PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going with SqueezePlug - a couple of (maybe obvious) questions...

the nightfly
2013-06-09, 17:00
In an earlier thread, I had asked about building a "SB Touch" replacement that would be purely a player streaming from an existing NAS. After reviewing the options, I'm leaning more towards going with a full SqueezePlug build to get around some limitations with the way the NAS does server duty. My questions:

1) If I build a wi-fi equipped Raspberry Pi with SqueezePlug running LMS, can I keep my music collection on the NAS and access it from the Pi, or would I need it to be on a USB HD connected directly to the Pi?

2) If the latter, would the file system be common for the HD between Windows and the Pi's Linux so that I could plug the drive into my PC, copy new music files directly, then plug the drive back into the Pi and run update to include the new files, or are they incompatible so that I'd have to transfer such files over the network instead? (If this seems like an odd question, remember that I come from a time when there were a multitude of personal computer platforms and OSes, and the only thing you could count on would be total incompatibility in getting files from a disk on one platform to one on another.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

castalla
2013-06-09, 17:19
In an earlier thread, I had asked about building a "SB Touch" replacement that would be purely a player streaming from an existing NAS. After reviewing the options, I'm leaning more towards going with a full SqueezePlug build to get around some limitations with the way the NAS does server duty. My questions:

1) If I build a wi-fi equipped Raspberry Pi with SqueezePlug running LMS, can I keep my music collection on the NAS and access it from the Pi, or would I need it to be on a USB HD connected directly to the Pi?

2) If the latter, would the file system be common for the HD between Windows and the Pi's Linux so that I could plug the drive into my PC, copy new music files directly, then plug the drive back into the Pi and run update to include the new files, or are they incompatible so that I'd have to transfer such files over the network instead? (If this seems like an odd question, remember that I come from a time when there were a multitude of personal computer platforms and OSes, and the only thing you could count on would be total incompatibility in getting files from a disk on one platform to one on another.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1) You should be able to use the NAS. Especially if it allows for network access (samba?) - if you have access as a windows share (and you know the login username and password) then it's easy to set up.

I have my music on a NAS (actually a usb stick located on the router) - works flawlessly.

erland
2013-06-10, 09:22
In an earlier thread, I had asked about building a "SB Touch" replacement that would be purely a player streaming from an existing NAS. After reviewing the options, I'm leaning more towards going with a full SqueezePlug build to get around some limitations with the way the NAS does server duty.

If you are going to use it as a server, make sure to get the newer 512MB model of the Pi which allows you to unlock more memory than the older 256MB model:
http://hubcitylabs.org/unlocking-your-new-raspberry-pis-512mb-of-memory/

Don't expect too much of a Pi regarding performance, it's better than many NAS boxes but it's still significantly slower than running LMS on a normal computer.

Depending on your budget, for a usage as both server and player it might be preferred to get a Wandboard instead to make it possible to later extend it with the high-end carrier board developed in the Community Squeeze project.

It definitely works with a NAS, the only issue is that scanning might be slightly slower than with a USB drive connected directly to the Pi.

the nightfly
2013-06-11, 01:25
I'm not expecting super-performance from the Pi, just better capability than on my current NAS, which is a closed system that only allows the capabilities of the pre-installed Squeezebox Server -- no way to upgrade to LMS, no plug-ins, no SoX resampling, and not even a way to access the installation to modify config files.

As to my second question in the OP -- if I were to go with a USB HD connected directly to the Pi, could I also plug it into my PC to transfer files, or would the disk formats/file systems be incompatible?

kesey
2013-06-11, 03:54
I'm not expecting super-performance from the Pi, just better capability than on my current NAS, which is a closed system that only allows the capabilities of the pre-installed Squeezebox Server -- no way to upgrade to LMS, no plug-ins, no SoX resampling, and not even a way to access the installation to modify config files.

As to my second question in the OP -- if I were to go with a USB HD connected directly to the Pi, could I also plug it into my PC to transfer files, or would the disk formats/file systems be incompatible?

You would not need to connect your USB drive to your PC to transfer files, unless you particularly wanted to. You could transfer files using Samba...just install Samba from the Squeezeplug suite and you'll be set. Truehl (Thomas) did a great job on that package.

the nightfly
2013-06-11, 07:11
You would not need to connect your USB drive to your PC to transfer files, unless you particularly wanted to. You could transfer files using Samba...just install Samba from the Squeezeplug suite and you'll be set. Truehl (Thomas) did a great job on that package.

True, but I might want to do a direct transfer the first time, since I'd be talking about more than 1 TB of files, which would go a lot faster over a USB connection than wi-fi.

erland
2013-06-11, 09:57
True, but I might want to do a direct transfer the first time, since I'd be talking about more than 1 TB of files, which would go a lot faster over a USB connection than wi-fi.

Just be sure to format it with a file system which your computer can read and you should be fine. If you are using Windows or OSX on your computer, format it as FAT32 and it should work both when connected to the Raspberry Pi and the computer. If it's only the initial copy of the library this should work excellently. Transferring 1 TB over WiFi and Samba is likely going to be a bit frustrating unless you have a really good WiFi connection.

If you plan to do it regularly one possible issue is that I'm not sure if SqueezePlug have any web user interface to disconnect the drive safely, so you might have to log into the Raspberry Pi via SSH to unmount it safely without risking to loose any files. Mostly it won't be a problem, but there is always a risk to disconnect a drive from a running system. Another possible issue is that LMS might not like if the drive with music is disconnected while LMS is running. You are probably fine as long as you aren't playing music or browsing the library while the drive is disconnected, but this isn't always easy to control if you have multiple remotes and smart phones with Squeezebox control apps.

cadfish
2013-06-12, 00:15
I set up a RasPi exactly for the scenario you have in mind. Initial fill (and maybe regular syncs of larger chunks of data) through USB and usual access from windows through a samba share. SqueezePlug is definitely a very good starting point for this.

Different character sets, however, caused significant problems for me. If you are sure you don't have any umlauts everything might be fine immediately, otherwise you will see funny names in windows for files transferred through samba if you later connect the drive via usb - and vice versa. Mounting with different characterset options, or playing with samba config will solve the problem finally. But it is pretty tedious ...

I ended up using ntfs which can be handled by the pi as well. Unfortunately I'm not a linux guy so I don't remember, what I exactly did but there are lots of pointers in the internet -its a well known problem.

Just to make you aware of this potential issue. Of course, the easiest way to solve this problem is to avoid umlauts completely, but sometimes this is just not possible ....

G�nther

the nightfly
2013-06-13, 01:10
Of course, the easiest way to solve this problem is to avoid umlauts completely, but sometimes this is just not possible ....

It certainly isn't possible in my case, as I have several thousand albums already tagged -- including lots of German classical music.

Not knowing anything about samba, if I were just to transfer every album with accent marks via USB, and only use samba for transferring generic-ASCII tagged albums, would that solve the problem or not?

cadfish
2013-06-13, 21:53
Hi Nightfly,

Tags are not a problem - the file/folder names are. I always make sure, that the tags are correct - but simplify the file names (Tag: P!nk, Folder: Pink). This can be done quite automatically through tools - I'm using "Bulk Rename Utility" which has a mode to remove "accents".

This way I'm able to avoid the mentioned problems for audio files. But I also store movies on the RPi server - and here I don't have tags; so the file names must be correct to allow the server proper identification.

Not knowing anything about samba, if I were just to transfer every album with accent marks via USB, and only use samba for transferring generic-ASCII tagged albums, would that solve the problem or not?

Say you mount your USB HD to your windows pc as E: and copy all files - looking at E: you will find all names intact. Then you disconnect the HD from the PC and conect it to the pi. Then you mount the samba share of the pi as say V:. Looking at V: you will find the funny names if something is wrong. (Right now I don't remember how the names are shown, if you log into the Pi through putty).

So, if you have a sync-script (I use RoboCopy) which syncs the master library to the pi it will work when the HD is again connected through USB, but you will get lots of duplication when it is synced against the share because the folders are not recognized.

I don't know if you have something like a master library - maybe the Pi is your master. If you don't sync, you may not have a problem. If you fill through USB, each time you connect the HD to the PC everything will look fine. When you look through the share, names are trashed, but who cares? And I guess yes, you could sync ASCII named files without problems - but this would be a pretty boring manual task.

I recommend to play around with little chunks of data first, until the access scenarios you have in mind work. If everything is fine, you can copy all the rest.

Guenther ( = Günther without umlaut ;-) )

JackOfAll
2013-06-14, 04:48
Günther, have you tried mounting the share you are using with "iocharset=utf8" set in the mount options? eg.

//windows/music /storage cifs sec=ntlmv2,user=WORKGROUP\guest,pass=,iocharset=ut f8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

cadfish
2013-06-14, 11:41
Hi Jack (?),

as mentioned I ended up using ntfs-3g filesystem on the USB HD. It is mounted on the PI through

UUID=98869E72869E509C /mnt/hd1/ ntfs-3g rw,user,auto,locale=de_DE@euro 0 0

I don't know if this is the smartest way to do it - but it worked. Umlauts show up as expected. I had to fiddle with the locales though ....

I followed the hints given in this thread (sorry german)

http://wiki.nslu2-info.de/pmwiki.php/HowTo/DebianSlugUmlaute#UmlautSamba

As mentioned, I'm not a linux guy - so maybe oldfashioned or way to complicated ....

Günther

the nightfly
2013-06-18, 13:17
O.K., I've got SqueezePlug (sort of) running on a Pi with LMS. I want to configure SoX resampling, which currently doesn't seem to be working (or isn't installed at all?). At this point, I'm lost. In what directory on the Pi would I be able to find a) the LMS config files and b) SoX (if installed)?

cadfish
2013-06-19, 01:15
Hi NightFly,

on my Pi sox is here

/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/arm-linux

and the converter settings are here:

/etc/squeezeboxserver

I never touched those settings though ...

Günther

cadfish
2013-06-19, 12:55
Hi Nightfly,

I saw on another thread that you had (have?) problems with wifi setup on the PI. I'm running the PI with two of those

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-Wireless-Adapter-Detachable/dp/B002WBX9C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371671054&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+usb+wifi

One is configured to connect to my home wlan, one is configured as independant AP. Works nice - with the controllers (smartphones, ipods, tablets) I log on the AP when I'm away from home.

There are lots of others that work out the box as well I guess - these are quite big (which is not a problem for me) which on the other hand gives good signal strength.

Günther

the nightfly
2013-06-19, 16:38
Well, SoX is on my system (big surprise, since it is the SqueezePlug install), but it doesn't seem to be resampling sources greater than 24/96 (in other words, play a 24/192 file, get silence). Does anyone know how to turn on resampling? A web search seems to get divided opinion, with half the responders saying "it doesn't work with mine,,either," and the other half saying "it works fine for me automatically," neither of which is much help.

Mnyb
2013-06-19, 22:55
Well, SoX is on my system (big surprise, since it is the SqueezePlug install), but it doesn't seem to be resampling sources greater than 24/96 (in other words, play a 24/192 file, get silence). Does anyone know how to turn on resampling? A web search seems to get divided opinion, with half the responders saying "it doesn't work with mine,,either," and the other half saying "it works fine for me automatically," neither of which is much help.

I seriusly doubt that any arm CPU based device has the power to actually run SoX, but I could be wrong .

If you use "top" command do you see it running and is the PI chocked at 100% CPU ?

the nightfly
2013-06-20, 04:18
I don't see SoX running (which it wouldn't if LMS wasn't invoking it), but the total load on the CPU -- except at the very start of play when it jumped to around 79% for a couple of seconds -- has been running at around 15% or lower. A lot of the time, it's at more than 90% idle.

JohnSwenson
2013-06-20, 11:43
I seriusly doubt that any arm CPU based device has the power to actually run SoX, but I could be wrong .

If you use "top" command do you see it running and is the PI chocked at 100% CPU ?

I'm running the Squeezelite with builtin sox resampling on the wandboard and it takes a whopping 6% cpu. Now the wandboard has a more powerful CPU, but it still should be usable on the PI.

John S.

Mnyb
2013-06-20, 17:16
I'm running the Squeezelite with builtin sox resampling on the wandboard and it takes a whopping 6% cpu. Now the wandboard has a more powerful CPU, but it still should be usable on the PI.

John S.

That's good , wandbord is quite powerfull , so if current PI has power enough it migth be some other problem .

The SoX version used ,is it compiled for the CPU in the PI ?

LMS may be confused by some weird file type settings and does not invoke SoX when it supposed to ?
( sugest trying with the default settings for flac and WAV )