PDA

View Full Version : Classic died

wurz
2013-06-09, 06:29
My classic won't power up anymore - no signs of life from the display and does not register with LMS any more. Common behaviour on dead classics is that the Toslink light is on steadily - however on my one it's flashing quickly (about twice a second).

- Tried pressing Add/1 on remote for reset/xilinx reset
- Opened it up and removed wifi card, still won't power on
- Tried with a wired connection, no change and it doesn't show up on my network
- Measured voltage on PSU - I get a steady 5V
- Measured voltage under load on contacts on PCB by the PSU connector - I'm getting roughly between 1 - 1.5V showing on the multimeter. I assume I should still be seeing around 5V under load?

Based on the last point, is this likely to be a faulty psu or the SB itself? I have a Boom and a SB Radio but unfortunately the power supplies on them are higher voltages so I don't want to risk connecting them.

Having looked at used prices on ebay for these, I'm hoping it's just the PSU!

Craig
2013-06-09, 10:35
You must be able to get a replacement PSU dirt cheap on Ebay
Then at least you'll know which is at fault.

Craig

wurz
2013-06-14, 15:31
UPDATE

So I dug around a bit more and found an iPad power adapter which is rated at 5V/2A. I spliced the usb end of the iPad cable with the squeezebox end of the original power supply. Lo and behold my beloved Squeezebox sprang back into life :-)

ReValveiT
2013-06-15, 13:15
UPDATE

So I dug around a bit more and found an iPad power adapter which is rated at 5V/2A. I spliced the usb end of the iPad cable with the squeezebox end of the original power supply. Lo and behold my beloved Squeezebox sprang back into life :-)

Yay!

:)