PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Classic - Right channel output has almost no volume

wolfzell
2013-01-13, 11:07
Hi,

at first I thought that my amplifier or my boxes were defect, but after exchanging every component except the Squeezebox itself, I came to the conclusion that the problem is in fact the Classic itself. The right channel has almost no volume anymore compared to the left channel which works fine.

Could that be a software problem or do I need to start up my soldering iron? If so, what can I do? Is there a exchangable chip like an OP-amp that is known to be the cause? Well, I guess I'll start with opening the case and have a look, but if anybody had the same problem and has got some advice, I would be thankful.

tcutting
2013-01-13, 11:22
I've heard of output coupling capacitors failing on SB3/classics. I'll try to link you to related thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84395

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wolfzell
2013-01-13, 11:58
YEEHAW!!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Exchanged C16 and C20 five minutes ago and now the Classic is playing again like new.

Thank you sooooo much!!!

walkie74
2013-02-27, 19:04
My Squeezebox Classic is having the same issue. I'm looking at the schematic for the SB2, but I don't see C16 or C20. Wolfzell, where did you find them? And I'm guessing you had to do some soldering to get them to work? If so, what did you use? (I'm totally new at this electronic repair thing, but if it'll save my Squeezebox, I'll do it. )

wolfzell
2013-03-02, 06:12
Sorry, I haven't been around for a few days...

The two capacitors are clearly marked as C16 and C20 right by the silkscreeen print on the circuit board, so you don't even need to look at the schematic.

And yes, soldering needs to be done. And it isn't quite trivial as the capacitors are SMD devices, so it is easy to do collateral damage if you don't have the right tools and the experience. So if you never soldered any SMD before, I recommend looking for someone to help you.

walkie74
2013-03-03, 15:56
Thanks for your help, wolfzell. I'll get a friend to help me out. So you just switched C16 and C20?

wolfzell
2013-03-09, 02:00
Well, I very carefully removed the old SMD capacitors and then I soldered new "standard" capacitors (that I had in stock) to the SMD soldering pads. Didn't have any SMD caps around and the standard ones were less fiddly to solder in after shortening and shaping their wires accordingly. Now it doesn't "look" quite as good as with the original caps, but seriously, who cares about the look of a repaired circuit board in a closed device as long as it works and sounds perfectly again...

cca651
2013-03-11, 09:43
Well, I very carefully removed the old SMD capacitors and then I soldered new "standard" capacitors (that I had in stock) to the SMD soldering pads. Didn't have any SMD caps around and the standard ones were less fiddly to solder in after shortening and shaping their wires accordingly. Now it doesn't "look" quite as good as with the original caps, but seriously, who cares about the look of a repaired circuit board in a closed device as long as it works and sounds perfectly again...

Would anybody be willing to perform this fix for me? - I'm willing to pay, of course. I just purchased a Classic on eBay and the left channel (both speaker and headphone) don't work so I believe it is this same issue. The seller refunded my money and let me keep the device so I'm way out ahead if I can get someone to get it running for me. I'm in the U.S. and I apologize if this is an improper request for this forum. Craig

ebin
2013-03-16, 15:05
Put me on the list if you find someone to repair these babies.

Got 3 working and one on disabled list, might have to
resurrect my Duet and buy a battery for controller

If anyone cares to offer repair services for some of us die-hards
you will be respected as a SqueezeGod :-)

Cheers