried scanning your NAS content to the library and then navigating from Album, Artist etc. instead?

Hi!
I'm trying Daphile on a Zotac Ci320. Daphile (versione 15.03-b270858-x86_64) is installed on the internal SSD and all seems to work grate BUT an annoying thing.
Many of my music files are on a NAS and are in flac format.
I usually select the album that I want to play browsing this network drive with the "Music Folder" option: then on the folder I click on the play icon to add all the tracks to my playlist.
It happens very often that the first track is not reproduced.
It seems that Daphile doesn't recognize the first file as a flac file, but an unknown binary file.
I'm sure that the file has no problem (I can play it with other player) and this happens with several album all in flac format.
In a forum someone suggest me to edit the tag on this file, but nothing changes...

Can someone help me?

mauri_va
2015-03-30, 14:02
Normally, you wouldn't work this way. Have you tried scanning your NAS content to the library and then navigating from Album, Artist etc. instead?

Thank you for the answer!
Yes, my music library on the NAS has scanned. When I navigate from Album or Artist, this albums works in the same way: the first track is not playable.
Why?
(and: why I can not navigate my music with folder browsing?)

Lem
2015-03-30, 14:41
Just trying to eliminate a possible cause. Sounds like it could be a network/buffering issue. You could try changing the buffers for your audio device - I'm not entirely sure if that's likely to help, but it's a quick thing to try.
How is your NAS connected to your Daphile box and do you have any power saving features like disk spin-down enabled?

Yes, my music library on the NAS has scanned. When I navigate from Album or Artist, this albums works in the same way: the first track is not playable.
Why?

Pascal Hibon
2015-03-30, 14:51
Why?

Does the title contain some unicode charaters?

mauri_va
2015-03-31, 07:17
Thank you for the answers!

Does the title contain some unicode charaters?

No, the files are ok, without strange characters in the name...

Just trying to eliminate a possible cause. Sounds like it could be a network/buffering issue. You could try changing the buffers for your audio device - I'm not entirely sure if that's likely to help, but it's a quick thing to try.
How is your NAS connected to your Daphile box and do you have any power saving features like disk spin-down enabled?

The mini-pc where Daphile is installed is connected to my home-network with lan cable (gigabit speed, if is important, but I don't think so).
Today I tried this.
I copied a couple of albums that gave me problems on an USB pendirve which I connected directly to the mini-pc. When I play these albums from the pendirve everything works!
So it seems a problem with the Network Folder as said by Lem.
So I ask: what exactly are the settings which I must change?
About buffer: in "Settings->Audio Devices" I find "Stream buffer" (now 3072kB), "Output buffer" (now 4096kB) and "ALSA buffer time" (now 100ms)...
In "Settings->Power" nothing is setted and HDD-spindown is disabled.
Any help is really appreciated!

EDIT
Is not a buffer problem.
I tried another album on the pendrive and the first track was skipped...
I think that I found a (partial) solution.
In the folder of these albums there are several flac files AND a cue sheet AND (in a case) a m3u file...
For an album copied on the pendrive I deleted this file and it was played normally.
So I tried to delete this files on the NAS: in Daphile I Rescan for "New and changed audio files" but it doesn't works as aspected.
Why Daphile is so "susceptible" with cue and m3u files?

Candlemass
2015-04-22, 07:57
Hi,
I want to build a LMS for mobile use (outdoor parties, camping) with one of these devices: http://www.intel.eu/content/www/eu/en/nuc/nuc-kit-de3815tykhe.html
Features:
* 12 V
* Intel Atom processor E3815, 1.46 GHz single core, 5 W TDP
* 4-GB eMMC storage device built in (for root file system)
* Internal support for 2.5-inch HDD (for music library)

Three questions so far:
1. What is the minimum size for the daphile root file system? I guess the 4 GB built in storage is enough?
2. I want to add an USB WiFi dongle in access point mode. Where can I configure the access point SSID and password? I could not find anything about it in the settings of my home daphile server.
3. Which USB WiFi dongles are recommended?

Here is the device running Daphile. It will be used at a festival's camping ground :cool:

1. Latest Daphile boots from internal flash storage
2. I'm using a mini PCI Intel WiFi card in access point mode with Daphile. The NUC case has a built in antenna.
3. Music library is on a 2.5" hard disk with 1 TB
4. Everything is powered from a car battery

tkr001
2015-04-26, 21:12
Here is the device running Daphile. It will be used at a festival's camping ground :cool:

1. Latest Daphile boots from internal flash storage
2. I'm using a mini PCI Intel WiFi card in access point mode with Daphile. The NUC case has a built in antenna.
3. Music library is on a 2.5" hard disk with 1 TB
4. Everything is powered from a car battery

How did you get it to install and boot from the internal flash? I have never been able to get it to work, just get a blinking cursor when I try to boot from the internal flash drive.

Candlemass
2015-04-27, 00:04
It did not work some time ago, but apparantly started to work with the latest version. Just give it a try. At installation I've ticked the menu entries for BIOS and UEFI firmware.

marmoset
2015-05-17, 19:39
Can anyone please help with my install issue with Squeezelite?
My 2nd Daphile server install, up and running easily first time around.

This time, loaded 64bit ISO onto USB and installed from there, HDMI and Firewire Audio recognized and show up as Players.
However selected Firewire Out thru Squeezelite and no sound.Tried HDMI and no sound also.

I noticed the Plugin itself was not Ticked as installed on plugins page, so did so. Then in Squeezelite settings on the plugins page it says not running although ticked to run at start up.

Streaming audio OK to my Duet Receiver.

Server Log shows this message, is someone able to detect the problem here...

[15-05-18 02:14:40.3219] Slim::Control::Request::notify (2062) Error: Failed notify: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db sqlite_create_function failed: sqlite_create_function failed with error unable to delete/modify user-function due to active statements at /opt/mediaserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 126

[15-05-18 03:50:08.1032] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Error: DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db sqlite_create_function failed: sqlite_create_function failed with error unable to delete/modify user-function due to active statements
[15-05-18 03:50:08.1035] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Backtrace

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

marmoset
2015-05-19, 01:19
This is from the Localplayer Log, but again it's meaning is lost on me...

Starting Squeezelite: /var/daphile/mediaserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-x86-64 -d slimproto=debug -f /var/daphile/mediaserver/log/localplayer.log

/var/daphile/mediaserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-x86-64 -d slimproto=debug -f /var/daphile/mediaserver/log/localplayer.log
[12:12:59.032461] test_open:124 playback open error: No such file or directory
[12:12:59.032511] output_init_common:373 unable to open output device

If anyone has ideas I would be grateful.
Cheers

marmoset
2015-05-20, 14:21
Have now tried around 6 re-installs, using 64bit - 32bit - and latest beta version 15.05, and none allow Squeezelite to start.

Saw this thread in forum...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97766-Announce-Local-Player-plugin-and-Squeezelite-for-Linux-Windows-OSX/page45&highlight=daphile
Seems problem is because I can't get to the Mixer Settings of the audio interface to setup outputs...

As Daphile doesn't have terminal access I cannot try the fixes there, but that was why I was trying Daphile as unlike Vortexbox it has the simpler GUI.

I have 3 HP Small Form Factor PCs my work was going to throw in the skip, along with 3 spare Audio interfaces ( I have been working in Audio Production for 15 years), and I have managed to give 1 free Music Streaming System away so far using Daphile which setup fine.That interface did have a mixer when operated with Windows, but didn't cause problems with audio-out.
One of the remaining 2 was to replace my Windows LMS.
Looks like I may be returning to my Windows system...

kipeta
2015-05-21, 00:27
You should not use local player plugin with Daphile. Daphile creates squeezelite instance automatically for each recognized audio device and you can change mixer on/off settings using the web UI at Settings - Audio Devices.

Lähetetty minun Nexus 5 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

marmoset
2015-05-21, 19:06
Ah! I'm used to installing this plugin in the past, when I got no sound I figured thats what it was.

The first system I made used a old M-Audio usb recording interface I once used, it had no mixer with the windows drivers so that must be why it worked straight away.
This one was again using an old M-Audio interface but firewire and has mixer software.
Daphile recognised it but no sound.
So with these interfaces the mixer on should be ticked, is that what you are saying? It has 4 RCA Outputs, will Daphile pickup Outputs 1 +2 by default?

Cheers

kipeta
2015-05-22, 02:18
Just try different Mixer Controls setting using the web UI. Output selection might depend on the "Device:" selection. These are very hardware dependent settinfs and I can't help you more. It's also possible that audio device is not compatible. Have used it with any other Linux distro?

Lähetetty minun Nexus 5 laitteesta Tapatalkilla