PDA

View Full Version : Paid streaming service recommendations

UNCMo96
2013-05-18, 11:29
I am looking for a recommendation for a paid music streaming service that meets the following criteria.

1. Very agnostic: Needs to work on: SB3, SB Boom, SB touch, iPad, Android phone, plus Mac and PC desktops
2. Supports off line dowloading
3. (Not sure if any service does this) supports offline downloading AND moving the mp3s to other devices (i.e. ipod classic)
4. Has the ability to support 2 users on at the same time.

I currently have Pandora One and I'm tempted to trial the new Google service but I started reading abuot some of the others (spotify, mog) and was curious if there were a few that really stand out.
Thanks.

MeSue
2013-05-18, 16:46
I think Rhapsody qualifies but I am not sure about a Mac desktop app. I think so, but you would have to check the website for sure. You can definitely play on a Mac via the web player. Also not sure about #4 since I am the only one using my subscription. You do have to upgrade to the $15/mo plan to have simultaneous playing from more than one mobile device, but I switch between my iPad and iPhone on the $10 plan and just tell it make this the authorized device when I change it.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

toby10
2013-05-19, 03:03
..... I'm tempted to trial the new Google service ....

You can forget that one, Google won't work on any SB.

garym
2013-05-19, 04:46
I am looking for a recommendation for a paid music streaming service that meets the following criteria.

1. Very agnostic: Needs to work on: SB3, SB Boom, SB touch, iPad, Android phone, plus Mac and PC desktops
3. (Not sure if any service does this) supports offline downloading AND moving the mp3s to other devices (i.e. ipod classic)

I currently have Pandora One and I'm tempted to trial the new Google service but I started reading abuot some of the others (spotify, mog) and was curious if there were a few that really stand out.
Thanks.

I've used MOG and Spotify. Both work well and meet your standards (except I'm not sure about #4 as I'm the only user). For #3, not sure, but I can download spotify items to either my iphone or ipad, so I'm guessing this works as long as both devices are connected to same account. For Spotify to work on all but RADIO and TOUCH, you'll need Triode's 3rd Party Spotify Plugin. For MOG, the logitech app will work. I moved from MOG to Spotify because Spotify will work with Triode's plugin even if mysqueezebox.com went away.

I found it very easy to sign up for both these services then cancel. Even going back to spotify was easy (old username still worked, I just had to turn billing back on). So I'd say try MOG, Spotify, or Rhapsody and then test them out to see how they work for you.

matka
2013-05-23, 06:32
Qobuz.com fits most of your requirements:

I have run the service on SB Boom, Touch, Android, Windows Desktop. I'm pretty sure there is a client for Mac and iPad/iPhone

I have used offline downloading on Android and Desktop. When downloading flac on desktop (you can stream flac on SB and Desktop), downloaded files are encrypted. Did not check mp3 on Android.

I'm not aware of such integration. Also, downloaded desktop flac are of no use outside of desktop app, again, I'm not sure of mp3 on portable devices.

Supports multiple users.

You can sign up for a free month and try it out, there are 3 plans to choose

mp3 all
flac classical only
flac all

It also depends what kind of music you are after, please check the offered cataloque.

gregklanderman
2013-05-23, 08:14
Is there a complete list of all the streaming services supported on the squeezeboxen? Also, which ones do NOT rely on mysqueezebox.com? (Is that just spotify?)

thanks
Greg

mherger
2013-05-23, 08:31
> Is there a complete list of all the streaming services supported on the
> squeezeboxen? Also, which ones do NOT rely on mysqueezebox.com? (Is
> that just spotify?)

Qobuz as well.

--

Michael

maggior
2013-05-23, 09:00
Rhapsody will support multiple users. I've had multiple squeezeboxes playing different things at the same time. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I've had 2 squeezeboxes playing different music from Rhapsody.

You won't be able to use the files from any service on an iPod classic. Spotify leads you to believe that you might be able to do this, but you can't.

matka
2013-05-23, 10:11
Rhapsody will support multiple users. I've had multiple squeezeboxes playing different things at the same time. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I've had 2 squeezeboxes playing different music from Rhapsody.

You won't be able to use the files from any service on an iPod classic. Spotify leads you to believe that you might be able to do this, but you can't.
I don't have Spotify (and can't have it, geoblocked) hence the question. Is it because Spotify uses ogg or because it is encrypted/mangled to play within an app that downloaded it ?

maggior
2013-05-23, 10:25
I've been both a Spotify and Rhapsody subscriber. With these, you can only download to the device using the mobile apps. As I recall, you couldn't get to the individual files for the songs with a file explorer (Andriod). Even if you could, I'd bet money that the files are encrypted. If you could strip the encryption, you could always transcode from ogg to mp3, or whatever rhapsody uses to mp3.

spedinfargo
2013-05-23, 12:25
Spotify is great as far as sound quality, ease of use, and depth of catalog.

However, it is TERRIBLE as a music discovery and "custom radio station" offering. Even their "related artists" is terrible - Atoms for Peace doesn't even show Radiohead as a related artist, etc.

Rhapsody is much better with respect to all of that (their pre-built stations are pretty decent).

But if that's not important to you, I'm quite satisfied with Spotify...

HeadBanger
2013-05-26, 04:09
Another Napster user here. I trialled Spotify first and found it incredibly hard to find new music I liked due to the awful GUI (triode's plugin does make it slightly better).

For me finding music easily is an absolute must and Napster wins this hands down.