PDA

View Full Version : Time doesn't update with daylight savings

ajkidle
2012-11-21, 05:34
I run LMS on a self-made VortexBox - although I think the hardware is the same as (or very similar to) the original VortexBox appliance -- an Atom based MSI Nettop 100.

The problem I'm having is that when daylight savings time happens and we gain/lose an hour, this PC clock doesn't seem to update. When the system reboots, the time shown on my Squeezeboxen is off by an hour. The only two solutions I know of are less than ideal:

1 - Log into the VB and force it to "correct system time" by connecting to an internet time server. This only works until the next reboot. Problematic if I were to lose power in the night... and my Radio is my alarm...

2 - Connect a monitor and keyboard to the system and change the time in the bios. The system is headless, so this is an annoying twice a year ritual.

Anyone know of a more permanent fix?

rgro
2012-11-21, 08:18
Seems like I recall that you can do this via ssh---no need to hook up the keyboard and monitor....The following thread might help.

http://vortexbox.org/threads/3168-SOLVED-reboot-system-time-problems?highlight=hwclock

Julf
2012-11-21, 08:19
The problem I'm having is that when daylight savings time happens and we gain/lose an hour, this PC clock doesn't seem to update. When the system reboots, the time shown on my Squeezeboxen is off by an hour.

And is your computer (OS) set to the tight time zone?

Is there a reason for not having the computer permanently synchronized to internet time servers?

ajkidle
2012-11-21, 08:46
And is your computer (OS) set to the tight time zone?

Is there a reason for not having the computer permanently synchronized to internet time servers?

No reason except that I don't know how to do it. :-) I have to manually sync to an internet time server after every reboot, whch is what I'm trying to avoid.

How do I check to see what time zone Fedora thinks my computer is in? I don't know why I wouldn't have chosen EST during installation, but maybe I skipped that step by mistake.

I'll try the SSH solution - as I understand that, it's going to change the hardware clock to be the same as the systemtime. Still not the ideal solution, but it's easier to do that twice a year than it is to find a monitor and keyboard to hook up to the VB. (Funny how computers have evolved - a standalone monitor and keyboard have become a relic in my household...)

Thanks.

Julf
2012-11-21, 09:42
No reason except that I don't know how to do it. :-)

Not sure about vortexbox, but there should be a file called /etc/ntp.conf. Insert a line with "server pool.ntp.org".

How do I check to see what time zone Fedora thinks my computer is in?

echo $TZ

and you should also compare the output of "date" and "date -u" (date -u gives the time in UTC).