PDA

View Full Version : Sonos "PlayBar"...

simbo
2013-02-13, 02:18
As much as I'm averse to the Sonos environment, I think they might be onto something with this new PlayBar (http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-enters-the-home-cinema-market-with-the-sonos-playbar) of theirs. It's a soundbar, so naturally aimed at the people who want to move up from the speakers in their TV but aren't ready for full surround sound, but - and here's the killer - it also gets them onto the Sonos bandwagon, which leads to them buying more Sonos kit. You have to hand it to them.

d6jg
2013-02-14, 11:57
I like the look of it and had a bit of a read. It's pricey and I think it might be flawed. In the bumph I read it talked about a single optical connection to TV and nothing about HDMI which means you are going to be reliant on your TV passing digital sound out from connected devices eg Satelitte box, blu-ray etc. That's not a common feature is it? Or have I misread the bumph I have seen?

simbo
2013-02-14, 13:12
I like the look of it and had a bit of a read. It's pricey and I think it might be flawed. In the bumph I read it talked about a single optical connection to TV and nothing about HDMI which means you are going to be reliant on your TV passing digital sound out from connected devices eg Satelitte box, blu-ray etc. That's not a common feature is it? Or have I misread the bumph I have seen?
Interesting... I'm sure one of its selling points was that you could play music even when your TV is off. I'm not sure how that would work even *if* you have a TV with digital passthrough.

d6jg
2013-02-14, 13:57
It can play music with TV off - that is not in doubt.
They say that to get sound from the TV (and connected devices) you just need one optical connection. That implies that TVs have digital passthrough and doesn't have one of those asterix that point to small print that says "if your TV supports it.
My bedroom HD TV doesn't even have an optical out only a coax digital out.
Is it normal for current TVs to have digital audio passthrough?

toby10
2013-02-14, 14:03
Guessing with TV off it has WiFi all by itself for Sonos playback. Like their Sonos speaker boxes.

Why would you need HDMI out from TV? All you will get from TV audio is 2ch and (at best) 5.1ch digital lossy audio. The bar is to be used in place of a full surround and/or to boost the TV's weak speakers. Though you could still do full surround from a source (like sat/cable box) to an AVR when you wanted it.

d6jg
2013-02-14, 15:13
Read the specs here
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/playbar
It will stream music via wi fi like any other Sonos and is also designed to upgrade the audio of an HD TV via an optical cable.
The blurb then goes on to say that with the one connection to the TV it will play the audio from a Sat box (or similar) connected to your TV. How?
My recent Samsung Smart TV doesn't output external source analogue sound through its optical out.

amcluesent
2013-02-15, 02:07
>My recent Samsung Smart TV doesn't output external source analogue sound<

But surely you're not putting in analogue sound? Most TVs will output PCM or DD2.0 on the S/PDIF after decoding the HDMI input from cable tv/games console etc.

That said, this is certainly a departure for Sonos in that they are relying on 3rd party kit and peeps ability to set-up the sound bar. Up to now, they've done their best to eliminate external dependencies to preserve the 'it just works' reputation of Sonos, esp. for the ladies.

toby10
2013-02-15, 02:15
.... My recent Samsung Smart TV doesn't output external source analogue sound through its optical out.

It actually says this in the manual? Or you can't get this to work? As suggested, this should work.
Regardless, HDMI input into a sound bar is rather pointless and why most such devices don't bother offering it.

EDIT: My bad, I misread this. Yes, analog input is almost always not going to be output via the TV's digital outs.

bpa
2013-02-15, 02:36
It actually says this in the manual? Or you can't get this to work? As suggested, this should work.
Regardless, HDMI input into a sound bar is rather pointless and why most such devices don't bother offering it.
I've a panasonic (2012 model) and it is the same - audio from analog TV signals (no longer broadcast so only old video camera input ) are not output on the digital audio but are ouput on the analog audio out.
Only sources with digital audio are output on TV digital audio out (i.e TV will not do analogue to digirtal audio conversion for output).

Also with my Panasonic, if say a dvd with 5.1 audio is playingf connected to TV by HDMI - as TV only has 2.0 audio will negotiate over HDMI to get 2.0 from DVD player and only 2.0 audio will be output on digital audio out. So a sound in this case will only play 2.0 audio unless directly connected to DVD player.

chill
2013-02-15, 02:38
Read the specs here
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/playbar
It will stream music via wi fi like any other Sonos and is also designed to upgrade the audio of an HD TV via an optical cable.
The blurb then goes on to say that with the one connection to the TV it will play the audio from a Sat box (or similar) connected to your TV. How?
My recent Samsung Smart TV doesn't output external source analogue sound through its optical out.

Both of my Panasonic TVs send whatever is on screen to the optical output, regardless of the source - very convenient for using my hifi speakers to improve the TV sound. For HDMI inputs and the built-in digital tuner I assume it is a digital passthrough (I've never checked), but it even provides optical out for the built-in analogue tuner, so I've always assumed it must have an ADC. Come to think of it though, I guess even the analogue tuner is implemented digitally, so the audio is probably digital from the moment it's received.

toby10
2013-02-15, 02:58
I've a panasonic (2012 model) and it is the same - audio from analog TV signals (which are rare) are not output on the digital audio but are ouput on the analog audio out.
Only sources with digital audio are output on TV digital audio out (i.e TV will not do analogue to digirtal audio conversion for output).

Also with my Panasonic, if say a dvd with 5.1 audio is playingf connected to TV by HDMI - as TV only has 2.0 audio will negotiate over HDMI to get 2.0 from DVD player and only 2.0 audio will be output on digital audio out. So a sound in this case will only play 2.0 audio unless directly connected to DVD player.

Yes, both are common limitations of TV audio outs, neither would be corrected if using HDMI out. ;)

Few would have analog audio input into a TV if they are expecting digital/5.1 output. The more common setup is digital to AVR for surround and simultaneous analog to TV for non-surround use (like watching news, etc...).

2.0 digital output is really meant for input into an AVR which will matrix 2.0 to 5.1 (or more) via a DSP like Dolby ProLogicII.

Common TV audio outs these days are:
- 5.1 digital out if using the TV's own tuners (OTA, cable, QAM)
- 2.0 digital out if using external digital input source (DVD, sat/cable box, BD)
- no digital output if using external analog input source

bpa
2013-02-15, 03:58
Following d6jg comments, I just did a retest on Panasonic with old video console - analog audio in did comeout on digital audio out. I think I must have messed up some setting last time I tried or did something stupid like vol on mute.

Yes, both are common limitations of TV audio outs, neither would be corrected if using HDMI out. ;)

Few would have analog audio input into a TV if they are expecting digital/5.1 output. The more common setup is digital to AVR for surround and simultaneous analog to TV for non-surround use (like watching news, etc...).

2.0 digital output is really meant for input into an AVR which will matrix 2.0 to 5.1 (or more) via a DSP like Dolby ProLogicII.

Common TV audio outs these days are:
- 5.1 digital out if using the TV's own tuners (OTA, cable, QAM)
- 2.0 digital out if using external digital input source (DVD, sat/cable box, BD)
- no digital output if using external analog input source

I agree no technical reason but the use of HDMI on a sound bar could simplify thing for the end user - just one type of cable. No toslink, coax, minijack or RCA phono. However at the moment with the need to connect to legacy and ordinary audio equipment digital out makes sense for Sonos.

Stoker
2013-02-15, 05:33
A little off topic, but hopefully close enough to get a reply!

Does anyone know of a sound bar type product, which could be used with a sub-woofer to make a 2.1 sound system for the TV that also has a bluetooth (A2DP, I think) input so you could pay music from you phone through it as well?

Cheers
--Ian

honeymonster
2013-04-24, 05:35

Does anyone know of a sound bar type product, which could be used with a sub-woofer to make a 2.1 sound system for the TV that also has a bluetooth (A2DP, I think) input so you could pay music from you phone through it as well?

Cheers
--Ian

Sonos have the wireless sub which obviously works well with the Sonos Playbar (http://www.hifigear.co.uk/sonos-playbar-wireless-hifi-tv-soundbar.html) but is not compatible with bluetooth - there is a analogue audio input on the Playbar though, so you could connect your phone for audio via the headphone socket with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo mini jack cable.

jimbobvfr400
2013-04-24, 06:23
Single optical only on the playbar. There is no analogue input.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

epoch1970
2013-04-26, 10:19

Cheers
--Ian
Libratone Lounge ?
No BT as far as I know.

bakker_be
2013-04-28, 02:27

Cheers
--Ian

Not exactly a soundbar and no bluetooth either, but it has AUX-in and probably sounds better than the majority of soundbars: http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/qacoustics-qtvx-speakers.htm

tommytrousers
2013-12-22, 09:12
If your TV only has digital coax output the Sonos Play bar (http://www.hifigear.co.uk/sonos-playbar-wireless-hifi-tv-soundbar.html) can be fed from a small CYP AUD2 coax to optical converter which costs less than 50GBP.

MichaelJ
2013-12-22, 10:25

Cheers
--Ian

Take a look at the Yamaha YSP-1400 sound bar.

mfw
2013-12-23, 18:42

Cheers
--Ian

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics _US)&SubCatId=Soundbars(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=TVeeModel30(BostonAcoustics)
Uses the television's remote.