PDA

View Full Version : Static Burst - Radio and Duet

cparker
2013-02-23, 05:56
Hi guys

Has anybody else experienced a static burst at the end of a track/transition into a new track. I've noticed this on the Radio and also the Duet, its really scary if you are listening to some nice chilled music and suddenly for the last few seconds of the track it will go full volume and blast out static. I thought it was a corrupted mp3 track to start with but it will do it again on the next track transition. I tried rebooting the Radio and played the track again, same problem. Rebooted the LMS server and same problem. Only way to "fix" it, is to manually select a new track to play and then it seems ok, the original track will then also play ok again.

Really strange, this is local and wifi connected devices (n class), they are not in a sync group. Smart Crossfade enabled, fade in /out over 10 secs. 100% volume lock on the Duet (not on the Radio)
Will normally play on and off for weeks without issue. Its like there is a buffer fault in the code somewhere that only shows after a lot of play time.

Any thoughts, sure its not doing the speakers any good at all, or my nerves! :)

Cheers

SlimChances
2013-02-23, 07:12
I had this happen while playing a piece (Poem by Robbie Burns)off YouTube with the YouTube plugin. Just about blew me and my friends out of our chairs. I assumed it was the YouTube feed although that same piece worked fine on the computer. I have not used the plugin since and not had another incident but I would be interested if the plugin was not the cause of the static noise.

ezekieldas
2013-03-01, 20:13
Yes I've experienced this and it's really freaky. It's like a 5 second burst of mind numbing white noise and digital glitch. If I had discovered this within 30 days of purchasing my squeezeboxes I might have returned them (and never looked back). It's equally difficult to part with this setup because it fits so well into my existing design.

This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times since I brought the SB into my setup. I'm using LMS 7.7.2 on Linux with squeezelite playing to a local amp via SPDIF.

I remember digging around these forums and elsewhere for answers on how to fix this or at least a suspected cause. Unfortunately I've not found anything useful.

SlimChances
2013-03-20, 06:54
Just had a very loud burst of static on my Touch while playing Flac from my own library. As cparker noted it was in the transition between tracks. On another thread about this occuring with the Radio SB using internet radio a suggestion was made to do a XLink reset. How do I do this and wiil it affect my settings?

Mnyb
2013-03-20, 09:20
Just had a very loud burst of static on my Touch while playing Flac from my own library. As cparker noted it was in the transition between tracks. On another thread about this occuring with the Radio SB using internet radio a suggestion was made to do a XLink reset. How do I do this and wiil it affect my settings?

touch does not have a xilink chip ,maybe a factory reset ? But this usually only happens every 2 years or so with the classic players ?

Mnyb
2013-03-20, 09:21
And on the old players it is always at 100% volume

SlimChances
2013-03-20, 09:33
Will a factory reset affect plugin or applets, or any other settings? The static burst has happened twice in about one month. I checked the last time to see if there was anything wrong with the track using Audacity and the track was fine

Edit: Just had another loud static burst 20 minutes ago. nothing in the server log file for that time instance
Trying a factory reset

Mnyb
2013-03-20, 11:53
All settings that are on the player itself will be affected ,applets and all . So it will be the setup routine again .

there is a use case when it s ones own fault , using DTS or AC3 encoded WAV or flac files and use crossfade...
Can happen in a random playlist if you have such files .

SlimChances
2013-03-20, 12:12
All settings that are on the player itself will be affected ,applets and all . So it will be the setup routine again .

there is a use case when it s ones own fault , using DTS or AC3 encoded WAV or flac files and use crossfade...
Can happen in a random playlist if you have such files .

I don't think I use DTS or AC3 encoding.I use random playlists. this would seem to me to be a bug though

edit: I played another playlist and a song from the same album that gave me trouble earlier popped up but there was no static. Also this has happened on an earlier occasion with a YouTube track (using YouTube Plugin). I am hopeful that the Factory reset fixed matters