PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead: What alternatives exist for rating my music?

GeeJay
2012-11-30, 22:07
One of my biggest "must haves" once I am finally forced to replace my SBs and LMS is the ability to rate tracks. I find myself very dependent on Erland's suite of plug-ins for this purpose. I rate tracks, use filters to create playlists that weight heavily towards highly rated tracks, and really like the feature that automatically rates new tunes and increases/decreases ratings when tracks are played or skipped.

Is there an alternative I can consider switching to now that can provide me with similar functionality? How can I best preserve my ratings such that when the SB world finally goes "dark" I don't have to start over from scratch? I used to import/export ratings from/to MusicIP, but given that software is no longer commercially available, that doesn't appear to be a great alternative.

I know this isn't likely to be a real issue for several years, but wanted to start researching the alternatives well in advance of when the need arises.

erland
2012-12-03, 10:12
One of my biggest "must haves" once I am finally forced to replace my SBs and LMS is the ability to rate tracks. I find myself very dependent on Erland's suite of plug-ins for this purpose. I rate tracks, use filters to create playlists that weight heavily towards highly rated tracks, and really like the feature that automatically rates new tunes and increases/decreases ratings when tracks are played or skipped.

Is there an alternative I can consider switching to now that can provide me with similar functionality? How can I best preserve my ratings such that when the SB world finally goes "dark" I don't have to start over from scratch? I used to import/export ratings from/to MusicIP, but given that software is no longer commercially available, that doesn't appear to be a great alternative.

I know this isn't likely to be a real issue for several years, but wanted to start researching the alternatives well in advance of when the need arises.

Some questions (to you or anybody else reading this thread):
1. On which devices do you use the ratings today, is it only on Squeezebox or also with some other kind of player hardware ?
2. On which devices would you like to use the ratings in the future ? Is it only on Squeezeboxes and the devices that will eventually replace your Squeezeboxes or do you see a need on some other type of device also ?
3. What file formats do you have in your music library ?
4. Are you only interested in rating of tracks in your local library or also for rating tracks on online music from Spotify, Deezer, Rhapsody, MOG and similar services ?
5. Are you only looking for free solutions or is it something you would be interested to pay for ?

GeeJay
2012-12-03, 21:00
Some questions (to you or anybody else reading this thread):
1. On which devices do you use the ratings today, is it only on Squeezebox or also with some other kind of player hardware ?
2. On which devices would you like to use the ratings in the future ? Is it only on Squeezeboxes and the devices that will eventually replace your Squeezeboxes or do you see a need on some other type of device also ?
3. What file formats do you have in your music library ?
4. Are you only interested in rating of tracks in your local library or also for rating tracks on online music from Spotify, Deezer, Rhapsody, MOG and similar services ?
5. Are you only looking for free solutions or is it something you would be interested to pay for ?

1. Just the SB for now. If I had to switch to Sonos, I imagine I'd have to create static playlists and import them into the Sonos system. I'm hoping a better competitor comes along before then, of course, but that's what I would do today if I had to.
2. Whatever I buy to replace SB.
3. Mp3 and FLAC.
4. Just my local library, although I might one day subscribe to Spotify or MOG.
5. I would be willing to pay for it.