PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for a Boom

golddustpeak
2012-11-23, 12:23
My Boom was just a great sounding alarm clock device, unfortunately it has suffered an untimely death.

My interest in a replacement is for a reliable and good sounding wi-fi radio, I' use my other devices to listen to my music on my LMS.

I had A LOT of trouble with the alarm in the Boom originally and could NOT use it with mysqueezebox.com as it would not acquire quickly enough to function so I could only make it reliable by using it with my LMS. Since that time until now I've been happy.

Are there any suggestions as to a device that is a reliable and good sounding wi-fi radio with alarm?

TNX

garym
2012-11-23, 23:48
Squeezebox radio. Discontinued but new ones generally available.

epoch1970
2012-11-24, 05:12
Totally reliable alarms on Radio, really ?
(Just asking, I don't have one.)

I think the device the OP is looking for should be able to work on battery backup power. I'd hate to suggest a smartphone dock, butů

tcutting
2012-11-24, 10:33
Actually the Radio alarm has been very reliable for me for a long time now. I had early issues with the alarm- changed my alarm sound to a local mp3 file (on LMS) and only a couple times got Radio's built in sound. Also, if you run on battery you get the battery backup you indicated- if you lose power the Radio will shut down but will wake itself prior to the alarm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

garym
2012-11-24, 12:04
Totally reliable alarms on Radio, really ?
(Just asking, I don't have one.)

I think the device the OP is looking for should be able to work on battery backup power. I'd hate to suggest a smartphone dock, but…

Boom alarm has always been rock solid. Radio alarm same after the first few firmware updates. Don't know, but I suspect those with long term alarm problems have some issues with the interaction of their LAN and radio (well that actually describes about 90% of problems reported here for many years. ;-)

epoch1970
2012-11-24, 13:46
Also, if you run on battery you get the battery backup you indicated- if you lose power the Radio will shut down but will wake itself prior to the alarm.
Pretty smart!
(I think I've seen the battery+remote combo being nicely discounted on ebay or so.)

garym
2012-11-24, 13:51
Pretty smart!
(I think I've seen the battery+remote combo being nicely discounted on ebay or so.)

And I've purchased a battery alone on amazon for much much less than the official battery/remote.