PDA

View Full Version : Date Time screensaver scrolling?

TheShanMan
2013-04-05, 14:15
I have an SB1 and it has quite noticeable screen burn which is evidently from displaying date/time when off. Is there any way, via a plugin or whatever, to get the date time screensaver to scroll to lessen the amount it burns the screen over time? I've done some googling and haven't found anything, but I'm hoping I just haven't stumbled on it yet. For the time being, I'm just setting the screen to be off when the SB1 is off, but it would be so much nicer to display the time.

bwaldron
2013-04-05, 16:21
Look into the third-party FuzzyTime plugin (I don't have the link handy, but I use this with my SB2 and Classic)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

TheShanMan
2013-04-05, 17:34
I don't see anything in the description of FuzzyTime's features that leads me to believe it can scroll the time. Thanks though.

aubuti
2013-04-05, 22:33
I don't recall if FuzzyTime will scroll the time in one direction, but it will scroll one way and then the other. It moves the time display leftward a user-specified number of pixels every X minutes, and then when it gets to the left edge of the screen, moves it rightward the same number of pixels every X minutes until it gets to the right edge of the screen. Then it repeats. A very simple and effective way to prevernt burn-in. Even better than scrolling/looping in one direction, imo. And it's dead easy to set up in FuzzyTime.

TheShanMan
2013-04-06, 12:07
Cool. Thanks for the clarification! This is perfect. I did send an email to the author with a couple of requests. It's pretty hard to figure out the maximum shift, and if you pick too large a value the display will "stick" to the left or right side for a while before reversing direction. It makes it even harder if the time format doesn't include seconds because it only moves once per minute instead of once per second. It would be awesome if both of these things could be improved, but the plugin does serve the purpose perfectly as is.

aubuti
2013-04-06, 14:08
Hmm, I'm thousands of miles away from my SBs right now or I would look at my FuzzyTime settings and let you know what I have. But I have a time display, without seconds, that just creeps back and forth across the screen almost imperceptibly, with no "sticking" at the edges.

peterw
2013-04-07, 08:59
It's pretty hard to figure out the maximum shift, and if you pick too large a value the display will "stick" to the left or right side for a while before reversing direction. It makes it even harder if the time format doesn't include seconds because it only moves once per minute instead of once per second.

Yeah, I wish that were better, too. It likely won't improve because 1) I haven't found time to code Squeezebox stuff for years now and 2) I don't use FuzzyTime much myself for the FuzzyTime screensaver. Most of my devices are SB2/SB3 and I use a version of SuperDateTime that I've customized to use FuzzyTime APIs to move everything around (even less often -- only moves the bitmaps when it refreshes the weather data). SDT makes it even harder to figure out the max shift as it has separately positioned text and bitmapped icons -- so making FT's screensaver max shift logic better wouldn't help my usage, and might actually complicate the APIs used by my custom SDT. But FT is licensed under the GPL, so anyone who'd like to is welcome to take the code & tweak it. I hope that's not cold comfort. :-(

TheShanMan
2013-04-07, 09:07
Nope, that's perfectly fine and understandable. I'm just super happy that it exists at all. I'm a software developer so knowing the code's available, I might just have a look at some point (with what little time I have :)). One thing I noticed is that on first glance it appeared to not work at all on a slimp3 but on closer inspection it only moves between center and left. When moving right, it gets stuck in the center position for the entire time it should be on the right half of the screen. That would probably be my first order of business if I start looking at the source code.

Thank you very much for the plugin, Peter!

peterw
2013-04-07, 17:25
One thing I noticed is that on first glance it appeared to not work at all on a slimp3 but on closer inspection it only moves between center and left. When moving right, it gets stuck in the center position for the entire time it should be on the right half of the screen. That would probably be my first order of business if I start looking at the source code.

Sorry to hear that. For years I monitored eBay and Craigslist in hopes of scoring a Slimp3 -- it, the Transporter(s), and the original, non-bitmapped Squeezebox (and the new UE-branded SB Radio) are the only Squeezebox/Slim devices I have never owned. So I have no idea how well my stuff works on those (I never even bothered to test much with SoftSqueeze's Transporter emulation.)

TheShanMan
2013-04-07, 22:23
I took the first step tonight. I figured the code out enough to change it so that it updates once per second rather than once per text change. :) Next I'll probably figure out why the plugin doesn't work right on the slimp3.

TheShanMan
2013-04-07, 23:19
Well, it looks like there is nothing wrong with the FuzzyTime code with regard to positioning the text on a slimp3. The bug is actually in the slimp3's centering logic when you give it a string padded with spaces on the front - the spaces just get chopped off. If I change the padding to underscores, it behaves correctly. I don't understand the slimdevices sdk enough to know if that is something I can fix, or is a firmware bug, or what. But I'm guessing the only practical solution is going to be making FuzzyTime do the centering itself. Open to advice though!

peterw
2013-04-08, 19:19
The bug is actually in the slimp3's centering logic when you give it a string padded with spaces on the front - the spaces just get chopped off. If I change the padding to underscores, it behaves correctly. I don't understand the slimdevices sdk enough to know if that is something I can fix, or is a firmware bug, or what. But I'm guessing the only practical solution is going to be making FuzzyTime do the centering itself. Open to advice though!

If you're running the server software on Mac/Linux/Unix, then it's just a bunch of Perl scripts and you can easily edit them to change the behavior. If you're running under Windows, then it's a compiled EXE and you'll need to look for information on running LMS/SBS as Perl scripts, something like http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?78440-Quickstart-for-running-quot-Standard-Perl-Version-quot-of-SBS . Or, I guess, really use some RAM and run it inside a Linux VM. :-)

TheShanMan
2013-04-08, 21:01
Thanks! I did download the server source code so that will at the very least help with relearning plugin programming. In the long run though, I think it might be advantageous to not leave centering up to the server and instead programmatically determine line lengths and then pad as appropriate without centering. Since we're starting to go in the programming direction here, I started a topic in the dev forum. I would invite anyone willing to answer some very basic plugin programming questions to help me out over there. :)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98515-How-to-get-a-client-s-size-setting-and-the-line-widths-for-that-size

TheShanMan
2013-04-10, 11:25
OK, I've got this working pretty well. If you set the maximum offset to a very high number, the plugin will automatically detect when the text reaches the edge of the screen and reverses direction at that point. No more sticking at the side of the screen! It also now functions properly in single line mode on a slimp3, working around a bug in the text client code. It also lets you specify how often the screen updates (speed control). Formerly it would only update when the text changed, which meant once a minute if seconds weren't being displayed.

Peter, are you interested in reviewing and incorporating my changes so they can become publicly available? I'd be glad to first test this with a plugin that uses FuzzyTime if someone wants to point me to such a plugin just to make sure it doesn't break other plugins. I've tested FuzzyTime by itself with all font sizes on the slimp3, SB1, and softsqueeze.