PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy music online? Anyone still using emusic.com?

amatos
2013-03-22, 10:07
Hi,

Wondering where everyone is buying music online nowadays. I'm not really interested in spotify and other streaming services - I prefer to own my music files if I can.

I had a look at emusic.com and it seems almost perfect - it has most of the stuff I listen to, I like the subscription concept and tracks seem fairly cheap. I listen to lots of music, and a emusic subscription seems cheaper than buying albums from Amazon, Google music or Itunes. The only drawback is that it doesn't seem to have much classical music.

But no one seems to be talking about emusic anymore, or about buying music online for that matter. Last posts I can find here in the forum are from 2007. Emusic seems to get a lot of bad rep nowadays, with that merger with the ebook company and so on. Got the the feeling it will not stick around for much longer.

Has everyone moved to the likes of Spotify? If not, where do you buy your music?

By the way, I listen to a wide range of styles, but mostly electronica, world music, jazz and classical (baroque). I'm only interested in whole albums.

garym
2013-03-22, 10:13
Hi,

Wondering where everyone is buying music online nowadays. I'm not really interested in spotify and other streaming services - I prefer to own my music files if I can.

I had a look at emusic.com and it seems almost perfect - it has most of the stuff I listen to, I like the subscription concept and tracks seem fairly cheap. I listen to lots of music, and a emusic subscription seems cheaper than buying albums from Amazon, Google music or Itunes. The only drawback is that it doesn't seem to have much classical music.

But no one seems to be talking about emusic anymore, or about buying music online for that matter. Last posts I can find here in the forum are from 2007. Emusic seems to get a lot of bad rep nowadays, with that merger with the ebook company and so on. Got the the feeling it will not stick around for much longer.

Has everyone moved to the likes of Spotify? If not, where do you buy your music?

By the way, I listen to a wide range of styles, but mostly electronica, world music, jazz and classical (baroque). I'm only interested in whole albums.

I think emusic is only mp3 files. I suspect a lot of folks around here prefer to buy lossless (FLAC?). I personally still buy the CD, rip to FLAC (and mp3 for lossy portables). I'd buy downloads more often if they were lossless (FLAC, etc.) and weren't crazy priced (and I was confident that the rips, etc. were securely done....although things can now check accuraterip values after the fact, eg. PerfectTunes (dbpoweramp) or Foobar2000).

matka
2013-03-22, 10:50
Hi,

Very short answer to your needs - qobuz.com. Fantastic catalog in classical and jazz, you can download in mp3, flac or high rez on occasions. But even better, qobuz has flac streaming and we have a plug-in! I bought streaming subscription and could not be more satisfied, there is so much too choose from. If you don't have French, use Chrome to browse the site to translate on the fly.

aubuti
2013-03-22, 11:00
I still mostly buy CDs and rip them to FLAC. I also buy FLAC or ALAC downloads directly from some artists' web sites, and occasionally from sites like Real World and HDTracks. I'm not sure I can hear the difference between FLAC and the 256kbps MP3 that a lot of places sell, but the prices work out about the same, so I'd prefer to have lossless.

If I want to get a single (say, to perfectly fill in a gap in a party mix) I'll buy the MP3 from Amazon.com.

I have 100 or so tracks from eMusic that I got for free via coupons I received as a promotion. Other than that, I've never seen the need to go back there. How does their subscription model for buying music work? I'm familiar with subscriptions for "renting" music on-demand, such as Rhapsody, MOG, and Spotify. I subscribe to both Rhapsody and MOG to explore music that I may be interested in buying, or just listening to for a while until I get bored with it and move on.

mdconnelly
2013-03-22, 14:03
+1 on wanting/willing to buy lossless music (i.e. flac) online and download. I do buy from HDTracks at times but, like others, I'm more likely to buy CDs and rip to flac. I have no desire to buy lossy MP3 music.

Gilles2
2013-03-25, 02:37
+1 on Qobuz : great catalogue of music in lossless quality (even Studio Master, better than CD).
Also great editorial and reviews.
I think a very good match to this community, mostly looking for quality.

Julf
2013-03-25, 04:00
+1 on Qobuz : great catalogue of music in lossless quality (even Studio Master, better than CD).

Just a warning about the "studio masters" - I don't think Qobuz does any real integrity checking on the material they get from the record labels, so just like HDTracks they often end up selling "hi-res" stuff that isn't - there have been far too many cases of "hi-res" turning out to be upsampled from 44.1 kHz and zero-padded from 16 bits to 24. Personally I have only experienced this with HDTracks, but I am not sure Quobuz is any better.

Squeezed_Rotel
2013-03-25, 06:33
http://www.linnrecords.com/
I use both HD Tracks and Linn. Classical and Jazz. Very satisfied customer.

matka
2013-03-25, 06:39
Just a warning about the "studio masters" - I don't think Qobuz does any real integrity checking on the material they get from the record labels, so just like HDTracks they often end up selling "hi-res" stuff that isn't - there have been far too many cases of "hi-res" turning out to be upsampled from 44.1 kHz and zero-padded from 16 bits to 24. Personally I have only experienced this with HDTracks, but I am not sure Quobuz is any better.
After similar experiences with HDTracks, I have given up on buying hi-rez, plus I don't think that I can hear the difference anyway. My warm endorsement of qobuz comes with a little bit of waring and I should have done it earlier. Once you download, check the spectrum. On couple of occasions I've got transcodes from mp3, once on a brand new recording (Brentano Quartet Beethoven Qt). I have contacted qobuz, they admitted that there is a problem and replaced with a recording of my choosing in Masters.

I have to concur that they sell what is given to them by record companies.

Pascal Hibon
2013-03-25, 08:55
Seems like Iím not the only one who is still buying CDísÖ I too prefer to rip them to a lossless format and I like to browse through the booklet while listening to the music. Many on-line services tend to sell either a lossy version or a high-res version but no CD quality version. I couldnít care less about lossy or high-res formats.

Julf
2013-03-25, 10:33
Many on-line services tend to sell either a lossy version or a high-res version but no CD quality version. I couldnít care less about lossy or high-res formats.

You could just buy the "hi-res" version - often what you get is only CD quality anyway :)

matka
2013-03-25, 12:15
...Many on-line services tend to sell either a lossy version or a high-res version but no CD quality version...
Quite frankly I have not seen a service selling either lossy or high-res and no standard CD quality. Which service/shop is doing that ?

garym
2013-03-25, 12:51
Quite frankly I have not seen a service selling either lossy or high-res and no standard CD quality. Which service/shop is doing that ?

itunes and amazon sell lossy but no standard CD quality (lossless).

mdconnelly
2013-03-25, 13:04
HDTracks.com and LinnRecords.com are known for their hi-res/studio master downloads (resolution/quality issues aside), but they also sell a lot of the albums as normal CD resolution (44.1/16) downloads. And, of course, their selection is limited.

If/when Amazon offers lossless downloads, it will be a game-changer I think. Until that happens, the bulk of music I buy is still on CD. Of course, I'm 60 years old and a bit anal about the quality of my music. I suspect that much of today's youth care little about lossy/lossless and likely don't actually buy a lot of music anyway. At least that seems to be true with my kids and their friends.

matka
2013-03-25, 14:02
itunes and amazon sell lossy but no standard CD quality (lossless).
My fault, I misunderstood the poster

Many on-line services tend to sell either a lossy version or a high-res version but no CD quality version
as a single service selling lossy and high-rez of the same recording without selling a CD quality. Obviously that's not what the post meant. Sorry.

garym
2013-03-25, 14:11
My fault, I misunderstood the poster

as a single service selling lossy and high-rez of the same recording without selling a CD quality. Obviously that's not what the post meant. Sorry.

Ah. Understand. Not sure myself, as I've not spent much time exploring HDTracks, etc.

cjfreitag
2013-03-28, 15:16
If you are into classical, check out Passionato, Ariama, Presto Classical, and Classical Online. All offer a wide selection of lossless tracks.

HeadBanger
2013-03-30, 11:18
Juno is quite good. They offer CD, MP3 and FLAC/WAV for nearly all of their catalogue but they are on the expensive side. I just don't get how they can sell a FLAC download for more than the physical CD.

mallard88
2013-03-30, 17:28
Just buy a cd and download