PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the functionality of mysqueezebox.com

slimfast
2013-04-09, 05:43
It's inevitable that at some stage, probably in the medium term, support for this service is going to end.

As I understand it, it's responsible for a lot of online streaming functionality of the Squeezebox system, even if you are running on a local server. Therefore when it goes it will probably remove the ability to use a swathe of online music services with the Squeezebox.

Are there any plans underway to try to offer replacement functionality? It's not like nearly all these services don't already have a PC client so integrating something into the LMS either via a patch or plug-in should be possible, right?

Personally, I use Last.fm and Napster a lot and it's easy to listen to both these services through a browser on a computer so I'm hopeful that some 'directly via the local LMS/Squeezebox server' type solution should emerge to allow me to access them on my Squeezeboxes ...

Corelli45
2013-04-09, 05:46
See the ickstream thread below..
Steve

slimfast
2013-04-09, 06:01
See the ickstream thread below..
Steve

I'd not bothered reading that thread as the name put me off ... but whilst it looks like good news and it's certainly something that I would use, it still seems to have a large dependence on a cloud service which may or may not be available into the longer term and is subject to service interruptions.

I'd be hoping for as much 'internet streaming' stuff to be shifted to the control of the user's local server as is feasible. I realise that could be tricky if the suppliers change encryption or whatever - but I reason that for the services where the suppliers can provide a web-based player that works in a platform-agnostic manner on a variety of browsers, it should be possible to implement a solution that would work on a local Squeezebox server.

Corelli45
2013-04-09, 06:05
Lots of speculation at the moment.I think we need to wait and see what Erland, Pippin and co. are up to. It may be a way forward..let's hope so...

Steve

pippin
2013-04-09, 07:11
I'd be hoping for as much 'internet streaming' stuff to be shifted to the control of the user's local server as is feasible. I realise that could be tricky if the suppliers change encryption or whatever - but I reason that for the services where the suppliers can provide a web-based player that works in a platform-agnostic manner on a variety of browsers, it should be possible to implement a solution that would work on a local Squeezebox server.

I beliebe you are a biased here by the experience of how often MySB was unavailable in the past.
However, MySB - when used without LMS - has a very specific set of issues that are mainly rooted in the fact that it's essentially taking the LMS communication model and moves it to the Internet. While that model works fine in your local network, it heavily relies on permanent availability and doesn't scale well. None of this is a problem on a local network but it makes the online server very sensitive.

A service doesn't have to be built like that. Look at how many services these days completely rely on the availability of a back end system without you ever noticing it. How often has Google been down for you? Facebook? Amazon? It's really possible to write available and well performing online services but it helps a lot if they are designed to be an Internet service from the very beginning.

On doing everything locally: it gives you a bit more control but it's not without issues. Try to use the amazon cloud service plugin or the soundcloud one. Or just look at how often the YouTube plugin is broken. All of these things would be much easier and faster to fix with an online service in the background

vining
2013-04-09, 07:54
I'd be hoping for as much 'internet streaming' stuff to be shifted to the control of the user's local server as is feasible. I realise that could be tricky if the suppliers change encryption or whatever - but I reason that for the services where the suppliers can provide a web-based player that works in a platform-agnostic manner on a variety of browsers, it should be possible to implement a solution that would work on a local Squeezebox server.I believe they're working on that to some degree, MHerger just updated TUNEIN so it doesn't require the MySB proxy to establish the connection, Triode made the Spotify plugin so there may be others. I got the impression that MHerger was tasked with making what plugins he could self reliant just to make it easier for Logitech to pull the plug on MySB when the time comes. I don't think Logitech wants to deal with an angry mob carrying pick forks when that happens so they're trying to make it painless for everyone as possible. Time will tell.

As far as IckStream goes I think it's easier for them to manage accounts if they impliment some sort of cloud proxy at least to initiate the session and then hand off the stream to free up their server's bandwidth. I think it was mentioned elsewhere that they could do it either way and if the negotiations were managed locally they would just need to do server pushes to their apps/devices to force cloud updates when necassary. Again, time will tell what is or isn't to be.