PDA

View Full Version : Mini Boombox - audio quality

castalla
2012-12-07, 19:49
Can anyone pass comment on the overall audio quality of the 'old' Mini Boombox?

I'm not expecting audiophile quality - I'm really interested to know how sibilant it is with talk radio streams.

I have a Mi-X mini-speaker which is a bit hissy compared with some cheap iPodish headphones!

Subjectixe, I know, but any comments are welcome! Alternative mini-speakers?

SuperQ
2012-12-07, 23:03
The squeezebox boom audio quality is very good. It has a 2-way stereo pair of really good quality speakers and the matching amplifiers to drive them.

I suggest reading the audio design white paper.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

It's too bad this kind of work is rarely talked about in product marketing.

chill
2012-12-08, 02:51
The squeezebox boom audio quality is very good.

Agreed - exceptionally good for a product of this type, in my experience. It also has built-in bass and treble controls, allowing you tweak the sound according to placement and personal preference.

Many on this forum speak of the good sound quality of the SBR, but I'm afraid it pales alongside the Boom. There were threads about a 'Boom II' wishlist IIRC - something like the Radio with the Boom's stereo drivers and attention to sound quality should have grabbed a huge slice of the market.

castalla
2012-12-08, 03:22
Ooops ... I mean the Mini Boombox SPEAKER not the Boombox player!

Sorry.

Jaca
2012-12-08, 07:15
Ooops ... I mean the Mini Boombox SPEAKER not the Boombox player!

Sorry.

I've got one of Mini Boombox speakers. I have bought it few months ago as holiday companion and it was great buy at 40GBP.
Like you did mention, you can only expect so much from tiny speaker, but this one surprised me positively.
I was even using it as additional bathroom/spareroom Squeezebox Player (paired with SqueezePlayer on my Xperia) until I got myself another Radio with Battery pack.
Unfortunately I don't listen to any talk radio streams, only music, so don't know how would it perform for you. Didn't noticed any hiss and generally I'm happy with sound quality.
It sounds much better (more bass'y) when placed in corners/floor (on wooden floor ideally).. and its able to fill small/medium room with reasonable volume....
It's got good battery live as well but I think some people complained when using it as bluetooth kit for making phone calls... never tried myself though...

Jaca
2012-12-08, 07:52
The squeezebox boom audio quality is very good. It has a 2-way stereo pair of really good quality speakers and the matching amplifiers to drive them.

I suggest reading the audio design white paper.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

It's too bad this kind of work is rarely talked about in product marketing.

Reading that just made me annoyed at Logitech for killing Squeezebox family!!
anyway I want to buy one now :)

castalla
2012-12-08, 08:07
I've got one of Mini Boombox speakers. I have bought it few months ago as holiday companion and it was great buy at 40GBP.
Like you did mention, you can only expect so much from tiny speaker, but this one surprised me positively.
I was even using it as additional bathroom/spareroom Squeezebox Player (paired with SqueezePlayer on my Xperia) until I got myself another Radio with Battery pack.
Unfortunately I don't listen to any talk radio streams, only music, so don't know how would it perform for you. Didn't noticed any hiss and generally I'm happy with sound quality.
It sounds much better (more bass'y) when placed in corners/floor (on wooden floor ideally).. and its able to fill small/medium room with reasonable volume....
It's got good battery live as well but I think some people complained when using it as bluetooth kit for making phone calls... never tried myself though...

Thanks ... looks like the supply is running out!