PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bluesound as a Slimdevice replacement?

Husted
2013-02-09, 07:23
Hi all

Please excuse me if this is off topic, if so then please delete this thread.

I just picked up at Bluesound Node (see http://www.bluesound.com/products/node) as a replacement for my SB3.
It's made by NAD and I must say that the Node is very promising. It's works just like a Sonos where the music is placed on a NAS which in my case is a Raspberry PI and a USB harddisk.

At the moment I'm using the buildin DAC which sounds more or less like the one in SB3. Sound quality is better than the Sonos Connect which I had on trial prior to getting the Bluesound.

Kuben72
2013-02-09, 08:36
Actually it does sound promising. But expensive

garym
2013-02-09, 08:48

Can two of these things sync from same source (like squeezeboxes)

reinholdk
2013-02-09, 10:56
Can two of these things sync from same source (like squeezeboxes)

From their user's manual:
"Your Bluesound Control App can be used to control the music in every room that has a Bluesound player. You can play the same music in every room or stream separate music to each room - your choices are endless."

gruntwolla
2013-02-09, 14:40

Can't find the prices anywhere - Do you have a limk?

Husted
2013-02-11, 00:16

Where I'm living it cost the same as the Sonos Connect Amp.

toby10
2013-02-11, 02:59
Where I'm living it cost the same as the Sonos Connect Amp.

Which one? ZP120 @ $499 or the ZP90 @ $349?

Husted
2013-02-11, 03:34
Which one? ZP120 @ $499 or the ZP90 @ $349?
Sorry, I didn't realize that there's two versions of the Amp as the shop only had one version.
The Node was priced identical to the ZP120. I'm in Europe and I have no idea how it's going to be priced elsewhere.

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-11, 04:43
From what I can makeup from their website, they share a lot of similarities with Sonos and Simple Audio. They don’t seem to require a UPnP server but instead one of the payers will be the “server” that accesses network shares (where the music is stored). It seems to be a very young company with some former NAD employees.
I guess that their system will still be a lot less flexible as the Squeezebox system is (my major complaint when I tried Sonos for a couple of months).

olc
2013-07-12, 17:38

No link but I found the Bluesound stuff today at a local store. The Node is $500, Powernode is $700. The others I didn't ask about.

Meridion
2013-07-13, 11:58
I would be missing analog and digital inputs in the powernode to play other (non streaming) analog/digital audio sources.

Looks somehow like another Sonos clone...

olc
2013-08-08, 18:04
At this point the real issue with Bluesound is virtually no streaming services. No Pandora, MOG, Spotify, etc. All there is is TuneIN and Radioio. Until they get the major players, it will not make it on the list to replace my Squeezebox.

And if you are happy with how SB works, the VOCO stuff may be more similar to what we have now.

axelwin
2014-01-12, 15:23
At this point the real issue with Bluesound is virtually no streaming services. No Pandora, MOG, Spotify, etc. All there is is TuneIN and Radioio. Until they get the major players, it will not make it on the list to replace my Squeezebox.

And if you are happy with how SB works, the VOCO stuff may be more similar to what we have now.

Looks like Bluesound is supporting Qobuz (with cd quality flac streaming) since last December :
http://https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328 (https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328)

GeeJay
2014-01-14, 19:47

Have you tried it yet? What are your impressions? Does the software offer the same flexibility we currently enjoy?

The latter seems to be the thing that none of the other competitors seem to get, which is the reason I'm more likely to go with some of the community-supported projects currently underway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, however, that a commercial outfit will come along and win my business.

margava01
2014-01-14, 21:02
I just received two bluesounds ( node and power ) and my first review about them compared with squeezebox touch:
- better sound for the bluesounds ( the audio quality is strong ) and it is a better product than Sonos for audio. The sound is clear and bold.
- far away from the flexibility of logitech media server. They will have a hard time to reach the level of experience and development of slimdevice's team and know how. I had a hard time setting a NAS sharing with my above 60,000 songs. Long time for indexing them was terrible. The app has issues with iphone and works well with ipad.

If I had the funding I would suggest to bluesound to support LMS and use ipeng as middleware. It would be a Sonos replacement from day one and a nice migration path from a squeezebox fan like me.

Would I buy a bluesound or a Sonos to replace in the future my amazing squeeze box players? Bluesound ! Well I didn't test voco or pioneer n50

GeeJay
2014-01-16, 18:46
I just received two bluesounds ( node and power ) and my first review about them compared with squeezebox touch:
- better sound for the bluesounds ( the audio quality is strong ) and it is a better product than Sonos for audio. The sound is clear and bold.
- far away from the flexibility of logitech media server. They will have a hard time to reach the level of experience and development of slimdevice's team and know how. I had a hard time setting a NAS sharing with my above 60,000 songs. Long time for indexing them was terrible. The app has issues with iphone and works well with ipad.

If I had the funding I would suggest to bluesound to support LMS and use ipeng as middleware. It would be a Sonos replacement from day one and a nice migration path from a squeezebox fan like me.

Would I buy a bluesound or a Sonos to replace in the future my amazing squeeze box players? Bluesound ! Well I didn't test voco or pioneer n50

Thanks for the report. The search continues….

Otto-Wilhelm
2014-07-16, 14:03
Certainly no replacement for Squeezebox:

How many songs can my Bluesound Player index on the network?

June 25, 2014 21:41

At Bluesound, we are an alliance of audiophiles with the mission to create innovative wireless digital audio products and technologies that allow for the most true-to-life music experience possible. We want everyone to be able to listen to their favourite music on Bluesound.

Bluesound has been designed to work with today’s larger music collections, and can easily accommodate any library up to an average of 80,000 songs. This will depend on the music’s metadata.

If the files contain large album artwork and lengthy artist, title or album names, the index may fill up much quicker and the unit could experience memory management issues.

If you are coming to the limit, the BluOS® firmware will stop indexing music to prevent any problems with your library, and send you a message to let you know the limit has been met and no more songs will be indexed.

I am already beyond this limit:

Anzahl Bilder: 0
Anzahl Videos: 0
Anzahl Titel: 83.153
Anzahl Alben: 5.328
Anzahl Interpreten: 17.830
Anzahl Stilrichtungen: 250
Gesamte Spieldauer: 6139:23:53

callesoroe
2014-07-16, 22:25
Looks like Bluesound is supporting Qobuz (with cd quality flac streaming) since last December :
http://https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328 (https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328)

In Denmark it supports Wimp-HIFI too(Flac streaming) .

mherger
2014-07-21, 04:16
> Looks like Bluesound is supporting Qobuz (with cd quality flac
> streaming) since last December !

There's a 3rd party plugin for Qobuz on SB available.

--

Michael