PDA

View Full Version : Android newbie needs iPeng replacement: Squeeze Commander? Orange Squeeze? Or...

Osamede
2013-05-29, 17:31
I have moved over to Android for my phone and need to replace Ipeng, which I used heavily, as both a local player and a whole-house remote controller for a handful of SB Touch and SB Radio units.

I loved the the full functionality of iPeng, my main greviances were the long learning curve of the interface and in past few months onboard player seemed to forget it existed sometimes and the app seemed to have trouble hooking onto the server in versions past few months. But over all was a decent app.

Looking over briefly on the Android offerings:
- am I right in saying there is no Android combo app (player + remote control)?

If this is correct then I guess I need two separate apps:
- Is SqueezePlayer the only alternative or are their other, better ones?
- What's the best remote control app? Squeezeplayer? Orange Squeeze? Something else.

Thanks!

pippin
2013-05-29, 18:08
my main greviances were the long learning curve of the interface and in past few months onboard player seemed to forget it existed sometimes and the app seemed to have trouble hooking onto the server in versions past few months.

Did you ever send me a diagnostics mail when that happened? There is one issue with the player restarting immediately after you leave the App if you stop it right before leaving iPeng in which case it will not work when you return (but then it's out of control, not gone). This has also only been around with the very latest 2 versions (since 2.0.11).
Apart from that I'm tempted to say I believe the problem will be with your setup (primarily networking and/or server), I'm not aware of any other issues with iPeng's playback.

- am I right in saying there is no Android combo app (player + remote control)?

Yes.

There is also SBPlayer. I can't judge on "better", I rarely ever use the players on Android but I've never had any issues with SqueezePlayer, what part of it needs to be "better" for you?

- What's the best remote control app? Squeezeplayer? Orange Squeeze? Something else.

That's a question of personal preference. SqueezeCommander is the most feature complete one but didn't see any development for over a year and OrangeSqueeze keeps catching up.
If you are familiar with iPeng's UI before the redesign, SqueezeCommander will look familiar although I often get confused by the different arrangement of the buttons on the menu bar.
OrangeSqueeze has a more Android-like UI and probably looks more modern although it also sometimes confuses me, but then I don't use Android enough to be really familiar with it's UI conventions.
OrangeSqueeze also has some integration with OrangeSqueeze (you can start the player from the App).

There is also SqueezeControl and a few other Apps. I believe SqueezeControl has some integration with SBPlayer, the Apps are from the same author.

ChrisNY
2013-05-29, 19:16

Thanks!

I use Orange Squeeze and Squeezeplayer on my tablet and am very happy with it. The Orange Squeeze app automatically opens the Squeezeplayer app when you run it. I find the interface intuitive and easy to navigate.
Squeeze Control just released a tablet version of their app which you may also want to check out.

-ChrisNY

Osamede
2013-05-29, 23:31
Thanks for all the answers. Sound like Orange Squeeze and Squeeze Play should be the comobo to try first.

BTW pippin, dont take what I said negatively - was just trying to describe my experience so far as a benchmarked for what I liked. There have been some problems here and there but yes, as you said some are server related and the others, I accept as part of the software game, as you are clearly dedicated to steadily improving the product for your customers. Frankly, f anything, your app has kept me on IOS for almost a year longer. I would have decamped much earlier if not for the fact that Ipeng wasnt on Android - every other IOS app that I use heavily was very replaceable. Imagine that: only one single app out of a hundred thousand was capable of keeping a customer on the platform - Apple should be paying you. :-)

Anyway, my point was not to turn this into Ipeng thread (that really didnt work out, did it?). Thanks for all the input. I'llve give Orange Squeeze/Squeezeplay a shot unless, anyone else has more info to add to the mix.

Osamede
2013-05-30, 01:54
I also see this SB Player app. How does this compare to the Orange Squeeze?

jimbobvfr400
2013-05-30, 02:16
Personally I use Squeeze Player for playback on Android and haven't had an problem with it on several different devices, ranging from a phone running Gingerbread to a Nexus 7 tablet running the latest Jellybean. I've not tried the other player only because I'd already paid for squeeze player before it came out.

For control apps I tend to swop between Orange Squeeze and Squeeze Commander. I would like to try SqueezeControl at some point but PS and SC server me very well.

The one thing that squeeze control does very well is the ability to change the tap action when selecting tracks. There's 4 different modes (play, play next, add to end and info) The most annoying thing is when you've manually selected specific songs for a play list and you accidentally hit play on a track and wipe out your playlist and this option stops that happening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cadfish
2013-05-30, 02:38
There is a new app for android. 'Squeeze Control' from angrygoats. Just tried it. Nice UI and very nice download manager. Definitely worth to take a look at

jimbobvfr400
2013-05-30, 07:35
There is a new app for android. 'Squeeze Control' from angrygoats. Just tried it. Nice UI and very nice download manager. Definitely worth to take a look at

I'm tempted to try it even though I already have too many choices of control app. How does it handle adding tracks to your now playing playlist. In squeeze commander there's a toggle button to switch between play and add to end when you tab a track. That's the 1 feature that means I keep multiple apps on my tablet.

kidstypike
2013-05-30, 08:55
I'm tempted to try it even though I already have too many choices of control app. How does it handle adding tracks to your now playing playlist. In squeeze commander there's a toggle button to switch between play and add to end when you tab a track. That's the 1 feature that means I keep multiple apps on my tablet.

User preference, you can set default action to use when tapping on a playable item:

Play
Play next
Add

But also, long press on a playable item gives the following options:

Add to End
Play Next
Play This Song
Play all songs

Also long press on icon to right of item gives the following options:

Download Song
Add to End
Play Next
Play
Save To Favorites
Artist: name - tapping shows all albums by artist
Album: name - tapping shows all tracks on album
Genre: name - tapping shows all albums with this Genre
Year: Year
Show Artwork
More Info
"Song Title" mix
"Artist" mix
On Spotify.

One of the "Now Playing" screens below:

jimbobvfr400
2013-05-30, 11:03
Cheers for that, sounds OK. 1 more question if I may, is that screenshot with or without the optional IAP tablet mode? I presume the scroll thingy top left swipes to other screens? Sorry that was 2 questions.

kidstypike
2013-05-30, 11:16
Cheers for that, sounds OK. 1 more question if I may, is that screenshot with or without the optional IAP tablet mode? I presume the scroll thingy top left swipes to other screens? Sorry that was 2 questions.

Yes it is with the new tablet mode.
Yes, it swipes to other screens, examples below.

Craftylizard
2014-02-01, 18:39
I am just getting around my new Adroid having replaced an old iPhone. Searched, after reading this thread, by typing in Squeeze Control and actually found a free app actually called 'Squeezebox Touch'.
Well, wouldn't you know? It's like having another 'Touch'.

Gandhi
2014-02-02, 14:52
This seems cool! Has anyone tried it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cuberob.autosqueeze

"Ever wanted to control your Squeezebox devices without reaching for a remote?
Or wanted the music to automatically turn on as soon as you enter your home?

Well now you can!

With AutoSqueeze you can control all your SqueezeBoxes without touching a button. For example setup tasker to automatically start a playlist when your phone connects to your home WIFI or mute your music when you receive a phonecall!"