PDA

View Full Version : NAS Help

shacky
2013-02-04, 16:04
I'm looking for NAS that can backup my PC and MAC files and stream to SB Touch. Anyone try this WD?

http://www.macmall.com/p/WD-NAS-(Network-Attached-Storage)/product~dpno~8214518~pdp.gcebegd

garym
2013-02-05, 05:41
I'm looking for NAS that can backup my PC and MAC files and stream to SB Touch. Anyone try this WD?

http://www.macmall.com/p/WD-NAS-(Network-Attached-Storage)/product~dpno~8214518~pdp.gcebegd

You'll need something that can actually run the LMS program. Many NAS units can't. So be sure about this first. No clue about this particular NAS.

aubuti
2013-02-05, 09:25
+1
Some NAS manufacturers include LMS in the NAS firmware, but that doesn't appear to be the case with this NAS. The web page says it has an 800MHz CPU, which should be just good enough to run LMS, but I don't see the amount of RAM listed anywhere. You should consider 256MB the absolute minimum for decent performance, and 512MB would be a lot better.

And even if it has the hardware requirements, you need to be sure that you can install LMS on it. Most consumer NASs are "locked down" and make it very difficult or impossible to install other software like LMS. At least not without a lot of hacking.

Grumpy Bob
2013-02-05, 12:23
You'll need something that can actually run the LMS program. Many NAS units can't. So be sure about this first. No clue about this particular NAS.

I second this. I bought a QNAP NAS specifically because the review I read said it could run LMS, and there was an LMS package for the model.

Robert

Dogberry2
2013-02-06, 12:09
Yes, definitely make sure it either comes with LMS or you can install and run it, before you spend the money on a NAS. Another brand of NAS that I know supports LMS is the Netgear ReadyNAS. I've been using one for years for the same backup/streaming purposes you're looking for, and it works great.

ply3908
2013-02-06, 15:13
See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?84735-WD-MyBook-Live-NAS

Mnyb
2013-02-06, 21:54

A bit old ,nowadays you can safely ignore to install anything MySQL the implemts tin is not working with LMS 7.7.2 unless you tweak some stuff and on such a puny NAS is it worthwhile .

Does a my book really provide enough CPU for this .

Expected quirks , no transcoding to other formats ( not all files and radio stations will play ) and bit slow web-UI and scan time could be a bit long when adding new stuff .

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-07, 00:57
Look for a NAS of a well known brand (good support and wide spread). It is preferred to have a NAS with an Intel based architecture but it is not a requirement. ARM based will work well too considering you select one with enough processing power.
Iím using a ReadyNAS NVX (Intel based) and that works like a charm. The ULTRA series of ReadyNAS are a very good choice as well: http://www.readynas.com/?cat=88

I recently bought a single drive NAS to back up my ReadyNAS and I use this one when Iím travelling as well. When traveling it runs LMS too. This one does not have an Intel based processor but it works very well too. It is a QNAP TS-119p II http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=822&c=351&sc=514&t=524&n=3363
There is also a TS-219p II who has two hard drives. That would be a better choice if this is your main NAS.

aubuti
2013-02-07, 07:23
I should have mentioned this in my earlier post in this thread. I used two different NASs as my Squeezebox server over the course of about 3 years, and then switched to a basic headless pc with an Intel Atom processor for the past 4+ years, and I have to say that I find the headless pc a far better solution. For about the same cost as one of the NASs, the headless pc is better for running LMS(*), provides all the same network backup functions as a regular NAS, and actually uses less electricity by applying sensible power management. It is also _much_ more straightforward for installing LMS and plugins and allows me to use my most valuable plugin, MusicIP, which wouldn't run on the PPC and ARM-based NASs. And if I need an extra pc in a pinch I can always attach a monitor and keyboard and voilŗ.

(*) better for running LMS in the sense that LMS web ui is much faster and database scans are much quicker. For streaming music to multiple SBs (sync'd or unsync'd) the NASs and headless pc all do a fine job.

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-07, 07:28
I used two different NASs as my Squeezebox server over the course of about 3 years, and then switched to a basic headless pc with an Intel Atom processor for the past 4+ years...

A lot has happened in those 4 past years. Many NAS's today have plenty of horse power and cannot be compared to the poor performance NAS's had 4 years ago.

aubuti
2013-02-07, 12:36
A lot has happened in those 4 past years. Many NAS's today have plenty of horse power and cannot be compared to the poor performance NAS's had 4 years ago.
No disagreement from me. But a lot has also happened on the low-power PC side of things as well, and I still think they're better value for money for a lot of (most?) users. YMMV of course.

Mnyb
2013-02-07, 12:51
The better NAS boxes are improved and the cheap NAS boxes are... Cheaper ?

And the market for general purpose computers in all sizes and hardware typeshas exploded ,some uses them as media servers or media centres or DIY NAS box or vortexbox .

The value of a NAS is often how usefull you find the bundled functionality they support with the hardware , some of it can require a lot of work and knowledge to set up correctly . The form factor has some value to but here there are often computer devices these days in similar chassi . Take the HP microserver I use .
It is perfect for a free NAS project or a vortexbox or WHS server , or as I use it with some Linux distro to simply run LMS ,MIP and Transmission .

aubuti
2013-02-07, 14:18
The value of a NAS is often how usefull you find the bundled functionality they support with the hardware , some of it can require a lot of work and knowledge to set up correctly .
Agreed. I think the main advantage the typical 1 or 2 drive consumer-grade NAS has over a smallish pc is convenience of setup. A user could easily install the Vortexbox distro or FreeNAS or something on a smallish pc and avoid all the hassles of setting up Samba, etc. But even that's more work than many users want to do, so for someone looking for a solution straight out of the box a NAS can make a lot of sense. Before getting a NAS to run LMS I would also give some thought to how much support the vendor will provide in coming years to an orphaned product (SBs). What if the manufacturer drops LMS from future firmware upgrades, but those upgrades include some must-haves for other NAS functions?

shacky
2013-02-09, 15:41
Can SB access NAS music via iTunes? I see many come with iTunes installed.

garym
2013-02-09, 15:45

Generally yes, with the critical assumption that one can install LMS on the nas. LMS can integrate with iTunes files/databases. BUT ONE STILL NEEDS LMS RUNNING.

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-10, 04:58
Agreed. I think the main advantage the typical 1 or 2 drive consumer-grade NAS has over a smallish pc is convenience of setup.
I think it is a lot more than that. A NAS is designed to be a NAS from the ground up. It provides things like advanced power management, easy backup features, fast and easy storage expansion features, etc.

Before getting a NAS to run LMS I would also give some thought to how much support the vendor will provide in coming years to an orphaned product (SBs). What if the manufacturer drops LMS from future firmware upgrades, but those upgrades include some must-haves for other NAS functions?
It is actually the other way around. Logitech dropped Squeezebox and its support will stop somewhere in the future. LMS will still be available for the supported platforms.

Pascal Hibon
2013-02-10, 05:04

Many NASís have the capability the run iTunes Server (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1876358?start=0&tstart=0).
But you do not necessary need that feature. You could also just store your iTunes music on a share of your NAS.

PaulBC
2013-02-13, 16:13

A bit old ,nowadays you can safely ignore to install anything MySQL the implemts tin is not working with LMS 7.7.2 unless you tweak some stuff and on such a puny NAS is it worthwhile .

Does a my book really provide enough CPU for this .

Expected quirks , no transcoding to other formats ( not all files and radio stations will play ) and bit slow web-UI and scan time could be a bit long when adding new stuff .

I've had LMS 7.7.2 running on a My Book Live Duo for the better part of a year without any problems, serving up mostly FLAC files to a Receiver and a Radio.

TimT
2013-02-13, 18:56
+1 for the My Book Live. You can find the 1TB on ebay for less than $100. The instructions for installing LMS on your MBL are clearly set out in the thread referenced earlier.