PDA

View Full Version : Using playlists to make moods, suggestions? alternatives?

sander
2013-05-19, 17:11
I primarily listen to dynamic playlists and music generated by MusicIP, either initial mixes or Sugarcube seeded from a single song.

Lately, I've been looking for more of a mood music option (e.g. mellow, lively, etc.). I can do only so much with Dynamic Playlists (as far as I know) since the genre/year (my usual criteria) isn't enough of a qualifier in this instance.

My idea was to use the playlist manager plugin to create playlists which and add tracks which I liked and fit into these categories "using the add to playlist... feature. Over time the list should be big enough that I could play these playlists in shuffled order and these would give me my moods.

Has anyone else done anything similar or have a better way to do this?

Also can playlists be saved as shuffle even if the regular system doesn't use this option? I rarely use conventional playlists or listen to albums, so in theory I could set this on the player/lms, but I'm unclear if this would mess up any of my existing functionality.

TIA

MeSue
2013-05-19, 20:18
Lately, I've been looking for more of a mood music option (e.g. mellow, lively, etc.). I can do only so much with Dynamic Playlists (as far as I know) since the genre/year (my usual criteria) isn't enough of a qualifier in this instance.

You might want to try Michael Herger's Smart Mix plugin.

My idea was to use the playlist manager plugin to create playlists which and add tracks which I liked and fit into these categories "using the add to playlist... feature. Over time the list should be big enough that I could play these playlists in shuffled order and these would give me my moods.

Sure, I do this for a lot of different lists which I grow over time. I also have some based on BPM and Intensity which I generate as smart playlists in J. River Media Center and export as static lists for LMS.

Also can playlists be saved as shuffle even if the regular system doesn't use this option? I rarely use conventional playlists or listen to albums, so in theory I could set this on the player/lms, but I'm unclear if this would mess up any of my existing functionality.

I don't think you can specify a playlist as always shuffled, but you can just play it through the Dynamic Playlists plugin as random songs from a playlist, and then you don't have to turn shuffle on.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

garym
2013-05-20, 04:30
+1 on trying the smartmix plugin. You can set certain parameters with it that can create the "mood" you seek.

w3wilkes
2013-05-20, 10:35
Seems like the best way to tackle it would be to just add another Genre that is your mood. Squeezebox server supports multiple Genres so if you add Genre "Mellow" in addition to what's already in the Genre you could do a Dynamic playlist for Genre "Mellow".

sander
2013-05-20, 19:26
I don't think you can specify a playlist as always shuffled, but you can just play it through the Dynamic Playlists plugin as random songs from a playlist, and then you don't have to turn shuffle on.

That is an awesome idea. I will try that.

And with yours and Gary's suggestion I will check out the smartmix plugin, but I'm trying to keep everything as local as possible since I figure someday I won't want to fiddle as much as I do now and I'm hoping for greater stability in the long run, but if it works I can't argue. I'm curious how it will handle some of my tagging choices though.

w3wilkes, I have thought of adding multiple tags, but I have so many problems with multiple artist tags the thought of having another tag with separators gives me chills. I also tend more towards broad genre tagging so it's kind of a conflict with me.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!