PDA

View Full Version : heard on the grapevine: replacement for Squeezebox Touch

khewa
2012-12-17, 22:19
not sure if this is true, but there is talk that there is a replacement coming up for the Squeezebox Touch, called the Touch Advance. Anyone heard about this ?

erland
2012-12-17, 22:35
not sure if this is true, but there is talk that there is a replacement coming up for the Squeezebox Touch, called the Touch Advance. Anyone heard about this ?

If you want to spread rumors, at least post links to where you have seen them posted.

Ikabob
2012-12-18, 03:12

This would be a step in the right direction for LOGITECH's Internet product line.
Where did this come from?
A friend of mine would like a music system such as mine and I have no where to refer them. A LOGITECH Advance Touch would give an option.

pippin
2012-12-18, 03:23
Does "Advance" mean "with less functionality, because that's what we found out, is what our users want"?

jimzak
2012-12-18, 04:49
Does "Advance" mean "with less functionality, because that's what we found out, is what our users want"?

Well said.

bonze
2012-12-18, 04:54
There's been "talk" of a replacement for the Touch ever since the Touch first appeared.
And I'd have thought anything new would be branded with the rest of the range - i.e. Touch UE.

Do you have a link?

ModelCitizen
2012-12-18, 05:02
I can't imagine that there's anything in this (note that the OP has not revealed any sources). A Touch has a local server which does not seem to fit with Logitech's current direction and in this age of hand held controllers a touch screen device tied to an amp/speakers by wires seems like even more of a misnomer than it did when it was released.

pippin
2012-12-18, 05:19
Disclaimer: I don't know anything and I'm wildly guessing here.

That said: I'm not so convinced the local server would not fit the UE architecture.
First of all, it doesn't make sense to do all this new Smart Radio stuff and infrastructure just to re-brand the Radio so I'd think there has to be a broader plan.
Second: since in the UE architecture the server doesn't have to control the device, it becomes a less critical component and since you don't have to switch servers, it would be much easier to use a tiny server like the Touch has it.
When they originally developed the Touch I was convinced (and wrote a dozen change requests or so to that extent) that a more source-independent architecture as the UE Smart Radio has it would be a necessary precondition to make the embedded server work and I still believe I was right, although I would not do it like the UE platform does.

maggior
2012-12-18, 06:47
A replacement of the touch would be nice, but I have a feeling that a replacement for the Boom would have a wider appeal and would be higher up on Logitech's priority list. The Boom replacement I envision would be the UE Radio with 2 speakers.

It would be great if in the future they could remove the dependency on the server "in the cloud" to play local music.

Who knows what the future holds. Perhaps something will be announced at CES this January?

nelamvr6
2012-12-18, 07:03
Meh.

If it happens, it happens.

But I have discovered in the last few days that there are plenty of devices out there that can perform the Touch's function if UE doesn't release a new product.

Right now, my Touch is working perfectly. Since there are no moving parts, I don't have any reason to fear its eminent demise. But if it does up and die, I'd really have to think long and hard about giving Logitech any more of my money, no matter what products they have available at that time.

castalla
2012-12-18, 07:20

It's a cooker!!!!

http://www.fussioncook.com/blog/11/18/nuevo-modelo-touch-advance

maggior
2012-12-18, 07:51
Meh.

If it happens, it happens.

But I have discovered in the last few days that there are plenty of devices out there that can perform the Touch's function if UE doesn't release a new product.

Right now, my Touch is working perfectly. Since there are no moving parts, I don't have any reason to fear its eminent demise. But if it does up and die, I'd really have to think long and hard about giving Logitech any more of my money, no matter what products they have available at that time.

Though I'd find it interesting if Logitech would continue things forward with the squeezebox under the UE moniker, I share your sentiment. I didn't let myself get caught up in stocking up on spares when the Touch price fell through the floor during the fire sale. I did bite on a cheap SB Radio, but that was because my wife needed an alarm clock and wanted something kind of fancy. I'm done throwing money Logitech's way.

As my squeezeboxes die or just become irrelevant over time, I will probably look elsewhere for a whole home audio solution. By then, who knows what technology will be available.

khewa
2012-12-20, 09:39
I'm afraid I don't have any links to share. I got this the old fashion way, face to face discussion with a Logitech reseller.
On another note, I read that DTS bought over Phorus, a company that developed a technology to stream music from Android phones via wifi. DTS has marketed this IP as a standard called Play Fi. It is currently working with audio manufacturers to put Play Fi into their products.
If Logitech had done this with their Squeezebox IP, we would not be where we are today. Case of poor business strategy.

khewa
2012-12-20, 09:51
Though I'd find it interesting if Logitech would continue things forward with the squeezebox under the UE moniker, I share your sentiment. I didn't let myself get caught up in stocking up on spares when the Touch price fell through the floor during the fire sale. I did bite on a cheap SB Radio, but that was because my wife needed an alarm clock and wanted something kind of fancy. I'm done throwing money Logitech's way.

As my squeezeboxes die or just become irrelevant over time, I will probably look elsewhere for a whole home audio solution. By then, who knows what technology will be available.

I see the trend going towards Network Media Players, ie. streaming of audio video content through either network or wifi. Put smartphones in the mix and you can stream your digital content from smartphones, tablets, NAS, USB Drives, servers.
The Popcorn Hour A400 network media player can play video as well as flac files. It is headless, so it has an android / ios app to give it a a much richer experience in navigating around your digital content. The smartphone is a much better remote than any universal remote out there. All Popcorn Hour needs is a better DAC in there and it will give squeezebox touch a run for it's money. If they add in Play Fi functionality, it will be icing on the cake.

amey01
2012-12-20, 15:39
that there are plenty of devices out there that can perform the Touch's

What devices? I'm yet to find one.

nelamvr6
2012-12-20, 18:45
What devices? I'm yet to find one.

Cambridge Audio has 2, the Stream Magic 6 and the NP-30

Denon has the DNP720AE

Olive has several units that will work just fine.

And that's not even counting home brewed units using Raspnerry Pis...

jimzak
2012-12-21, 04:20

Denon has the DNP720AE

He probably meant with all the capabilities and flexibility of the Touch. It is a tall order.

garym
2012-12-21, 05:20

Denon has the DNP720AE

some of these use DLNA/upnp, which won't handle gapless and can't be perfectly synched across multiple players.

Morbeas
2012-12-21, 08:34
Even the $500 Denon DNP720AE does not have an HDMI out? How the hell are we supposed to play our 5.1 FLAC files? :(

amey01
2012-12-21, 23:13
He probably meant with all the capabilities and flexibility of the Touch. It is a tall order.

Yes I did. But even the SB3, those you listed aren't even close. The Cambridge is probably the closest, but it doesn't have a wide variety of control options, and you can't mainipulate the database to suit you. Does it even play high rez?

From what I can tell, none of these do - even the Ras Pi is not powerful enough, and doesn't have any form of digital output. Only USB which is no good for me. Since I acquired my Touch, I've been garnering a large collection of 24/96 FLACs.

I take it there is still no alternative to the Squeezebox. Except maybe the Sooloos at 100x the price.

Nick_G
2012-12-22, 01:31
Yes I did. But even the SB3, those you listed aren't even close. The Cambridge is probably the closest, but it doesn't have a wide variety of control options, and you can't mainipulate the database to suit you. Does it even play high rez?

From what I can tell, none of these do - even the Ras Pi is not powerful enough, and doesn't have any form of digital output. Only USB which is no good for me. Since I acquired my Touch, I've been garnering a large collection of 24/96 FLACs.

I take it there is still no alternative to the Squeezebox. Except maybe the Sooloos at 100x the price.

The Stream Magic 6 plays files up to 24/96 but not 24/192:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=952&Title=Specifications

I must admit I am a bit tempted by one even if it is quite expensive. It seems to have a quite comprehensive set of features. I'm keeping a close eye on the Olive One as well as this definitely has real potential.

Regards,
Nick

castalla
2012-12-22, 02:10
The Stream Magic 6 plays files up to 24/96 but not 24/192:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=952&Title=Specifications

I must admit I am a bit tempted by one even if it is quite expensive. It seems to have a quite comprehensive set of features. I'm keeping a close eye on the Olive One as well as this definitely has real potential.

Regards,
Nick

Be careful - the CA unit has had a lot of very negative reviews from users who actually bought one. Ignore the so-called independent HiFi mag reviews.

Nick_G
2012-12-22, 04:19
Be careful - the CA unit has had a lot of very negative reviews from users who actually bought one. Ignore the so-called independent HiFi mag reviews.

Interesting castalla. Do you have any more details or links please? I just checked Amazon and there was just 1 very brief 4-star review.

castalla
2012-12-22, 18:58
Interesting castalla. Do you have any more details or links please? I just checked Amazon and there was just 1 very brief 4-star review.

There's a problem here - one of the first people to buy the CA unit subjected it to very extensive testing & found numerous issues with wifi streaming of music files, as well as issues with the internet radio implementation. He published quite a few reviews on the net ... most have been removed (why, I don't know ...). I think one amazon review is not really very encouraging! And I certainly don't trust those magazine reviews - I've been scammed by them myself - they are mainly rewrites of the manufacturer's press releases!

The same guy who reviewed the CA (and after a battle got his money back!) went on to get a Cocktail Audio x10 which he raved about. It's not like any SB unit but could be a viable alternative - last time I checked it had excellent firmware development support with lots of updates with fixes and new features.

Nick_G
2012-12-23, 01:31
There's a problem here - one of the first people to buy the CA unit subjected it to very extensive testing & found numerous issues with wifi streaming of music files, as well as issues with the internet radio implementation. He published quite a few reviews on the net ... most have been removed (why, I don't know ...). I think one amazon review is not really very encouraging! And I certainly don't trust those magazine reviews - I've been scammed by them myself - they are mainly rewrites of the manufacturer's press releases!

The same guy who reviewed the CA (and after a battle got his money back!) went on to get a Cocktail Audio x10 which he raved about. It's not like any SB unit but could be a viable alternative - last time I checked it had excellent firmware development support with lots of updates with fixes and new features.

Thanks Castalla. That rings a bell actually. I'm sure I read that on one of the hi-fi forums but I'll be damned if I can find it. Was this one of the threads that was deleted? It got very long and convoluted.

I looked up the Cocktail Audio streamer but one review mentioned that the sound quality was nothing special. Perhaps it'll be worth waiting for the Olive One.

Regards,
Nick

nelamvr6
2012-12-23, 04:36
That Cocktail Audio looks interesting...

Jokke
2012-12-23, 05:40
The new YAMAHA CD-N500 seems interesting to me.
It will also sustain streaming services like Spotify, from early next year.

danc27
2012-12-23, 07:21
I hope this happens and they let us upgrade our previous Touches just liked the they are doing with the Radios. I do understand the functionality is not as much with the new system, but it would be worth it to me to be able to buy more pieces and build a system.

CharlieG
2012-12-23, 07:46
That Cocktail Audio looks interesting...

I’ve read four reviews of the Cocktail Audio X10 and all of them mentioned the hard drive noise. One reviewer (Hi-Fi Choice) called it “constant drone from the drive”. I find this unfortunate because this unit is designed to sit next to (or be) your stereo. The same reviewer said the analog outs were “not in the same league as a Squeezebox Touch” (the device does have digital outs though). I used to think I wanted an all in one (rip, store, play) solution, but have come to realize the short comings with it. None of the reviews I read said anything about multi-room capability (although that does not necessarily mean it’s not there).

Reading about these streaming devices makes me appreciate Squeezebox even more.

I hope this happens and they let us upgrade our previous Touches just liked the they are doing with the Radios. I do understand the functionality is not as much with the new system, but it would be worth it to me to be able to buy more pieces and build a system.

At this time I have no desire to “upgrade” any of my Squeezebox devices to UE. Having to use “the cloud” to access my local files seems weird to me, and I only listen to my local music.
I do however think UE might be a good solution for people who only listen to internet radio.

dyohn
2012-12-25, 13:26
Well, my old favorite SB3 just started its death throes today (failure to stay connected to the same wifi network it has always used with 100% stability, repeated reboots, unacceptable interruptions to every music stream) so I am suddenly in the market for a replacement. I can use my AppleTV, but then I have to keep iTunes running somewhere and I am stuck with the Apple HDMI audio. Anyone make a player that can use the Logitech Media Server with certainty?

Mnyb
2012-12-25, 13:45
Well, my old favorite SB3 just started its death throes today (failure to stay connected to the same wifi network it has always used with 100% stability, repeated reboots, unacceptable interruptions to every music stream) so I am suddenly in the market for a replacement. I can use my AppleTV, but then I have to keep iTunes running somewhere and I am stuck with the Apple HDMI audio. Anyone make a player that can use the Logitech Media Server with certainty?

It's not simply the wifi card that is broken ,you might revive your SB3 as an Ethernet only player by removing the wifi card , you migth still use wifi via some access point with Ethernet out or powerline adapters ?

garym
2012-12-25, 13:52

iPhone or iTouch or iPad running ipeng. Cheap net book running squeezeplay. But I'd just find a used or new touch on ebay or something.

dyohn
2012-12-25, 14:48
It's not simply the wifi card that is broken ,you might revive your SB3 as an Ethernet only player by removing the wifi card , you migth still use wifi via some access point with Ethernet out or powerline adapters ?

Yea, I tried that, connecting the SB3 to the router using Ethernet, but it still refuses to stay connected to the LMS. Sigh. Oh well, I bought this unit the week Slim Devices released it, so what is that almost ten years? With nearly daily use, it's been very reliable.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2012-12-25, 15:57
I would not be interested in buying another Logitech product after their decision to discontinue the Touch .

The one thing I've noticed about this company is the life cycle of many of their products is short .

Gadgety1
2012-12-25, 17:16
Rumors, rumors, rumors. I just know I read the powerpoint presentation made by Logitech where it was clear they were going to go small box, cheap end, simplify, sort of the Apple way, no need for tech knowledge whatsoever because that's where the growth is. I can't remember whether they mentioned UE at the time, but I'm sure they just measured the brand name traction, and went with the strongest. With the success of Spotify, and software makers increasingly going into online subscribition models, the writing was on the wall.

I never even got round to buying a Touch, and as supplies dry up, prices are rising. So what would I get instead? I would only get a piece of hardware if I could get a 24/96 digital out, either AES/EBU or SPDIF. Hook it up to my Tact digital amps.

I wonder why shouldn't I just get a mini ITX motherboard with built in wireless, a SPDIF header, or even SPDIF digital out, get a Lundahl transformer, a PSU, some memory, some SSD, (or even remotely access a hdd server) and then feed that directly to my Tacts? Could run the Squeeze software on that as well, for that bit perfect, low jitter, gapless playback, no? Hardware cost will be higher (but not by much unless I get a really fancy box), take more watts, but it's more flexible, could still be fanless, could do movies too, with XBMC or some other software.

I'll miss those live recordings from the Squeezebox the most.

SlimChances
2012-12-25, 17:17
I would not be interested in buying another Logitech product after their decision to discontinue the Touch .

The one thing I've noticed about this company is the life cycle of many of their products is short .

I haven't noticed that with any of my Squeezebox products. I have both Slimdevice and Logitech players that have never failed over many years. I am not sure about other Logitech products because the only thing I have is an MX mouse but that too is several years old and was quite inexpensive to buy in the first place and is working fine

Slimdevices: SB1 & SB2
Logitech: Classic( few Years old) and Touch( less than year old) and Boom (several years old)

jhonsberger@msn.com
2012-12-25, 18:58
I haven't noticed that with any of my Squeezebox products. I have both Slimdevice and Logitech players that have never failed over many years. I am not sure about other Logitech products because the only thing I have is an MX mouse but that too is several years old and was quite inexpensive to buy in the first place and is working fine

Slimdevices: SB1 & SB2
Logitech: Classic( few Years old) and Touch( less than year old) and Boom (several years old)

When I'm talking about life cycle I'm not talking about how long the product will last but how long Logitech
will keep making them .

erland
2012-12-25, 21:57
When I'm talking about life cycle I'm not talking about how long the product will last but how long Logitech
will keep making them .

Could you give some examples of other companies/products in this market segment in similar price range which you are comparing with ?

Mnyb
2012-12-25, 21:59
Yea, I tried that, connecting the SB3 to the router using Ethernet, but it still refuses to stay connected to the LMS. Sigh. Oh well, I bought this unit the week Slim Devices released it, so what is that almost ten years? With nearly daily use, it's been very reliable.
+1
It seems do have done its work .

I assume that you also checked the PSU and the PSU connector , the PSU connector can cause reboots .

A Touch would be a good replacement , but could be a culture shock if you are used the versatile menu and display customisation of the SB3 or use it blaster and display is not as visible over a distance .
But ime that's irrelevant with today's pads and smartphones who uses the player interface ?

dyohn
2012-12-26, 08:42
+1
It seems do have done its work .

I assume that you also checked the PSU and the PSU connector , the PSU connector can cause reboots .

A Touch would be a good replacement , but could be a culture shock if you are used the versatile menu and display customisation of the SB3 or use it blaster and display is not as visible over a distance .
But ime that's irrelevant with today's pads and smartphones who uses the player interface ?

I will check out the power supply today, thanks. I use the Squeezebox app on an iPad to control it most of the time. The SB3 display is most useful as a digital clock in my rack. :)

dyohn
2012-12-26, 17:03
Well drat. I replaced the power supply with another 5V 2A supply and got the same behavior: SB3 reboots after about 5 minutes connected to the server (running on a Vortexbox.) Same behavior when streaming from an Internet source. Crap.