PDA

View Full Version : Newbie silly questions about LMS

bibble_235
2013-01-08, 01:11
What I wanted
A searchable library for my MP3s which can be played on various PC's and phones.

Environment
I have installed logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb on mint 14

Issue
1/ I cannot play through the Web GUI or create playlists. I think this is because the server does not have a sound card but not sure
2/ I cannot lists players on squeezedroid. Guessing that no players on the server is the cause.

Have a largish collection and just want one central place to create/manage music. Ideally on my server which is headless

Thanks,

w3wilkes
2013-01-08, 08:47
Do you have any Squeezebox hardware players or did you install any software players? LMS by itself does not have a play capability. To play music on a PC you would need to install something like SqueezePlay or SoftSqueeze to play music from LMS. This is also true to play music on the computer you have LMS installed on, and of course you'll need a sound card.

garym
2013-01-08, 11:54
Do you have any Squeezebox hardware players or did you install any software players? LMS by itself does not have a play capability. To play music on a PC you would need to install something like SqueezePlay or SoftSqueeze to play music from LMS. This is also true to play music on the computer you have LMS installed on, and of course you'll need a sound card.

above is correct and important (LMS is the server software NOT player software). Since you run Linux, you might want squeezelite as a player. See here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97046-Announce-Squeezelite-a-small-headless-squeezeplay-emulator-for-linux-%28alsa-only%29&highlight=squeezelite

and regarding your overall objective. Yes, this is easily done with squeezeboxes and LMS. I have about 70,000 tracks (and will have 200k plus when done ripping) of mostly FLAC files. All stored in a single headless server in a back cabinet connected to my router via ethernet. I can serve music from this headless server to Squeezebox players in various parts of my house. Some of these players have their own amp/speakers (radio, boom) and are used as bedside radios, etc. Some of the players are connected to Stereos (amp/preamp) or Home Theatre equipment. I can play the same thing at the same time to all these players (perfect sync) or I can play different things to different players at the same time....all from the single source of the music files on my server. my headless server runs 24/7.

I can control all of this from my laptop using the LMS webGUI, my laptop using Squeezeplay (were I can also play music on my laptop from the server), from an app on my iPAD or an app on my iphone. There are android apps as well.

In addition to my own music, I can play internet radio and services such as Pandora, MOG, Spotify, siriusXM, etc.

edit: and the reason you can't add anything to playlist is that you must have a PLAYER selected first (as playlists are unique to a player), and as noted earlier, you haven't yet setup a hardware or software player.

banned for life
2013-01-08, 21:19
What I wanted
A searchable library for my MP3s which can be played on various PC's and phones.

Environment
I have installed logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb on mint 14

Issue
1/ I cannot play through the Web GUI or create playlists. I think this is because the server does not have a sound card but not sure
2/ I cannot lists players on squeezedroid. Guessing that no players on the server is the cause.

Have a largish collection and just want one central place to create/manage music. Ideally on my server which is headless

Thanks,

there are 2 parts.

1 is the server.

the server knows where the music is and what music is there

2 is the player.

the player listens to the server and makes the sound(s) you can hear

additionally:

the "controller" tells the player what to play
more than one player can play the same thing at the same time or any other player can play it's own selection

there are a lot of controllers:

web- this is built in and lives (on the "server box") at localhost:9000 (just key this into your web browser's address line localhost:9000)

bfl

bert1e
2013-01-15, 07:35
If you have no squeezeboxes maybe you could consider installing subsonic on your linux machine