PDA

View Full Version : Product discontinued - what to do...

pyewackett
2013-01-21, 19:18
I see a lot of people apparently ready to jump ship right away after the announcement. It kind of surprises me. -- I don't see why there seems to be so much hysteria. I'm sad that a nice product won't be continued, but I'm not jumping ship. In fact, I just bought another device. So I'll tell a story... which may put this in perspective for some.

I was (and still am) a big fan of ReplayTVs. They were a precursor of Tivos (and to the end were better, IMHO). The company was started in 1997 and continued production until 2005. In 2011 the company who had the rights decided to discontinue the guide service. There was enough hue and cry that they decided to continue indefinitely. Now it is true that there were "lifetime" contracts in this case and not for squeezebox devices, but still, pressure from the community can force a company to continue services, especially if they are not expensive, which surely the services provided by mysqueezebox.com are.

We only gave up when digital broadcast TV came to pass. ReplayTVs are all analog and it was a lot of trouble to make things work with converter boxes. If we could get cable where we live now we would probably have them still. Obviously some people are still operating their ReplayTVs and we were able to sell ours even very late in the game.

I also own two audiotrons which should still work with music alone but I stopped using them for various reasons and got a Squeezebox. I just checked on their status:

Production stopped in 2004. "Turtle Beach continued to support TurtleRadio until March 2007. After that time, the TurtleRadio website was retired and users had to change the configuration of their AudioTron to use a local file to set the list of radio stations that their AudioTron could stream. In March 2010, Turtle Beach implemented a redirect that allows the AudioTron to be used with the Webstation Radio Database. Similar to the TurtleRadio website, users can create accounts and select their own favorites from thousands of radio stations which will then be available on the AudioTron."

This community seems similar to the ReplayTV one, with lots of people who like the product and are also have a lot of technical expertise. I wouldn't put a lot of money into this system now, but I'm also not jumping ship. OK, I read about the other options, but decided to stay where I am. I'm afraid the trade-offs are similar to the ReplayTV vs Tivo ones -- one is more techy with features that appeal to me, one is "easier to use" but without as much flexibility.

It seems to me there will be no trouble keeping it all working for a few years. By that time maybe something will excite me and I'll be ready to switch. This is an area one would expect some changes... But who knows. Most people don't seem to be interested in products that have more features (because they are too hard to set up?). But we're probably almost insane with music and video flowing around the house from here to there to everywhere including Tivos and a googleTV and squeezeboxes and android phones and, of course, computers.

Judy

erland
2013-01-21, 23:05
It seems to me there will be no trouble keeping it all working for a few years. By that time maybe something will excite me and I'll be ready to switch. This is an area one would expect some changes...

Completely correct, no reason to switch to something else already now, it's a lot better to wait and see what the market comes up with during the next 6-12 months. I'm sure there are several companies which will try to take market shares now when Squeezebox isn't sold by Logitech, some of them will hopefully come up with new revolutionary exiting products, so jumping onto the Sons train already now is a bit too early IMHO.

pressure from the community can force a company to continue services, especially if they are not expensive, which surely the services provided by mysqueezebox.com are.

Honestly, to me it looks like Squeezebox has been more or less mismanaged during the last 2-3 years, maybe longer. Based on this we can stop hoping for Logitech to resurrect the Squeezebox and make some thing good with it, if it happens they will still focus on other things than we want so it will never be the same product it once was.

Logitech, as all large corporations, will base there decisions on economic aspects. The reason they keep mysqueezebox.com alive at the moment is not because of loyalty, it's because of the costs they would get through warranty returns if they shut it down and it's because of the bad publicity it would generate if they shut it down while there are still a lot of users using the Squeezebox products. Based on this, the best way to make mysqueezebox.com survive longer is to continue using it, because as long as a lot of Squeezebox devices are connected to mysqueezebox.com they will have a hard time shutting it down because of the negative publicity it would generate. I believe most Squeezebox users will have moved on to something else in a couple of years and then it will also be easier for Logitech to shutdown mysqueezebox.com. They don't care about the opinions in the community, they care about 100 000 Squeezebox users starting to post bad things about Logitech on twitter/facebook which risk to hurt sales in other areas, this is what they want to avoid so they will keep it running as long as there is a risk this will happen if they shut it down.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with UE Smart Radio, at the moment a lot of users seems to report a lot of problems and the official Logitech support staff really doesn't seem to have a clue how to help them in many cases. I can't imagine it to become a success with so much complains and so high price compared to the functionality it provides. The best thing with UE Smart Radio is probably that it might prolong the life of mysqueezebox.com, because if Logitech would decide to also stop selling UE Smart Radio they probably don't want to maintain two cloud services and then it's eaiser to convert UE Smart Radio devices to use mysqueezebox.com than the other way around, at least if it happens during the next year or so while there are more Squeezebox users than UE Smart Radio users.

servies
2013-01-22, 01:34
Honestly, to me it looks like Squeezebox has been more or less mismanaged during the last 2-3 years, maybe longer. Based on this we can stop hoping for Logitech to resurrect the Squeezebox and make some thing good with it, if it happens they will still focus on other things than we want so it will never be the same product it once was.
I think you're extremely right here (unfortunately)...

It will be interesting to see what will happen with UE Smart Radio, at the moment a lot of users seems to report a lot of problems and the official Logitech support staff really doesn't seem to have a clue how to help them in many cases. I can't imagine it to become a success with so much complains and so high price compared to the functionality it provides. The best thing with UE Smart Radio is probably that it might prolong the life of mysqueezebox.com, because if Logitech would decide to also stop selling UE Smart Radio they probably don't want to maintain two cloud services and then it's eaiser to convert UE Smart Radio devices to use mysqueezebox.com than the other way around, at least if it happens during the next year or so while there are more Squeezebox users than UE Smart Radio users.
My prediction is that it will be a huge failure for Logitech and that they will shut down the UE branch...
I'm wondering who gets blamed...
First the Revue, now Squeezebox and within 2 years the UE branch...