PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio: changing Pause into being more like Mute

ja2038
2012-11-14, 13:00
When I am listening to an Internet Radio stream and I hit the Pause Button "[||]" the stream pauses. And it stays paused for many many minutes. So that five minutes later, if I hit Play, the stream starts up just where I left off.

Which is sort of nice but not what I want.

I'd prefer that Pause on Internet Radio worked more like Mute. So that resuming a Paused stream starts the stream up again as the current position in real time. (I swear, that's what it used to do.)

It works this way using LMS as well as using MySqueezebox.com

How do I convert Pause behavior into Mute behavior?

thanks!

toby10
2012-11-14, 15:22
I don't understand the issue.

1. Which player?
2. Pause does not pause/stop the basic Internet Radio streams (i.e. it does not start where it left off)
3. Pause will pause/stop and then resume where you left off when using subscription type streams that offer that feature
4. Press & hold pause = stop

ja2038
2012-11-14, 21:45
Thanks for your reply.

I don't understand the issue.

1. Which player?
2. Pause does not pause/stop the basic Internet Radio streams (i.e. it does not start where it left off)
3. Pause will pause/stop and then resume where you left off when using subscription type streams that offer that feature
4. Press & hold pause = stop

This happens on Squeezebox Boom as well as SqueezePlay.
It happens on my own installation of LMS as well as using mysqueezebox.com.

"Pause does not pause/stop the basic Internet Radio streams (i.e. it does not start where it left off)"

It does for me.

Can you try this out? Go to mysqueezebox.com, and direct it to play a commercial radio station on your player. Wait for either a commercial to air, or wait for a song you know. As it plays, pause it, and wait five minutes. Hit play and tell me what happens. Does the stream start playing at where it had left off or start playing the current live content?

"Pause will pause/stop and then resume where you left off when using subscription type streams that offer that feature"

Are you referring to some radio streams that offer that versus some that do not? Or are you referring to things like My Music (mp3, etc.) streams which do versus radio streams that do not?

"Press & hold pause = stop"

Hmm. I mainly use Android controls (Squeeze Commander) or SqueezePlay mouse click on the || to Pause, hoping it will stop. I don't think either of those play well with long clicks (press & hold).

pippin
2012-11-14, 23:57
Which radio station?

The Squeezebox CAN NOT just pause a normal radio station, it would have to store hours of music (in extreme cases) while the only thing it really buffers are a few seconds.

So this has to be something that has a mechanism to remotely start it at a certain position, like a podcast or so. If it does, then "pause" will indeed just pause the stream and continue where you left.

azinck3
2012-11-15, 00:23
I rarely pause, and I haven't tested how long it will do it for, but I've been seeing the same behavior (a true pause, even on internet radio). I know it doesn't make much sense but it DOES seem to be happening. I'm running LMS 7.7.2, listen mostly to WAMU (http://wamu.org/), and my SB hardware is in my sig.

If this is new behavior I really don't know when it surfaced. Like I said, I don't pause often. In fact, every time it's happened I've assumed I must be imagining things since I've thought (like you, pippin) that it's impossible.

azinck3
2012-11-15, 00:42
Ok, so I just tried it with Radio Paradise on my SB3.

I paused the stream for about 3 minutes or so and when I un-paused it I had not missed any audio. The stream picked up right where I left off.

At this point (about 3 minutes behind the live stream) I paused it again and left it for about 6 minutes. This time un-pausing caused me to jump back to "live".

It appears the device's buffer provides this "functionality" (I don't really mind it one way or the other). I listen to Radio Paradise at 128kbps so it makes sense that the SB3's 25mb buffer would give me just over 3 minutes of paused audio. If you're listening to lower-bitrate streams then you'd have even more buffer (explains why I noticed it with WAMU as I listen to that at just 32kbps -- gives me almost 15 minutes of buffer for pausing).

And if the newer devices (Touch, Radio) are configured to use all of their available ram in this way you could pause a stream even longer.

None of this actually answers the OP's question. OP: I'd just suggest pressing-and-holding pause to stop the stream. Then press play to restart the stream when you want to do so.

toby10
2012-11-15, 03:06
Are you referring to some radio streams that offer that versus some that do not? Or are you referring to things like My Music (mp3, etc.) streams which do versus radio streams that do not?...........

Only referring to internet streams, local music is different. :)

As others have suggested you are simply seeing the players buffer playback. How long it can buffer will depend on the stream size.
Ex: 64k stream might buffer ten minutes, but a 320k stream might only buffer one minute
Leave any basic station stream on over night and it will not resume where it left off. Whereas other subscription services like Rhapsody, Pandora, Deezer, etc... have the ability to actually pause/resume in that same scenario..

A true "pause and resume" would be your local music where you can pause the song then resume days (or even weeks/months) later exactly where you left off..... assuming the LMS server has not been turned off.

ja2038
2012-11-15, 08:04
Depending on the station, and I am listening to streams found via internet radio search ranging from local to faraway NPR stations as well as various AM stations, I can get anywhere from 30 seconds of buffer to literally 7 or more minutes (All of LA Woman and more.)

This is a terrible behavior.

Either there should be 30 minutes or 60 minutes or two hours or any DVR like amount of buffering,

OR

There should be none of this buffering for internet radio.

If I am listening to the radio for music, I don't want a song to end abruptly in the middle and go on to the current song.

If I want to stop listening to the distracting/annoying talk show and wait for the next show, I don't want to restart it and listen to the annoying voice again, I want the new content.

As I've said before, I do not know how to STOP a stream. I use an Android App or the Web App and near as I can tell, neither has any notion of clicking and holding.

On internet radio, the pause/play button should be a stop/play button.

azinck3
2012-11-15, 08:30
Depending on the station, and I am listening to streams found via internet radio search ranging from local to faraway NPR stations as well as various AM stations, I can get anywhere from 30 seconds of buffer to literally 7 or more minutes (All of LA Woman and more.)

Either there should be 30 minutes or 60 minutes or two hours or any DVR like amount of buffering,

OR

If I am listening to the radio for music, I don't want a song to end abruptly in the middle and go on to the current song.

If I want to stop listening to the distracting/annoying talk show and wait for the next show, I don't want to restart it and listen to the annoying voice again, I want the new content.

As I've said before, I do not know how to STOP a stream. I use an Android App or the Web App and near as I can tell, neither has any notion of clicking and holding.

I'm not arguing with your feature request. I can see merit to it working either way but in the short term have you tried using power on/off? After turning it back on just hit play.

ja2038
2012-11-15, 11:03
I'm not arguing with your feature request. I can see merit to it working either way but in the short term have you tried using power on/off? After turning it back on just hit play.

The workaround I use is to change to a different station and then come back to the station I actually want to listen to.

jo-wie
2012-11-15, 11:18
Hold the pause button pressed for 2 seconds to stop the stream.

OK, it was late. Forget it.

toby10
2012-11-15, 13:25

OR

Well, these are not recording devices, they are streamers. If you want 30 minutes to hours of recorded station streaming you need to actually record it. Buffering is needed to prevent choppy playback. If you are listening to a station and the players buffering interferes with playback, then you have a network issue. New content: just mute the volume or turn the player off till the new show starts.

I'm giving examples and instructions for the physical player, not Android. If a player feature is missing from a third party control point you need to raise that as a feature request from the author/owner of that app.

ja2038
2012-11-16, 00:12
Well, these are not recording devices, they are streamers. If you want 30 minutes to hours of recorded station streaming you need to actually record it. Buffering is needed to prevent choppy playback. If you are listening to a station and the players buffering interferes with playback, then you have a network issue. New content: just mute the volume or turn the player off till the new show starts.

I'm giving examples and instructions for the physical player, not Android. If a player feature is missing from a third party control point you need to raise that as a feature request from the author/owner of that app.

Sigh.

Thank you for your help. Regardless, the PLAYERS I AM USING ARE:

1) "Remote Control" at mysqueezebox.com (NOT A THIRD PARTY CONTROL)

2) Web Control that comes with LMS 7.7.2 (NOT A THIRD PARTY CONTROL)

3) Android Squeeze Commander. (A THIRD PARTY CONTROL)

THESE ALL BEHAVE THE SAME WAY. THE WAY THEY BEHAVE IS BUGGY AND INCONSISTENT AND CONTRARY TO EITHER OF THE TWO OBVIOUS WAYS TO HANDLE A PAUSE.

Mnyb
2012-11-16, 02:12
Sigh.

Thank you for your help. Regardless, the PLAYERS I AM USING ARE:

1) "Remote Control" at mysqueezebox.com (NOT A THIRD PARTY CONTROL)

2) Web Control that comes with LMS 7.7.2 (NOT A THIRD PARTY CONTROL)

3) Android Squeeze Commander. (A THIRD PARTY CONTROL)

THESE ALL BEHAVE THE SAME WAY. THE WAY THEY BEHAVE IS BUGGY AND INCONSISTENT AND CONTRARY TO EITHER OF THE TWO OBVIOUS WAYS TO HANDLE A PAUSE.

Do a long press on pause (stop) directly on the radio give the expected behaviour ?
If you use off does this behave better ?

toby10
2012-11-16, 03:43
Assuming Stop actually worked from your software control points (not the player itself), would it solve the issue for you?
It still isn't going to record hours of streaming, regardless.

ja2038
2012-11-16, 20:04
Assuming Stop actually worked from your software control points (not the player itself), would it solve the issue for you?
It still isn't going to record hours of streaming, regardless.

Well, there is no Stop, so yes, it vacuously satisifies the condition.

And turning the player off does work, but when it is turned back on it causes all the players in the sync group to Pause and wait for the newb to catch up.