PDA

View Full Version : possible bug in how squeezebox radio is handling hostname?

bengaldave
2013-02-22, 13:18
Hello,

Is there a possibliity that there is a problem with how the squeezebox radio is handling its hostname and is possibly causing other connection issues?

When I look at devices in the network map on my router, devices have names that are part readable and then some numbers which I assume have been added to make them unique, so for example,

IMAC-23123123123
or
TIVO-3423423423

The first squeezebox radio to connect to the network looks like
SqueezeboxRadio

The second squeezebox radio to connect only shows the mac address.

So is the second squeezebox radio causing problems because it has the same network hostname as the first squeezebox radio?

Mnyb
2013-02-22, 13:33
Hello,

Is there a possibliity that there is a problem with how the squeezebox radio is handling its hostname and is possibly causing other connection issues?

When I look at devices in the network map on my router, devices have names that are part readable and then some numbers which I assume have been added to make them unique, so for example,

IMAC-23123123123
or
TIVO-3423423423

The first squeezebox radio to connect to the network looks like
SqueezeboxRadio

The second squeezebox radio to connect only shows the mac address.

So is the second squeezebox radio causing problems because it has the same network hostname as the first squeezebox radio?

rename the radio in it's settings or in LMS or at mysqueezebox.com , it's confusing to have several,players with the same name anyway

Julf
2013-02-22, 13:33

Shouldn't be a problem - the network itself doesn't use the hostname at all, all the network cares about is the numeric IP address (I assume you allocate it by DHCP and haven't set it as a static address manually) and MAC address, guaranteed to be unique.

bengaldave
2013-02-22, 16:34
rename the radio in it's settings or in LMS or at mysqueezebox.com , it's confusing to have several,players with the same name anyway

Thanks for the tip, but the host name that is being reported to the router, "SqueezeboxRadio" is not the same string that is editable in the settings.

I already changed the name of one radio to "red squeezebox" and the other "black squeezebox."

The first radio on the network is listed as SqueezeboxRadio and the second one gets no name.

Mnyb
2013-02-22, 19:46
Thanks for the tip, but the host name that is being reported to the router, "SqueezeboxRadio" is not the same string that is editable in the settings.

I already changed the name of one radio to "red squeezebox" and the other "black squeezebox."

The first radio on the network is listed as SqueezeboxRadio and the second one gets no name.

I would not worry about that .

Julf
2013-02-23, 00:56

The name reported by the router is just the hostname tag used in the DHCP request, all units use the same string. Nothing to worry about.

bengaldave
2013-02-23, 09:44
The name reported by the router is just the hostname tag used in the DHCP request, all units use the same string. Nothing to worry about.

Cool, I got worried because I asked one of the maintainers of one of the firmwares for my router and he said something like duplicate host names are not supported.

Which sounded like maybe duplicate hostnames are a problem.

Julf
2013-02-23, 09:49
Cool, I got worried because I asked one of the maintainers of one of the firmwares for my router and he said something like duplicate host names are not supported.

I guess he meant that the router won't be able to show the duplicate names.