PDA

View Full Version : Better hurry, Squeezeboxes getting more expensive

erland
2012-12-05, 11:09
Not sure if this has already been posted but it is kind of funny:
http://cache.gyazo.com/f6e6b6ab4d2e02703dac2b0ef6472807.png

Suddenly the spare Squeezeboxes I purchased earlier this year is not just starting to feel like a good investment but also like an excellent economical investment. Last time I checked my local store had some on the shelf, I wonder if I should invest in a few more :-)

maggior
2012-12-05, 11:15
Only if people are actually paying those asking prices for them.

OK, I looked at the screenshot - that's just absolutely rediculous. Nobody is going to pay that!!!

castalla
2012-12-05, 11:16
Not sure if this has already been posted but it is kind of funny:
http://cache.gyazo.com/f6e6b6ab4d2e02703dac2b0ef6472807.png

Suddenly the spare Squeezeboxes I purchased earlier this year is not just starting to feel like a good investment but also like an excellent economical investment. Last time I checked my local store had some on the shelf, I wonder if I should invest in a few more :-)

They are only worth what someone else will pay for them! And I wouldn't pay over USD 800 for one!

garym
2012-12-05, 11:25
They are only worth what someone else will pay for them! And I wouldn't pay over USD 800 for one!

great, I'm rich. Oh wait....see, for example, Beanie Babies....

erland
2012-12-05, 11:27
Only if people are actually paying those asking prices for them.

OK, I looked at the screenshot - that's just absolutely rediculous. Nobody is going to pay that!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand
:-)

Mnyb
2012-12-05, 11:34
Absolutely hilarious :) a Squeezebox bubble , I'll wait until after the crash .

But if you want one there really is nothing else aviable :/

simbo
2012-12-05, 11:34
Maybe not everywhere...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/squeezebox-radio-49-91-squeezebox-touch-89-91-pc-world-instore-store-specific-1385585

erland
2012-12-05, 11:37
great, I'm rich. Oh wait....see, for example, Beanie Babies....

Who knows, maybe Logitech interpret this as if there is a market and start selling the Touch again for $599 and the Radio for $499 :-)

SFuser
2012-12-05, 13:56
Transporter SE is selling for $999 direct from Logitech and Radios for $119 (was $99 last week). I've been following SB prices on ebay and they've been trending lower the last month or so. Anyone paying more than MSRP for a squeezebox product is donating money to a seller. I have a feeling I'll be able to get BNIB or close to new SBT's for $200 or so in the next month or so.

garym
2012-12-05, 13:57
Transporter SE is selling for $999 direct from Logitech and Radios for $119 (was $99 last week). I've been following SB prices on ebay and they've been trending lower the last month or so. Anyone paying more than MSRP for a squeezebox product is donating money to a seller. I have a feeling I'll be able to get BNIB or close to new SBT's for $200 or so in the next month or so.

and probably $20 in garage sales 2 years from now when many folks that have these and never understood them clean out their closets.

d6jg
2012-12-05, 14:08
Can't believe those prices. I picked up an brand new SB Touch on Amazon UK for only 182 just a couple of weeks ago!

Jaca
2012-12-05, 14:23
Can't believe those prices. I picked up an brand new SB Touch on Amazon UK for only 182 just a couple of weeks ago!

You were lucky as that was bottom price on Amazon UK... I was watching amazon prices over month now... Got one for 197 probably 2 weeks before yours price... and then recently
decided I want another one.. and actually had to go Amazon.de (201) because .uk had them already for 269...day later even on amazon.de Touch was for 230 ish
btw previous winter I got one for 219....

You can get some 'sealed box' 2nd hand from ebay.. but Logitech warranty is not transferable apparenty...

azinck3
2012-12-05, 14:23
I don't believe anyone's paying those prices. I've been following squeezeboxes on eBay for years and there have ALWAYS been sellers asking those kinds of prices. Always. Right alongside the sanely-priced ones. I don't think there's been a significant change since the Logitech announcement.

I guess they figure they've only got to sell one or two.

d6jg
2012-12-05, 14:37
I know I was lucky. Had been watching the prices. I didn't really need it having 2xSB3 and a Boom but I thought I had better get one at that price as a sort of spare. That said I am also looking for an excuse to get a Raspberry Pi and shove Squeezeplug onto it as a secondary spare :)

bklaas
2012-12-06, 12:01
FWIW, I myself took that screenshot a couple days ago and posted it to LinkedIn. It was actually an accident on my part that it went out to the world, as it was intended for a closed Slim Devices Alumni group (no big deal though, I don't care who sees it).

I fully agree that no SB Touches are going for that much, but I so enjoy hyperbole :) However, the right-hand column of Google Revues was also part of that "supply vs. demand" statement, and it's mirthfully humorous to consider that the $40ish dollar asking price for those on eBay is also too high. Considering that Squeezebox is a casualty of that wildly bad product risk, which turned out exactly as many of us thought it would, that's the editorial punchline. Squeezebox Touch, very low supply and high demand, Google Revue, massively high supply rock bottom demand. Chalk one up in the I-told-you-so column.

I will add this anecdote re: SBT market though: shortly after posting that screenshot to LinkedIn I got an IM from an old colleague (who hadn't seen the pic I posted) who said he'd just sold a new-in-box SBT for $400, and it sold in less than an hour. Take that how you want it, but I read that as SBT resale market being quite robust. Not $1000 robust, but certainly getting over MSRP for a new unit is happening.

cheers,
#!/ben

xio
2012-12-06, 12:12
Madness! - I picked an SBT up off amazon for £140 last January. It's not had a lot of use - maybe I should flog it ;-)

amcluesent
2012-12-16, 06:19
A proper Transporter went on UK Ebay for 340 a few weeks back. I was tempted!

mrfantasy
2012-12-16, 12:23
If you look at completed listings it looks like new Touches are going for around $300-$400. Used ones are $200-$400.

azinck3
2012-12-18, 11:47
I take back my earlier comment. Prices *do* seem to have gone up markedly recently. Probably a combination of the holidays and the news re: Logitech. I just saw a used SB3 go for over $200!

hvb83
2012-12-27, 01:07
Prices have gone through the roof during last month, at least here in The Netherlands. I had already gathered the items I needed (that is 2 Touches, 2 radio's and 3 receivers), but then my parents and my sister decided they wanted this great music system too. During the three years I've had the system they never expressed any interest in that regard, and now it's gone, they all of a sudden want a system for their own... :S

For my parents I was lucky enough to find a supplier that still had a Touch around for 229 and a Radio for a very decent price too, only 4 weeks ago. Now all shops have run out of them in the mean time, and used Touches are selling for 350+ within days! It's crazy. And for my sister I was lucky enough to source a "used" Touch with the foil still on for 219 just now.

It's nice to see people still believe in this system, but double the price in just a couple of weeks time sounds like a bubble to me. If we're lucky this will last a couple of years probably. But it mainly depends upon what Logitech does with their new devices. If they release a new device for their UE-line, a device that is equal of better than the Touch (at least for the masses...), then the current prices will drop rapidly. I saw one sign of Logitech taking the UE-line marketing more serious now: they where sponsoring a radio-show last week. In my opinion they wouldn't do that if they were only planning on the Radio alone...

Recoveryone
2012-12-27, 09:38
If you look at what the Squeezebox brand really is you would not be so surprised. Squeezebox has had more of a cult following than a commerical success on store shelves. As our world has gotten smaller, due to social media over the years the word has reached people that have been looking for what we have been enjoying for years. Now that logitech has decided to discontinue the line, the value of those units that are left gain in value. Many on here (including myself) have purchased extra units for the just incase scenario in fear we will not be able to find another one later. Prices will always float towards the highend during hoildays just for the reason above. Squeezebox set the standard at all economic levels and listener perference that all others had to play catch up. Now you have AVR's that support DLNA along with popular handheld devices that can connect directly to a home stereo. We live in world that is more concern with easy access than quality of the product or output, but for those of us that still understand and believe in those standards compare all other products against the Squeezebox to see if it mearsures up. The Squeezebox line is not perfect, but until someone comes up with a product that has it and built to last the Squeezebox Slimp, SB Classic, Duet, Touch and Transporter will always have a place in many homes just like a V8 big block.