PDA

View Full Version : Using Andriod Phone as remote but not as phone

SlimChances
2013-02-01, 17:46
I am tempted to buy at relatively little cost an Android cell phone with wifi to use as a remote for my Touch. I have no interest in using it as a phone, I have never owned a cell phone before. My question is can I somehow download the appropriate app to use it as a remote when I have not any paid coverage and can I use it as a wifi remote in likewise fashion?

jimzak
2013-02-01, 17:51
Get an iPod Touch and iPeng instead.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

SlimChances
2013-02-01, 17:53
Perhaps this is ignorant on my part, but I don't like Apple products or their business model.
In any case do I need to have a cell phone plan to make this work as a remote?

mikeh49
2013-02-01, 18:32
You don't need a cell data plan if the phone has wi-fi and you have wi-fi. Of course, now that I said that, both you (that is, your house) and the phone need wi-fi in order to communicate with the Touch, or whatever. You'd turn on the wi-fi on the phone, go to Google Play and find an app. I use Orange Squeeze. Not free but pretty inexpensive.

pippin
2013-02-01, 18:55
It completely depends on the phone.
In no case will you actually need coverage but some phones will require a SIM card. The SIM card doesn't have to be activated (on the network) but you need the PIN.

Don't buy too cheap a phone, there's a lot of cheapo Android crap out there with which you will not have any fun. Decent Android phones start at around 300$, it's probably cheaper to get a subsidized tablet from the likes of Google or Amazon but in the case of Amazon it means extra work to get non-Amazon Apps on it.

EDIT: price. The 250 I had in mind seemed to have been a Euro price.
Tablets are often cheaper because they don't have to include an expensive phone chipset.

Oh, and a second remark because that's more of a limitation in the US than in Europe these days as I understand: You obviously can't buy the phone from a cellphone provider or with a contract, even a pre-paid one since the phone might be locked.

And last note: don't get dogmatic on Apple's business model, it's the same as everybody else's: make money on hardware. Don't believe everything you read, if you look at their balance sheet you'll notice that every other business they are doing except for selling hardware is completely irrelevant from a financial standpoint, so it's completely not true that they "lock you in" to later also sell you software, music and other stuff (while it's actually very true of Google who ONLY make money on such secondary businesses). They lock you in (and 3rd party developers and content providers) to be able to offer the best products which allows them to take a hefty markup on the hardware.

jimzak
2013-02-01, 19:20
Another great option is a nexus 7 and any of the android apps.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

SlimChances
2013-02-01, 19:29
Thank you for your posts. I would never consider spending $250 on a remote for my Touch. I just noticed some Android phones on E Bay going for around $50(http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-Android-2-3-Qualcomm-WiFi-Capacitive-Smart-Phone-w-Google-Play-Store-/390535797066?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item5aedbf594a) which did not seem bad as a Squeezebox remote on the Bay is about $28

pippin
2013-02-01, 20:09
Well, if it's outdated but decent one, you can live with not getting Android updates anymore and you are prepared to eventually buy a replacement battery, then a used Android phone at that price range might be a good deal.
However, make sure the OS version on it is supported by the Apps you want to use. SqueezeCommander goes pretty far back but I'm not sure about OrangeSqueeze, SqueezeControl or the Logitech App.

ModelCitizen
2013-02-02, 00:52
Do you have Groupon in the States? If so they've just had some 7 inch tablets going for around $80. This and Orange Squeeze for $5 will give you the best remote available. It will be useful for lots of other things too and it'll run so much faster than an old Apple device (which run like dogs on later versions of iOS.),

jimbobvfr400
2013-02-02, 05:03
However, make sure the OS version on it is supported by the Apps you want to use. SqueezeCommander goes pretty far back but I'm not sure about OrangeSqueeze, SqueezeControl or the Logitech App.

All of the those apps are running fine on an old Gingerbread (2.3) phone I have as a dedicated remote. It's a zte blade (sold as an Orange San Francisco here in the UK) which is no longer used by my wife after she upgraded to a Samsung GS2. I've disabled the screen lock and not installed anything else other than various squeezebox apps including squeezeplay.

I have no sim card installed, just use wifi, In fact I'm a bit of an android addict and haven't yet had a phone that won't work without a sim.

Having said all that I still tend to mainly use my Nexus 7 as it's normally very close by.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

azinck3
2013-02-02, 06:04
In that price-range I'd strongly suggest a used iPod touch. One of the many problems with old/cheap Android devices is that they aren't likely to get OS updates. You can find a 4th generation iPod touch (one generation older than the current one) for < $100 on Craigslist. It'll be quite modern and speedy and continue to be get OS updates from Apple for probably 2 years. I would join with those encouraging you not to be too dogmatic about "Apple's business practices". If you're relatively new to smart-devices, an Apple product is likely to be easier for you to deal with (not just from a user-experience perspective, but also because Android suffers from such software and hardware fragmentation that you're likely to be frustrated by apps that won't run properly on old or unpopular hardware).

If you're willing to spend a bit more I'd strongly recommend a Nexus 7. It's a thoroughly modern Android device running Jelly Bean (which is FINALLY smooth, as compared to all previous versions of Android which are pretty jerky compared to iOS) and is more likely to get ongoing updates than most other Android devices. You can find them on Craigslist in the $150-$200 range.

SlimChances
2013-02-02, 07:56
Well the Android link I posted was for a new phone so I would think the software is relatively up to date. However it is beginning to seem a bit too complicated so I will probably stick with a traditional remote. I have a couple of Harmony remotes that I programmed for the Squeezebox so these will do fine. While the thought of a colour display for album art is attractive I would not be willing to spend yet more money for Apps that allow communication between the phone and the player. As I said I have never owned a cell phone and perhaps never will.

azinck3
2013-02-02, 07:59
Well the Android link I posted was for a new phone so I would think the software is relatively up to date. However it is beginning to seem a bit too complicated so I will probably stick with a traditional remote. I have a couple of Harmony remotes that I programmed for the Squeezebox so these will do fine. While the thought of a colour display for album art is attractive I would not be willing to spend yet more money for Apps that allow communication between the phone and the player. As I said I have never owned a cell phone and perhaps never will.

Yeah, you'd think it'd be up to date, but it's not. The one you linked to is running Android 2.3 -- 4.2 is the current version of Android and is a world away from 2.3. The Qualcomm you linked will almost certainly never see an official update beyond 2.3 and even if you were to hack it to a newer version it would likely be a bumpy road.

pippin
2013-02-02, 09:02
Well the Android link I posted was for a new phone so I would think the software is relatively up to date.

The OS is two years old and you will probably not get updates for it. Most Apps currently still support 2.3 since this is such a common issue with Android devices but 4.x is picking up speed right now since it's just so much better than previous versions.

pippin
2013-02-02, 09:06
All of the those apps are running fine on an old Gingerbread (2.3) phone

To nitpick a bit: SqueezeControl won't.
While it's really nitpicking, especially with Android's notoriously bad vendor support for SW updates I would get something more modern. 4.x looks like it _might_ get somewhat better in this respect.

I have no sim card installed, just use wifi, In fact I'm a bit of an android addict and haven't yet had a phone that won't work without a sim.

That you could activate without a SIM? For my latest one, that I only wanted to use with WiFi, too, I had to get myself a SIM adapter to be able to put my iPhone's SIM into it for activation (Sony).
Same with the Samsung I recently bought for my mother.
IIRC it was similar with HTC but that's a while back.

jimzak
2013-02-03, 06:21
Thank you for your posts. I would never consider spending $250 on a remote for my Touch. I just noticed some Android phones on E Bay going for around $50(http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-Android-2-3-Qualcomm-WiFi-Capacitive-Smart-Phone-w-Google-Play-Store-/390535797066?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item5aedbf594a) which did not seem bad as a Squeezebox remote on the Bay is about $28

A Nexus 7 is so much more than a remote. It's one of the best, if not THE best, 7 inch Android tablet there is with full access to a lot of great apps. You can check the weather, read all the news, read books/magazines, control some A/V hardware, and do stuff for work.

It's a bit expensive for a remote control but it's cheap for all the stuff you can do. And it's made well and has the latest OS.

You will be much more satisfied than using a small phone with an old version of Android that is laggy.

However, once again, I understand it'$ much more expen$ive :)