PDA

View Full Version : Which online services do you use (if any)?

simbo
2013-03-07, 01:56
With the recent discussions about the longevity of MySB and the impact on online services, I thought we might take a gauge of how many people use online services and which ones.

If you don't use any, please choose "None" rather than not voting.

If you choose "Other", please add it as a comment below.

Note this only covers services that are available via your SB right now, not ones that aren't supported (e.g. Google Music).

ModelCitizen
2013-03-07, 02:13
Should BBC iPlayer be considered an online service?

asplundj
2013-03-07, 02:13
I use WiMP and voted other

simbo
2013-03-07, 02:16
Should BBC iPlayer be considered an online service?
Yes it should, sorry! The poll is limited to 10 entries (plus I can't edit it anyway!). I suggest people who choose Other add a comment as you have.

aubuti
2013-03-07, 07:12
I voted. I subscribe to both MOG and Rhapsody, using their basic US$5/month plans. Why do I have both? It started as a comparison between the two (I also tried Spotify, and dropped it because I didn't like the interface as well, even with triode's plugin). Now it's laziness about dropping one, because it's rare that I find an album that's on one service but not the other. I've been meaning to drop Rhapsody because it won't play on my iPad or iPod via the iPeng SB player app. But now that Beats has acquired MOG I may wait a bit longer and see what they do with it.

I also have a free Pandora account, but I don't use it much. On the other hand, internet radio probably gets more air time than anything else in our house. Mostly its the local NPR station (WAMU) and Radio Paradise. Without those (especially NPR) I'd have to rethink at least part of our current SB deployment, especially the SB2 in the kitchen and SB Radio in the bedroom.

simbo
2013-03-07, 08:29
To those selecting "Other" - please can you respond with the service you use? Thanks.

dustinsterk
2013-03-07, 08:55
To those selecting "Other" - please can you respond with the service you use? Thanks.

Hey Simbo,
Sirius/XM I think is one you missed.

Julf
2013-03-07, 09:03
Quobuz

epoch1970
2013-03-07, 09:13
I voted "Internet Radio / TuneIn" but the service of BBC iPlayer is also greatly appreciated.

Julf
2013-03-07, 09:17
I voted "Internet Radio / TuneIn" but the service of BBC iPlayer is also greatly appreciated.

Add me for BBC as well.

erland
2013-03-07, 09:17
When interpreting the result, just remember that:
- "Internet Radio" is going to get a lot lower result in this vote than the reality, the reason being that there are a lot of users out there who only use their Squeezebox for internet radio but never reads this forum.
- "None" is going to get a lot higher result in this vote than the reality, the reason being that while there are a lot of users in this community using their Squeezebox only for local music this is not as common among users who never reads this forum who often use their Squeezebox mainly for internet radio or online services.

simbo
2013-03-07, 09:29
When interpreting the result, just remember that:
- "Internet Radio" is going to get a lot lower result in this vote than the reality, the reason being that there are a lot of users out there who only use their Squeezebox for internet radio but never reads this forum.
- "None" is going to get a lot higher result in this vote than the reality, the reason being that while there are a lot of users in this community using their Squeezebox only for local music this is not as common among users who never reads this forum who often use their Squeezebox mainly for internet radio or online services.
Both good points, although I'm interested to see if the "local yokels" (my newly-made-up slightly-offensive term for local-only users) are as numerous as they are vocal* ;-)

* does that make them vocal local yokels?

matka
2013-03-07, 10:07
BBC and Qobuz, the last one representing maybe 90% of my online service activity.

mintaudio
2013-03-07, 10:54
Internet Radio, BBC iPlayer and Qobuz

sbp
2013-03-07, 11:17
Internet radio and wimp.
Voted other.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2013-03-07, 16:44
Mog , pandora and pono , Neil Young's
Service

dyohn
2013-03-07, 17:39
Sky.FM here.

vining
2013-03-07, 20:26
MOG, Pandora, Spotify. I prefer MOG over Spotify mainly because I can control it completely through CLI while when using Triode's Spotify plugin I can only get so far before it no longer provides the necassary returns. I'm also using a VortexBox so my choices are less than a Touch.

JonWill
2013-03-08, 00:44
I voted - but need the BBC iPlayer included!

Mnyb
2013-03-08, 06:44
Bandcamp and I probably would use last.fm if it worked from my region .

And that's a concern you should weig in , people pick between the services aviable to them and also aviable on squeezebox the Swedish market is basically spotify or nothing for example .
I would sign on to Qubuz if given the possibility and if information was aviable in an language I could understand ;)
( you rarely see Swedish only websites from Swedish companies , but it's quite common in France and Germany with national language only sites ? Cultural anachronism ).

matka
2013-03-08, 08:17
I would sign on to Qubuz if given the possibility and if information was aviable in an language I could understand ;)
( you rarely see Swedish only websites from Swedish companies , but it's quite common in France and Germany with national language only sites ? Cultural anachronism ).
Qobuz. You can use Chrome automatic page translate, works quite well for me (English).
You can establish an account with Qobuz even if you are not in France. The trick is when signing up for streaming, that's were you need French ip, as you probably know that's not difficult to do. Once signed up, you do not longer need French ip to stream.

The above is my experience from Canada.

Mnyb
2013-03-08, 08:22
Qobuz. You can use Chrome automatic page translate, works quite well for me (English).
You can establish an account with Qobuz even if you are not in France. The trick is when signing up for streaming, that's were you need French ip, as you probably know that's not difficult to do. Once signed up, you do not longer need French ip to stream.

Cool

fuzzyT
2013-03-08, 09:38
Love MOG, especially on the iPhone. I hope the Beats Audio/Daisy people don't ruin it (but they probably will).

Soundcloud is also great, although that's more of a community/discovery platform than a streaming service.

And then there are the great Internet radio stations of our time: WFMU, WWOZ, and all the others. That's honestly where about 90% of my online listening happens.

Adam_F
2013-03-08, 20:21
Voted. BBC iPlayer, Live365, Spotify, TuneIn and Shoutcast are all in regular use here.

kc5f
2013-03-09, 08:42
I listen to Last.fm 90% of the time because it's the only service which has the music I like. It's sort of funny, though, because they've essentially cut off service to most countries of the world, but they're the only service with a decent or any selection of music from Scandinavia and other places they no longer serve. I'd be glad to switch to another service, but every one I've tried doesn't even have most of the groups to whom I was introduced by Last.fm and which are now my favorites. I'll be an unhappy camper when msb.com and/or Last.fm shut down for good...

mintaudio
2013-03-09, 09:10

If you email them and ask nicely they will also remove geo blocking from your user account. :)

Rimpel
2013-03-19, 04:11
Other - I primarily use we7

Moffedille
2013-03-19, 04:47
I ticked the Internet Radio entry, but maybe I should have added an "other" tick for podcasts? I use the two of them more than I listen to music from my collection.

autopilot
2013-03-22, 18:20
Other: BBC (iplayer app on my touch mainly).

simbo
2013-04-08, 03:35
OK, wrapping this up after a month and a nice round 100 submissions, I think we can draw some conclusions.

Even with Erland's theories of bias, it's clear that the vast majority of SB owners use online services. In fact only 14% of participants said they don't use them. Clearly any future support for the SB ecosystem must offer online capabilities in order to be successful.
Internet Radio is the most popular form of online service, with 59% of participants using it. This shows how important it is to ensure a partnership with TuneIn or another similar provider can be maintained.
Pandora is the second most popular service, which I find surprising as it's not available in most countries!
Perhaps less surprising is the popularity of Spotify, as it's taken over from Rhapsody and Napster as the on-demand service of choice.
A final note to the "Others", which include BBC iPlayer, Sirius/XM, and some emerging and localised services such as Quobuz.

In conclusion, there is an obvious need for SBs to continue to access online services, and any replacement server application or hardware must be able to meet this need. Thanks to all who contributed.

Mnyb
2013-04-08, 03:40
One weighing factor thats not considered is how we use online services . I do use them ,but most of time i listen to local files .
*but* i find them a great enhancement and needed .
You can develop them further to support the local files with enhanced data, lyrics and bios etc just like some of our plugins do and as the smartmix plug doe sugests similar music from online sources .

I do hate buzzwords but "integration" is the thing i need .

Corelli45
2013-04-08, 03:53
Spotify,iplayer,jazz fm,deezer