PDA

View Full Version : Question on how the artist tag is shown in client

bengaldave
2013-01-10, 14:17
Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question

It seems that the artists folder shows either the track artist or the album artist, but not both, and ignores an album, when the album artist is various.

So, for example, the album smithsonian folkways childrens music collection, each track has an artist, for example, woody guthrie, and the album artist is various.

Under the artist folder in the squeezebox folder, there is no entry for woody guthrie, and the album does not show under various.

So you cannot get to this album through the artist folder.

In iTunes, this album would appear under various.

I would like to see an entry under artists for woody guthrie.

In the custom browse for composer, there is an entry for each composer, even if that composer only is listed on 1 song on the album.

Assuming that there is something special about the words various artists, I have another album, St Louis Sounds, Album Artist is Washington University Pep Band, and the artist on one song is Randy Mayfield.

Randy Mayfield is not listed in the artist lists, washington university is.

From another post in this forum:
>>> If you browse _artists_ and you have enabled 'Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist' then you should see both 'Steve Earle' and 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band' in your list of artists. Squeezebox
>>>>>>Server always lists both ALBUMARTISTs and ARTISTs from non-compilations.

This is the behavior I would like, but I do not think I am seeing this.

erland
2013-01-10, 16:45
Do you get what you want if you select the "List compilation albums under each artist" option under LMS Settings/My Music ?

bengaldave
2013-01-10, 18:24
I am not sure what the first four choices mean and do. Do I want TPE2 as band or Album Artist? What behavior changes if I select 1 option over the other?

How does this option interact with the option above it? If I select TPE2 as Album Artist, what happens if I choose the other option, List albums by Band?

It does appear that in the artists view any album who has an artist listed as "Various Artists" are hidden, unless..

Setting this option

"When compilation albums are grouped together, they appear under "Various Artists" by default. You can change that name below."

Unhides those albums.

Bug: it looks when anything is typed in, compilation albums are hidden and not shown under the typed in word above.

The option
"List compilation albums under each artist"
Does seem to cause the artists to show, but only if the compilation flag is set.

I have been removing the compilation flag, maybe I shouldn't be?

erland
2013-01-10, 23:42
I think what you are seeing is related to this bug:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9523

There are a lot of comments in there but I believe that you will find some workarounds if you analyzes them a bit.

Generally
The general rule is that ARTIST tags on individual songs aren't shown in the artist list if there is an ALBUMARTIST tag, the exception is if the album has been detected to be a compilation and you have "List compilation albums under each artist" option selected.

If you like to display BAND, COMPOSER, CONDUCTOR, you just check the checkboxes for these roles in LMS Settings/My Music, just note that BAND is only treated as band if you have "Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Band" enabled.

As I've understood the settings:

"Group compilation albums together ":
Will create the "Various Artists" menu entry at the top of them and group all albums which are detected as compilations inside it and not show their individual artists in the list. The compilation detection is a bit complex but the general rule is that an album is compilation if:
- it doesn't have an ALBUMARTIST tag and have multiple different ARTIST tags on the songs of the album
or
- it have a COMPILATION=1 tag
So this setting basically results in that individual artists on compilations aren't shown in the main artist list.
Just setting ALBUMARTIST="Various Artists" tag will cause the above detection to detect it as a normal album (not compilation), so if you want it to be handled as a compilation you either need to remove the ALBUMARTIST tag or set COMPILATION=1 tag.
The purpose of this setting is to avoid filling the My Music/Artists lists with artist which only appears on compilation albums.

"List compilation albums under each artist"
Will not create the virtual "Various Artists" entry unless it's also used in ALBUMARTIST tag, it will instead show each individual artist available on individual songs on compilation albums will be shown in the artist list. As you already have seen I think it only affects compilation albums. Again, note that having "ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists" does NOT mean that the album is detected as a compilation.
The purpose of this setting is to show all artists on compilation albums in My Music/Artists list

"Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist"
Causes the MP3 BAND tag to be treated the same as an ALBUMARTIST tag, this setting was introduced to solve a confusing behavior in some tagging softwares like Mp3Tag which displays the BAND tag with the name "Album Artist" so some users believed it would be treated as ALBUMARTIST also in LMS. So this settings was introduced to make LMS really treat it the same as ALBUMARTIST.

"Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Band"
Causes MP3 BAND tag to be treated as BAND.

I know it's confusing and a bit complex and but I don't have the time to provide a more structured description than this at the moment, but hopefully the above will give you enough clues to sort it out.

bengaldave
2013-01-11, 01:34
Thanks, your explanation helps!

bengaldave
2013-01-11, 05:42
One more question:

This option

List albums by all artists for that album
Or
List albums by band

My files are apple lossless, I generally try and set album artist.

Does this option do anything in this specific case, when there is no band?

Also, is the apple lossless field album artist considered tpe2 or is that tag only used for MP3?

Some listings show this tag as
aArt

erland
2013-01-11, 10:04
One more question:

This option

List albums by all artists for that album
Or
List albums by band

My files are apple lossless, I generally try and set album artist.

Does this option do anything in this specific case, when there is no band?

Not sure, the easiest is probably that you try since you are the one who easiest can verify how it works with your files.

Also, is the apple lossless field album artist considered tpe2 or is that tag only used for MP3?

Some listings show this tag as
aArt

I think TPE2 is only for MP3, Apple Lossless uses a separate tagging scheme so I don't think the "Treat TPE2..." options have any effect on Apple Lossless files.