PDA

View Full Version : Napster Not Playing

allgonepetetong
2013-05-09, 11:52
Hi All

I wonder of someone could help please.

I have recently installed the Napster app and opened and account. When I select a track to play in Napster, my squeeze box screen displays the song that I have selected and the time bar shows it is playing, however no sound is being played.

This problem is apparent on both my Duet and Boom when controlled either by the Duet handset, the Boom directly, or via the android app on my connected phone.

please help

thanks

Barry

slimfast
2013-05-10, 14:12
I'm not an expert but I do know that DRMed services like Napster can be tricky. In the case of Napster which I use, I needed to update the firmware on my Squeezeboxes when they changed DRM a while back. That meant a lot of messing around to get the LMS on my NAS up to date. (Firmware is automatically updated when you connect to a server, by the server).

You could try connecting to mysqueezebox. com if you aren't already doing so that would update your firmware.

If you are using your own lms server, make sure it's the latest version so that your firmware stays current.

allgonepetetong
2013-05-10, 15:36
Thanks Slimfast.

I connected to mysqueezebox.com, which automatically updates my firmware every time I connect to it, and I am then able to play Napster on my Boom, but only when connected to mysqueezebox.com. On my Duet I do not know how to connect to mysqueezebox so am unable to get it playing there. Should it be necessary that I have to connect to mysqueezbox in order to play Napster?

When I am connected to mysqueezebox.com, however, I am unable to view my own music library stored on the NAS. Is there something wrong with my set up?

And lastly, why does my firmware update every time I log into mysqueezebox on the boom?

w3wilkes
2013-05-10, 21:56
If your SB server is not current software then when you connect to MySB.com with a player (Boom, Duet, Etc) they will want to upgrade their firmware to the version that MySB.com is using.

You are correct. When you connect your Boom to MySB.com you cannot access your local SB server managed library, this is just the way it works.

When you switch back to your local server the Boom (or other device you had on MySB.com) will request a firmware "upgrade" to match the firmware that came with your server version.

If you update your server to current software you should be able to play Napster with your players connected to your server since it appears there's a update in the current firmware that allows Napster to play to a player connected to your local server.

toby10
2013-05-11, 00:45
Are you able to play other online stations when connected to NAS? i.e. It's only Napster that won't play via NAS?

mherger
2013-05-11, 14:05
> And lastly, why does my firmware update every time I log into
> mysqueezebox on the boom?

There have been at least two changes to Napster in the past which would break things for you if you are running an outdated server version:

- Napster was bought by Rhapsody. Today's Napster app actually is the Rhapsody app. The original Napster implementation no longer works.

- Rhapsody updated the certificates used for music stream encryption at some point in the past. We had to push out new firmwares to include the latest certificates.

--

Michael

allgonepetetong
2013-05-15, 11:44
If your SB server is not current software then when you connect to MySB.com with a player (Boom, Duet, Etc) they will want to upgrade their firmware to the version that MySB.com is using.

You are correct. When you connect your Boom to MySB.com you cannot access your local SB server managed library, this is just the way it works.

When you switch back to your local server the Boom (or other device you had on MySB.com) will request a firmware "upgrade" to match the firmware that came with your server version.

If you update your server to current software you should be able to play Napster with your players connected to your server since it appears there's a update in the current firmware that allows Napster to play to a player connected to your local server.

Thanks, Squeezebox server is telling me that there is a later version available so I have gone to the Synology downloads page, as I am running Squeezebox Server on a Synology NAS, and the latest version on the site for my model (DS207+) is the version I am already running (7.5.3 released on 31/01/11). Given that it appears I am running the latest firmware available for my NAS how do I prevent the firmware updates every time I switch between MySqueezebox and Home?

I understand that different libraries are available in Home or My Squeezebox. Thanks for explaining.

allgonepetetong
2013-05-15, 11:44
Are you able to play other online stations when connected to NAS? i.e. It's only Napster that won't play via NAS?

I can play internet radio stations without problem

mherger
2013-05-15, 12:01
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=synology+logitech+media+server

allgonepetetong
2013-05-15, 12:38
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=synology+logitech+media+server

Thanks, but I've already been to that page and although it shows the release logs, it doesn't actually show me where I can download a later version for my model of NAS. (unless I am missing something glaringly obvious)

mherger
2013-05-15, 13:08
> Thanks, but I've already been to that page and although it shows the
> release logs, it doesn't actually show me where I can download a later
> version for my model of NAS. (unless I am missing something glaringly
> obvious)

Click "Download Center" on the left, select your model -> Packages.

--

Michael

aubuti
2013-05-15, 13:12
(unless I am missing something glaringly obvious)
You mean like clicking on the link that says "Download Center" and choosing your model number from the dropdown list? (I guessed at the number of drive bays)

allgonepetetong
2013-05-15, 13:13
Done that; 2 bay 207+ The version it gives you to download is v7.5.3 - clearly not the latest.

mherger
2013-05-15, 13:19
> Done that; 2 bay 207+ It wants me to download v7.5.3.

Ok, sorry to hear :-(.

--

Michael

allgonepetetong
2013-05-15, 14:03
How can I use Napster without having to keep updating firmware versions every time I switch from MySqueezebox.com and Media server, as that would be totally unsatisfactory?

Or is there another music on demand server I could use instead of Napster that runs on Media Server?

HeadBanger
2013-05-16, 06:11
Done that; 2 bay 207+ The version it gives you to download is v7.5.3 - clearly not the latest.

Their other products have a later version to download. I selected the DS713+ and it gives a link to download 7.7.2
http://ukdl.synology.com/download/packages/SqueezeboxServer-cedarview-7.7.2-007.spk

Worth a try? You can always roll back if it won't work.

HB

allgonepetetong
2013-05-16, 13:22
Their other products have a later version to download. I selected the DS713+ and it gives a link to download 7.7.2
http://ukdl.synology.com/download/packages/SqueezeboxServer-cedarview-7.7.2-007.spk

Worth a try? You can always roll back if it won't work.

HB

Good idea headbanger. However I've tried uploading v7.2.2 from a couple of different model 2 bay drives and a message appears stating "This package is not supported on the platform of Diskstation"

Does anyone else have any ideas?

allgonepetetong
2013-05-16, 13:33
It appears that my model DS207+ is no longer supported and 7.5.3 is the latest version I can get.

Does that mean I need to buy a new NAS in order to prevent the constant firmware updates when switching between mysqueezebox.com and Home? Sincerely hope not.

pippin
2013-05-16, 14:32
have you checked whether there are new SSODS versions for the DS207?

aubuti
2013-05-16, 14:44
Does that mean I need to buy a new NAS in order to prevent the constant firmware updates when switching between mysqueezebox.com and Home? Sincerely hope not.
If there aren't any SSODS versions for the 207+ with newer LMS you could consider running LMS on something with a more open and/or conventional operating system, rather than depending on the NAS manufacturer's support on a very closed system. I know a lot of people say "I don't want to leave my computer on all the time", but the fact is that there are many low-powered computer options out there that are less expensive and less electricity-demanding than a standard consumer NAS.

HeadBanger
2013-05-17, 00:11
Have you tried re-naming the file to be the same as the one it expects for your NAS?

mherger
2013-05-17, 00:34
> Have you tried re-naming the file to be the same as the one it expects
> for your NAS?

Please note that those names refer to the CPU your devices uses. You can't
just mix and match them.

--

Michael

allgonepetetong
2013-05-20, 12:10
Thanks guys, I'll look into upgrading my NAS box to something appropriate.

In the meantime, how do I connect to MySqueezebox.com on my Duet? It's dead easy on the Boom - just select my squeezebox, but when I do that on the Duet it doesn't actually do anything. Thoughts?

toby10
2013-05-21, 03:23
Duet > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Switch to MySB.com (you can place this on your Home menu by pressing & holding that menu item).

Or, with LMS not running, select Internet Radio or My Apps, it should offer the same switch.

allgonepetetong
2013-05-22, 11:41
Duet > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Switch to MySB.com (you can place this on your Home menu by pressing & holding that menu item).

Or, with LMS not running, select Internet Radio or My Apps, it should offer the same switch.

That's the thing, when I do that (Duet > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Switch to MySB.com) nothing actually happens. It clicks on the controller but it doesn't switch from LMS to MSB.com.

I have LMS running permanently on my NAS so wouldn't want to turn it off, but when I do and try to select My Apps > Napster it states "problem connecting" and prompts me to either Try again, switch library, go home or choose player all of which try to connect to LMS again. A vicious circle.

what's going on?

toby10
2013-05-23, 01:19
That's the thing, when I do that (Duet > Settings > Advanced > Networking > Switch to MySB.com) nothing actually happens. It clicks on the controller but it doesn't switch from LMS to MSB.com.

I have LMS running permanently on my NAS so wouldn't want to turn it off, but when I do and try to select My Apps > Napster it states "problem connecting" and prompts me to either Try again, switch library, go home or choose player all of which try to connect to LMS again. A vicious circle.

what's going on?

Something is blocking your Duet from seeing the internet. Tried rebooting (just power cycling) router and Receiver player?

Mnyb
2013-05-23, 09:04
Something is blocking your Duet from seeing the internet. Tried rebooting (just power cycling) router and Receiver player?

Or can the nas see interject properly ? A hint that it can not is loss of radio menus and apps on th epochal LMS server and DNA errors in the log .

Is the duet actually registered on mysqueezebox. com ? and at the same account as your boom and at the account you configured in the local LMS server ?

allgonepetetong
2013-05-30, 13:21
I am able to play internet radio through the Duet so I know it is connecting to the web via the NAS, it just won't connect to MSB.com. Indeed, when I go to MSB.com it says the boom is connected but not the Duet. Can you suggest anything I should do to connect?

toby10
2013-05-31, 05:14
I am able to play internet radio through the Duet so I know it is connecting to the web via the NAS, it just won't connect to MSB.com. Indeed, when I go to MSB.com it says the boom is connected but not the Duet. Can you suggest anything I should do to connect?

That means the Boom is connected directly to MySB.com and your Duet is connected to LMS, two different servers.

Shut down LMS, play any internet stream, that player should offer a switch to MySB.com. If it doesn't, then something is still blocking the player from seeing MySB.com. Sure your players are properly registered to the correct MySB.com account? LMS > Settings > MySB.com is same login info as is your registered players?

To test if a NAS issue, install LMS on an actual computer (PC/Mac), try those same internet streams.