PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Wired Connect SB Classic

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-12, 07:51
Hi

I've been running my SB Classic over wireless ever since I bought it, and have had a few issues, buffering, losing connection to server etc. So I thought I'd try to run it wired instead (via homeplugs).

Whenever I try to configure a wired connection, the box fails to obtain an IP address because it cannot find a DHCP server. Sometimes it gets past the IP address screen, but hangs connecting to the server. If I plug a laptop into the same ethernet cable, that works fine.

Is there anything else I need to do, other than simply plugging in an ethernet cable and going through the network config process?

Thanks

toby10
2012-11-12, 08:10
Try the SB3 connected directly to the router for a test?

mikeh49
2012-11-12, 09:30
You could try giving it a fixed ip address. More work of course, and I don't recall just how that works on the classic with a working display (the display on mine died, and I configured it using the net-UDP program available on this forum).

garym
2012-11-12, 11:01
You could try giving it a fixed ip address. More work of course, and I don't recall just how that works on the classic with a working display (the display on mine died, and I configured it using the net-UDP program available on this forum).

classic is easy to do fixed IP. it is part of the setup menu. it will ask for IP, subnet, gateway, and DNS. Just enter info.

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-12, 12:05
Thanks, all useful suggestions. I'll give them a go and report back.

I'm just a bit confused as a laptop connected to the same homeplug device finds the router and gets an IP address no problem.

garym
2012-11-12, 12:25
Thanks, all useful suggestions. I'll give them a go and report back.

I'm just a bit confused as a laptop connected to the same homeplug device finds the router and gets an IP address no problem.

the DNS/DHCP stuff inside some SB players is reported to use a somewhat different method than a typical laptop for getting IP addresses and using DNS (I don't understand the technical differences personally). So there is sometimes more trouble with a SB player getting an IP address.

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-14, 05:54
No joy.

Connected direct to router. Failed to auto allocate IP. Added one manually, which appeared to work, but couldn't find server.

Maybe the ethernet port on my player is duff?

May have to revert to improving the wifi signal.

Mnyb
2012-11-14, 09:03
No joy.

Connected direct to router. Failed to auto allocate IP. Added one manually, which appeared to work, but couldn't find server.

Maybe the ethernet port on my player is duff?

May have to revert to improving the wifi signal.

Did you st all other relevant parameters as gateway and dns and subnet manually ? Not only the ip ?

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-14, 09:11
yep, set them too

gateway 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

Mnyb
2012-11-14, 09:59
yep, set them too

gateway 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

That's fine if your router is 192.168.1.1 ( not 192.168.0.1) I assume that the server is 192.168.1.x
Can the player conect to mysqueezebox.com ?

It may actually be busted unless you have some weird router settings preventing stuff to work such as blocking things due to mac adress filtering or only allow a certain amount of clients .

There is a rare condition, the SB3 mac adress is printed on it's sticker at the bottom , check inside the SB3's setup menu that it's mac adress actually corresponds to the sticker ! If not they could behave really strange .

You tried factory reset to just not Xilinx reset ? :-/

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-14, 10:15
Yes, router 192.168.1.1

Haven't tried to connect to mysqueezebox.com, that's a good suggestion. That should prove that the SB is actually on the network.

The only MAC filtering I have in place is for wireless connections, and when I use wireless, it all works fine (apart from the poor signal).

I'm sure I did try a factory reset, but I'll try again, just to confirm. What is "Xilinx reset"?

I have an idea for improving the wireless signal to that part of the house. I have an ASUS WL-500g Premium router available. Was going to try using that as a wireless access point.

Thanks again

Andy

toby10
2012-11-14, 15:27
You are certain the SB3 is using wired and not WiFi (and subsequently getting MAC filtered)? Try turning MAC filtering off.
Verify in the SB itself the wired connection is in use.

Mnyb
2012-11-14, 21:05
The xilinx reset is about the audio fpga chip mostly it reloads the software for this chip .
It may not apply to your situation ,but it is usually worth a try when a SB behaves weird ? But that usually is a no audio situation.
Maybe a factory reset is the way , but it won't hurt the device to do both .

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-15, 03:31
didn't get time lat night. Hopefully will over the weekend...

bert1e
2012-11-15, 08:05
I had a similar problem a long time ago and found if I used a crossover cable between the powerline adapter and the squeezebox it worked. In the end I put a switch in as I had more than my squeezebox to plugin.

Andy Cudlip
2012-11-19, 05:41
Still no joy. tried a factory reset, connecting to mysqueezebox.com, nothing.

Given up now and placed a wireless extender as near to the SB as possible!! Works like a dream, so far!!