PDA

View Full Version : Been a member and had my SB Touch for a while now, but couldn't post.

hifidez
2012-12-12, 05:54
Just a 'Hi' really. I have just set up a new membership as I wasn't able to post here with my original account. How do I close my original, but useless, account? Can't find anything to click on... but that's probably just me.

Had my SB Touch for nearly year, I'd guess, and it's my main music source now; I rarely use my CD/SACD/DVDA player these days.

At the server end my music library lives on two 1TB USB drives. One drive is for the active library and the other is for backups (via FreeFileSync).. seems to work well. I have a quad-core Athlon-based PC running Win XP and I can also use my Win 7 Acer laptop if I wish. PC is wired to my router.. and this talks to the SBT wirelessly. I have a fast growing collection of hi-res music files mostly at 24/96 with more and more at 24/196... have not had any problems with wireless streaming of these files; so.. so far so good.

Output from the Touch goes co-ax digital into either a Musical Fidelity X-DACv3 or Cambridge Azur DacMagic (prefer the X-DACv3 actually) then on to a passive 'pre-amp' which in turn feeds my Musical Fidelity A3.2cr power amp. Speakers are by Spendor.. the A5 floorstanders.

Really cannot get over how good the Squeezebox Touch is. Next step? Maybe enable the Touch to output 24/192 data and upgrade my DAC(s) to cope with it?

Regards to all,

Derek

Julf
2012-12-12, 06:33
Next step? Maybe enable the Touch to output 24/192 data and upgrade my DAC(s) to cope with it?

You are unlikely to hear a difference compared to 24/96, so I would spend the money on more music instead.

hifidez
2012-12-12, 06:42
You are unlikely to hear a difference compared to 24/96, so I would spend the money on more music instead.

You are right, of course! But a guy's got to have a hobby :-)

garym
2012-12-12, 06:52
You are right, of course! But a guy's got to have a hobby :-)

Agree with Julf (heck, I'd be shocked if you could ABX 16/44.1 against 24/96 in a double blind test). But regarding hobbies, yes, and the more money they require us to spend the more we like them. ;-)

SBT2010
2012-12-12, 19:51
Agree with Julf (heck, I'd be shocked if you could ABX 16/44.1 against 24/96 in a double blind test). But regarding hobbies, yes, and the more money they require us to spend the more we like them. ;-)

+1

hifidez
2012-12-13, 04:26
I agree, I would not do well in a DBT with 16/44.1 v 24/96. However, in the quest for good sound quality all tiny, incremental improvements add up eventually... so if your source is the best you can achieve / afford then you're off to a good start.

With 24/192 I get a kick out of knowing that what I have could be (or IS, if the publisher is trustworthy) a clone of the studio master. How fortunate are we these days to enjoy that facility?

When tape ruled the world the best you could get would have been a COPY of that master. Now we can potentially have a CLONE, an exact replica of what the producer, band, orchestra, engineer etc. created. That's novel and exiting.

Derek

garym
2012-12-13, 04:46
With 24/192 I get a kick out of knowing that what I have could be (or IS, if the publisher is trustworthy) a clone of the studio master. How fortunate are we these days to enjoy that facility?

My understanding is that one is NOT receiving a "clone" of the studio master in most of these files. And there are many hires files being sold that are simply upconverted (zeros added) from 16/44.1. This said, if the hires files are from a *different* and better mastering (not brickwalled!) than the lowres files, then they are certainly worth having.

Mnyb
2012-12-13, 22:51
On HD Tracks for example a very large quantity of 24/192 are ripped from SACD

Wonder what format they realy master to in studios ?

Julf
2012-12-15, 08:01
Wonder what format they realy master to in studios ?

My understanding is that most of the recordings are done in 24 bit 48 kHz.

Mnyb
2012-12-15, 08:23
My understanding is that most of the recordings are done in 24 bit 48 kHz.

Most likely , any particular file format ,probably something proprietary to their DAW suite ? Or is there an agreed on standard for archiving masters, DAT tapes ?

hifidez
2012-12-17, 03:24
My understanding is that one is NOT receiving a "clone" of the studio master in most of these files. And there are many hires files being sold that are simply upconverted (zeros added) from 16/44.1. This said, if the hires files are from a *different* and better mastering (not brickwalled!) than the lowres files, then they are certainly worth having.

Yes, that's why I worded my post in the way I did. In many cases the files are upsamples. Whenever I buy new hi-res downloads I just have to take a look and see. I use Adobe Audition and one can easily see if it's genuine hi-res or not and I have few titles which are plainly just 44.1KHz or 48kHz originals. Also, ooking at the output of some of my SACDs you can see that the music signal dropping off abruptly above 20k. Bowie's Heathen does this IIRC. The SACD is a waste of the format.

Dez

guidof
2012-12-17, 18:30
When tape ruled the world the best you could get would have been a COPY of that master. Now we can potentially have a CLONE, an exact replica of what the producer, band, orchestra, engineer etc. created. That's novel and exiting.

Derek

I tend to agree with you about the *potential* for HD files to closely reproduce the master. Unfortunately, this novel and exciting possibility does not so easily translate into improved sound quality, as it often merely exacerbates the effect of poor mike placement, inappropriate equalization, excessive compression, and so on. Even when a download site such as iTRAX claims (and hopefully delivers) to offer only files recorded, not remastered, at 24/96, a poorly engineered recording will remain as poor sounding in HD as in 16/44.1, or perhaps will sound worse.

But the potential is there, and I do have a few 24/96 downloads that sound terrific. Also some that sound no better than plain CDs. Without entering the debate of whether one can reliably distinguish between CD and HD, I'll take a well recorded 16/44.1 over a poorly mastered HD any time. Indeed, my own vinyl digitized at 16/48 generally sounds 'better' than some 24/96 downloads I have.

Regards,

Guido F.