PDA

View Full Version : How would you like your social music life to be integrated with music listening ?

erland
2013-03-17, 00:41
I would like to take up your time and ask a bit about how you would like your social life (friends) to be integrated with your music listening/discovery ?

Don't limit yourself to a specific product, system or service unless you feel it's important, just explain a bit what you think would be important and if there are things that you don't care about. Think both about local music and online music when answering. Think both about real life relations and online relations when answering.

The questions below are just some here to give you a view of what kind of things I'd like to know more about, but feel free to expand on other areas within the same topic or skip answering some of the questions if you feel that you don't have an opinion.

1. Do you want to recommend music to your friends ?
-- Do you want to recommend it to all your friends, some of them or a specific one ?
-- Do you want to do recommendations manually or do you want recommendations to be produced automatically based on your playback history ?
-- In which situation do you realize you want to recommend something ?
-- What kind of device/devices do you have in front of you when you want to do the recommendation ?

2. Do you want to get recommendations for great music from your friends ?
-- Do you want to get it from all your friends or would you like to hide recommendations from some friends which doesn't have the same music taste as you ?
-- Do you only want manual recommendations from your friend or would automatic recommendations based on what they have been listening to recently be of interest ?
-- In which situation do you get recommendations ?
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you get recommendations ?
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you want to view recommendations ?

3. Would you like to browse your friends library to find some interesting music ?
-- Would you focus on their playback history ?
-- Would you focus on their recently rated/loved tracks ?
-- Would you focus on their playback statistics, like what they have mostly listen to during the last 3 months or something similar ?

4. Would you accept that friends can browse your library to find something interesting ?
-- Would that be too much of a privacy concern ?
-- Would it be acceptable but only if you could select which parts of your library that should be available to your friends ?
-- Would you accept that they can see what you are mostly listening to ?

5. Do you want to see the music activities of your friends ?
-- Like information about music they have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ?

6. Are you willing to share your own music activities to your friends ?
-- Like information about music you have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ?

7. How do you want to manage the list of music friends ?
-- Through existing social networks like Facebook, Google+,Twitter, ... ?
-- Through a special social music network ?
-- Both ?

8. How do you want to find new music friends ?
-- Only through real life contacts where you have meet the person ?
-- Through this community ?
-- Do you want to get recommendations of new possible friends based on that you listen to similar music ?

I've also recently posted some other similar threads for other topics, if you haven't answered on them previously please take the time to do so:
- Usage of online services in your family: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98198-Usage-of-online-services-in-your-family
- Usage of local music library in your family: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98199-Usage-of-local-music-libraries-in-your-family
- How do you want to create/manage playlists: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94988-How-do-you-want-to-create-manage-playlists

erland
2013-03-22, 09:34
Does the silence mean that nobody is interested in social features in your music streaming device ?

Hofstede
2013-03-22, 11:08
For me listening to music is a very personal thing. I don't feel any need to share what I'm listening to with other people. Unless they are in the same room with me off course :)

kidstypike
2013-03-22, 11:36
For me listening to music is a very personal thing. I don't feel any need to share what I'm listening to with other people. Unless they are in the same room with me off course :)

+1

That just about sums up my feelings about music too.
I'm 61, I don't tweet, twitter or belong to any social groups.
I have a mild interest in what my 3 brothers and two sisters listen to.

pippin
2013-03-22, 11:37
Well, for me, personally, it's not so much that I feel the need to share myself but I've found it to be quite a valuable resource to learn about music some of my online friends listen to, especially the ones spending much more time for exploring new stuff than I could ever afford to....

garym
2013-03-22, 11:40
Mostly I just want to have my music playback from all devices tracked by last.fm (or similar) so I can see it myself (MY MAIN USE), give others links, etc. I have no desire to constantly update any social media contacts with my now playing....to your questions:

1. Do you want to recommend music to your friends ? SOMETIMES
-- Do you want to recommend it to all your friends, some of them or a specific one ? SPECIFIC ONES
-- Do you want to do recommendations manually or do you want recommendations to be produced automatically based on your playback history ? MANUALLY
-- In which situation do you realize you want to recommend something ? WHEN PLAYING, BROWSING
-- What kind of device/devices do you have in front of you when you want to do the recommendation ? IPHONE, LAPTOP, IPAD

2. Do you want to get recommendations for great music from your friends ? YES
-- Do you want to get it from all your friends or would you like to hide recommendations from some friends which doesn't have the same music taste as you ? ALL FREINDS
-- Do you only want manual recommendations from your friend or would automatic recommendations based on what they have been listening to recently be of interest ? OPEN
-- In which situation do you get recommendations ? WHAT AM I LISTENING TO NOW THREAD ON THIS FORUM, OR SIMILAR
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you get recommendations ? LAPTOP, IPAD, IPHONE
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you want to view recommendations ? LAPTOP, IPAD, IPHONE

3. Would you like to browse your friends library to find some interesting music ? MAYBE, NOT REALLY AS MOST FRIENDS DON'T HAVE WELL ORGANIZED MUSIC LIBRARY
-- Would you focus on their playback history ? YES
-- Would you focus on their recently rated/loved tracks ? NOT REALLY, AS I MYSELF DON'T USE RATINGS OR MOST LOVED SO NOT SURE WHAT i'D SEE IN OTHERS LIBRARIES
-- Would you focus on their playback statistics, like what they have mostly listen to during the last 3 months or something similar ? PROBABLY

4. Would you accept that friends can browse your library to find something interesting ? MAYBE, IF ON WEB AND NOT MY SYSTEM (LIKE LAST.FM)
-- Would that be too much of a privacy concern ? NO
-- Would it be acceptable but only if you could select which parts of your library that should be available to your friends ?
-- Would you accept that they can see what you are mostly listening to ? YES

5. Do you want to see the music activities of your friends ? YES, SOMEWHAT
-- Like information about music they have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ? YES

6. Are you willing to share your own music activities to your friends ? YES
-- Like information about music you have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ? YES

-- Through existing social networks like Facebook, Google+,Twitter, ... ? MAYBE
-- Through a special social music network ? MAYBE GOOD IDEA
-- Both ?YES

-- Through this community ? ALWAYS GET GOOD INFO HERE
-- Do you want to get recommendations of new possible friends based on that you listen to similar music ? MAYBE

garym
2013-03-22, 11:43
Does the silence mean that nobody is interested in social features in your music streaming device ? Of all my obsession with music, sharing via social means is on the bottom of my list of needs. I like to see the occasional recommendation on the forum. Then again, I'm not much of a social media sharer to begin with. I have facebook, linkedin, twitter (and somewhat use all of these related to work activities) but only rarely look at any of them or post anything of my own. Maybe 1 facebook or linkedin post per month!

SlimChances
2013-03-22, 11:43
Perhaps a selfish thing, but for me also, the music is primarily my entertainment and not intended for many others. On social occassions when people come over I share my music but I rarely allow them at the controls although I ask them what they would like to listen to. My wife is the only person that uses the Squeezebox regulary . I do like to know what others are listening to and I sometimes lend out music in CD form. Other than forums like this I do not use Social media

epoch1970
2013-03-22, 12:39
Erland, for the record:

1. Do you want to recommend music to your friends ? => Sometimes
-- Do you want to recommend it to all your friends, some of them or a specific one ? => Specific
-- Do you want to do recommendations manually or do you want recommendations to be produced automatically based on your playback history ? => Manually
-- In which situation do you realize you want to recommend something ? => When discussing w/ the person. Usually not at home, and usually I forgot part of the information I'd like to share…
-- What kind of device/devices do you have in front of you when you want to do the recommendation ? => My mobile phone.

2. Do you want to get recommendations for great music from your friends ? => I do. I have a few friends much more knowledgeable thant myself.
-- Do you want to get it from all your friends or would you like to hide recommendations from some friends which doesn't have the same music taste as you ? => Selected friends
-- Do you only want manual recommendations from your friend or would automatic recommendations based on what they have been listening to recently be of interest ? => They know what I should like. Automatic wouldn't probably do.
-- In which situation do you get recommendations ? => Discussing, sometimes listening to music.
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you get recommendations ? => Mobile phone
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you want to view recommendations ? => ditto

3. Would you like to browse your friends library to find some interesting music ? => yes
-- Would you focus on their playback history ? => probably not
-- Would you focus on their recently rated/loved tracks ? => possibly
-- Would you focus on their playback statistics, like what they have mostly listen to during the last 3 months or something similar ? => no

4. Would you accept that friends can browse your library to find something interesting ? => yes
-- Would that be too much of a privacy concern ? => not a problem with real (life) friends
-- Would it be acceptable but only if you could select which parts of your library that should be available to your friends ? => no. It's all or nothing (one less thing to manage)
-- Would you accept that they can see what you are mostly listening to ? => yes

5. Do you want to see the music activities of your friends ? => If you mean a feed, instead of me seeking for the information: not interested.
-- Like information about music they have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ?

6. Are you willing to share your own music activities to your friends ? => I doubt it is of much interest, but yes.
-- Like information about music you have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ?

7. How do you want to manage the list of music friends ? => Don't care, as long as the group is completely closed.
-- Through a special social music network ?
-- Both ?

8. How do you want to find new music friends ? => I am not looking for new music friends.
-- Only through real life contacts where you have meet the person ? => yes.
-- Through this community ? => great community, but I don't see how that would work for me.
-- Do you want to get recommendations of new possible friends based on that you listen to similar music ? => no.

bakker_be
2013-03-22, 12:51
Mostly I just want to have my music playback from all devices tracked by last.fm (or similar) so I can see it myself (MY MAIN USE), give others links, etc. I have no desire to constantly update any social media contacts with my now playing....to your questions:

1. Do you want to recommend music to your friends ? SOMETIMES
-- Do you want to recommend it to all your friends, some of them or a specific one ? SPECIFIC ONES
-- Do you want to do recommendations manually or do you want recommendations to be produced automatically based on your playback history ? MANUALLY
-- In which situation do you realize you want to recommend something ? WHEN PLAYING, BROWSING
-- What kind of device/devices do you have in front of you when you want to do the recommendation ? IPHONE, LAPTOP, IPAD

2. Do you want to get recommendations for great music from your friends ? YES
-- Do you want to get it from all your friends or would you like to hide recommendations from some friends which doesn't have the same music taste as you ? ALL FREINDS
-- Do you only want manual recommendations from your friend or would automatic recommendations based on what they have been listening to recently be of interest ? OPEN
-- In which situation do you get recommendations ? WHAT AM I LISTENING TO NOW THREAD ON THIS FORUM, OR SIMILAR
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you get recommendations ? LAPTOP, IPAD, IPHONE
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you want to view recommendations ? LAPTOP, IPAD, IPHONE

3. Would you like to browse your friends library to find some interesting music ? MAYBE, NOT REALLY AS MOST FRIENDS DON'T HAVE WELL ORGANIZED MUSIC LIBRARY
-- Would you focus on their playback history ? YES
-- Would you focus on their recently rated/loved tracks ? NOT REALLY, AS I MYSELF DON'T USE RATINGS OR MOST LOVED SO NOT SURE WHAT i'D SEE IN OTHERS LIBRARIES
-- Would you focus on their playback statistics, like what they have mostly listen to during the last 3 months or something similar ? PROBABLY

4. Would you accept that friends can browse your library to find something interesting ? MAYBE, IF ON WEB AND NOT MY SYSTEM (LIKE LAST.FM)
-- Would that be too much of a privacy concern ? NO
-- Would you accept that they can see what you are mostly listening to ? YES

5. Do you want to see the music activities of your friends ? YES, SOMEWHAT
-- Like information about music they have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ? YES

6. Are you willing to share your own music activities to your friends ? YES
-- Like information about music you have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ? YES

-- Through existing social networks like Facebook, Google+,Twitter, ... ? MAYBE
-- Through a special social music network ? MAYBE GOOD IDEA
-- Both ?YES

-- Through this community ? ALWAYS GET GOOD INFO HERE
-- Do you want to get recommendations of new possible friends based on that you listen to similar music ? MAYBE

Most of these answers are applicable to me, especially the first answer to question 3: so totally recognizable :D

NickSLK
2013-03-23, 03:56
Of all my obsession with music, sharing via social means is on the bottom of my list of needs. I like to see the occasional recommendation on the forum. Then again, I'm not much of a social media sharer to begin with. I have facebook, linkedin, twitter (and somewhat use all of these related to work activities) but only rarely look at any of them or post anything of my own. Maybe 1 facebook or linkedin post per month!

That is pretty much exactly my view too.

garym
2013-03-23, 05:36
An additional thought. Maybe I don't think much about integrating social music life simply because I'm not in the habit of doing it. So maybe it would revolutionize my music listening (as the Squeezebox ecosystem has done for me). So if done well, I might come to love it. I'm an old guy, but when I think back to my teen years, essentially every day was integrated social life with music, as my friends and I constantly talked about music, bands, concerts, and loaned each other records, made tape copies (reel to reel in pre-cassette days!) and hung on every word of our "underground FM" radio DJs (something new at the time). With current technology I guess I could recreate that. I do know that there are people on this very forum that I find have similar music tastes to me and their recommendations I take seriously and I'm always impressed to find something new (to me) and interesting.

Bottom line, quality radio is no longer my source of new info so some alternatives to learn about new music is a very good thing and does require two way communication (my recommendations to others and theirs to me). I suppose asking me about preferences for sharing is sort of like asking me how I might use a Squeezebox before I had one. At the time I purchased my first one (a boom), I thought it would be nice to listen to internet radio in bed. Obviously, based on my signature info my use of SB has changed. So my use of social media/music info sharing is likely to change once I'm aware of/comfortable with the tools.

Hofstede
2013-03-23, 07:53
You could also think about Ping, the short-lived social music sharing feature in ITunes that Apple introduced two years ago. It never was a success because people just don't feel the need to share their music and it has now been removed.

Julf
2013-03-23, 08:11
If you share music, remember to use clean headsets!

pippin
2013-03-23, 10:19
@hofstede
OTOH it's the very thing making Spotify successful with their otherwise still pretty mediocre service (compared to other alternatives available)

GeeJay
2013-03-23, 10:42
Most of my friends have crappy taste in music, so no.

Mnyb
2013-03-23, 10:44
1. Do you want to recommend music to your friends ?
-- Do you want to recommend it to all your friends, some of them or a specific one ? Yes Yes and Yes , but i have to able to choose recipeint(s)
-- Do you want to do recommendations manually or do you want recommendations to be Manually in most cases ,any automated mode needs to be possible to set on and of and the possibility to do bulk share after the fact so that you can do some censoring of guilty pleasures or just crap that a mixer trowed in to the lot :)

-- What kind of device/devices do you have in front of you when you want to do the recommendation ? Phone Tablet or PC

2. Do you want to get recommendations for great music from your friends ?
-- Do you want to get it from all your friends or would you like to hide recommendations from some friends which doesn't have the same music taste as you ? Yes I would like to able to filter a bit
-- Do you only want manual recommendations from your friend or would automatic recommendations based on what they have been listening to recently be of interest ? Both , the auto stuff could be in some playlogs that I could access , manual stuff could be a more active thing where you get a message that a freind has recomeded something
-- In which situation do you get recommendations ? Parties and car rides and facebook
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you get recommendations ? Phone Tablet or PC or nothing
-- What kind of device/devices/service do you have in front of you when you want to view recommendations ?Phone Tablet or PC

3. Would you like to browse your friends library to find some interesting music ?
-- Would you focus on their playback history ? Yes
-- Would you focus on their recently rated/loved tracks ?Yes
-- Would you focus on their playback statistics, like what they have mostly listen to during the last 3 months or something similar ?Yes

4. Would you accept that friends can browse your library to find something interesting ?
-- Would that be too much of a privacy concern ?Not really se q 4.3
-- Would it be acceptable but only if you could select which parts of your library that should be available to your friends ?Yes
-- Would you accept that they can see what you are mostly listening to ?Not always :) I would like to filter out some guilty pleasures and jmy test listening done on spotify or bandcamp

5. Do you want to see the music activities of your friends ?
-- Like information about music they have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ?Yes

6. Are you willing to share your own music activities to your friends ?
-- Like information about music you have recently added to their library, listened to or marked as loved ?Yes ,but with some conditions that I can set like in Q4

-- Through a special social music network ?Yes
-- Both ?

8. How do you want to find new music friends ? I cant really say it actually depends on how the service you have in mind will work
-- Through this community ?Community members are always welcome
-- Do you want to get recommendations of new possible friends based on that you listen to similar music ?

andifor
2013-03-24, 00:50
For me, squeeze box and server where always used with my local music in my flat only. So I don't need any integration into social media (don't use them anyway) and for that matter, don't use any on-line service.

So if possible, the software should be as flexible as possible e.g. a core module with the local music feature and extensions / plug-ins for social media integration, on-line services, others...

Mnyb
2013-03-24, 02:00
Is there not some legal limitations we must consider , if we all hooked up our server to each other we would only rarely have to buy anything at all :) if I hooked up to 10 people on the forum with > 100k song collections that would be it .

So this is going to parse trough our own subscribed services ? I see what friend A is listening whants to listen to the same track and my server checks with spotify and Deezer ( the services I have ) and play the track .

The key to sucess is a very good UI and experience that promotes discovery , I concur with pippin re spotify thier UI does not promote discovery . In fact due to Mhergers smartmix plugin I'm finally getting some significant play time from Deezer and spotify :) and with the play log plugin I can peek afterwards to get some good recommendations ,very clever .

esas
2013-05-13, 06:16
I don't use any kind of social music sharing stuff. Focus on the music playing parts!