PDA

View Full Version : ANN: Orange Squeeze 1.3.0 released!

Pages : [1] 2

db122
2012-12-05, 08:01
I'm pleased to announce the release of version 1.3.0 of Orange Squeeze (http://orangebikelabs.com/products/orangesqueeze/), our Android-based remote control for Logitech Media Server Squeezebox devices.

Where can I get it?

Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orangebikelabs.orangesqueeze)
SlideME (http://slideme.org/application/orange-squeeze)
AndroidPIT (http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.orangebikelabs.orangesqueeze/Orange-Squeeze)

What's new?

Updated visual styling
Introduction of the "compact" theme selection in preferences, along with refinements to the classic theme.
Ability to download tracks to your local device (Android 2.3/Gingerbread and higher).
Context menu available on now playing screen and from current playlist items.
Sleep capability for players
Two widgets available for your home screen. On Android 4.2 (Jellybean) and higher, these widgets may be placed on the lockscreen.
Players can be moved between servers from the player management screen.
Global search, now allows searching more music sources like Mog and last.fm. Searches can automatically open up branches that you use.

If you discover bugs or if you have features that you would like to see added, please file them at http://www.orangebikelabs.com/trac/orangesqueeze.

1.3.0 requires Android 2.1 or higher. For you 2-3 users using the HTC G1 or similar devices, I hope you can struggle by with 1.2.9.

The app is still only $2.99.

Also, big thanks to everyone who downloaded and tested the Orange Squeeze Preview release. This open beta program was a huge success and will definitely continue!

db122
2012-12-05, 08:03
What's next? In all likelihood, a few bug fix releases. I hope not "emergency" ones, but this is the first time a lot of people will be using 1.3.0. We will try to keep the preview builds up-to-date at the same time.

fphredd
2012-12-05, 08:13
So, I should go back to using the 'orginal' orange squeeze that I purchased instead of the beta version?

db122
2012-12-05, 08:25
So, I should go back to using the 'orginal' orange squeeze that I purchased instead of the beta version?

Great question -- you can do whatever you like.

If you want to take a break from having both installed, feel free to do so and stick with the non-preview release. For at least a few weeks, the releases will be pretty much functionally identical. The preview release *may* get non-critical bug fixes a bit earlier.

Peter Galbavy
2012-12-06, 07:34
I installed this update recently. The new download feature is great but not up to the same standard as the Squeezecommander - but using the Android download manager is a nice touch.#

Things missing for me, and these are probably on your list, are:

1. Download path customisation (I use a BASE/Artist/Album/ type tree)
2. Download single files
3. Ability to cancel some/all of the downloads directly from the app

Having a "Compilations" or "VA" intelligence built in for those downloaded tracks that have a COMPILATION metadata tag is also a strongly desirable feature :)

Thanks for the work!

db122
2012-12-06, 07:50
1. Download path customisation (I use a BASE/Artist/Album/ type tree)

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from and I knew someone would mention it right away. Downloading tracks is a mostly secondary (even tertiary) function of the app. There are many free id3 tagger/renamers for Android that would do a better job than we ever could in organizing your files. I would suggest that you download tracks to a folder of your choice (that is customizable) and then use the taggers to get them exactly how you want. Or, certainly keep using SqueezeCommander for those purposes.

Most people will rely on apps like Google Music or other tag-based music players, so the filenames themselves are irrelevant.

2. Download single files

You can deselect the files you don't want to download -- I intended to add a select all/deselect all from the cataloged list of downloads. You can also select a single file and download it from music folder, can't you?

3. Ability to cancel some/all of the downloads directly from the app

Yes, just didn't make the cut for this release.

Thanks for the feedback!

kidstypike
2012-12-06, 07:57
You can also select a single file and download it from music folder, can't you?

Must be broken, if I select a single track to download, I just see "Download 0 track(s)".

db122
2012-12-06, 07:59
Must be broken, if I select a single track to download, I just see "Download 0 track(s)".

Sounds like it's broken to me.

db122
2012-12-06, 09:37
I know there are lots of programmers in the crowd, I think we can all agree that this is pretty accurate. We truly are terrible, but only because we're human. So, I apologize in advance when one of these comes out of my [virtual] mouth. :-)

https://plus.google.com/102786751626732213960/posts/XTNGXUDAjmJ

garym
2012-12-06, 10:13
I know there are lots of programmers in the crowd, I think we can all agree that this is pretty accurate. We truly are terrible, but only because we're human. So, I apologize in advance when one of these comes out of my [virtual] mouth. :-)

https://plus.google.com/102786751626732213960/posts/XTNGXUDAjmJ

and these mostly work as the top 20 responses to posts for help on this forum too. (and I plead guilty to several of them!)

db122
2012-12-06, 21:27
Both in preview and non-preview forms, the 1.3.1 release is out.

This just fixes a few higher profile bugs, including one that was keeping many fresh installs from working properly.

Defects fixed

Dreaded "Connecting to Server" hang at startup. Sorry!
Visual cleanups.
Can now download individual tracks.
Several reported crashes.

slimhase
2012-12-08, 03:09
Hi;
when I used Orange Squeeze, I had the problem that in the pop-up windows, no text was visible.
(When I tapped on the area of the non-visible Text, the related funktion was activated. So it is really only the text that is missing...)
What do I mean by pop-up w?
For example in the Player menue: When I tab on the little triangle on the right side for one of the players, a context menue pops up (the pop up window).
That window has a head line listing the player ('On: xyz-Playername') and underneath there are lines, subdividing tasks - but no text is visible for me. But when I tab the 1st, the synchronize options appear (with all text visible).
On the last line, a faint small 'zzz' is visible - no further text, leading to the snooze option
Note: I am running OZ on an e-ink (b&w) device - a rooted Barnes&Noble Nook Touch running Android 2.1.

Is there a way to fix this?
Heiner

Hi db122; any chance to work on this?
I checked the 2 themes you provided, but the issue is present on both of them......
Anyway I can help?
(Although I am a quite ignorant user / non-programmer...)

All the best,
Heiner

losAntonis
2012-12-12, 06:34
I have a little Question/wish.
I own a Squeezebox touch for my music. The Orange Squeeze is installed on an Android MP3-Player.
Recently I bought a Popcorn Hour Player for my Videos. This Device can also handle Music, even as a UPNP Client.
With an app called iMediaShare I would be able (but not paracticable enough) to stream Music from my NAS to the poppy.
When I "played" with these devices I was asking myself if it would be possible to stream the music you are currently hearing (on Touch, Squeezeplayer etc) to an UPNPClients as well, like iMediaShare does???
Just an idea?

toby10
2012-12-12, 06:50
...... if it would be possible to stream the music you are currently hearing (on Touch, Squeezeplayer etc) to an UPNPClients as well, like iMediaShare does???

Nope. UPnP/DLNA is far too simplistic & limited to be a part of (i.e. Sync'd with) SB players. In fact, I'm not aware of UPnP/DLNA certified clients even being capable of Syncing to other UPnP/DLNA clients. But then, I don't bother with DLNA as that is why I have SB players, so maybe there is some roundabout method to Sync DLNA clients to each other, dunno.

db122
2012-12-12, 15:10
I checked the 2 themes you provided, but the issue is present on both of them......

I'm working on a solution for this. Thanks for your patience!

slimhase
2012-12-13, 08:07
I'm working on a solution for this. Thanks for your patience!
Great! Thanks, db122.
Now I will keep my piehole shut and wait.....
:-)

db122
2012-12-13, 08:44
Great! Thanks, db122.
Now I will keep my piehole shut and wait.....

Please, keep your piehole filled with pie. Tis the season. Are you using the preview builds? Any fix will make it's appearance there first.

TheLastMan
2012-12-14, 11:13
I am probably being totally dense and missing the blindingly obvious, but I cannot find a button for the "+" context menu anywhere?

This is available on the browser interface, the hardware Controller and Squeeze Commander but I cannot find it on Orange Squeeze. It is a notable absentee on the official app and it is the only reason why, despite its horribly un-intuitive user interface, that I continue to use Squeeze Commander.

kidstypike
2012-12-14, 11:19
I am probably being totally dense and missing the blindingly obvious, but I cannot find a button for the "+" context menu anywhere?

This is available on the browser interface, the hardware Controller and Squeeze Commander but I cannot find it on Orange Squeeze. It is a notable absentee on the official app and it is the only reason why, despite its horribly un-intuitive user interface, that I continue to use Squeeze Commander.

Just press and hold for a second or two on any Artist, Album, Track, or Album art.

pippin
2012-12-14, 11:34
It is a notable absentee on the official app

BTW: you can get that menu in the official App, too. The same way as in OrangeSqueeze. And indeed also in SqueezeCommander. And on the Squeezebox Touch :) And in iPeng (that's where it originates from, I believe).

slimhase
2012-12-14, 12:18
Please, keep your piehole filled with pie. Tis the season. Are you using the preview builds? Any fix will make it's appearance there first.
and yes - I use / update the preview builds.
Heiner

tbessie
2012-12-14, 15:30
Hi there...

So I just installed Orange Squeeze 1.3.1 on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.2.1).

Very often (though not every time), when I tried to connect to mysqueezebox.com or my own LMS server, Orange Squeeze tries to connect, and then says "Timeout waiting for server connection to complete".

Then, other times, it connects.

Is this a known issue? It is rather frustrating. Squeeze Commander has never had any problems connecting in my home environment like this.

- Tim

tbessie
2012-12-14, 15:36
After installing Orange Squeeze, I see it has several processes/services running, even when I'm not using it. Is there any way to configure it to NOT have these running if the app is not running in the foreground? I hate it when apps run all the time like that.

- Tim

db122
2012-12-14, 16:21
After installing Orange Squeeze, I see it has several processes/services running, even when I'm not using it. Is there any way to configure it to NOT have these running if the app is not running in the foreground? I hate it when apps run all the time like that.

First off, don't assume that a service running means that there is anything happening or power drain from the process. It doesn't.

One service runs all the time: the power management service. It simply receives notifications when the screen turns on and off, wifi comes up and down, etc. There are no active running threads or connections associated with this service and it will not take any cpu or draw any power. There is no way to disable this although you could try experimenting with task killers, etc. to kill it if you like. It won't accomplish anything, but do what you like. It will break some of the app behavior if this service is not running (specifically, power saving features).

There is a second service and that maintains a connection to the server. You absolutely need this if you use the widgets at all. If you don't use the widgets and are OK with the connection being dropped every time Orange Squeeze moves to the background (any task comes in front of it) then you can set the connection timeout in the preferences to a very low value. The default will have the service shut itself down after a minute or two of the app being in the background (and no widgets).

My advice: before you spent too much time worrying about it, check your device power management screen to see if the app is actually taking any significant power. If it's not taking power, then it's also not slowing your device down because cpu usage = power drain. You can only do these tests if the device is running off battery, by the way.

db122
2012-12-14, 16:28
So I just installed Orange Squeeze 1.3.1 on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.2.1).

I have the same device.

Very often (though not every time), when I tried to connect to mysqueezebox.com or my own LMS server, Orange Squeeze tries to connect, and then says "Timeout waiting for server connection to complete".

This has been a problem in the past, but I haven't seen it lately. What server version are you running? FWIW, I start and stop the app dozens of times per day and don't see it. It doesn't improve your experience -- sorry. :-)

One thing about the Galaxy Nexus is that the Wifi performance/range is horrible. I had to install a repeater so that I could use the device reliably in my office, and my Macbook Pro has a very high signal.

It could be that Orange Squeeze is less tolerant of requests that go unanswered or are "lost" than Squeeze Commander, or it could be a race condition that simply doesn't expose itself in my testing.

The more details I can get about your situation, the better. Enable "Verbose Logging" in advanced preferences, and when you get a timeout situation to occur, go back to preferences and hit "submit logs". Fill in your email address or some other identifier (can just be tbessie) so that I can associate the requests to you.

TheLastMan
2012-12-14, 17:11
Just press and hold for a second or two on any Artist, Album, Track, or Album art.
Ah...

I knew it must be there somewhere!

I have turned on the context sensitive tips until I get used to it.
Love the interface by the way, very intelligent use of the space in portrait mode.

tbessie
2012-12-14, 18:10
db122 - Thanks for all the info! I won't worry about the background processes, and will just take your word for it. You know, old engineer's habit, suspicion of unknown processes. :-)

As for the connection issues - yeah, I've notice that my Galaxy Nexus has been having WiFi connectivity issues; they seemed to have gotten worse when I upgraded to Jelly Bean (and I've seen complaints about this specific issue online). I also upgraded my router's firmware around the same time, so I didn't want to pin it on the phone only, but if others have had WiFi problems with this device (dropouts when I'm just around the corner from the router, for example), then that seems a likely culprit.

I'll keep using Orange Squeeze and see if this keeps happening, especially when I'm right next to the router. If it does keep happening, I'll turn on the log and send it to you.

Thanks again for your voluminous and helpful replies! :-)

- Tim

pippin
2012-12-16, 05:02
I'm still occasionally seeing SqueezePlayer staying active forever in the background even if it's not playing. I'm using the preview (obviously have the live version, too, but my widgets are generated using the preview so I assume that's what's running).

SqueezePlayer the last time had a power state of "on", I then went into the App and turned it off and 15 min later it was gone, don't know which part (opening the App or powering off the player) did the trick.

It's still unreliable behavior overall, I'm seeing this in about one of 4 uses. Android 4.2.1 on Nexus 7.

bluegaspode
2012-12-16, 11:52
You do have the tablets on battery all the time? The timeout is only enabled when on batteries.

pippin
2012-12-16, 13:29
Ah. I did have it on battery when I noticed it, but it might have been charging when it was used the last time. Might it not notice the charging state change later

pippin
2012-12-16, 15:28
Ok, now it keeps running again, it's definitely not charging or connected to power and the power state is "off".

jimbobvfr400
2012-12-16, 16:56
Pippin don't know if you've seen the stop service option if you press the little drop down triangle thingy. Should do the trick I think.

Edit: this is in Orange Squeeze on the players screen, just to be clear, which I realised maybe I wasn't.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

bluegaspode
2012-12-16, 23:22
What do you mean by 'keeps running'?

You see the symbol in the action bar longer than 15 min?
What happens if you force quit OrangeSqueeze via the App settings? Does the symbol disappear after the next 15min?

pippin
2012-12-17, 01:17
Pippin don't know if you've seen the stop service option if you press the little drop down triangle thingy. Should do the trick I think.

No, I've not seen that, but it's also not really what I want. I don't _want_ to have to go to the App and stop the player manually when I stop playing. That's too much effort, especially since even the lock screen widget seems to wake it up, I would have to go into the App every time I somehow activated the lock screen widget, that can't be.

[QUOTE=bluegaspode;729493]What do you mean by 'keeps running'?

You see the symbol in the action bar longer than 15 min?

I see it in iPeng on my iPad and can control it. It's running.

What happens if you force quit OrangeSqueeze via the App settings? Does the symbol disappear after the next 15min?

I'll give it a try. Would that mean I have to uninstall the widgets first?

pippin
2012-12-17, 02:18
Update: Killing OrangeSqueeze has helped and at least after killing it also the player did not automatically restart when looking at the lock-screen widget (it's never been my selected player there)

db122
2012-12-17, 09:33
Update: Killing OrangeSqueeze has helped and at least after killing it also the player did not automatically restart when looking at the lock-screen widget (it's never been my selected player there)

So for 1.3.x, I would expect that Orange Squeeze would keep the local SqueezePlayer active for as long as Orange Squeeze has a connection to the server. This means that if you are using widgets, any time your screen is on your device will maintain a connection to your server and also keep your local SqueezePlayer running. If you turn your screen off or it times out and turns off automatically, Orange Squeeze will time its server connection out to save power, and it will also cease to keep SqueezePlayer alive. SqueezePlayer can then time out according to its own policies then.

As discussed earlier, killing Orange Squeeze (e.g. its services) will cause this behavior to stop -- at least temporarily. However, because the Orange Squeeze power management service is sticky, it may be restarted by the system automatically. The reason for this is that if your device is under load or memory constraints, then even the services that you want running may be killed by the system. This is a good thing, because it lets you play games or do things that consume all of the device resources and then sticky services will be restarted at the first opportunity so that your widgets and such will start working again automatically. While the power management service will be restarted automatically, I want to reiterate that this service is very lightweight and is nothing like a server connection at all.

Note that for 1.3.x, every time a connection is established, the local SqueezePlayer instance will also be started if that is enabled in the Orange Squeeze preferences. Right now this happens for every reconnect, including reconnects for the lock screen widget, etc. I'll have to think about how to improve this behavior, because it probably isn't necessary in a few limited scenarios (widgets active for different players). However, when the user opens up the UI again we would want the player started up automatically, I suppose.

pippin
2012-12-17, 09:44
Yes. Actually all of what you write would be the behavior I would expect and want.
Unfortunately, it's not what I've been seeing recently when I had SqueezePlayer running all night even though I didn't touch my Nexus and it was not connected to external power.
It doesn't happen all of the time (around 1 out of 3 times I open OrangeSqueeze, I would say), but often enough to be my primary source of power drain on my Nexus (android says 60% of my power consumption is caused by SqueezePlayer).

I don't know whether this is caused by OS or SP, can I do anything to help diagnose.

Oh, and I did enable that option to start SP with OS.

db122
2012-12-17, 10:55
Yes. Actually all of what you write would be the behavior I would expect and want.
OK, good, thanks Pippin. I'm going to release a new preview sometime today, and I will add a bit of temporary logging to it that won't require you to enable 'verbose logging' to see. I'm hoping it will tell us which of the following is happening:

1) OS is not shutting itself down properly and keeping the connection active (unlikely, since the network connection would show a significant power draw in your situation).
2) OS is shutting itself down, but still somehow sending pings to SqueezePlayer even though the rest of the service is shut down (I've audited this section of code and don't see it myself, but I can't rule it out 100%)
3) SqueezePlayer is keeping itself active through some other mechanism

Once you get the update, just use your device as normal and use the submit logs to send a log to me when you wake up and notice that SqueezePlayer stayed awake too long. We will hope that the log data won't roll over -- there is a limit to how much Android keeps.

pippin
2012-12-17, 11:31
Well, there certainly still _is_ a connection (after all, at least SP communicates with the server) and OS/WiFi are (a distant) #2 and #4 in the "battery drain" list at 13% and 8%.

I'll send the logs when it happens again.

db122
2012-12-17, 13:54
Well, there certainly still _is_ a connection (after all, at least SP communicates with the server) and OS/WiFi are (a distant) #2 and #4 in the "battery drain" list at 13% and 8%.

I'll send the logs when it happens again.

Thanks.

My guess is that there's only a connection for SP, separate from OS. If I remember correctly, when I fixed the bug that was leaving the connection up for much longer, OS was taking ~60% of the power drain for your situation, so based on those numbers I'm assuming that the OS connection was dropped correctly. The logs should contain enough information to confirm this.

pippin
2012-12-17, 14:22
Sorry, I mixed "OS" up with "Operating System". No OrangeSqueeze is not even on the top-list of power consumers, even Google Maps is more prominent although that App has done nothing but crashing on startup since I installed the update....
So your connection is probably down, indeed.

db122
2012-12-18, 12:47

Relating to the all-white dialog issue on Android 2.2 and e-ink devices, the latest preview (just released now) makes an attempt to color the dialog in more stark contrast (departing from the Android 2.2 defaults), which I hope will resolve this issue. Please post your experiences.

bluegaspode
2012-12-18, 17:16
Ben,

I got two reports from users, who say SqueezePlayer is now starting up, whenever they receive a call.
I do see, that you have an 'On call received' option. Is there a possibility that this one wakes up SqueezePlayer?

Cheers
Stefan

db122
2012-12-18, 17:23
Ben,

I got two reports from users, who say SqueezePlayer is now starting up, whenever they receive a call.
I do see, that you have an 'On call received' option. Is there a possibility that this one wakes up SqueezePlayer?

Sure, that's not exactly how it's supposed to work but I see the problem. For now, disabling the squeezeplayer autostart will stop that behavior. Simply changing the on call received setting won't be enough. I'll get a fix in progress. Thanks!

db122
2012-12-19, 09:10
Ben,

OK, I've pushed a fix out to the preview channel to fix this. There are actually a lot of under-the-cover changes, so it needs testing and I'm off to my "other" job today. I'm hoping that I will be promoting the preview to 1.3.2 stable very soon. Everyone hammer away on the preview for me, ok? :-)

theslime
2012-12-23, 06:12
I had to register just to say that after installing this app for the first time, it's the first time in more than a year (since the SqueezeCommander development stopped, more or less) I've not badly regretted buying a Squeezebox Touch. I hate remotes and using it with an Android app - and, preferably, a good Android widget - was the main reason I bought a Squeezebox in the first place, and all other app development the last year (apart from Orange Squeeze, that is) has been underwhelming, to say the least - especially disappointing since I have four Android devices in the house that runs ICS or newer, and the official app looks about three years old, design-wise, and lags badly even on a Nexus 7 (which is no easy feat, consider I can play GTA III stutter-free on it).

So: Cheers! No problems so far, making this the best 18 Norwegian kroner I ever spent. Even a lockscreen widget as the icing on the cake. I love my Squeezebox again.

socistep
2012-12-25, 13:53
I had to register just to say that after installing this app for the first time, it's the first time in more than a year (since the SqueezeCommander development stopped, more or less) I've not badly regretted buying a Squeezebox Touch. I hate remotes and using it with an Android app - and, preferably, a good Android widget - was the main reason I bought a Squeezebox in the first place, and all other app development the last year (apart from Orange Squeeze, that is) has been underwhelming, to say the least - especially disappointing since I have four Android devices in the house that runs ICS or newer, and the official app looks about three years old, design-wise, and lags badly even on a Nexus 7 (which is no easy feat, consider I can play GTA III stutter-free on it).

So: Cheers! No problems so far, making this the best 18 Norwegian kroner I ever spent. Even a lockscreen widget as the icing on the cake. I love my Squeezebox again.

Agreed. Would love to see a tablet optimised android app in the same way ipeng and squeezepad are available for the ipad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

theslime
2012-12-27, 08:36
I agree. It's great, perfect even, in portrait mode on a Nexus 7, but landscape mode or any view on a 10 inch tablet leaves a tiny bit to be desired. Still, the layouts are miles better than the official app and Squeeze Commander combined, so I'm definitely not complaining. E.g. the now playing screen is nice even in landscape, and that's not the case at all with the other two. Also, I primarily use my Nexus 7 in portrait view anyway.

db122
2012-12-28, 17:23
Thank you everyone for the kind words about Orange Squeeze. Like many (most?) of you, I've been a member of this community for the past ten years and am constantly impressed with its cooperative and collaborative spirit. I'm looking forward to a music-filled 2013!

banned for life
2012-12-28, 17:49
Thank you everyone for the kind words about Orange Squeeze. Like many (most?) of you, I've been a member of this community for the past ten years and am constantly impressed with its cooperative and collaborative spirit. I'm looking forward to a music-filled 2013!

Works for me and I enjoy the Squeezeplayer integration. Happy times.

i am not here

i have been Banned For Life

yocky
2013-01-07, 17:48
I've just installed 1.3.4 from the Market.

I noticed in a previous version that downloading files had been made possible, saw the relevant section in preferences where i could specify the download location, but didn't get round to testing it. Now with the latest version I don't see any reference to downloading in the menus or preferences at all....

db122
2013-01-07, 17:52
I've just installed 1.3.4 from the Market.

I noticed in a previous version that downloading files had been made possible, saw the relevant section in preferences where i could specify the download location, but didn't get round to testing it. Now with the latest version I don't see any reference to downloading in the menus or preferences at all....

While browsing, use the context/action menu (the triangle thing) and look for a "Download" menu item at the bottom of the list. We've tried to support detection of tracks within most hierarchies that can contain local tracks. Download preferences are available from the screen that lists all of the downloadable tracks that are discovered.

yocky
2013-01-07, 18:12
OK, yep found it and it works.

I still don't see an option to specify the download location...which I'm sure was there before. I'd really like to be able to download to my external SD card rather than the inbuilt storage.

I notice ratings are possible now, is that new?

db122
2013-01-07, 18:17
OK, yep found it and it works.

I still don't see an option to specify the download location...which I'm sure was there before. I'd really like to be able to download to my external SD card rather than the inbuilt storage.

I notice ratings are possible now, is that new?

Argh! That download location preference definition didn't get migrated over to the new download preferences. It's all in there, but you have no way to set it. I'll fix it tonight.

Ratings support is new in 1.3, simply because of improvements to the Jive-style browsing and the context menu support for now playing. Nothing new in 1.3.4 that I'm aware of though.

yocky
2013-01-07, 18:21
Great, thanks a lot. Mighty fast support shift working tonight!

db122
2013-01-07, 21:02
Great, thanks a lot. Mighty fast support shift working tonight!

1.3.5 is out, it should be made available soon with this preference reenabled.

JonWill
2013-01-08, 01:04
Hi there,

I've just entered the world of Orange Squeeze having downloaded it for my Xmas Nexus 7 - and am initially very impressed. However, I can't seem to find out how to set the alarm on my Radio (important functionality for me whilst sitting on the sofa) - I note from the previous OS v1 thread that this may be deliberate... is this the case? Or if not where should I be looking?

(I am a great fan of the increased functionality available over SqueezeCommander in terms of library re-scanning, and so can't see why this would be absent :))

Sorry if this has been covered before, but the last thread is _very_ long ...

J

slimhase
2013-01-08, 01:39
Hi DB122.
I kept my pie-hole shut all holiday season....
;-)

Anything on the horizon wrt the unvisible text issue (for b&w e-ink displays)?

I tried already changing to various other color-themes (via ADW launcher) w/o succsess. The text in the pop-up boxes never shows up....
(Also, I do not have that issue on any other App).

Other than that: Keep up the great work!
Everytime I start Squeezecommander with it's somewhat un-intuitive menues I wish Orange Squeeze would be ready for me.....
Cheers, Heiner

P.S. Other than that, I noticed that when moving form screen to screen (i.e. search to players) the new screen sometimes 'hangs' i.e. new menue only shows partly and is not centered. Any change in a future update to have an option to enable / disable screen animations? That would also help on the more static e-ink displays.
(However, I do understand, that users running Orange-Squeeze on e-ink devices are not you main target group...)

yocky
2013-01-08, 03:48
1.3.5 is out, it should be made available soon with this preference reenabled.

Something is still wrong. When I try to access the Download Preferences I get a black screen and the app hangs. The only option after a minute or so is to force close it.

db122
2013-01-08, 06:54
Hi DB122.
Anything on the horizon wrt the unvisible text issue (for b&w e-ink displays)?

Heiner, I did put an attempt to fix this in place for 1.3, and asked you about it somewhere back, but never heard. I assume it didn't work then? Can you take a picture with a camera and send it to me?

P.S. Other than that, I noticed that when moving form screen to screen (i.e. search to players) the new screen sometimes 'hangs' i.e. new menue only shows partly and is not centered. Any change in a future update to have an option to enable / disable screen animations? That would also help on the more static e-ink displays.
(However, I do understand, that users running Orange-Squeeze on e-ink devices are not you main target group...)
I'll have to think about that one. It's too bad that the ROM for the e-ink devices can't disable animations for some of the core components on its own, if they won't work properly....

db122
2013-01-08, 06:55
Something is still wrong. When I try to access the Download Preferences I get a black screen and the app hangs. The only option after a minute or so is to force close it.

So many devices with so many small behavior differences. I see your crash report, should be fixed in 1.3.6.

db122
2013-01-08, 06:59
I've just entered the world of Orange Squeeze having downloaded it for my Xmas Nexus 7 - and am initially very impressed. However, I can't seem to find out how to set the alarm on my Radio (important functionality for me whilst sitting on the sofa) - I note from the previous OS v1 thread that this may be deliberate... is this the case? Or if not where should I be looking?

Hi Jon, it isn't deliberate in that it's a feature we left out because we don't believe people should have alarms, it's deliberate in that it just hasn't been done yet because other things have had a higher priority.

slimhase
2013-01-08, 08:46
Relating to the all-white dialog issue on Android 2.2 and e-ink devices, the latest preview (just released now) makes an attempt to color the dialog in more stark contrast (departing from the Android 2.2 defaults), which I hope will resolve this issue. Please post your experiences.

DB122;
I am terribly sorry that I overlooked this feedback from you!
As stated earlier today, I still see this issue with the latest previews.

I am currently not at home - I will take pictures of the issues I am seeing and ppost them (or PM you).

Sorry again for the late response.

Heiner
Oh, one other thing: You mention Andriod 2.2
I think Nook's Android is 2.1
Can that be part of the issue?

db122
2013-01-08, 09:11
DB122;
Oh, one other thing: You mention Andriod 2.2
I think Nook's Android is 2.1
Can that be part of the issue?

Most likely that is the issue -- you won't even see the custom color set on Android 2.1. I see lots of people using custom Android 2.2 ROMs on Nook Simple Touch though. Are you simply using a stock ROM that's been rooted then?

JonWill
2013-01-08, 09:36
Hi Jon, it isn't deliberate in that it's a feature we left out because we don't believe people should have alarms, it's deliberate in that it just hasn't been done yet because other things have had a higher priority.

Thanks for the answer....little bit of a priority for me... It's the only reason I fire up squeeze commander now!

(but understand that there are many other things to do too!)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

fphredd
2013-01-08, 11:12
I'm not sure if this is a change or I never noticed, but from now playing, now playing toolbar, or widget, I can skip to the next song but not previous (or beginning of current). Did that button go away? I would customize mine without thumbs up/down if given the choice in order to make room.

Thnx!

db122
2013-01-08, 11:16
I'm not sure if this is a change or I never noticed, but from now playing, now playing toolbar, or widget, I can skip to the next song but not previous (or beginning of current). Did that button go away? I would customize mine without thumbs up/down if given the choice in order to make room.

In general, the track-back button will only appear if it's a valid choice, and same for thumbs up/thumbs down. At first blush, I'd guess you're using Pandora, last.fm or some other service that allows you to love/ban tracks or something like that but doesn't allow playlist navigation. Each of these services is slightly different though, so provide more details and we'll take it from there.

db122
2013-01-08, 11:19
Thanks for the answer....little bit of a priority for me...

I certainly understand and you're not alone....

fphredd
2013-01-08, 11:55
I'm guessing my wife was using Pandora...no good comes from a day home from work...

slimhase
2013-01-08, 15:38
Most likely that is the issue -- you won't even see the custom color set on Android 2.1. I see lots of people using custom Android 2.2 ROMs on Nook Simple Touch though. Are you simply using a stock ROM that's been rooted then?

O-oh. Yes, I am using a rooted Nook w/ a slightly modified Rom, but still Android 2.1.
Does this mean dead end for me?
I still use the Nook 85% as a reader, that's why I did not attempt to change the ROM entirely.
Also: Where did you see people using Android 2.2 on Nook simple touch?
Can you point me somewhere? I did not find this so far (XDA-deleoper aso)

Best, Heiner

db122
2013-01-08, 15:46
O-oh. Yes, I am using a rooted Nook w/ a slightly modified Rom, but still Android 2.1.
Does this mean dead end for me?

No, not a dead-end at all. Send an email to me (tbsandee@orangebikelabs.com) and I will send you a test build off-list.

I still use the Nook 85% as a reader, that's why I did not attempt to change the ROM entirely.
Also: Where did you see people using Android 2.2 on Nook simple touch?
Can you point me somewhere? I did not find this so far (XDA-deleoper aso)

My mistake, I was just not reading carefully. Sorry to get your hopes up....

slimhase
2013-01-08, 15:57
No, not a dead-end at all. Send an email to me (tbsandee@orangebikelabs.com) and I will send you a test build off-list.

Cool! Thank you - email is send.
Heiner

yocky
2013-01-08, 22:53
So many devices with so many small behavior differences. I see your crash report, should be fixed in 1.3.6.

All sorted. Thanks

sbp
2013-01-22, 13:00
Hi
I just updated to the new version today (preview 1.4.0 -20130116-1120)- but now there is a problem:

If you are at the artist page and want to play an album, you often get the album below the one you want to hear:

If you have a long press on the cover picture - you always get the album below.
If you have a long press on the Album title - you always get the album below.
If you press on the triangle (to the right on this screen) - you get the correct album.

It is working fine in the non-preview version 1.37.

Regards
Seen

db122
2013-01-22, 13:05
Hi
I just updated to the new version today (preview 1.4.0 -20130116-1120)- but now there is a problem:

If you are at the artist page and want to play an album, you often get the album below the one you want to hear:

If you have a long press on the cover picture - you always get the album below.
If you have a long press on the Album title - you always get the album below.
If you press on the triangle (to the right on this screen) - you get the correct album.

It is working fine in the non-preview version 1.37.

Hi there, thanks for reporting. This is a known issue and as you note, the easiest workaround is to use the triangle. That's what I use all the time, which is why the long-press problem wasn't caught earlier.

You're going to be seeing lots of turnover and general instability in the preview version for the next month or so, so if your tolerance for bugs is low it's a great time to stick with 1.3.7! :-)

ulvi
2013-01-26, 11:15
I must be missing something since this is such basic functionality:
When I have a playlist and I want to quickly edit it (knock off some of the
items), there must be a screen where each item in the list is selectable
for deletion. How do I get there?

db122
2013-01-26, 11:34
I must be missing something since this is such basic functionality:
When I have a playlist and I want to quickly edit it (knock off some of the
items), there must be a screen where each item in the list is selectable
for deletion. How do I get there?

You can't, it doesn't. There's no real extra playlist management beyond what the basic Jive support enables.

fphredd
2013-01-27, 08:15
The issue I mentioned previously about the back button is not limited to Pandora etc. Here's the various behaviors....
Tablet (Transformer): back button on all Orange Squeeze screens but not on widget
Phone (HTC Rezound): back button is there on now playing screen only, other screens have next in the title bar but no back and it's not on the widget either.

Still an awesome app :)

Thx

db122
2013-01-30, 16:21
Just dropped a new preview release out on Google Play. It's pretty big, as these release go, because it adds support for modifying player alarms and other items through the player settings jive menu. Lots of other changes too, so check it out.

mbw2001
2013-02-12, 11:41
Hey. Just bought the app and loving it so far.

However i noticed one thing. I am using the DenonSerial addon on my Squeezebox to control the volume on my Denon Amp.

This works like a charm with the volume buttons in the standard version, however in the preview version the volume is listed as "locked" and cannot be changed.

Lastly i see a few posts about optimizing screen realestate for tablets. Any plans on that? Most look fine on a tablet, however when browsing the library a lot of the screen is wasted. Listing albums as coverart with multiple albums on a line instead of as a list with the album name to the right would improve the look a lot.

db122
2013-02-13, 06:33
Hey. Just bought the app and loving it so far.

However i noticed one thing. I am using the DenonSerial addon on my Squeezebox to control the volume on my Denon Amp.

This works like a charm with the volume buttons in the standard version, however in the preview version the volume is listed as "locked" and cannot be changed.

We'll fix this for the next preview release. Thanks.

Lastly i see a few posts about optimizing screen realestate for tablets. Any plans on that? Most look fine on a tablet, however when browsing the library a lot of the screen is wasted. Listing albums as coverart with multiple albums on a line instead of as a list with the album name to the right would improve the look a lot.

+1

cdmackay
2013-02-13, 16:40
I thought I asked this before, but can't seem to find it...

Would you please consider possibly adding a volume control to the lockscreen plugin?

I would find that really helpful; I'm often having to unlock the phone to adjust the volume, but I can do most other quick tasks from the plugin.

Adding a slider might be hard, but perhaps +/- buttons would do?

thanks for considering it...

verypsb
2013-02-15, 00:52
I really like Orange Squeeze, but experience frequent connection problems on my Google Nexus 7. It doesn't seem to find my Logitech Media Server, while Squeezecommander can find my Logitech Media Server without problems... Is this a known problem?

db122
2013-02-15, 08:51
I really like Orange Squeeze, but experience frequent connection problems on my Google Nexus 7. It doesn't seem to find my Logitech Media Server, while Squeezecommander can find my Logitech Media Server without problems... Is this a known problem?

Not really a known issue, but that doesn't make it valid. I use it on a N7 all the time. What LMS server version?

I'd love to see logs generated when these connection hiccups happen. With a N7 you can use a trick to send a developer report by holding down vol up/vol down/power simultaneously. Android 4.1 made it much harder to get reliable log files from non-rooted devices. You can also use the menu item in preferences to submit logs, but often by the time you navigate there the relevant data is gone.

Also, you might try the preview builds if you haven't already. There are quite a few connectivity-related changes (but nothing specific I can point to to solve your problem) in the 1.4-preview series.

db122
2013-02-15, 08:53
I thought I asked this before, but can't seem to find it...

Would you please consider possibly adding a volume control to the lockscreen plugin?

I think you might have emailed directly, but yes it's on the radar. Thanks.

cdmackay
2013-02-15, 10:24
I think you might have emailed directly, but yes it's on the radar. Thanks.

Ah, I did switch from interacting via email to the web, recently.

great, thanks much!

bebop
2013-02-17, 08:04
I am currently testing this great app to see if I should by an Android tablet and stick it on the wall for my music system, and I must say that it works like a treat :-)
My main problem is, that I can not get wake on lan to work, I have tried with both auto and manual MAC address but no luck.
I am currently running the 1.4 preview, and I test it onBlue Stack app player on my PC. I have tested a dedicated android WOL app on this setup, and that works nicely.

I did some packet analyzing with Wire shark, and there I can see that the Orange Squeeze program does not send out any WOL packets.

I use the app from outside my homenetwork, but other apps works ok with this setup, so Orange Squeeze should be able to do the same, have other users had problems with this ?

db122
2013-02-17, 09:30
I am currently testing this great app to see if I should by an Android tablet and stick it on the wall for my music system, and I must say that it works like a treat :-)
My main problem is, that I can not get wake on lan to work, I have tried with both auto and manual MAC address but no luck.
I am currently running the 1.4 preview, and I test it onBlue Stack app player on my PC. I have tested a dedicated android WOL app on this setup, and that works nicely.

I did some packet analyzing with Wire shark, and there I can see that the Orange Squeeze program does not send out any WOL packets.

I use the app from outside my homenetwork, but other apps works ok with this setup, so Orange Squeeze should be able to do the same, have other users had problems with this ?

Can you elaborate on your network setup? If Orange Squeeze has trouble deciding/locating the proper broadcast address for the WOL packet, it won't send it, so that seems like what is likely happening. In particular, it will only send WOL over WiFi.

bebop
2013-02-17, 14:14
Can you elaborate on your network setup? If Orange Squeeze has trouble deciding/locating the proper broadcast address for the WOL packet, it won't send it, so that seems like what is likely happening. In particular, it will only send WOL over WiFi.

My network setup is with the SB Server at my home with some of the players located there, and I have some players located at my girlfriends home, and this is where I have been testing the Orange Squeeze app too(I do of course have the proper ports in the routers forwarded so WOL and the players will work from the outside of my network).
I had similar WOL issues with my SB Touch which is located outside the SB server network too, but there I could modify the WakeOnLan.lua file so it would contain a fixed MAC and IP address for the SB server and then WOL works fine from the Touch. I would guess that if you have reused some of the Squeezeplay routines in the Orange Squeeze app, that will show similar behaviour. Maybe you could add a manual input IP field like you have have the MAC address option ?

db122
2013-02-17, 15:07
Maybe you could add a manual input IP field like you have have the MAC address option ? Thanks, I suspect this is what we will end up doing.

iceman2321
2013-02-20, 23:34
Hi, new orangesqeeze user here. I've just setup a house with LMS and orangesqueeze. I notice in the forum that a few people mentioned being able download tracks. Is this currently in the app and I just did not see it? Secondly would it be possible to do now or even in the future, to be able to select multiple (like selecting multiple photos in the gallery) to download to the device?

Thanks in advance!

jimbobvfr400
2013-02-21, 06:24
If you press and hold on an artist, album or song the bottom menu item is download to device.
I don't think you can multi select as such but you can select a whole artist or album, you then get taken to a screen where you can unselect the tracks you don't want.

Hoopy
2013-02-23, 03:35
Hi, I'm pretty new to Orange Queeze and love it so far! There's just on thing I can't figure out. Under 'my music' I can see the menu entries for 'dynamic playlists' and 'trackstat' (though their icons are greyed out) and can also traverse their submenu tree, but I can't actually select them, i.e. when selecting a dynamic playlists it doesn't queue songs. What am I missing here? (I'm running v1.3.7 on a Galaxy S3, also tried the preview version).

Cheers,
Hoopy

jstraw
2013-02-25, 13:41
I've been using Orange Squeeze for a while now and I truly love it. I would like to request the following enhancements with the understanding that it may be that I just haven't figure out how to set some preferences properly.

1. The ability to set it so that incoming calls only mute the application if the active player is the phone and not if Orange Squeeze is controlling another device.

2. The option to shut off album art to have that screen real estate used for easier to read (larger) text.

3. More and better themes. I would like control over font size or the ability to select themes that deal with font size in a variety of configurations. In particular, It's not useful for me to see "artist" larger than "title" and "album." What I need to see most easily is "title."

4. The ability to go into a track and not just be able to navigate to the album, genre, year or the artist but also up the folder tree. For example, if I'm listening to disc 2, track 6, I can easily play all of disc 2 but not easily get to disc 1 if my library sees that as a different folder/album.

Great app. Thank you so much.

kidstypike
2013-02-25, 14:05
4. The ability to go into a track and not just be able to navigate to the album, genre, year or the artist but also up the folder tree. For example, if I'm listening to disc 2, track 6, I can easily play all of disc 2 but not easily get to disc 1 if my library sees that as a different folder/album.

I assume you are aware that if you press and hold the artist name on the "now playing" screen, all albums by that artist are listed, presumably "disc 1" would be playable from there?

jstraw
2013-02-25, 14:46
I assume you are aware that if you press and hold the artist name on the "now playing" screen, all albums by that artist are listed, presumably "disc 1" would be playable from there?
No, I did not, that's helpful. Thank you.

Interestingly, there appears to be a limit on the number of "albums" (in my case, they're folders) that can be displayed. There is an artist for which I have a great deal of music and the display limit is reached long before the end of the list would be reached. Even if there were no limit, the list would be rather uselessly long. It would be easier to just go back to the library and drill down than to use it. It would be very useful to me to be able to "drill up" from the track, as long as when I went up each level, I was *at* the parent item on the list and not the top of the parent list.

I have no idea if "drilling up" would be as useful to other people as it would be to me.

kidstypike
2013-02-25, 14:54
No, I did not, that's helpful. Thank you.

Interestingly, there appears to be a limit on the number of "albums" (in my case, they're folders) that can be displayed. There is an artist for which I have a great deal of music and the display limit is reached long before the end of the list would be reached. Even if there were no limit, the list would be rather uselessly long. It would be easier to just go back to the library and drill down than to use it. It would be very useful to me to be able to "drill up" from the track, as long as when I went up each level, I was *at* the parent item on the list and not the top of the parent list.

I have no idea if "drilling up" would be as useful to other people as it would be to me.

I don't use disc 1, disc 2 tags myself, but what happens when you press and hold the album name on the now playing screen?

jstraw
2013-02-25, 15:19
I don't use disc 1, disc 2 tags myself, but what happens when you press and hold the album name on the now playing screen?

I don't worry about tags. They're either there or not. I'm not talking about disk 1 tags and disk 2 tags. I'm talking about disk 1 being one folder and disc 2 being a different folder. If I hold the album name, I'll go to the folder for that disc with no good way to jump to the other disc. As far as the software is concerned, they're unrelated. But they're in a common parent folder and will appear alphabetically. If I can drill up and NOT be at the *top* of the parent folder but rather, where the current folder is in the list, the previous folder would be directly above it.

NeilF
2013-03-06, 10:08
OK. Having a couple of problems with the app :(

I'm using this on a 10" android tablet.

1. Navigating lists
When confronted with a list of thousands of artists, albums or tracks, you obviously want to be able to scroll quicky. I find the tiny scroll widget on the right unfriendly and unreliable.

So you jhave to scroll the list for the widget to appear, and then you have about 1-2 second to put a finger on it to use it. Miss that and you're probably just going to click a track by accident.

If you do 'grab it,' you're quite prone, as you slide you're finger up and down the screen, to losing that grasp. Where you again end up clicking on a track instead. This seems to happen particularly when you stop to see where you are... More often than not it fails to allow me to simply scroll up and down a list unless I'm very very careful.

Why not just have a scroll bar ALWAYS displayed down the right, and you can click anywhere you like on it to position yourself in the list. The fancy widget is just that, fancy, but seems to cause unnecessary grief/problems.

2. Playing or adding to play list
So you've got a load of tracks on the screen, and you want to add them to the playlist. You have to go into each one individually, and then selected "+ Add to Playlist". Why not have two buttons next to each entry? A "+" to add to playlist, and a ">" to play now?

So you can add tracks to the play list with a single click, rather than multiple clicks and the faff of going into sub options.

3. Artwork not appearing - RESOLVED!
In searches, some album artwork appears and some does not. I can find all the albums from for an artist, and the first album has art, and the next three do not. Same search in Logitech's free app returns art for all four albums. Indeed, in Orange Squeeze if you play the artless albums, they then show the art in the "Playing" screen(s).

4. Reorganising Playlist
To drag a track into a different position/order, you have to hold the album art. This is tricky if you're right handed as you obscure your entire view. Furthermore your instinct it to be able to grab the line anywhere (eg: on or to the right of the text description), but this alas brings up the options, which you can do by click to the far right of the line anyway?

Allow the line to be picked up from anywhere, and to view options, click to the far right where the arrow implies you should do this.

5. Add options to Playlist
Similar to 2, why not have a cross to remove an item from a play list displayed towards the end of each line, so you can remove an item with a single click?

(1) is an app killers for me... (2) & (3) & (4) & (5) frustrating :(

I understand some of the suggestions about adding options to each song line may not work on smaller interfaces. But on a 7-10" tablet it would easily fit and really speed up/simplify the interface.

EDIT: Forced a complete rescan and album art now appearing.

TheLastMan
2013-03-07, 09:41
OK. Having a couple of problems with the app :(

I'm using this on a 10" android tablet.

1. Navigating lists
When confronted with a list of thousands of artists, albums or tracks, you obviously want to be able to scroll quicky. I find the tiny scroll widget on the right unfriendly and unreliable.

So you have to scroll the list for the widget to appear, and then you have about 1-2 second to put a finger on it to use it. Miss that and you're probably just going to click a track by accident.
This alphabetic scroll bar is brilliant, and one of the main attractions of the app. I really have no problem with it at all, but there you go - we are all different! Logitech's own app has a permanent scroll bar, try that.

2. Playing or adding to play list
So you've got a load of tracks on the screen, and you want to add them to the playlist. You have to go into each one individually, and then selected "+ Add to Playlist". Why not have two buttons next to each entry? A "+" to add to playlist, and a ">" to play now? I can see your point, but the current arrangement means less clutter on the screen and less chance of accidentally pressing the wrong option.

4. Reorganising Playlist
To drag a track into a different position/order, you have to hold the album art. This is tricky if you're right handed as you obscure your entire view. This is a great function I have not seen on the other SB apps, and I don't find it tricky at all (I am right handed). Sure, part of the item is obscured as you drag it but you can see the whole line move, so no biggie. Perhaps you have big fingers or poor fine motor skills?

5. Add options to Playlist
Similar to 2, why not have a cross to remove an item from a play list displayed towards the end of each line, so you can remove an item with a single click? Really, what is this one about? At the moment it is a two click job and you want to make it a one click job? Is that really so frustrating?

I use this on the tiniest Android touch screen phone and those extra options would definitely create an issue with accidentally touching the wrong option. For small phone use this app is laid out very well. The developer could create a different app for tablets. Maybe you should ask nicely!

jimbobvfr400
2013-03-07, 09:58
The only one of the points I agree with is adding to the play list. I really like the way squeeze Commander does this. There's a button at the top which changes what clicking on a track does. So you can set it to play, add to end or play next. Makes adding tracks to play list very easy. I hate it when I accidentally click instead of holding and start a track playing and loose all the tracks I've already added to a play list.

pippin
2013-03-07, 10:56
All of which again just proves the point that a good phone UI and a good tablet UI have to look fundamentally different.
You simply have very different requirements. On the phone you really have to max out on saving screen estate while its relatively easy to use simple single-touch gestures
On a tablet you want to provide more controls and while single-touch gestures are less precise you can also use multi-touch gestures or more complex ones.

NeilF
2013-03-07, 11:10
This alphabetic scroll bar is brilliant, and one of the main attractions of the app. I really have no problem with it at all, but there you go - we are all different!It is nice, but the the fact without use/motion it can accidentally scroll off the screen, means if you do accidentally lose 'grip' of it as you move up/down/stop, you are left with a finger on a track and not scrolling any more. This is an unnecessary frustration.

I'd suggest an option to have the the scroll bar perminantly available down the right part of the screen. So rather than having to scroll to grab it, you can just place your finger where ever you like on it over the vertical range (or slide it) to get to your desired position.

Want to get to the end of the list? At the moment you have to scroll, grab the scroll widget that's now appeared, and then drag it to the bottom. With my sugestion you'd just place your finger at the bottom of the scroll widget. Done! If you want to instead scroll through your music, just slide your finger up and down the scroll bar...

Simple, quicker, easier. Surely that's what we want?

By all means have an option to behave this alternative (simpler) way only if you want to dedicate a tiny part of the screen to constantly displayed scroll widgets.

Logitech's own app has a permanent scroll bar, try that.It does indeed, and is simple and fool proof for it. It works 100% predictably for me.

I can see your point, but the current arrangement means less clutter on the screen and less chance of accidentally pressing the wrong option.Agreed, but with a large screen there's no reason not to offer option to immediately play, add to play list etc on each song.

Again, an option to do this would be great and improve the speed of the app IMHO.

This is a great function I have not seen on the other SB apps, and I don't find it tricky at all (I am right handed). Sure, part of the item is obscured as you drag it but you can see the whole line move, so no biggie. Perhaps you have big fingers or poor fine motor skills?Yes, it's one of my main prerequisites for buying this SB controller! It's great you can pick up a song in your playlist and re-order it, but its not intuitive that you have to grab it by the far left of the line.

I suspect the only reason this "magic area" exists is because "holding" a line (which you'd do for a drag'n'drop) opens up the sub options. I'd argue this isn't necessary, as you can get to the sub options (quicker) by clicking the arrow at the far right of the line. Personally I'd think the whole/majority of the line should work the same. ie: You should be able to drag an drop a song by grabbing hold of the line, and not just a magical area to the far left.

My instinct is to grab the middle/end of the title... Which does not work of course. Here's a suggestion. Offer someone the playlist, and tell them rto re-organise the order. Suspect most people will not be able to work out the 'magic area' for a while :)

This is a minor thing though!

Really, what is this one about? At the moment it is a two click job and you want to make it a one click job? Is that really so frustrating?Agreed, it's minor, but I guess it's more of a general example. Given a bigger screen, there's more space available, so some of the main option currently tucked away in sub menus could be offered on each line.

The most likely thing you want to do with a track in your playlist is:-
a) Drag and drop it. (Which you can do)
b) Play it now. (Single click)
c) Remove it.

To do (c) you have to hold the line, or click at the end of the line, and then you're presented with a screenful of options/information... In the middle of which is "X Remove from playlist". Simply pressing a dedicated X towards the end of the line would be nice. eg: I could remove 5 tracks in less than a second that way.

I use this on the tiniest Android touch screen phone and those extra options would definitely create an issue with accidentally touching the wrong option. For small phone use this app is laid out very well.Absoluetly agreed, and that's why I mentioned at the start we're talking about a full size tablet.

As I said previously, most of these are just (personal) annoyances/preferences. So I generally agree with you that alot of these things are minor in the scheme of things. BUT (1), with the scroller widget, really is painful for me. Just this evening, I was scrolling through a list of tracks, paused to see the list, and voila the widget was 'ungrasped', disappeared, and then as my finger is over a song I get the options appear for this track, which of course I don't want. Not only am I now in sub options I don't want to be in, but I've even lost the widget that's now off the screen. Just have an option to leave a dedicated scroller on the right pllllllleeeeeeaaaasse! :)

NeilF
2013-03-07, 11:15
All of which again just proves the point that a good phone UI and a good tablet UI have to look fundamentally different.
You simply have very different requirements. On the phone you really have to max out on saving screen estate while its relatively easy to use simple single-touch gestures
On a tablet you want to provide more controls and while single-touch gestures are less precise you can also use multi-touch gestures or more complex ones.

Not at all. Most of my suggestions are minor annoyance. The scroller widget is a pain though to be frank. I find I have to nurse it to behave.

If there was option to display a perminent scroller widget down the right - when necessary - it would allow quicker and more reliable navigation for a tiny tiny fraction of the screen space. Just click on it, or slide on it, to get to anywhere in the list instantly.

Most of the other suggestions are just suggesting putting some of the options on each song line that normally you have to access through sub options. And these could all be on an option taken only if you have a larger screen.

NeilF
2013-03-07, 11:29
Another suggestion? - When you return to your now playing list, return to the view you were last in.

So I'm building up a playlist, and can see 5 tracks currently in it, one of which is playing... I return to my search, add another few tracks and go back to my now playing list (by clicking at the bottom of the screen). But by default it returns me to the now playing (track) screen, instead of the now playing list screen I was last on (showing my list of tracks).

So I find every time I return to my now playing list (by clicking at the bottom of the screen), the first I then have to do is click the top of the screen to go to my actual now playing list (again).

Or is there a way to go directly to the now playing list without going unnecessarily through the now playing (track) screen?

pippin
2013-03-07, 11:34
Drag & Drop reordering is not unseen. All iOS Apps (except Logitech's) as well as SqueezeCommander have offered drag&drop reordering of tracks in the current playlist for years.
SqueezeControl on Android does it, too, btw in exactly the way you ask for so it's totally nothing special.

And about adding "just" a few more options to each song line: the Android phone I use with OrangeSqueeze would probably not even have enough space to display all the things you suggested if you removed all the track information. That was exactly my point about phone vs. tablet UI. It's totally fine to add more stuff on a tablet (although I would still believe more buttons would create a very cluttered UI, there's already now a lot of buttons per row) but it's completely not feasible on a small phone screen. I now have 18 characters on average in the first line on a playlist track, if you add another button that would cut out at least 6. So you end up with 12 characters for a line in the title, heck that won't even fit some words.

sbp
2013-03-09, 07:45
Hi

EDIT - NO BUG...
I think I have discovered a bug.

If you connect to a server without any connected player, you are asked if you want to associate a player from another server to the new server. This is very good, however, if you answer yes to that question you change the association for all the players and not only the one you selected.

EDIT - my players were synched, and therefore both players were associated with the new server - sorry for the confusion.

belrik
2013-03-10, 15:42
Hi there. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a notification widget like the music player or the other remotes like xbmc have; where a pause/back/next widget with album art is placed in the notification area? This would be very useful for quick access.

TheLastMan
2013-03-12, 09:37
To db122

Small suggestion. Had you given any thought to making it easier to call up the "Lyrics" tag? I am in the process of adding lyrics data to all my music (automated using Foobar) and at the moment I have to press and hold on the album art to call up a list of items. Viewing the lyrics tag is the 13th item on the list.

Apparently there is a way to do it on iPeng for iOS, perhaps you could look at it and see if it would be worth doing for Android?

Best wishes and thanks for providing this great app!

zzvelik
2013-04-21, 14:11
I have the paid version of the app and would like to know how to play ALL songs in a particular folder and also if there's a way to toggle a RANDOM play option. Thanks

P.S. I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I wonder if Orange Bike Laps tried integrating Grooveshark on this app or not.

Gingernut63
2013-04-21, 16:54
I have the paid version of the app and would like to know how to play ALL songs in a particular folder and also if there's a way to toggle a RANDOM play option. Thanks

From the Main Menu screen select > My Music > Music Folder > Select and hold the folder of choice until the play options box appears > select play.

The shuffle selection is on the Now Playing screen - Two crossed arrows.

Hope this helps

New Daddy
2013-04-30, 06:14
So far, I like what I've seen in Orange Squeeze. There is one shortcoming that makes me hesitate to migrate from Squeeze Commander: an icon in the notification area that will let you quickly access the app from anywhere. Is this in the roadmap?

jimbobvfr400
2013-04-30, 08:56
Using the recent apps button is just the same number of presses and for me at least I find the notification in SC a pain sometimes as the only way to properly quit is to go back to the app and then back out with at least 2 presses of the back button.

If however the notification was to include proper ICS and JB controls like Google music does then yes count me in.

msansoucie
2013-05-01, 11:18
Hello. I'm interested to know if there's a gesture or click to clear the current playlist.

My typical listening model is that I load an album into the playlist and start playing it, and along the way maybe add some more things so the music will continue when the first album is done. Then later on - same day or the next - I'll want to start listening again with different music. But with OrangeSqueeze, so far I've found I need to remove tracks from the playlist one at a time before I can add a new set of music.

I think I could just "Play" the first new item and perhaps that would clear the old playlist, but I don't necessarily want to start playing while I'm still assembling the new list. Clearing the old list first would be most handy.

Also, I've noticed that when I remove items one at a time, I can't remove the last item. That makes my preferred listening model a bit more challenging.

Nice app, though.

jimbobvfr400
2013-05-01, 16:29
Either at the now playing screen or the play list itself press menu - Clear play list.

msansoucie
2013-05-02, 10:31
Either at the now playing screen or the play list itself press menu - Clear play list.

Bingo. I hadn't tried that button in those places. Thanks.

Meridion
2013-05-04, 07:48
Frequently I'm using Squeeze Commander because it displays track ratings in the 'now playing' screen. The stars are touchable to change the rating.
I found out that in Orange Squeeze, ratings can be changed in the pop-up list of the cover art. But this is too complicated and too well hidden for my listening behaviour...

I would appreciate having the song rating displayed either in the playlist(s) and/or the 'now playing' screen...

banned for life
2013-05-06, 19:52
Frequently I'm using Squeeze Commander because it displays track ratings in the 'now playing' screen. The stars are touchable to change the rating.
I found out that in Orange Squeeze, ratings can be changed in the pop-up list of the cover art. But this is too complicated and too well hidden for my listening behaviour...

I would appreciate having the song rating displayed either in the playlist(s) and/or the 'no playing' screen...

Ratings? Why Ratings? Yours? I only have a couple of thousand CD's but I know what I like...

BFL!

Meridion
2013-05-09, 22:52
Ratings? Why Ratings? Yours? I only have a couple of thousand CD's but I know what I like..

My ratings. This is the most simple way of telling LMS which tracks I like. Track ratings allow using dynamic playlists to play my favourite music.
When rating are displayed, I know which tracks I already rated (or not) and I can remember better which tracks I like without having to prelisten them when selecting to play them manually. Maybe my brains are not as perfect as yours, but I don't always remember the titles of my thousands of tracks I like(d)...

For those with perfect brains and those not using ratings I suggested to have track ratings displayed optionally.

socistep
2013-05-26, 16:00
My ratings. This is the most simple way of telling LMS which tracks I like. Track ratings allow using dynamic playlists to play my favourite music.
When rating are displayed, I know which tracks I already rated (or not) and I can remember better which tracks I like without having to prelisten them when selecting to play them manually. Maybe my brains are not as perfect as yours, but I don't always remember the titles of my thousands of tracks I like(d)...

For those with perfect brains and those not using ratings I suggested to have track ratings displayed optionally.

Same for me, I have various top rated dynamic playlists based on rating (decade/genre split etc.), in fact I'm listening to top rated indie as I type this.

Slightly linked, I can't play dynamic playlists from OS, does anyone have this problem?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TheLastMan
2013-05-27, 17:00
I don't tend to make playlists that i keep forever, but I do like to make playlists "on the fly" as I am listening - and then bin the list at the end.

However I have always had problems with all controllers, hardware or apps, where if you accidentally press the track button instead of calling up the sub-menu and choosing "add to end", then the controller / app replaces the whole list with the tracks from the album containing the selected track. In the case of Orange Squeeze you have to hit the little triangle on the right precisely to call up the sub-menu, otherwise you will erase your carefully assembled playlist.

Looking for a way to avoid this I found the "Default Play Mode" under the "Preferences" menu of Orange Squeeze. This gives the following options for the action when a track entry is touched:-
- Prompt
- Play Now
- Play Next
- Add to Playlist (same as "Add to End" in the Logitech Controller menu)

For me the most useful function was "Add to Playlist" which I selected. This meant that I was able to select a sequence of tracks simply by touching each track entry.

What actually happened is that when I touched an entry all the tracks in that album were added to the playlist, not just the track I had touched. I tried this two or three times and the error was repeatable, but not entirely consistent. Sometimes the individual track was added and sometimes the whole album, but in any case the problem made the setting unusable.

My workaround has been to use the "Prompt" function which brings up the sub-menu when I touch a track, from which I can choose the "Add to Playlist" option (which works as expected). This is less error prone than trying to hit the little triangle precisely but I would still prefer to use the "Add to Playlist" option if it worked reliably.

jimbobvfr400
2013-05-28, 03:09
That's the main thing reason I haven't switched exclusively to Orange Squeeze and still use squeeze commander as well.

Although SC doesn't appear to be under development any more and the UI is initially confusing before you get the hang of it it works very well for just this type of playlist creation. I still tend to use orange squeeze the rest of the time though.

This screen shot illustrates what I mean, on any list of tracks in SC you have an icon at the top that has a drop down menu where you can select what action tapping a track does.

(Mmm Tapatalk doesn't seem to want to add a screenshot without giving an error, I'll add the image later when I get to a pc)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

slartibartfast
2013-07-12, 15:57
This is quite annoying. When toggling "Don't stop the music" in the Smart Mix plugin under Smart Mix Options, Orange Squeeze takes nearly 60 seconds on my Galaxy S.

pippin
2013-07-12, 16:06
That's not OrangeSqueeze's fault, the plugin doesn't correctly update the menu.

mherger
2013-07-14, 22:49
> That's not OrangeSqueeze's fault, the plugin doesn't correctly update
> the menu.

Could you please explain what effect you're seeing there?

--

Michael

mherger
2013-07-15, 00:26
>> That's not OrangeSqueeze's fault, the plugin doesn't correctly update
>> the menu.
>
> Could you please explain what effect you're seeing there?

Heh... interesting: it's working in SP only?!? I'm seeing the issue even
in our own SB Controller app...

--

Michael

pippin
2013-07-15, 00:46
And in iPeng. SP and SqueezePad work fine.
I didn't look into the details but I suspect you are sending some weird combination of command and nextWindow parameter.

Should I have a look at it?

slartibartfast
2013-07-15, 00:48
>> That's not OrangeSqueeze's fault, the plugin doesn't correctly update
>> the menu.
>
> Could you please explain what effect you're seeing there?

Heh... interesting: it's working in SP only?!? I'm seeing the issue even
in our own SB Controller app...

--

Michael

In Orange Squeeze if you exit from the page with the Smart Mix options and then reenter it you can see that the setting has indeed changed immediately but if you stay on the page you see the spinning circle for a minute.

mherger
2013-07-15, 01:01
> In Orange Squeeze if you exit from the page with the Smart Mix options
> and then reenter it you can see that the setting has indeed changed
> immediately but if you stay on the page you see the spinning circle for
> a minute.

Yes, the bug only hits the menu representation, not the actual setting.
The menu should be refreshed, but isn't in some cases.

--

Michael

mherger
2013-07-15, 01:08
> Should I have a look at it?

Thanks for the offer. I've found the problem: I didn't call a callback in
the plugin. Why this wouldn't bother SP, I don't know.

--

Michael

seren
2013-07-20, 01:34
Wondering whether we will see an update of this app, been quite a while.

I like the app a lot, but there are 2 features I'd love to see added:
- Controls in notifications (and on password protected lock screen)
- Daydream mode (showing current track, artwork and controls)

bwaldron
2013-07-20, 05:46

Yeah, I hope we haven't seen another disappearing developer...but things have been too quiet.

Wirrunna
2013-07-23, 18:47

It's July - in the bike world everything stops for "le Tour" ! (http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/)

In this case it is " Le Tour de West Wisconsin" - http://orangebikelabs.com/orange-bike-labs-is-going-on-tour/ - they'll be back.

slartibartfast
2013-07-24, 01:10
In this case it is " Le Tour de West Wisconsin" - http://orangebikelabs.com/orange-bike-labs-is-going-on-tour/ - they'll be back.

I'm sure they will but that tour was last year :-)

Wirrunna
2013-07-24, 03:45
I'm sure they will but that tour was last year :-)

Oops!

Wombat
2013-08-02, 11:15
Let's hope they didn't lose interest due to dropping sale numbers because to many found out how to use the preview without restrictions. Really looking forward to a tablet optimized layout.

pippin
2013-08-02, 14:11
Hasn't that always been a problem with Android? Sales are dropping because no Squeezeboxes are being sold anymore and a lot of potential users already have the App.

Wombat
2013-08-02, 14:16
Don't know but lately Android devices flood all over even in discounters and supermarkets. This could have boosted sales a bit lately. At least me belongs to that newly customers.

pippin
2013-08-02, 14:32
Sure. But even before that happened 75% of Android users never ever paid for an App, not sure that gets better with moving towards the cheaper end of the market...
But then I don't really know. What I do know, though, is that even on iOS almost nobody really makes money with Apps themselves (outside of games; I'm talking about App revenue as opposed to contracting or having an App that supports a broader business) and those who do are usually independent developers, rarely do you have enough revenue to support a whole company.
All Android developers I know still tell me, things are much worse on Android and if you want to make any money go free and Adds instead of selling.
Add to that the very niche characteristic of the Squeezebox market and I don't think anybody is in there for the money alone.

Wombat
2013-08-02, 14:42
I don't want to speculate to much about the motivations and rentability behind Orange bikes but hope the makers have some love for Squeezebox users left to keep it alive.
Like mentioned before i wonder why they left a backdoor to run the preview as full version without buying the main app.

Wombat
2013-09-04, 10:09
It lives! Today preview 2.0.0 added big cover art making it looking great on tablets. Album overview getting slow here therefore i guess.

edit: maybe a bug, when touching the artist in "Now Playing" view it jumps to some menu and not to the albums overview of the artist.

maggior
2013-09-04, 11:23
I got the updated preview yesterday too. I like the larger album art on the tablet and the side pullout menus for the players and stuff. I also like the side swipe to get to the current playlist.

The release notes said that there will be some configurability with the tablet views, which will be nice.

I was surprised because I really thought it was the end of the line with updates...which given the state of the squeezebox would have been understandable.

Regarding the comments by Pipping about making money writing apps - I always wondered about that. It boggles my mind that you pay once for an app and get free updates forever. As a customer, it's great, but it must be hard for developers. It's pretty sad that the way to make money is to give it away for free and put ads in it.

mkkyah
2013-09-04, 11:55
I got the 2.0 preview today and I liked the improvements like swipe menus, new players button, better now playing etc. I couldn't find any bug or new problem.

But one problem still exist. It's impossible to delete a Deezer track from the playlist. I don't know other online service's menus, but Deezer context menu brings no "delete from playlist" option. You can drag tracks, but not delete. Maybe an edit option for playlists is necessary for similar situations.

Nice to see development...

bwaldron
2013-09-04, 11:56
Very good news (and nice improvements)

pinkdot
2013-09-04, 13:26
Very nice update this is. Does anyone know how to add artist pictures? Would be a nice to have.

mkkyah
2013-09-04, 16:20
I have checked both versions, context menu items like more info, song lyrics, show artwork, last fm... not working with preview 2.0

adhawkins
2013-09-07, 13:31
Not having much luck with the latest versions.

In both Preview and Release, I can no longer access player alarms.In Preview, it seems the only thing I can do from the player menu is select a player.

In Preview, there's a very annoying issue whereby whenever I start it up, it seems to start a random album mix on whichever player I last selected (the first screen it goes to is the one you get after selecting a random album mix, I suspect that's why).

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Andy

Wombat
2013-09-07, 16:42
It often crashes on startup and coverart in Now Playing often loads forever. Some other minor quirks but the new ideas are great! Still wonder why tipping on the artist in Now Playing leads me to another menue instead of the artist album overview. Reinstalled preview 1.4.0 and already miss the big coverart.

ModelCitizen
2013-09-07, 21:53
Much as i like it Orange Squeeze has never been able to automatically detect my server, unlike the Logitech offering which finds it pretty quickly. It works better if I hard code the IP into Orange but still it's connects to the vserver slowly and the connection unreliable. Sadly I find I use the (otherwise inferior) Logitech offering instead, just because it usually connects first time (and quickly too).

The new version of Orange Squeeze has not improved in this respect.

My Squeeze set up is pretty bog standard. Hosted on hard-wired Windows 7 machine with all other players and controllers connected wirelessly.

sbp
2013-09-08, 05:33
Hi thanks for the update, and i already got som minor bug fixes. Many of the crashes have been dealt with, and for me it is now working better than ever. The server connection is much faster than before.

Wombat
2013-09-08, 08:23
Much as i like it Orange Squeeze has never been able to automatically detect my server, unlike the Logitech offering which finds it pretty quickly. It works better if I hard code the IP into Orange but still it's connects to the vserver slowly and the connection unreliable. Sadly I find I use the (otherwise inferior) Logitech offering instead, just because it usually connects first time (and quickly too).

The new version of Orange Squeeze has not improved in this respect.

My Squeeze set up is pretty bog standard. Hosted on hard-wired Windows 7 machine with all other players and controllers connected wirelessly.
Here it connects a while every time i open it also. Squeezer for example connects instantly.

pinkdot
2013-09-08, 10:05
I use it in combination with my Synology NAS. There is no difference indelay between the official Lms app and orange.
i lke it better then the lms app. Most of all the maintenance option. With the latest version the UI has improved big time.

countryman69
2013-09-11, 06:14
Trying to buy Orange Squeeze and keep getting 'Error while retrieving information from server [BM-PPH-01]'

Buying stuff from PlayStore has been fine a few moments ago buying something else. Can't find any link to contact Google Play Store to see if it is their problem or Orange Squeeze to see if it down to them.

bomboloni
2013-09-14, 14:03
Great to see a new update is coming to Orange Squeeze. The large icons are excellent, and moving between screens is very snappy. I found a few issues, but I assume these are probably things that are further down the list that you already know about. I am using this on my 2013 Nexus 7.

1. If I long press a song and choose "show artwork" I only get a thumbnail rather than a full screen image.
2. Using the Music and Artist Information plugin, when I chose either Album Information or Artist Information it simply gives me a playlist of the the same song three times, and if I click on one of the songs, that produces an even longer playlist of the same song multiple times.
3. There is also one bug in version 1.3.7 I hope can be fixed in the new version. When accessing the Album or Artist Information using the Music and Artist plugin, there is a "/n/n" where there should be a line break.

Keep up the great work.

Nonreality
2013-09-27, 15:03
Trying to buy Orange Squeeze and keep getting 'Error while retrieving information from server [BM-PPH-01]'

Buying stuff from PlayStore has been fine a few moments ago buying something else. Can't find any link to contact Google Play Store to see if it is their problem or Orange Squeeze to see if it down to them.

Go to the Android settings and then Apps. Find Play Store and clear the cache. This helps with a lot of download and install problems. Not every time mind you.

vma
2013-09-30, 02:53
Perhaps stupid question, but I do not how to add all my favorite songs to a playlist. Or how to make a playlist from my favorites in "easy" way. As far as I know it is possible tp do it by clicking on each song. The click open a menu and it is very "time demanding". Thank you.

Wombat
2013-10-02, 02:33
Installed the preview again and the 30.09 version runs much smoother as the earlier versions i tried. Very nice! The coverart in "Now Playing" has some light vertical pattern but it loads much faster now.

pinkdot
2013-10-02, 10:36
Perhaps stupid question, but I do not how to add all my favorite songs to a playlist. Or how to make a playlist from my favorites in "easy" way. As far as I know it is possible tp do it by clicking on each song. The click open a menu and it is very "time demanding". Thank you.

Another way is ot install the extgui4lms as a plugin. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98186-Announce-Alternative-Web-Interface-(beta)

Ones launched, you can drag all your favorites into the playing list and save it as a playlist. :)

vma
2013-10-03, 04:48
Another way is ot install the extgui4lms as a plugin. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98186-Announce-Alternative-Web-Interface-(beta)

Ones launched, you can drag all your favorites into the playing list and save it as a playlist. :)

Thank you. The problem is, that I run Squeezebox Touch with HDD, I do not use a computer or NAS for streaming.

Peter Galbavy
2013-10-04, 08:37
I'm lost in the preview... is there anyway to get a LIST in the tablet version? I can only see a grid and cannot find a menu option / setting to switch to list - I don't have enough art work over 2000+ albums to want a grid.

marflao
2013-10-13, 23:34
I'm lost in the preview... is there anyway to get a LIST in the tablet version? I can only see a grid and cannot find a menu option / setting to switch to list - I don't have enough art work over 2000+ albums to want a grid.

Yep...would be my wish, too.
And.....maybe it would also be possible to change the size of the album covers manually? ;-)

In addition to that new uploaded albums arenīt shown automatically. Once I start Orange Squeeze and choose "New Music" I still need to use the "Refresh" option to be able to see them.
Donīt know if this a bug but would be great if this can be fixed (or implemented) anyways.

Besides that ....I like the app :-)

Cheers,
marflao

P.S.: I use the app with a Nexus 7 (2012 model).

elziko
2013-10-16, 04:00
Hi,

I am trying to connect to my LMS from my mobile phone in the UK on the 02 network. Squeeze Commander doesn't seem to work. I was wondering if anyone using Orange Squeeze is able to connect (02 users only!)? I would just try it but there is no trial version of Orange Squeeze.

TIA

pinkdot
2013-10-16, 07:21
Hi,

I am trying to connect to my LMS from my mobile phone in the UK on the 02 network. Squeeze Commander doesn't seem to work. I was wondering if anyone using Orange Squeeze is able to connect (02 users only!)? I would just try it but there is no trial version of Orange Squeeze.

TIA

Can you connect to the LMS browser on your phone? Please if this is working to make sure you can connect to LMS.

elziko
2013-10-16, 07:29
Can you connect to the LMS browser on your phone? Please if this is working to make sure you can connect to LMS.

Yes, I can connect via a browser but apparently it doesn't automatically follow that Squeeze Commander or Orannge Squeeze would then also be able to work. See this post and its reply:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?69352-ANNOUNCE-SqueezeCommander-0-9-for-Android&p=759542&viewfull=1#post759542

banned for life
2013-10-16, 10:02
I am unable to connect over-the-air using OrangeSqueeze 1.3.7 (WIFI OFF OR ON) I can connect using Chrome. Hardware is Nexus 4 w/latest updates. Squeezeplayer asks to turn-on wifi and if I decline, indicates "3g connected"-- server shows LGE Nexus 4 as a player.

Anyone else with this issue?

B F L

soundcheck
2013-10-24, 04:51
Hi there.

I'm using Orange Squeeze Preview for some weeks now. I do kind of like it. Mainly because of the coverart browser. There's nothing else like that on Android.

Though I do think there is quite some improvement potential with Orange Squeeze.

I used to use iPeng. Which is IMO still state of the art. By a large margin.

However, I'm now on Android and Pippin refuses to launch iPeng for Android. He could have made another fortune. ;)

That's why I would like to express some issues and improvment proposals:

1. Pretty inconistant layout.

Playback controls general:

Controls you'll find on the bottom bar right, then somewhere else (playback) inside a field, in another window (e.g. playlist) they are missing.

Why can't you make the controls visible at the same place all the time.

This is really annyoing. Especially if you have to access a control quickly.

I also don't like the two-stage (click the volume symbol and then access the bar at a (far off) different place) volume control.
Have a look at iPeng. These guys have realized that the key functions are volume control, start and stop, next and prev. And these functions require direct access (one-click) all the time.

The Orange Squeeze implementation is lightyears back on this.

Progressbar: You could put the progress-bar somewhere else ( or introduce an option to turn it off) . It's importance is rather questionable.
Beside that when pushing controls it easily happens that you even push the progressbar by accident. This is another pretty weak point.

As a beginning you could e.g. replace progress with volume control.

Note: If you look at the playback menu (landscape), why can't you list Album,track,artist centered in the right text field!?!? Having it at the top looks not very nice.

2. Switching menus

The way I have to switch from album-selection to playback back and forth is inconsistent and annyoing.
You can use the android-back, the top-bar-back (redundant!), and even the home-menu.
I do consider all this implementation pretty weak. Working with swipes and zones would be much better.

3. Bars, menus,buttons

The way to access certain areas is more then inconsistant. The home menu I can access by swipe-right on left side. The playlist I have to push a tiny button on the top bar now ( Why did you change it to the worse just recently !?!?)

I do think working with two bars (top bottom) and swipes and Android controls is overkill. Get rid of the top bar at least. Please. Keep it simple and efficient.

"Settings" you can put into the home menu, which is accessible with swipe-right.
And "Back" on the top-bar-left is kind of redundant to "Android-back" anyhow.

How about introducing more swipe functions?? From playback window swipe-left gets me to the playlist, swipe-right to the song-selection (instead of top-bar-left button)

4. Home menu customizations

1. The "pin-to" home menu function is not working correctly. I can not remove and add all the items to the menu.
2. I can not change the order of the home menu items. The first entry in the list is the default start page entry. That I figured out accidently.
By accident (by pin and unpin certain functions) I managed to move menu entries around. This way I managed to define my own default start page ( e.g. favorites)
You might have a look at this strange behaviour. It's probably a bug. Though I really like to have that home menu and start page customizable.

5. "All Album" view

At the end of the and album list/summary view you offer an "All Album" view.
That means that I have to go down hundreds of CDs to click that "All Album" function, which basically finally lists the albums in a "proper" and "complete" way.

Have a look at iPeng. They put "All Album" choice on top of the displayed list for a reason! Please consider to change this.

6. Color scheme

Would be nice if I could change the color of the control bar from brown/orange to black or something else. I know it's matter of taste.

So this was a first write up. I hope I'll see some changes sooner or later.

Keep up the good work. With the album browser it's imo still the best squeeze controller app on Android.

Cheers

GothsterC
2013-10-28, 11:21
I've been using the Preview on my Android phone and never came across the cover art browser. I assume that the app looks at the device and limits it to tablets only. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps I have a different issue. The strange thing is that I also use BlueStacks on my Windows tablet with the app setting to "Tablet," and still don't see this option. Has anyone tried the Preview using BlueStacks and has gotten the cover art browser option?

bomboloni
2013-10-28, 12:58
I think that is the case. I use Orange Squeeze Preview on both my phone (Galaxy Nexus) and my 7" tablet (Nexus 7). On the tablet I get a 3x3 grid of albums when I choose My Music/Albums. However on the phone it is single column with thumbnails of albums on the left and the album title and artist to the right.

slartibartfast
2013-11-06, 14:25
One big advantage Squeezecommander has over Orange Squeeze is the ability to play "all tracks" when viewing the list of album tracks. I know it is possible to change a preference in LMS to play one track or following tracks when selecting a track to play but having this set to play following tracks causes problems when creating playlists consisting of single tracks. Having an option to play the whole album from the track list would be a lot more intuitive for casual users than returning to the album list then long pressing before selecting play. Would it be possible to add this feature?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ModelCitizen
2013-11-06, 15:55
I'm in agreement with this. Currently after listing the tracks in an album I have to go back a screen to long press on the album name to select 'play'. It's a bit clunky. A 'play all' item from the track listing would be handy.

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-07, 05:04
I know it's essentially copying SqueezeCommander but I'd prefer an option on the track list page to quickly switch what clicking on a track does, for example play or add to end. That way clicking on a track can respect the play all setting without a problem and you just select the option for add to end and click the track if that's your desired action.

I think that makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mark Miksis
2013-11-11, 19:04
Anyone running Orange Squeeze on KitKat yet? Any issues?

hellnick
2013-11-17, 01:58
Anyone running Orange Squeeze on KitKat yet? Any issues?

Maybe. I mean I am running Orange Squeeze on KitKat but I'm not sure if the issues are related to KitKat, Orange Squeeze
or my brief experiment with ART rather than Dalvik. Switched to ART and everything seemed fine until I tried to access music using Orange Squeeze and the app just froze- switched back to Dalvik and the problem remained. I didn't try accessing my music before trying ART so don't know for sure if that caused the problem.

Fortunately while looking for a solution I found Orange Squeeze Preview, so I got that going for me.

Mark Miksis
2013-11-17, 08:38
I've been running Orange Squeeze Preview for a few days on a Nexus 7 with Kit Kat. No problems so far.

Peter Galbavy
2013-11-19, 09:16
The most recent preview release includes the advanced option to set list vs grid view. Yay! :)

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-19, 09:42
The most recent preview release includes the advanced option to set list vs grid view. Yay! :)

Does that work on smaller phone device as well as on tablets.

Sent from my Ascend Y300 using Tapatalk

kidstypike
2013-11-19, 11:54
Does that work on smaller phone device as well as on tablets.

Yes, works on both: > Preferences > Advanced > Browse Column Count > options are:

Always use lists for browsing
etc..

Edit: However on my phone, selecting 2 columns just shows 1 column on the right of screen, left side is blank.
Selecting 3 columns works, but you can't see the Artist name, all you get is e.g. "The M...." "Peter ..." etc..

Everything seems to work on my Nexus 7.

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-19, 12:48
Guess it might be a resolution or DPI thing, its fine on my phone.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/20/by3a7aza.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/20/byvazy2u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/20/5yqusuna.jpg

local.bin
2013-11-20, 06:57
Great app, thanks for the continued development :)

Like using the very stable preview version the most.

slartibartfast
2013-11-21, 16:12
I've been running Orange Squeeze Preview for a few days on a Nexus 7 with Kit Kat. No problems so far.

Just updated my 2012 Nexus 7 to kit kat and Orange Squeeze initially worked but after rebooting the device it crashes every time I try to access Artists, Albums etc. This applies to preview version as well.

Mark Miksis
2013-11-21, 16:35
Just updated my 2012 Nexus 7 to kit kat and Orange Squeeze initially worked but after rebooting the device it crashes every time I try to access Artists, Albums etc. This applies to preview version as well.

The 1.x version hangs/crashes for me too, but I didn't notice until I just tested it now. I use the 2.x preview and have no problems with either KRT16O or KRT16S.

slartibartfast
2013-11-21, 16:37
The 1.x version hangs/crashes for me too, but I didn't notice until I just tested it now. I use the 2.x preview and have no problems with either KRT16O or KRT16S.

Preview worked for me at first but now I can't even start it. Off topic I also seem to have lost all my SMS messages.

slartibartfast
2013-11-21, 16:42
Preview worked for me at first but now I can't even start it. Off topic I also seem to have lost all my SMS messages.

I'm being stupid now SMS never existed, WIFI only!!

slartibartfast
2013-11-21, 16:50

Orange Squeeze official version has just updated to 2.x and seems to work. Maybe that is why preview stopped working.

Wirrunna
2013-11-21, 22:40
Orange Squeeze official version has just updated to 2.x and seems to work. Maybe that is why preview stopped working.

Orange Squeeze now displays local artwork (other .mpg files in the album folder) requires a recent version of LMS 7.8 and the Music & Artist ifnormation plugin.
Works really well on my Nexus 7, supports pinch expand of the image so its easy to read scanned booklets etc.

radish112
2013-11-22, 07:49
One big advantage Squeezecommander has over Orange Squeeze is the ability to play "all tracks" when viewing the list of album tracks. I know it is possible to change a preference in LMS to play one track or following tracks when selecting a track to play but having this set to play following tracks causes problems when creating playlists consisting of single tracks. Having an option to play the whole album from the track list would be a lot more intuitive for casual users than returning to the album list then long pressing before selecting play. Would it be possible to add this feature?

Hi.

I recently bought a Nexus 7 tablet and installed Orange Squeeze. The apparent inability to play all tunes within an album, rather than playing each tune in the playlist on a one-at-a-time basis, was bugging me.

I don't know if I would have ever figured out how to a play an entire album if I hadn't seen your post.

Did you stumble on this "trick" on your own, or is there an Orange Squeeze "tips and tricks" web page or help file that I obviously haven't stumbled on?

Thanks.

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-22, 09:14
Hi.

I recently bought a Nexus 7 tablet and installed Orange Squeeze. The apparent inability to play all tunes within an album, rather than playing each tune in the playlist on a one-at-a-time basis, was bugging me.

I don't know if I would have ever figured out how to a play an entire album if I hadn't seen your post.

Did you stumble on this "trick" on your own, or is there an Orange Squeeze "tips and tricks" web page or help file that I obviously haven't stumbled on?

Thanks.

You can change the tap action settings in the preferences which will then play an album when tapping the first track. It does make it extremely likely you'll lose a carefully crafted playlist you've spent a while compiling. I find Squeeze Commander to have a much better mechanism for this, although Orange Squeeze I'd superior in every other respect.

radish112
2013-11-22, 11:31
You can change the tap action settings in the preferences which will then play an album when tapping the first track. It does make it extremely likely you'll lose a carefully crafted playlist you've spent a while compiling. I find Squeeze Commander to have a much better mechanism for this, although Orange Squeeze I'd superior in every other respect.

Cool...done and done...many thanks

Peter Galbavy
2013-11-26, 10:24
Can't find that option. The options I get are "Prompt", "Play Now", "Play Next", "Add to playlist" - is this the option or is there another one?

Stoker
2013-11-26, 10:51
Hi

Been using Orange Squeeze for ages, it's the best out there in my opinion. I have a query or possibly a feature request.

Whilst working I tend to use Random Album Mix to provide background listening. Sometimes, as is to be expected, the album selected doesn't suite my current mood. Is there someway I can easily, from the now playing screen, jump to a new album? If this functionality already exists, could someone explain how to do it? The >>| button jumps to the next track as you'd expect. Maybe, long pressing the >>| button or left swipe on the album art could be made to jump to next album?

Thanks for reading!

pinkdot
2013-11-26, 11:08
Hi

Been using Orange Squeeze for ages, it's the best out there in my opinion. I have a query or possibly a feature request.

Whilst working I tend to use Random Album Mix to provide background listening. Sometimes, as is to be expected, the album selected doesn't suite my current mood. Is there someway I can easily, from the now playing screen, jump to a new album? If this functionality already exists, could someone explain how to do it? The >>| button jumps to the next track as you'd expect. Maybe, long pressing the >>| button or left swipe on the album art could be made to jump to next album?

Thanks for reading!

You could try if Smart Mix is the better plugin. It creates an play list on the go. After several numbers played the new songs to the list are added. If a song doen' t match your mood, just jump to the next song on the playlist.

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-26, 11:10
+1 for smart mix. Excellent plugin

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

Stoker
2013-11-26, 11:38
You could try if Smart Mix is the better plugin. It creates an play list on the go. After several numbers played the new songs to the list are added. If a song doen' t match your mood, just jump to the next song on the playlist.

Can't actually figure out how to install Smart Mix, it's not in the list in my server settings/plugins page. However after reading the web page for the plugin it might not do what I want. I definitely want to play whole albums but skip to another album if the one selected randomly doesn't match my mood.

--ian

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-27, 09:47
Can't actually figure out how to install Smart Mix, it's not in the list in my server settings/plugins page. However after reading the web page for the plugin it might not do what I want. I definitely want to play whole albums but skip to another album if the one selected randomly doesn't match my mood.

--ian

You're correct that isn't what smartmix does.

If you do want to try it make sure the extension downloader plugin is enabled.

mherger
2013-11-27, 09:59
>> Can't actually figure out how to install Smart Mix, it's not in the list
>> in my server settings/plugins page. However after reading the web page
>> for the plugin it might not do what I want. I definitely want to play
>> whole albums but skip to another album if the one selected randomly
>> doesn't match my mood.

I usually just jump back, as most of the time the RandomMix menu is where
I started the random album mix. From there I select the album mix again,
and it would start another album.

--

Michael

Stoker
2013-11-28, 04:58
I usually just jump back, as most of the time the RandomMix menu is where
I started the random album mix. From there I select the album mix again,
and it would start another album.

2 clicks and it's playing a different album, thanks Michael. Thanks also for the other suggestions.

Skyhawk
2013-12-03, 02:59
Hi there. At the weekend, I downloaded both the preview and "regular" versions of Orange Squeeze to my Google Nexus 7. It looks great and seems very smooth. However, the app only seems to display the list-view. I've played around with the number of columns but I can't get the grid-view to appear. Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed?

Thanks,
Eamonn

Mark Miksis
2013-12-03, 08:49
Hi there. At the weekend, I downloaded both the preview and "regular" versions of Orange Squeeze to my Google Nexus 7. It looks great and seems very smooth. However, the app only seems to display the list-view. I've played around with the number of columns but I can't get the grid-view to appear. Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed?

Preferences->Advanced->Browse Column Count

And yes, I agree, this is not an intuitive place to find this.

Nonreality
2013-12-07, 02:56
Just tried using the download feature and wow! The speed was much faster than using ES Explorer and Air Droid. I thought the progress bar was showing 1 track and kept waiting for it to update and the entire album was actually done.

Nonreality
2013-12-07, 03:04
Preferences->Advanced->Browse Column Count

And yes, I agree, this is not an intuitive place to find this.

Thanks I was trying to find list view and saw that and thought.. no. While I like the appearance of grid view I really like the speed of list view.

slartibartfast
2013-12-08, 09:17
Does anyone know what "Disable artist artwork" does in advanced settings? Doesn't seem to do anything on my Nexus 7.

pippin
2013-12-08, 10:04
Then you probably don't have the MusicArtistInformation plugin installed :)

slartibartfast
2013-12-08, 11:44
Then you probably don't have the MusicArtistInformation plugin installed :)

I do but artist artwork appears whether I tick that box or not.

pinkdot
2013-12-08, 12:00
I do but artist artwork appears whether I tick that box or not.

Is happening to me too. I think this is a remaining of a previous feature, seperat from the music information plugin. Even disableling the pictures in the plugin settings will not prevent them from showing.

Edit: after a restart it did removed all the artist pictures.

Nonreality
2013-12-08, 18:43
What does the MusicArtistInformation plugin do?

Wirrunna
2013-12-08, 20:14
What does the MusicArtistInformation plugin do?

It displays info about the music and artist from the 'net and local artwork (scans of the booklet, back of the cd etc) if you have jpg files in the currently playing directory.
Needs a recent version of LMS 7.8 , then works really well on your Nexus 7 in Orange Squeeze.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99537-Announce-Music-amp-Artist-Information-plugin

slartibartfast
2013-12-09, 02:49
Is happening to me too. I think this is a remaining of a previous feature, seperat from the music information plugin. Even disableling the pictures in the plugin settings will not prevent them from showing.

Edit: after a restart it did removed all the artist pictures.

A restart of the server?

pinkdot
2013-12-09, 14:24
A restart of the server?

No, disable the pitures in LMS, go to the advanced settings in LMS, lookup music and artis information plugin.
Set to ' don't show pictures'

Then go to orange squeeze, in the right top menu click prefrences, then ' wipe cache' .
Then gomtonthe home screen of orange squeeze and click on ' artists'
Now select again the top right menu, click 'refresh'
Now all you pictures should be gone

:)

Nonreality
2013-12-09, 19:16
It displays info about the music and artist from the 'net and local artwork (scans of the booklet, back of the cd etc) if you have jpg files in the currently playing directory.
Needs a recent version of LMS 7.8 , then works really well on your Nexus 7 in Orange Squeeze.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99537-Announce-Music-amp-Artist-Information-plugin

I'll have to check what version I'm running and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

slartibartfast
2013-12-28, 09:58
I have the default action when selecting a track set to "Prompt". What would be the expected response when i tap on a track? I have some albums where tapping gives four choices
Add to end
Play track
Play next
Play all tracks

This is the response I would expect but I only see it on a small number of albums. The others respond as though I had long pressed the track or tapped the triangle and show a much longer list. The preview and release versions act differently as well. An album which gives me the above four choices on the release version gives the long list on the preview version. This seems like a bug to me.

jimbobvfr400
2013-12-28, 18:37
What version of LMS are you using, 7.8 by any chance?

I think the 4 option menu you describe is the one you get when the defeat destructive play option is enabled, this only happens if already playing something. The longer menu is the normal one you get with that option set in OrangeSqueeze when nothing is playing.

slartibartfast
2013-12-29, 03:31
What version of LMS are you using, 7.8 by any chance?

I think the 4 option menu you describe is the one you get when the defeat destructive play option is enabled, this only happens if already playing something. The longer menu is the normal one you get with that option set in OrangeSqueeze when nothing is playing.

I am using 7.8. Like I said, very few albums give the 4 option menu which is really what you want to see when you are being prompted for a play mode. If you really want to see all the other (guest confusing) choices you would tap the triangle.

jimbobvfr400
2013-12-29, 08:43
As I say I honestly don't believe the 4 option menu is generated by Orange Squeeze itself it's the defeat destructive play option in LMS 7.8.

I can get both versions depending on the contents of the now playing play list but it is incredibly inconsistent and seemingly easily confused.

For this reason I actually normally have play as the default option.

With the various options I have set in LMS this means if nothing is already playing then tapping a track plays it and continues playing the rest of the album. If I then tap a different track while still playing I then get the 4 option list you mention.

Before I upgraded to 7.8 I only got the long list if prompt was the selected default.

I actually think it's possible to get the exact behaviour you want.

Set Orange Squeeze to default to play. Don't use the prompt option at all
Set the option in LMS to "always ask before playing your selection"

In theory this should do what you want.

slartibartfast
2013-12-29, 08:55
As I say I honestly don't believe the 4 option menu is generated by Orange Squeeze itself it's the defeat destructive play option in LMS 7.8.

I can get both versions depending on the contents of the now playing play list but it is incredibly inconsistent and seemingly easily confused.

With the various options I have set in LMS this means if nothing is already playing then tapping a track plays it and continues playing the rest of the album. If I then tap a different track while still playing I then get the 4 option list you mention.

Before I upgraded to 7.8 I only got the long list if prompt was the selected default.

I'll try what you suggest. The only reason i would like the 4 options even if nothing is playing is to have the option of playing all tracks. In LMS I select the setting to play only single tracks to make it easier to build playlists.

slartibartfast
2013-12-29, 09:05
I'll try what you suggest. The only reason i would like the 4 options even if nothing is playing is to have the option of playing all tracks. In LMS I select the setting to play only single tracks to make it easier to build playlists.

Hmm if i just select the default option in Orange Squeeze to play that is exactly what happens. Every time i select a new track the playlist is replaced by the new track with no option menu appearing. How do i set LMS to ask every time? I can't remember seeing that setting.

slartibartfast
2013-12-29, 09:22
Hmm if i just select the default option in Orange Squeeze to play that is exactly what happens. Every time i select a new track the playlist is replaced by the new track with no option menu appearing. How do i set LMS to ask every time? I can't remember seeing that setting.

I found the setting but it didn't change how Orange Squeeze responded. Selecting a new track still replaces the playing track. I'm not really sure how LMS settings interact with third party apps.

slartibartfast
2013-12-30, 12:43

If I use the prompt option then select a track i get the long list of options. If i then select "album" I see the list of album tracks again. If I now select my track again I see the 4 option list which I prefer. I would be surprised if that was the intended functionality.

jimbobvfr400
2013-12-30, 13:08
OK so I've tried this myself.

I set Orange Squeeze to play as the default action.

In the LMS Web interface I've set the defeat destructive play option to always (settings > player)

And as expected when tapping a track I get the 4 options as shown

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/31/e3ymypeq.jpg

I have noticed the play all tracks option doesn't do anything but the options do appear as I thought they would above. I've got no idea why yours isn't working the same, how old is your version of 7.8? I'm not sure when the destructive play options were added to 7.8 but it might be worth upgrading to the latest nightly.

slartibartfast
2013-12-30, 13:38

In the LMS Web interface I've set the defeat destructive play option to always (settings > player)

I have noticed the play all tracks option doesn't do anything but the options do appear as I thought they would above. I've got no idea why yours isn't working the same, how old is your version of 7.8? I'm not sure when the destructive play options were added to 7.8 but it might be worth upgrading to the latest nightly.

That is weird. If I set Orange Squeeze to play as default and LMS destructive play options to always ask, when I tap a track it plays immediately even when another track is playing. My 7.8 is only a week or so old.

slartibartfast
2013-12-30, 13:57

Even more weird I've tried your settings on my phone and i also see the 4 options AND Play all tracks works. But still no joy on my Nexus 7.

slartibartfast
2013-12-30, 14:26
Even more weird I've tried your settings on my phone and i also see the 4 options AND Play all tracks works. But still no joy on my Nexus 7.

I've finally got it working on the Nexus 7 by clearing the cache.

jimbobvfr400
2013-12-30, 14:28
Well to my mind that narrows it down to an issue on the nexus. Just a thought but have you tried clearing the apps data and/or uninstalling the app on the Nexus. Maybe also try the preview version if you haven't already.

One other thought, are you controlling an external player or Squeezeplay on the device, anis it the same device if external?

Edit: just noticed while typing my reply that you'd tried pretty much my suggestion :-)

willcycle
2014-01-05, 03:25
Here is an odd issue using LMS 7.8. When I use Orange Squeeze on my Google Nexus 7 to browse new music, or browse my collection by album, artwork is visible. If I browse by artist very few items have visible artwork, however, if you select an artist to look at the albums all artwork is visible for that artist. I have noticed of the visible artwork all the visible ones are of music I added recently in the past month. What is even more strange, is if I do a server rescan of my entire music collection to rebuild the database, while it's scanning, browse by artist artwork populates but when its finished its gone again (except for recent items). This may be a bug in the 7.8 beta - I don't know.

gegen
2014-01-06, 06:52
Here is an odd issue using LMS 7.8. When I use Orange Squeeze on my Google Nexus 7 to browse new music, or browse my collection by album, artwork is visible. If I browse by artist very few items have visible artwork, however, if you select an artist to look at the albums all artwork is visible for that artist. I have noticed of the visible artwork all the visible ones are of music I added recently in the past month. What is even more strange, is if I do a server rescan of my entire music collection to rebuild the database, while it's scanning, browse by artist artwork populates but when its finished its gone again (except for recent items). This may be a bug in the 7.8 beta - I don't know.

Same problem here using 7.8 on a raspberry pi.

marflao
2014-01-11, 00:39
Morning all, just downloaded the latest version of the preview for my Nexus 7 II. DL was fine but it appears that the installation doesn't end. Anybody else facing the same situation?

pinkdot
2014-01-18, 01:23
Morning all, just downloaded the latest version of the preview for my Nexus 7 II. DL was fine but it appears that the installation doesn't end. Anybody else facing the same situation?

Yes also occurs with other downloads here. A restart of my device did the trick.

soundcheck
2014-01-18, 05:01
Orange Squeeze is getting better and better.

I really like latest Home-Menu customization including start-page option feature.

iPeng made me stick to iOS for a long time. With todays Orange Squeeze I'll stick with Android.

Though there are still some little things I'd like to see improved.

1. Playlist Window
No controls ( /start/stop/prev/next/vol ) when looking at playlist. Playing DJ becomes kind of complex
Easier access to to playlist from playback screen would be nice. (swipe-up/swipe-down for access)
2. Genre
The layer below Genre should show "All Albums" sorted by Artist immeditely instead of
grouping Albums/Artist first.

Thx a lot.

Cheers
SC

marflao
2014-01-18, 05:39
Yes also occurs with other downloads here. A restart of my device did the trick.

Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.
I helped myself with deinstall and than reinstall of the app. ;-)

jimbobvfr400
2014-01-18, 06:37
1. Playlist Window
No controls ( /start/stop/prev/next/vol ) when looking at playlist. Playing DJ becomes kind of complex
Easier access to to playlist from playback screen would be nice. (swipe-up/swipe-down for access)

Were you aware your devices volume keys can be used for volume control? The first time you press the volume key you'll be asked if you want them to be used in this manner. You can also change this in the preferences menu.

I also agree the small now playing strip you get else where would be useful on the playlist screen.

I'm not sure a swipe would be easier than the single click we have now TBH

hypno2009
2014-01-23, 04:42
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has managed to set Orange squeeze as default music player in Android. I am only using this player on my phone since i stream music from my Squeezeserver from home. Do not use any other music player. And if i want to controll Orange squeeze from my bluetooth headset it must be the default music player.

BR
Anders

sle118
2014-02-13, 06:18
I am having issues downloading music tracks as mp3 from my collection, which is in FLAC. The problem is documented as a new TRAC ticket
http://orangebikelabs.com/trac/orangesqueeze/ticket/137

In short, downloading a single track correctly initiates transcoding on my server (grabbing the URL from the server debug log and pasting it in a web browser results in a succesful file download). On the phone, diagnostics show a download progressing with byte count steadily increasing, but the target folder never seem to get the file.

When exiting the app and coming back, all incomplete downloads are started over again until they are removed from the list.

Can anyone comment? Was anyone able to download/transcode? Did anyone have the issue and resolved it?

The ticket wasn't acknowledged yet by orange bike labs.

sle118
2014-02-19, 07:04
I am having issues downloading music tracks as mp3 from my collection, which is in FLAC. The problem is documented as a new TRAC ticket
http://orangebikelabs.com/trac/orangesqueeze/ticket/137
The ticket wasn't acknowledged yet by orange bike labs.

**bump**

ucw
2014-02-22, 01:34
Same problem here using 7.8 on a raspberry pi.
I'm having the same problem on various devices: HTC One, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 & 10.1) and a LG G2. Original and Preview versions. I'm using LMS 7.8 on a Win2012R2. It would be so cool to have the artwork for the artists. And thank you for a very nice program...

slartibartfast
2014-02-22, 02:24
I'm having the same problem on various devices: HTC One, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 & 10.1) and a LG G2. Original and Preview versions. I'm using LMS 7.8 on a Win2012R2. It would be so cool to have the artwork for the artists. And thank you for a very nice program...

Just an idea but I think you will only see artist artwork if you install the "Music and artist information" plugin. There is a thread about it in third party software.

slartibartfast
2014-02-22, 03:12
Has anyone used Random Mix on Orange Squeeze? If I try choosing genres the tick boxes change state when selected but if I scroll the page so the genre I have just selected or deselected is no longer visible and then scroll back to it the tick box returns to it's original state. If I select genres using the Logitech app and then return to Orange Squeeze the correct tick boxes are selected. Anyone else seeing this?

kidstypike
2014-02-22, 05:14
Has anyone used Random Mix on Orange Squeeze? If I try choosing genres the tick boxes change state when selected but if I scroll the page so the genre I have just selected or deselected is no longer visible and then scroll back to it the tick box returns to it's original state. If I select genres using the Logitech app and then return to Orange Squeeze the correct tick boxes are selected. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I see the same, the only thing that seems to stick in Orange Squeeze is "Select All".

When you tick / untick genres in LMS web GUI there's an option to "save", there is no option to "save" in Orange Squeeze.

ucw
2014-02-23, 04:06
Just an idea but I think you will only see artist artwork if you install the "Music and artist information" plugin. There is a thread about it in third party software.

That 'worked' - it now shows an 'artist picture' from the internet - and that's a nice feature. But earlier on it showed one cover or a combination of covers (if there were more than one album) from that artist from my own music library - and I would very much like that 'back'. Please read description from "willcycle". Any ideas would be much appreciated.

TechHome
2014-03-01, 21:05
Actually, I decided to give LMS 7.8 a go and it broke Squeeze Commander. Lovin' OrangeSqueeze so far. Intuitive, gives more feedback than Squeeze Commander and multi-player support works great.

Much thanks!

pippin
2014-03-02, 05:13

floepie
2014-03-10, 09:21
Nice app, but the download feature is a bit of a crapshoot. More often than not, downloading an entire album times out somewhere between 50-90% along the progress bar, and on top of that, no files get physically added to the default music folder on the (virtual) SD card. Only empty folders get added named after the artist and album with no tracks.

Also, I would really like to see the app gallery just like you can with the Logitech's app and be able to install apps (and uninstall?) from within Orange Squeeze. Thanks!

bwaldron
2014-03-10, 14:15
Nice app, but the download feature is a bit of a crapshoot. More often than not, downloading an entire album times out somewhere between 50-90% along the progress bar, and on top of that, no files get physically added to the default music folder on the (virtual) SD card. Only empty folders get added named after the artist and album with no tracks.

Yeah, I'm having problems with downloads in the latest Orange Squeeze as well. No transcoding involved, but the downloads just stall and never complete.

soundcheck
2014-04-22, 10:56
Hi there.

Still a happy user of OS.

I'd like to post one more time a feature wish.

I'm having a huge database. That forces to me use "GENRES" as first stage differentiation.

If I open "GENRES" within Orange Squeeze, I'll find all Artists listed. If I click on an Artist thumbnail. OS opens all artist related albums on the next layer down. So far So good.

A real nice feature would be an immediate "All Album view/GENRE" sorted by the Artists.

The feature is basically there. At the very bottom of the "Artist" thumbnail list, you'll find that "All Album" thumbnail. It would have to be selected by default - perhaps via settings menu.

The 2nd best option would be to put that "All Album" thumbnail at the top of the list. This way I would have to endless scroll down the huge Artist list to get there.
iPeng has it implemented this way btw.

If there is option to get this manged from the server side, please let me know.

Thx for listening.

PS:

I do have a strange behavior of these "Artist" thumbnails under "Genre". There used to be 4 album arts (max) merged on one thumbnail. Nowadays only a couple
of thumbnail show a cover art, but the vast majority remains empty!?!?. Am I doing something wrong here??

ButC
2014-05-01, 12:23
I have a feature request: Having something like a Preset mode would be great. A mode that could have presets (for radio channels, certain music, pods and so on) on the player screen (next to album art, for example), just for easy switching between (in my case) radio stations. I've realized that the preset buttons on my Radio is the UI I use by far the most.

Peter Galbavy
2014-05-07, 05:59
+1 on the presets.

This is different to favourites, I should note before people chime in with that suggestion

Meridion
2014-05-11, 07:27
Just wanted to give some positive for the latest OS preview: I love the UI updates! New 'Now Playing' display and the three-dot context menus are very useful.

I started to like the UI of Google Play Music very much, because it is very simple and intuitive.

But the Orange Squeeze UI ist getting closer again. :-)

Thanks!

bwaldron
2014-05-11, 08:14
I've been playing with the latest beta myself. Apart from the expected instability/bugs with such a preview, I can't say that I'm sold on the UI updates at this point - for example, Now Playing no longer shows the Album tag or track number and total tracks in playlist (# of #), the text is smaller than I like when using from a short distance in a cradle on my desk, there is no way to see the full album art, and I preferred press+hold on the artwork to see full track details rather than using the context menu.

The preview also doesn't fix the bug that has been bothering me with the current version (downloading to device isn't working).

I do like that the app now uses the notification area for display/control.

It's an early beta, and I am sure the developer will improve/refine the new interface. We'll see.

Just wanted to give some positive for the latest OS preview: I love the UI updates! New 'Now Playing' display and the three-dot context menus are very useful.

I started to like the UI of Google Play Music very much, because it is very simple and intuitive.

But the Orange Squeeze UI ist getting closer again. :-)

Thanks!

sbp
2014-05-12, 11:51
Hi I have a few questions about the new GUI.
Where can I find the now playing screen?
where can I find the playlist, and how do I remove a song from the list?

steen

bwaldron
2014-05-12, 12:01
The Now Playing appears as a small panel on the bottom of the screen (when you are playing something). You can swipe upwards (or just press it) to make it full screen. I don't think there is a playlist view in this early preview version (the release notes mention that it isn't implemented yet).

steen

marflao
2014-05-12, 12:03

steen

Yep..Iīm facing the same situation...neither that I can find the "current playlist" anymore nor that I would be able to delete a certain song from that list besides the one which is currently playing.
In addition to that whenever I start the app I get this "No players found" pic (although itīs only for a split second).

Besides that I really like the app.

Cheers.

floepie
2014-05-13, 13:00
Very cool new feature for Spotify users in the new beta! With the now playing track, whether it be via one of the radio streams on Tune-in or other service or your own library, there is a menu feature called "On spotify". You can use this to search either for the current title or artist in the Spotify database.

Real world scenario is as follows: Spotify radio genre playback in Orange is not very good. Some genres work and some don't, and the genres are often too broad. So, I choose an internet stream instead that more suits my mood. Once I bump up on a track that I like, I hit "On Spotify". Once there, I go to artists, then scroll down to the bottom and start a radio station based on similar artists. Now, I have better radio station than the previous one, and at higher bitrate to boot.