PDA

View Full Version : Pandora Streaming problems

MTU
2012-12-17, 23:02
Since the weekend I have been having issues keeping Pandora streaming on my squeezeboxen. After about an hour I receive the message the system cannot receive the info for the next track and all my devices either display "PANDORA_" or go into standby.
As a test I opened Pandora on my tablet and it ran flawlessly for ~four hours.
I have not knowingly upgraded/changed any system settings. I have tried cycling the power on my cable modem and router and rebooting LMS; no change.
System specs:
SB Touch
Three SB Booms
Windows 7 on Intel i7
LMS 7.7.2 -r33893 (installed 3/14/12)
D-Link DIR-655 ROUTER

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mike U.

azinck3
2012-12-18, 06:03
I can't help but can commiserate. I've been having the same problem. It's worse when I have multiple SBs synced.

It seems pretty intermittent. Sometimes I can go for hours without trouble, other times just a track or two.

bobharp
2012-12-18, 10:03
Same woes for me. With the same display error.

bobharp
2012-12-18, 10:21
I sent Pandora an email with a link to this thread.

jmarose
2012-12-18, 10:52
Same issue here. I cannot play Pandora for very long. Sometimes a few songs, other times almost an hour. Rarely can I play as long as an hour though. I've been testing this issue for a while now, as this is a critical issue for me. Here's what I've gathered so far:

- The issue occurs at the end of a song. So, when a song ends, the next one doesn't start playing.
- The issue is independent of the player type, as it happens on Duet, Touch, SoftSqueeze, and SqueezePlay.
- Pandora continues to stream on pandora.com and via Sonos. In other words, it seems to be related only to Squeezebox and Pandora. Something must have change on the Pandora side that doesn't play nice with how Squeezebox uses it.
- This has been happening for at least few weeks now, although I'm not sure exactly when it started.
- Independent of the station, as I've tried many.
- The Squeezebox players don't fail/stop at the same time. In other words, if I have many players playing different Pandora stations at the same time, they all will stop playing at different times, independent of the other.
- Tested on multiple different networks to rule out networking issue.
- I have a paid Pandora account btw.

Also, I've noticed that the skip track button doesn't work anymore (or at least not reliably). Sometimes it works, sometimes it's really slow to get to the next song; sometimes I see "Fetching track details..." for a while; I've also seen "Unable to retrieve next track, press PLAY to tray again."

Help! This is a critical, critical issue!

Thanks.

MTU
2012-12-18, 19:56
Same issue here. I cannot play Pandora for very long. Sometimes a few songs, other times almost an hour. Rarely can I play as long as an hour though. I've been testing this issue for a while now, as this is a critical issue for me. Here's what I've gathered so far:

- The issue occurs at the end of a song. So, when a song ends, the next one doesn't start playing.
- The issue is independent of the player type, as it happens on Duet, Touch, SoftSqueeze, and SqueezePlay.
- Pandora continues to stream on pandora.com and via Sonos. In other words, it seems to be related only to Squeezebox and Pandora. Something must have change on the Pandora side that doesn't play nice with how Squeezebox uses it.
- This has been happening for at least few weeks now, although I'm not sure exactly when it started.
- Independent of the station, as I've tried many.
- The Squeezebox players don't fail/stop at the same time. In other words, if I have many players playing different Pandora stations at the same time, they all will stop playing at different times, independent of the other.
- Tested on multiple different networks to rule out networking issue.
- I have a paid Pandora account btw.

Also, I've noticed that the skip track button doesn't work anymore (or at least not reliably). Sometimes it works, sometimes it's really slow to get to the next song; sometimes I see "Fetching track details..." for a while; I've also seen "Unable to retrieve next track, press PLAY to tray again."

Help! This is a critical, critical issue!

Thanks.

What you describe above is exactly my experience. I recently had an update to the Pandora App for my Android. Could it be Logitech needs to match any changes in the service with an update on their end? I see this as a fair test of their commitment to the Squeezebox.

I'm off to Logitech tech support!
Mike U.

oldfolkie
2012-12-18, 21:55
Same problem here. I've noticed that occasionally there is a brief error message. The couple times that I've caught it, the error message says something like, "504 Gateway Timeout".

clixby
2012-12-18, 22:13
I posted this over on the logitech forums as well... I'm having the same problem.

I've done some traffic analysis on my LAN to try to figure out what's going on here. The squeezebox endpoints have two conversations going on.. one transaction that stays constant back to the LMS server, and another connection out to Pandora. The pandora connection is not persistent, and makes a new request for each song. The content of the control messages back and forth between the LMS and the receiver are not obvious. I checked the logs of the LMS, but nothing seems too terribly out of the ordinary.

Then I checked the communication on the LMS itself. It appears that there are constant control messages between the LMS and mysqueezebox.com. There seems to be sync messages going on quite frequently (between 15-30 seconds by my small sample size). But this is also where the LMS gets the next Pandora track. It uses HTTP to get the information from mysqueezebox, and must relay the pandora URL to the squeezebox device on the LAN. Usually the GETs from the LMS are fine, but I was able to correlate a problem with this response from mysqueezebox.com:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out
Server: nginx/1.2.5
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 03:52:57 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 182
Connection: close

<html>
<head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx/1.2.5</center>
</body>
</html>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

I had previously been under the impression that the gateway timeout error was a local problem, which is why I've torn my network apart trying to figure out why the squeezeboxes couldn't reach the gateway. But it's actually a valid reply from the server saying that the mysqeezebox.com server couldn't reach the gateway. I was not able to reproduce the 'PANDORA_' error I routinely get while listening (Murphy's law at work again), but I'm quite sure if I did I'd get an similar error reporting back from the http GET from my LMS.

I'll confirm and report back. The trouble is, since it's a problem "in the cloud", I don't know that I'll be able to do anything. It's also extremely odd to me that some people see this much more frequent than others. Hopefully someone from logitech can shed some light on the issue.

MTU
2012-12-18, 23:35
I have been using the live input plugin to stream a Pandora feed from a desktop across the Squeezebox network. For remote control I'm using Team Viewer to control the Pandora Desktop App from my tablet. While not the most elegant solution, it works!!!

BTW thanks Clixby for your work!

Mike U

clixby
2012-12-19, 05:34
I just got the dreaded "PANDORA_", and here is the response back from the mysqueezebox.com server:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out
Server: nginx/1.2.5
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:25:30 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 182
Connection: close

<html>
<head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx/1.2.5</center>
</body>
</html>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're going to need some help from logitech on this one I think.

jimbrandon
2012-12-19, 08:18
And I thought it was just me...

Jonvw
2012-12-19, 08:42
I suspect this is happening to the UE Smart Radio service too, based on this thread in the Logitech UE forum. http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-UE/UE-Smart-Radio-stops-playing/td-p/932322

joeriz
2012-12-19, 10:35
And I thought it was just me...

Ditto...same issue with Pandora here.

jimbrandon
2012-12-19, 15:15
I flushed DNS cache on my LMS machine early this morning and Pandora has remained connected all day. Command line is ipconfig /flushdns

Give it a try to see if will help. Before Pandora would not stay connected for more than 3-4 tracks, after over 8 hours no disconnects.

pbroughton
2012-12-19, 18:28
but I don't use LMS, so it's sb.com that might be generating my problem.....

azinck3
2012-12-19, 22:18
but I don't use LMS, so it's sb.com that might be generating my problem.....

It's mysb.com generating everyone's problem. Even if you use LMS it relies on mysb.com for some aspects of the Pandora functionality. Clixby's diagnostics point pretty squarely at mysb.com being the problem.

Also, in the last couple days people have been complaining of Slacker and MOG issues that sound quite similar to this one. I wouldn't be surprised if all the problems are related and can be traced to an issue on mysb.com

garym
2012-12-20, 05:30
It's mysb.com generating everyone's problem. Even if you use LMS it relies on mysb.com for some aspects of the Pandora functionality. Clixby's diagnostics point pretty squarely at mysb.com being the problem.

Also, in the last couple days people have been complaining of Slacker and MOG issues that sound quite similar to this one. I wouldn't be surprised if all the problems are related and can be traced to an issue on mysb.com

as i've reported elsewhere (and at least one other person has also reported), MOG seems to have started working properly. So if problems are connected, maybe pandora is working now too?

clixby
2012-12-20, 06:50
It occurs to me that there seems to be no error handling in the LMS code at all. LMS expects to get the track information back from mysb.com, and when it doesn't, it just fails. If it knew enough to look for the 502 errors and try again instead of just silently failing, we'd be in business. Is LMS still entirely written in perl? If so, we should be able to modify whichever module fetches the next track from mysb.com to try again when getting that error.

I'll see if I can sort through the source code tonight for the specific module that does the get.

garym
2012-12-20, 06:52
It occurs to me that there seems to be no error handling in the LMS code at all. LMS expects to get the track information back from mysb.com, and when it doesn't, it just fails. If it knew enough to look for the 502 errors and try again instead of just silently failing, we'd be in business. Is LMS still entirely written in perl? If so, we should be able to modify whichever module fetches the next track from mysb.com to try again when getting that error.

I'll see if I can sort through the source code tonight for the specific module that does the get.

that makes sense for the MOG problem I've been seeing as well. Times out.... Maybe it is simply a congested server on the MOG end, but the LMS error handling just causes failure....

jmarose
2012-12-20, 07:21

That would be awesome! Yeah, seems to be much more stable now. Was able to stream Pandora overnight on 4 different players, and only 1 of them stopped after a while. I'm testing Slacker again now, and it's been playing continuously for a couple of hours.

But I agree, this is a bit scary that LMS doesn't recover from issues like this, as we're at the mercy of mysb.com having issues like this in the future.

MTU
2012-12-20, 10:20
I flushed DNS cache on my LMS machine early this morning and Pandora has remained connected all day. Command line is ipconfig /flushdns

Give it a try to see if will help. Before Pandora would not stay connected for more than 3-4 tracks, after over 8 hours no disconnects.

I have been stream Pandora for over twelve hours now. No problems. I did flush the DNS cache last night but due to the most recent posts I'm not sure if that had any effect.

Mike U

clixby
2012-12-20, 20:35
yeah, it seems I'm back too. I've been streaming for a few hours now without an issue. Looks like it might be fixed.

I still think some error-checking in the code would be helpful, but the immediate need is gone.