PDA

View Full Version : Another high end, wireless music option: B&O A9

jimzak
2012-12-26, 18:03
http://www.beoplay.com/Products/BeoplayA9?utm_source=bang-olufsen.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Bang-Olufsen.com%2BProduct%2BPage&utm_term=Learn%2Bmore&utm_content=BeoPlay%2BA9%2B%3A%2BAll#at-a-glance

carp
2012-12-27, 02:58
Streaming through Apple Airplay or DLNA. Is gapless playback possible with these "standards"?

Craig
2012-12-27, 05:05
1699!!! is it April fools day already?

Jokke
2012-12-27, 07:40
Not high end, but definitely overpriced.
Not what i'm looking for...

kidstypike
2012-12-27, 09:10
I can just imagine the wife's face if I staggered in with one of them rascals !!

Nick_G
2012-12-27, 10:12
I've never tried any B&O equipment but this ad combined with the ridiculous price confirms what I have heard about them: a triumph of style over substance.

Craig
2012-12-27, 10:54
Well in the olden days their CD players were just Phillips models in flash cases.

Craig

bhaagensen
2012-12-28, 03:04
a triumph of style over substance.

Jeez, I don't get you guys here. B&Os style is (part of) its substance. If its not your cup of tea, move on! If its some kind of ideological or political or other issue, I suggest you take it in a forum where such topics are discussed.

erland
2012-12-28, 03:32
If you want unique design it's going to cost money, there is nothing strange about that and B&O has always been focused at producing devices with unique design. With B&O you primarily pay for the unique design and probably the price makes it possible for them to base it on high quality components.

However, I think it's important to remember to also look at the software. There are a lot of different low and high-end streamers on the market, but the problem on most of them is that the software is completely ignored. Some relies on DLNA and leave it up to the customer to try to combine different components from different manufactures and get them to work together, usually you end up with a very basic setup (from a feature perspective) or a setup with a lot of reliability problems. Other rely on AirPlay which more or less assumes that your music files either are small enough to be stored on the limited storage space on a mobile device (typically in lossy format) or that it's streamed from online sources, neither is a good solution if you are looking for a high-end solution.

Another problem is that many manufacturers tend to either focus on low end devices or high end devices but not both, so it's hard to use them if you want a whole house audio system with devices that fits both the main listening room and the kitchen/bedroom/bathroom.

Having said that, I'm sure the B&O system can be an excellent solution if:
- You want a stylish design and is prepared to pay for it
- You are looking for a solution for a a single room
- You want a solution with a built-in speaker

Nick_G
2012-12-28, 11:40
Jeez, I don't get you guys here. B&Os style is (part of) its substance. If its not your cup of tea, move on! If its some kind of ideological or political or other issue, I suggest you take it in a forum where such topics are discussed.

Fair enough. I'm more concerned with performance and ease-of-use than what something looks like, so what I'm looking for may be different to your or others preferences.

Recoveryone
2012-12-28, 12:14
I would not call it Highend from an audio stand point, but maybe from an artsy design and inovation in how it works.

bhaagensen
2012-12-28, 12:33
I would not call it Highend from an audio stand point, .

:) back to the ol' definition... From what I understand its a fine design. Actively driven with digital x-overs, powerful class D-amp and good driver specs. I wouldnt diregard it bearing in mind its inherent limitations.

And no - B&O is not my cup of tea either, but I have no problems seeing its qualities and while it isnt the top of the pops in fidelity, they certainly have made good-sounding systems.

Mnyb
2012-12-28, 12:43
Yeah and we are moving back towards mono again the general public have probably completely forgotten that stereo is not just sound out of 2 speakers and current recordings practices does not make it very obvious either ...

hence deluxe system in one box , buy any other dlna type of streamer and a pair of active speakers :)

Or why not these http://www.audiopro.com/node/458 if ultimate fidelity is not the goal but airplay and other stuff .