PDA

View Full Version : Community Squeezebox: The Name Vote (Round 1)

simbo
2013-02-19, 13:58
After weeks of deliberation, fighting and lobbying, the public have narrowed down the suggestions for the (potential) Community-Funded Squeezebox to 7 choices. Nobody likes most of them, and plenty despise all of them. This hasn't stopped most democratic countries from stumbling along, and neither will it stop us. So without further adieu, here we have The Vote (Round 1*).

The nominations are...

Vuvuzela - You probably know that "squeezebox" is also a colloquial term for an accordion, so it stands to reason that its spiritual offspring should also be named after an instrument. Clarinet? Harpsichord? No, let's go with the Vuvuzela; infamously known for being the prevalent sound of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, who's distraction caused <insert your team> to bow out prematurely. (Suggested by castalla)

OpEncore - Blending two words together is cool. Encore means "again" in French, and is often used to entice performers back onto stage at the end of a musical event. It may be subtle, but it strikes parallels with the aims of this project, and of course the new device will be open-source. Open - Encore - OpEncore. (Suggested by erland/simbo)

Melodia - Melodies are nice, and as it happens Melodia means "pleasant song" in Latin, which also makes us sound clever and little pretentious. But this is a music playing device, it comes with the territory. (Suggested by erland)

Zela - A play on the oh-so-popular Vuvuzela (see above) but without the connotations of a tinnitus-like buzz that you still can't get out of your head three years on. But it's also a nice word in itself and rolls off the tongue well. It's also so tenuous you can explain it to your mates down the pub time and time again. (Suggested by simbo)

Brikk - Perhaps a nod to the final resting state of the GEN1 models, it also nicely describes its purpose - a solid-looking box that sits near your HiFi and acts as the cornerstone of your home music solution. See what I did there? (Suggested by Mnyb)

FLńKK - No, not an Ikea bookcase, but perhaps a reference to the file format de jour and darling of this community; older members will remind us that the first Slim device was called the SliMP3, harking back to a more innocent, compressed age. Let's hope it doesn't come flat-packed. (Suggested by Ghandi)

Open Music Box - Here is a box. A musical box. A product that delivers exactly as described; a box that plays music, and it's open (in a software and hardware development sense). On another level it's a nostalgic reference to the children's toys that open up to reveal a magical world. Or something. (Suggested by erland)

* As for Round 2, let's see where this goes first, eh?

jmschnur
2013-02-19, 16:44
Open music box gets my vote

J

reniera
2013-02-19, 17:06
don't like any of them. i suggest instead :

squeezeback

(it has almost zero match on google - that is important too)

note : 'opencore' doen't sound like 'op-encore' at all in french ! it'd be said like 'open-core' which is meaningless in french. so the pronounciation has nothing in commun with the word 'encore'. finaly, i don't recall someone crying 'encore' after a performance ( we'd say 'une autre' ou 'bis'). 'encore' is for the 2years old who want more dessert...

(ok, i've seen the other post afterwards. i then voted for zela, the less ugly one)

Chunkywizard
2013-02-20, 01:26
Must I would choose any of them, sorry.

CW

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-20, 01:32
I still believe we should consider Squeezebox and Slimdevices if this new player wonít be sold through an official company. If this is a DIY player then Logitech canít stop us from calling it whatever we like.
Using the Squeezebox or Slimdevices name would in that case be a tribute to the Sean and Dean who started our journey into the Squeezebox world.

ModelCitizen
2013-02-20, 01:51
Oh dear. I think all of them are hideous.

Please add a "Let's think again" option.

cliveb
2013-02-20, 02:08

+1. All these names are dreadful. I personally think any name should include the word "squeeze".

simbo
2013-02-20, 02:20

I thought about adding that (unfortunately it won't let me now) but to be honest it's a bit of a given - if the general populace don't like the name that comes out top, people won't use it.

What this whole thing has shown is that choosing a decent name for any new device is hard, especially when the contributors are all musos and geeks.

Personally, I think people are taking this far too seriously. If we come up with a name we can use until somebody (with real talent) comes up with a better one, it has to be easier than calling it "Community Funded Squeezebox".

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-20, 02:44
I thought about adding that (unfortunately it won't let me now) but to be honest it's a bit of a given - if the general populace don't like the name that comes out top, people won't use it.

What this whole thing has shown is that choosing a decent name for any new device is hard, especially when the contributors are all musos and geeks.

Personally, I think people are taking this far too seriously. If we come up with a name we can use until somebody (with real talent) comes up with a better one, it has to be easier than calling it "Community Funded Squeezebox".

I agree with the majority here ; I donít like any of the proposed names (although I voted on one).
Why donít we keep Community Funded Squeezebox or CFS for now? Like I wrote earlier, if this is a community effort, and not an official company, then we can continue to use the name Squeezebox.
It clearly indicates that none of us are marketing peopleÖ :-)

simbo
2013-02-20, 03:10
I agree with the majority here ; I donít like any of the proposed names (although I voted on one).
Why donít we keep Community Funded Squeezebox or CFS for now? Like I wrote earlier, if this is a community effort, and not an official company, then we can continue to use the name Squeezebox.
It clearly indicates that none of us are marketing peopleÖ :-)
OK, how about this: We'll pit the top 1 or 2 from this poll against the default "Community Funded Squeezebox (CFS)" in the next round? This would be a good vote-of-no-confidence for the chosen name from this round.

Y'know, I only dragged this naming thing into a new thread to avoid clogging up the technical discussions in the main thread, but I seem to have become rather attached to it ;)

lrossouw
2013-02-20, 03:26
Hi

I think the vetting process seems to have not worked. We need a way of truly coming up with the 5 best.

My suggestion would be:
1. Go back to the full list of nominations and running a very large poll listing all of them perhaps with multiple (say 5) votes allowed?
2. Remove half the choices with the lowest/no votes.
2. Repeat with the reduced list once or twice until you have 5 options left.
Then do a final one vote per member round.

Regards
Louis

chill
2013-02-20, 03:27
OK, how about this: We'll pit the top 1 or 2 from this poll against the default "Community Funded Squeezebox (CFS)" in the next round?

"Community Funded Squeezebox" ranks up there with the rest of them IMO. By all means add it to the poll with the 'top' 2 from Round 1, but can we also have a 'None of the above" in round 2? If "None of the above" gets more votes than the others, that tells us a lot about how popular the others are (I always thought X Factor and its ilk could have done with a 'Vote against' option).

ModelCitizen
2013-02-20, 03:40
I quite like Whole Audio as a company name and Whole Audio Player, Whole Audio Server etc.

The only bit I don't like is Hole..... and that there's probably someone called Whole Audio already.

pippin
2013-02-20, 03:49
Don't really like any of them but lacking better ideas, I'd go for the Open Music Box.

Vuvuzela is trademarked at least in Germany.

simbo
2013-02-20, 03:53
My suggestion would be:
1. Go back to the full list of nominations and running a very large poll listing all of them perhaps with multiple (say 5) votes allowed?
2. Remove half the choices with the lowest/no votes.
2. Repeat with the reduced list once or twice until you have 5 options left.
Then do a final one vote per member round.
The forum's voting tool only allows a maximum of 10 entries. I originally thought those with +1s could be shortlisted, but there are even more than 10 of those, which I why I went with +2 or more.
The other issue is that more names are coming out of the woodwork daily... and there are plenty of people who don't like any of them :-)

I think the vetting process seems to have not worked.
To be honest that was kind of my reason for bringing this to a head by using this poll... ;-)

castalla
2013-02-20, 05:31
The forum's voting tool only allows a maximum of 10 entries. I originally thought those with +1s could be shortlisted, but there are even more than 10 of those, which I why I went with +2 or more.
The other issue is that more names are coming out of the woodwork daily... and there are plenty of people who don't like any of them :-)

To be honest that was kind of my reason for bringing this to a head by using this poll... ;-)

If there's any sort of re-run. then I really must insist that Community Radio & Audio Player is included ...

simbo
2013-02-20, 05:33
If there's any sort of re-run. then I really must insist that Community Radio & Audio Player is included ...
OK, only if Synchronised HiFi Integrated Transporter is there too.

chill
2013-02-20, 06:16
Vuvuzela is trademarked at least in Germany.

Best news I've heard today :)

castalla
2013-02-20, 06:36
Best news I've heard today :)

S'funny this emphasis on Community especially in these libertarian neo-con times ....

How about something more classical to emphasise the 'commune' aspect ?

eg: δῆμος

Demos ????

DJanGo
2013-02-20, 16:26
don't like any of them. i suggest instead :

squeezeback

(it has almost zero match on google - that is important too)

Hi,

just reminds me to a story like "wedding planning without a woman to have"

Just remember - its all about open/not so opensource - if you decide to build and sell Hardware (even if you just put things from others together) you have to have some issues like guarantie, helpdesk/support and so on and on - thats not quite simply (maybe the company would stay in China somethings should be different)

No one who can build the hardware itself together would buy such a prebuild thing.
Unless there are the benefits of a big discount if someone buys 10.000 items at once.

So i think its a waste of time and a young schoolboydream nothing more.

Just think of the Manpower behind logitech and that even this manpower cant build a "new" logitechmediaserver without using old names in the source.
(if you run LMS under linux you know what i mean)

Did anyone ask the shareholder, whats possible or not?

To make Manuals, Hardware compatibility lists maybe sometime a never Version of LMS that are the goals to keep in mind.

Believe me if you wanna sell such things in Germany you have to get some Certificates that "your" Hardware is in the range.

And the guys who can give you that kind of certificate are not happy if you give them a lolly or two.

They want money big money cause they have to proove if the things is ok and can't hurt someone that is using it.
What you do at home in your cellar is a complete other story. (even its the same - but building for your own and building for others is a complete other story)

Cheers

simbo
2013-02-21, 10:43
So i think its a waste of time and a young schoolboydream nothing more.
Well I agree on one point - anybody who thinks this is going to sell millions and make its contributors rich needs a reality check.

On the other hand, I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility to produce a device - maybe in kit form - that allows people who have already bought into the Squeezebox ecosystem to continue to grow their system despite the discontinuation of official Squeezebox hardware.

JackOfAll
2013-02-21, 11:04
They want money big money cause they have to proove if the things is ok and can't hurt someone that is using it.
What you do at home in your cellar is a complete other story. (even its the same - but building for your own and building for others is a complete other story)

I think you need to think of this as a kit, rather than a finished product. I doubt it is ever going to end up marketed as a finished product by a commercial business, certainly not in the initial stages. Think of it as a group buy for a DIY kit. The assembly required may be minimal, maybe just putting a PCB in a plastic/aluminium case and plugging in a power supply. On that basis we are not selling (for profit, a finished product) that requires CE testing.

DJanGo
2013-02-21, 15:10
I think you need to think of this as a kit, rather than a finished product. I doubt it is ever going to end up marketed as a finished product by a commercial business, certainly not in the initial stages. Think of it as a group buy for a DIY kit. The assembly required may be minimal, maybe just putting a PCB in a plastic/aluminium case and plugging in a power supply. On that basis we are not selling (for profit, a finished product) that requires CE testing.

Yupp, but thinking as a kit - lets get ready to rumble.

* I got an old Ipad a not so old Teac DS-H01-S, ipeng and a pair of JBl Studio one - is that the whatever deluxe?
* i got and Rasp some *ux a DAC and squezelite - is it whatever minimalistic?

Dont waste time for a name - put it in this and that works together and this and that is scrap.
If it should a Forum powered Squeezebox something.

just my two cents ;-)

JackOfAll
2013-02-21, 15:30
Yupp, but thinking as a kit - lets get ready to rumble.

* I got an old Ipad a not so old Teac DS-H01-S, ipeng and a pair of JBl Studio one - is that the whatever deluxe?
* i got and Rasp some *ux a DAC and squezelite - is it whatever minimalistic?

Dont waste time for a name - put it in this and that works together and this and that is scrap.
If it should a Forum powered Squeezebox something.

just my two cents ;-)

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

GeeJay
2013-02-23, 11:53
I opted for "Open Music Box", since that at least gave some sense of what the thing does. But I wasn't particularly enthralled with that choice, either.

MrC
2013-02-23, 12:08
Exsqueezeme?

autopilot
2013-02-24, 08:23
Can't bring myself to pick any of them, all hideous. Sorry.

DaveWr
2013-02-24, 08:29

Agreed, hope the product has more quality than the name.

Mnyb
2013-02-24, 11:48

Agreed, hope the product has more quality than the name.

Cant agree more , i picked one just to keep the most hideous ones out off the loop .

There is always an option to not name the product , if no good names are suggested that's what I think is best alternative .

simbo
2013-02-24, 15:10
Cant agree more , i picked one just to keep the most hideous ones out off the loop .

There is always an option to not name the product , if no good names are suggested that's what I think is best alternative .
I suspect you may be right. For Round 2 we'll include a "none of the above" option, meaning no name will be chosen at this time.

Fahzz
2013-02-24, 18:46
Sonos?

JohnSwenson
2013-02-24, 19:11
Unfortunately I need SOME name to put on the PCBs, files I send to the board house, assembly etc. The software types will be coming up with a new drivers and need a name etc. It would be nice if everybody who does something for the project uses the same root name rather than them all being given the name the particular developer likes. That could get rather confusing very fast.

So we need something for development, it doesn't have to be the "official" marketing name, just an internal "code name" we all use for now. For example the code name of the SB Touch was fab4, the radio's code name was "baby" etc. We need something like that for this project.

John S.

SlimChances
2013-02-24, 19:20
MainSqueeze
(repeating myself again)

castalla
2013-02-25, 01:03
Unfortunately I need SOME name to put on the PCBs, files I send to the board house, assembly etc. The software types will be coming up with a new drivers and need a name etc. It would be nice if everybody who does something for the project uses the same root name rather than them all being given the name the particular developer likes. That could get rather confusing very fast.

So we need something for development, it doesn't have to be the "official" marketing name, just an internal "code name" we all use for now. For example the code name of the SB Touch was fab4, the radio's code name was "baby" etc. We need something like that for this project.

John S.

It's blindingly obvious .....

Use VUVU

&

the actual product becomes ZELA

Mnyb
2013-02-25, 01:09
Wand Player

castalla
2013-02-25, 01:31
Wand Player

'Wand' has sexual connotations - you may as well call it Dick Player !!!

There once was 'A Fish called Wanda' so it could be Cleese !!!

What's in a name, eh???

Mnyb
2013-02-25, 02:51

There once was 'A Fish called Wanda' so it could be Cleese !!!

What's in a name, eh???

It uses a Wand board so I see no problem at all .

Julf
2013-02-25, 03:37

You are proving my point that any word we pick probably has some negative connotation in somebody's mind.

castalla
2013-02-25, 03:39
It uses a Wand board so I see no problem at all .

Just because the Chinese originators chose a daft name for the board there's no reason for the community to run around getting their Wands out.

I've warned about using names which have negative connotations in English before ... but go ahead, ignore the warnings.

ps: magicians also have wands, so let's call it the Potter!

simbo
2013-02-25, 04:05

John S.
What's your timeframe for needing a name, John? Round 1 finishes tomorrow, and my plan was to have a Round 2 (incorporating the top 2 from this round, plus a couple of others and "None of the above") running for another week. If the "I hate all of 'em" contingency are as numerous as they are vocal ;-) then you can have the casting vote for what to put on the boards!

I still like Zela as a codename ;-)

Julf
2013-02-25, 05:07
ps: magicians also have wands, so let's call it the Potter!

Did you hear that, Beavis? He said "potty"! Heh, henh, henh, henh...

JJZolx
2013-02-25, 05:31
None of the above.

castalla
2013-02-25, 06:01
None of the above.

Open Music Box = DULL, DULL, DULL and BORING to boot!

In a last effort to bring this into the modern world - how about some lateral thinking ....

Open Music Box > Open Sesame > Sesame ?

I personally don't like that either but better than OMB.

Or Born-again Open Music Box .... BOMB ?

(and on a side note - just How open is it going to be when it's all predicated on ONE proprietary board?)

Chunkywizard
2013-02-25, 07:50
Hi John,

if you need a codename to put on the board then I suggest you just pick one by yourself rather than being driven by this poll, We can always have a democracy when we get closer to a product! I must say something bland that just describes what this thing is (WandPlayer, SqueezeWand) would do, wouldn't it?

CW

Stuliet
2013-02-25, 08:07
This project has reignited my dormant hacking tendencies and in lieu of anything constructive to offer, I will suggest a name;

SlimWandMusicPlayer (SWaMP) - I quite like the idea of listening to music in the swamp... ;-)

Very much looking forward to Gen1.0 to add to my SB, SB2, Duet, Touch & Radios family

Mnyb
2013-02-25, 09:06
Hi John,

if you need a codename to put on the board then I suggest you just pick one by yourself rather than being driven by this poll, We can always have a democracy when we get closer to a product! I must say something bland that just describes what this thing is (WandPlayer, SqueezeWand) would do, wouldn't it?

CW

+1

erland
2013-02-25, 11:34
Hi John,

CW

Finally two of my very bad suggestions are in the lead and now you are suggesting the poll result should be invalidated ???
:-)

As long as "Open Music Box" doesn't win, I'm reasonably happy.
I mainly suggested Open Music Box to make other people suggest something better, I still can't believe it made it to the poll and even worse that it's in the lead, is there no creativity left in this community ?

Maybe we should just call it "Community Squeezebox" since that's what the forum threads are named ?

simbo
2013-02-25, 11:45
Maybe we should just call it "Community Squeezebox" since that's what the forum threads are named ?
I pity John having to fit that on the PCB ;-)

This bizarre display of democracy isn't costing anything, so as long as John isn't waiting with baited breath for a codename, I'm happy to let this thing run its course, including the Round 2 which will separate the chaff from the wheat. Or perhaps the chaff from the even-worse-chaff.

Anyway, I'm not sure anybody ever claimed this community had creativity... just a passion for music and a slightly obsessive interest in how that music is played.

Mnyb
2013-02-25, 11:46
Finally two of my very bad suggestions are in the lead and now you are suggesting the poll result should be invalidated ???
:-)

As long as "Open Music Box" doesn't win, I'm reasonably happy.
I mainly suggested Open Music Box to make other people suggest something better, I still can't believe it made it to the poll and even worse that it's in the lead, is there no creativity left in this community ?

+1

Can not one of audiophiles use their imagination productively for a change :)

castalla
2013-02-25, 11:52
+1

Can not one of audiophiles use their imagination productively for a change :)

God forbid!

It'll be something like the Munchhausen Pro-Class 27X400-Z-II, or some equally obscure moniker.

Mnyb
2013-02-25, 12:00
God forbid!

It'll be something like the Munchhausen Pro-Class 27X400-Z-II, or some equally obscure moniker.

Name that sounds like food additives is that not Japanese stuff [Japanese brand] E150 ?

castalla
2013-02-25, 12:07
Why not just call it IT ?

simbo
2013-02-25, 12:10
Why not just call it IT ?
"The IT"? No, wait...

JohnSwenson
2013-02-25, 14:14
What's your timeframe for needing a name, John? Round 1 finishes tomorrow, and my plan was to have a Round 2 (incorporating the top 2 from this round, plus a couple of others and "None of the above") running for another week. If the "I hate all of 'em" contingency are as numerous as they are vocal ;-) then you can have the casting vote for what to put on the boards!

I still like Zela as a codename ;-)

Could someone please give this clueless american a little hint about what this zella stuff is all about? It seems to be a major cultural icon, but I have no clue what it is all about.

Thanks,

John S.

castalla
2013-02-25, 14:25
Could someone please give this clueless american a little hint about what this zella stuff is all about? It seems to be a major cultural icon, but I have no clue what it is all about.

Thanks,

John S.

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela