PDA

View Full Version : SB3 spontaneously reboots

ulvi
2013-01-20, 01:26
My 7 year old SB3 started to reboot randomly in the middle of playing a track. Right
now this happens every few minutes during playback, but never when idle.
A Google search appears to show this has been a common problem with SB3s
going back a few years. I tried the standard xilinx/factory resets etc and
also opened it up and tried to reseat the wifi and daughter cards
as per various online suggestions, but these did not help (the card stack appeared
to be firmly in place at any rate, and nothing loose or visibly wrong in the innards
as far as I could tell). Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem that actually works?

Mnyb
2013-01-20, 01:54
My 7 year old SB3 started to reboot randomly in the middle of playing a track. Right
now this happens every few minutes during playback, but never when idle.
A Google search appears to show this has been a common problem with SB3s
going back a few years. I tried the standard xilinx/factory resets etc and
also opened it up and tried to reseat the wifi and daughter cards
as per various online suggestions, but these did not help (the card stack appeared
to be firmly in place at any rate, and nothing loose or visibly wrong in the innards
as far as I could tell). Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem that actually works?

The other possibilities are that power conector is loose wiggle it a bit and see if it reboots or that the power supply is not healty .

Or it could be broken

ulvi
2013-01-20, 01:58
The other possibilities are that power conector is loose wiggle it a bit and see if it reboots or that the power supply is not healty .

Power cord wiggling has no effect.

If power supply issue, wouldn't it reboot while idle then as well?

epoch1970
2013-01-20, 03:08
Power cord wiggling has no effect.

If power supply issue, wouldn't it reboot while idle then as well?

I'm guessing here but probably the wifi card draws more power when active than when idle. I would test with a compatible 5V, 2A PSU.
(I also own an SB3 that won't boot no matter what, so there are other internal failure causes for sure)

toby10
2013-01-20, 04:00
Try removing WiFi card completely, try it wired only to test it.