PDA

View Full Version : What will happen after mysqueezebox.com is switched off?

bluebell
2013-06-01, 11:19
Hi,

we're big Squeezebox enthusiasts and have 8 Booms, 2 Radios, an old v2 and a Touch. I bought my first Squeezebox (import from Slimdevices, USA to Germany) because I could run my own server at home and because it was Open Source software.

As we all know, nothing will last forever, especially in the business world. Booms are no more available, Radio gets replaced by a new series that uses another communication protocol. Sooner or later the old product line's servers are switched off. But the Squeezebox-Server (or LMS) at home and the devices need a mysqueezebox.com account – at least for the initial setup.

What will happen if the Squeezebox-Server and the devices cannot communicate with mysqueezebox.com? Nothing?

Regards
Holger

garym
2013-06-01, 13:44
Hi,

we're big Squeezebox enthusiasts and have 8 Booms, 2 Radios, an old v2 and a Touch. I bought my first Squeezebox (import from Slimdevices, USA to Germany) because I could run my own server at home and because it was Open Source software.

As we all know, nothing will last forever, especially in the business world. Booms are no more available, Radio gets replaced by a new series that uses another communication protocol. Sooner or later the old product line's servers are switched off. But the Squeezebox-Server (or LMS) at home and the devices need a mysqueezebox.com account at least for the initial setup.

What will happen if the Squeezebox-Server and the devices cannot communicate with mysqueezebox.com? Nothing?

Regards
Holger

about 20 threads on this here at the forums, so you can read more. But short answer: For playing your own music or "free" internet radio stations, nothing will change assuming you run LMS on a local computer/NAS. For access to things that require certain commercial "hand shakes" (pandora, siriusXM, etc.) you'll need something to take mysb.com's place. Some things already work without mysb.com (e.g., triode's spotify plugin). And there are things being developed discussed here at the forum that may provide a substitute for mysb.com (e.g., ickStream). So the future is not bleak for our SB devices or SB replacements. Those of us who have used this system are not willing to suffer the backward step of using uPnP/DLNA or SONOS.