PDA

View Full Version : Squeezeplay on Windows 8

pizzaman
2012-11-14, 08:37
I can't get squeezeplay on Windows 8 to work. It won't connect to my server, both on the same htpc and on my windows 7 laptop. If i run squeezeplay on my laptop it connects to both servers just fine. My squeezebox radio also connects to the servers just fine. Windows 8 pro with media center x64

Tried:
- disabling firewall
- installing many versions of squeezeplay and squeezebox server
- Updating java

Any advice would be appreciated

w3wilkes
2012-11-14, 13:19
Just for grins after you select your server on Squeezeplay and it fails. Hit the home key, go to the server WebUI and see if your Squeezeplay shows up in the player list. If it does you should be able to use it as a player from the WebUI or any other controller, just can't do the control from Squeezeplay. I have this issue on a Win7 machine where it works as a player, just can't use the rest of the Squeezeplay interface. I've tried everything I can think of, but that's the way it is for me.

Mnyb
2012-11-14, 21:14
Try to manually add the server via it's ip adress ? If it's on the same machine the home ip should do .

Not finding server is usually blocked port 3483 udp/tcp or udp,broadcast disabled or some such .
Edit while at it port 9000 tcp should be open.

w3wilkes
2012-11-15, 00:21
Checked all the ports and can't find a problem. Tried on 2 different brand routers. WebUI works fine from machine that Squeezeplay will only play on. If I bring up Squeezeserver on the same machine as the Squeezeplay problem, squeezeplay can access the server fine using the 127.0.0.1:9000 IP. I'm good with Squeezeplay only working as a player on this box, the WebUI and Duet controllers are fine to control this problem Squeezeplay. From reading through some old posts this doesn't occur for many, but does for a few.

Just thought I'd throw out the suggestion for the OP and see if Squeezeplay would work as a player only.

pizzaman
2012-11-16, 11:57
Thank you all for responding. Much appreciated!

Just for grins after you select your server on Squeezeplay and it fails. Hit the home key, go to the server WebUI and see if your Squeezeplay shows up in the player list. If it does you should be able to use it as a player from the WebUI or any other controller, just can't do the control from Squeezeplay. I have this issue on a Win7 machine where it works as a player, just can't use the rest of the Squeezeplay interface. I've tried everything I can think of, but that's the way it is for me.

Yes i find squeezeplay amongst the players when opening web interface or the squeezebox app on my phone. When i select a song and play, it appears to be playing, but nothing happens in SqueezePlay.

Try to manually add the server via it's ip adress ? If it's on the same machine the home ip should do .

Not finding server is usually blocked port 3483 udp/tcp or udp,broadcast disabled or some such .
Edit while at it port 9000 tcp should be open.

Shouldn't port issues be bypassed when i try it with my entire firewall disabled? If not, how do i add a server through it's ip address?

Checked all the ports and can't find a problem. Tried on 2 different brand routers. WebUI works fine from machine that Squeezeplay will only play on. If I bring up Squeezeserver on the same machine as the Squeezeplay problem, squeezeplay can access the server fine using the 127.0.0.1:9000 IP. I'm good with Squeezeplay only working as a player on this box, the WebUI and Duet controllers are fine to control this problem Squeezeplay. From reading through some old posts this doesn't occur for many, but does for a few.

Just thought I'd throw out the suggestion for the OP and see if Squeezeplay would work as a player only.

SqueezePlay as just a player would be just fine. I typically control it through my android app or through the synced squeezebox radio any way. But unfortunately it doesn't work.

So what we're left with:

- Squeezebox radio and Squeezeplay on other computer connect just fine with server on Win8 and with server on other pc's

- Squeezeplay on the Win8 computer won't connect to any server

- I have no idea why

w3wilkes
2012-11-16, 14:15
Just to be clear on my case of Squeezeplay only working as a player. From the Squeezeplay UI select My Music then switch it to your server. When it fails just hit the home key on the keyboard (at this point I minimize squeezeplay since the Squeezeplay UI is just useless for me). Then from either the WebUI in a browser or my Duet controller I can select the Squeezeplay machine and start some music and the music plays on the Squeezeplay machine. The Squeezeplay UI appears as if nothing is happening, but music IS coming out of the speakers on the PC that is running Squeezeplay.

kidstypike
2012-11-16, 14:40
To be able to use Squeezeplay as a controller to control Squeezeplayer, you need to choose Squeezeplayer as the player you are controlling.
Settings > Choose Player > SqueezePlayer

w3wilkes
2012-11-16, 19:43
I understand that. The interface of Squeezeplayer is almost identical to the interface on the Duet controller so I do know how to use it. Squeezeplayer does work completely if I actually run Squeezeserver on this PC, but I normally have it running on my WHS box. From the interface on Squeezeplayer it cannot see any of my players including itself. If I select my music it attempts to connect to Squeezebox server on my laptop (same machine as this problem Squeezeplayer) which is not active and gives the option to try again or switch libraries. I select Switch and it does show me my actual active Squeezeserver along with the non running Squeezeserver with the check mark. I then select the actual active Squeezeserver. It goes into the spin circle thing trying to connect and then fails with the retry or switch items. If I have the player dropdown in the web browser expanded you can see the squeezeplayer get added to the list of players that Squeezeserver sees. Squeezeplayer actually says it failed to connect. At this point I just take Squeezeplayer to the home screen and minimze it. It works as a player that can be controlled from the WebUI or either of my Duet controllers. Squeezeplayer itself is cannot see or control anything, much like a headless softsqueeze.

pizzaman
2012-11-17, 05:13
To be able to use Squeezeplay as a controller to control Squeezeplayer, you need to choose Squeezeplayer as the player you are controlling.
Settings > Choose Player > SqueezePlayer

I see the choose player option. But i don't care about using it as a controller. Quite the opposite: i want to use it as a player.

I understand that. The interface of Squeezeplayer is almost identical to the interface on the Duet controller so I do know how to use it. Squeezeplayer does work completely if I actually run Squeezeserver on this PC, but I normally have it running on my WHS box. From the interface on Squeezeplayer it cannot see any of my players including itself. If I select my music it attempts to connect to Squeezebox server on my laptop (same machine as this problem Squeezeplayer) which is not active and gives the option to try again or switch libraries. I select Switch and it does show me my actual active Squeezeserver along with the non running Squeezeserver with the check mark. I then select the actual active Squeezeserver. It goes into the spin circle thing trying to connect and then fails with the retry or switch items. If I have the player dropdown in the web browser expanded you can see the squeezeplayer get added to the list of players that Squeezeserver sees. Squeezeplayer actually says it failed to connect. At this point I just take Squeezeplayer to the home screen and minimze it. It works as a player that can be controlled from the WebUI or either of my Duet controllers. Squeezeplayer itself is cannot see or control anything, much like a headless softsqueeze.

Same here. Except Win8 in stead of WHS and for me it doesn't work as a dumb player.

w3wilkes
2012-11-17, 21:30
Since all you really need/want is a player on your Win8 box have you tried using SoftSqueeze rather than SqueezePlay? SoftSqueeze even has a headless mode so that you can run it with no UI at all. Yes, you can control it from the WebUI or your Android.

Mnyb
2012-11-17, 22:12
Hmm , what firewall and antivirus you might have to alter settings in both and sorry to say disabling firewalls does not *really* disable them in many cases ( unistall is what works ).

pizzaman
2012-11-18, 03:15
Since all you really need/want is a player on your Win8 box have you tried using SoftSqueeze rather than SqueezePlay? SoftSqueeze even has a headless mode so that you can run it with no UI at all. Yes, you can control it from the WebUI or your Android.

SoftSqueeze won't work on any of my computers. On my Win8 pc it says Connection failed, no matter what settings i try. On my Win7 laptop it says Connecting to slim server and nothing more happens.

I also tried squeezeslave. On my Win7 laptop it works (with command line option -F to have it auto-find the squeeze server on my Win8 pc). When i run it on my Win8 pc, i type it in the command prompt and it just hangs. I tried an administrator command prompt too.

Hmm , what firewall and intivirus you migth have to alter settings in both and sorry to say disabling firewalls does not *really* disable them in many cases ( unistall is what works ).

Firewall: windows built-in. I first let SoftSqueeze / SqueezePlay / SqueezeSlave through the firewall and then disable it altogether just to be sure. Antivirus is Avast!, which offers an option to disable all "shields". Note that i do not need to disable firewall or antivirus on my Win7 laptop for squeezeplay or squeezeslave to work on it.

pizzaman
2012-11-18, 03:46
Gotcha. Uninstalling Avast rather than disabling fixed the problem. Reinstalled without the network shield and it still worked, both SqueezePlay and SqueezeSlave.

For a complete troubleshooting i should maybe install the network shield component again and then disable that. But, i think i'm just gonna enjoy it finally working and not change a thing :-)

th00ht
2013-08-25, 01:10
Not that it helps anyone but SqueezePlay plays great on my Windows 8

Only configured server and port and it worked.

Pokersut
2014-01-12, 16:03
Gotcha. Uninstalling Avast rather than disabling fixed the problem. Reinstalled without the network shield and it still worked, both SqueezePlay and SqueezeSlave.

For a complete troubleshooting i should maybe install the network shield component again and then disable that. But, i think i'm just gonna enjoy it finally working and not change a thing :-)

I know this thread is getting kinda old, but I had the same problem and the mention of Avast Antivirus in this thread made me do some googling - and I found the solution in the Avast user forums: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144058.0

Locale the file WebShield.ini (mine was in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast) and open it with a text editor. Add the lines

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

to the end of the file and save it. Then restart the Avast Service (Start -> Run -> services.msc - right-click on Avast! Antivirus). Ignore any warnings from Avast.

This fixed it for me. The thread promises a more official fix this weekend, so you may want to keep an eye on it.

Mikkel

bonze
2014-02-11, 04:59
I have been happily running Squeezeplay on my Win7 (now 8.1) machine for a few years with no problems.
My LMS is installed on a WHS.

Yesterday, for apparently no reason, Squeezeplay stopped "talking" to the LMS.
It may have been because I was rebooting the WHS at the time, but normally Squeezeplay will connect when LMS is available.
But not this time.

I could see the player from the webGUI, and it would work from there.
But trying to connect to my LMS gave the spinny graphic and failed.

I examined all the .lua files I could find in the user directory (user/AppData/Roaming/Squeezeplay), and found two instances where the text "squeezeNetwork=true" was included.
(Playback.lua & SlimDiscovery.lua)
I changed these both to "squeezeNetwork=false", and Squeezeplay came back to life.

Not sure if this would work in all cases, but worth a try.

Presumably, it decided to try and connect to SqueezeNetwork, and wouldn't go back ??

pizzaman
2014-02-13, 03:47
I have been happily running Squeezeplay on my Win7 (now 8.1) machine for a few years with no problems.
My LMS is installed on a WHS.

Yesterday, for apparently no reason, Squeezeplay stopped "talking" to the LMS.
It may have been because I was rebooting the WHS at the time, but normally Squeezeplay will connect when LMS is available.
But not this time.

I could see the player from the webGUI, and it would work from there.
But trying to connect to my LMS gave the spinny graphic and failed.

I examined all the .lua files I could find in the user directory (user/AppData/Roaming/Squeezeplay), and found two instances where the text "squeezeNetwork=true" was included.
(Playback.lua & SlimDiscovery.lua)
I changed these both to "squeezeNetwork=false", and Squeezeplay came back to life.

Not sure if this would work in all cases, but worth a try.

Presumably, it decided to try and connect to SqueezeNetwork, and wouldn't go back ??

My guess is it just took a while to get your LMS (logitech media server) online and active. In between SqueezePlay defaulted to squeeze network. If you would have just waited a little bit and then restarted squeezeplay, it might have given you the choice of your media server again.

PS WHS = windows home server?

bonze
2014-02-13, 04:16
My guess is it just took a while to get your LMS (logitech media server) online and active. In between SqueezePlay defaulted to squeeze network. If you would have just waited a little bit and then restarted squeezeplay, it might have given you the choice of your media server again.Normally yes it would, but for some reason on this occasion it didn't.
I checked LMS was up and running and, as I stated, I could see Squeezeplayer in the webGUI. But any attempt to connect failed.

PS WHS = windows home server?Yes.

pizzaman
2014-02-14, 02:10
Normally yes it would, but for some reason on this occasion it didn't.
I checked LMS was up and running and, as I stated, I could see Squeezeplayer in the webGUI. But any attempt to connect failed.

I didn't miss that when reading your post, but you didn't state how long you gave it a chance to register on your network and if you tried to reset the computer squeezeplay was running on after you checked the webgui. Either way, thank you for sharing, i really like it when people post spontaneous solutoins to a problem they encountered as opposed to only asking questions :-)

kanrig
2014-04-24, 11:16
My old computer recently had a motherboard crash and I need to download Squeezeplay on my new computer. I can't seem to find a download site. Can someone help me?

jimbobvfr400
2014-04-24, 11:43
It's unofficial but try here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96573

The bonus for me is that it has the larger Joggler skin as an option built in, previously I had lots of faffing to get the Joggler skin working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk