PDA

View Full Version : artifacts/glitches w/FLAC

ezekieldas
2013-03-01, 16:57
I am hearing quite a few artifacts / glitches / tiny audible pops when I play FLAC files (example is below). If I play these same files via MPD on the same system I don't hear them. I've reproduced this with just under 10 different files. My system info is also below. It's probably useful to note the decoder (I'm pretty sure it's this one): flac-1.1.2-28.el5_0.1

Here's a file that plays with artifacts:

05 This Messiah Needs Watching.flac: FLAC audio bitstream data, 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 kHz, 12217464 samples

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 06:31:06 MDT 2012
Hostname: mogwai
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.5
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Red Hat - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

Mnyb
2013-03-01, 22:19
What kind of squeezebox are you using or is it a software player like squeezelite ? Or have modded a Touch with TT3 and tiny buffers ( don't ).

Mnyb
2013-03-01, 22:21
If it is a real squeezebox is it doing this when playing flac natively or are you transcoding on the server ( don't to that either it's pointless ).

ezekieldas
2013-03-01, 23:55
They are both stock, no mod, SB. The LMS info page shows the info below. However, it's not from either SB where I hear the artifacts, it's from the squeezelite -> amp -> speaker setup (and no, there are no other issues with this setup).

I am not sure if I'm playing natively or transcoding on the server. How could I check that?

Player Model: Squeezebox Radio
Firmware: 7.7.2-r9663

EDIT: Is this what you're referring to? This is the page right off my LMS server.

http://imgur.com/1MfRnMQ

JohnSwenson
2013-03-02, 00:39
They are both stock, no mod, SB. The LMS info page shows the info below. However, it's not from either SB where I hear the artifacts, it's from the squeezelite -> amp -> speaker setup (and no, there are no other issues with this setup).

I am not sure if I'm playing natively or transcoding on the server. How could I check that?

Player Model: Squeezebox Radio
Firmware: 7.7.2-r9663

EDIT: Is this what you're referring to? This is the page right off my LMS server.

http://imgur.com/1MfRnMQ

These sounds like Squeezelite questions, you are better off asking them in the Squeezelite thread over in the Unix/linux forum. The developer, Triode, will see it better there.

When you ask these questions it's best to carefully describe your setup, for example, server version vxxx is running on computer model, with OS xyz, Mention whether Squeezelite is running on the same computer as the server or a different computer, if it's a different computer mention what that computer is, what the OS is etc. If it's a separate computer is it connected to the server via ethernet cable or WiFi. What arguments are you using when starting Squeezelite. How do you get the audio signal out of the computer? Is it a sound card plugged into the computer, a headphone jack on a laptop, a S/PDIF output from the computer or a soundcard etc. Be as explicit as you can.

Basically supplying as much information as you can in the first post will help the experts zero in on the situation quicker.

John S.