PDA

View Full Version : Why Mysqueezebox?

valnar
2013-04-18, 18:55
This might be a question for another forum, but I fail to see why services like Rhapsody, Pandora and last.fm are necessary with free Internet radio stations available. I was contemplating what I was missing by using a squeezelite linux box and the fact I lose mysqueezebox, but it doesn't seem to be much. Is there anything a genuine Squeezebox with mysqueezebox.com access has that can't be gained through free sources with a little searching?

mherger
2013-04-18, 20:54
This might be a question for another forum, but I fail to see why services like Rhapsody, Pandora and last.fm are necessary with free Internet radio stations available.

There's no radio station which would play Situation Dangerous by Bozzio Stevens Levin in its entirety _now_. Deezer, Rhapsody et al. can. "Music on demand" is part of the difference: play whatever you want, whenever you want. Or custom radio: control what your radio station should sound like. Skip tracks you don't like etc.

Mnyb
2013-04-18, 21:12
Where do you live , there is also Pandora and Slacker and MOG .

Where I live it mostly Spotify (which is Solved for a server user by a plugin if you want ).

But don't forget all users that run no local server at all , then mysb.com is their cloud server especially on the old players that. Do exactly nothing without a server .

Michael have done some work to make internetbradio more local in the latest 7.8 . Thank you very muchfor the good work on that :)

But some ( most ) commercial music on demand providers would demand a central intermediary encrypted service provider to negotiate it with , they don't want thier stuff hanging out in an open source server to be exposed .

So whatever happens in the future some sort of "service" to subscribe to would be necessary .

JackOfAll
2013-04-18, 23:47
But some ( most ) commercial music on demand providers would demand a central intermediary encrypted service provider to negotiate it with , they don't want thier stuff hanging out in an open source server to be exposed .

So whatever happens in the future some sort of "service" to subscribe to would be necessary .

Which is where ickStream would seem to fit in.....

toby10
2013-04-19, 04:20
.... I fail to see why services like Rhapsody, Pandora and last.fm are necessary with free Internet radio stations available....

Same reason why most people choose paid cable/sat TV when they could simply use free OTA local TV.
More content, better content, music skipping, personalized ch's, on demand, complete albums, etc...

Same idea why many pay for a NetFlix type service when they have the ability to use their "free" local library for DVD's etc..

pippin
2013-04-19, 04:59
Hm... No Netflix, no cable TV, but Rhapsody, MOG, Spotify, Deezer, SoundCloud, Last.fm and iTunes Match,... I must be somehow different :)

bakker_be
2013-04-19, 05:28
Hm... No Netflix, no cable TV, but Rhapsody, MOG, Spotify, Deezer, SoundCloud, Last.fm and iTunes Match,... I must be somehow different :)
Just imagine how different I feel: I have none of the above, with the exception of cable TV, which I don't watch, and I use only local music files, that I rip myself from CD or buy at HDtracks & Qobuz