PDA

View Full Version : slim devices classic v3 wireless wont work...

p.dow
2012-11-08, 12:59
bought used from original owner. wireless worked briefly. ethernet works fine. tryed reseting by useing the unplug then replug while holding add+ and the same technique while holding #1.
i was told by tech at 1-877-887-8889 that the unit was broken because when ethernet is unplugged there is no option on screen for wireless. when ethernet is unplugged the screen is locked on message that there is no ethernet connection...........

appreciate any help.
thanks
paul

toby10
2012-11-08, 13:32
Open it up, remove & re-seat the WiFi card, try again. It is possible the WiFi is bad, in which case you must either replace it or only use the SB3 via ethernet (with WiFi card removed).

p.dow
2012-11-08, 15:02
Open it up, remove & re-seat the WiFi card, try again. It is possible the WiFi is bad, in which case you must either replace it or only use the SB3 via ethernet (with WiFi card removed).

thanks for the reply . i have the case open and the board out..... sorry but it is not obvious to me where the wifi card is !!!
thanks
paul

bpa
2012-11-08, 18:24
It is a daughter card with two black wires (the antenna) connected to it. It usually has writing "54Mbps" on it and in smaller text "IEEE 802.11b/g WLAN miniPCI card".

It is held in place by two side metal clips which much be released before card can be removed from socket.

If you are not familiar with this sort of board socket/clips - do nothing and ask for more details because if you break the clips/socket it is hard to repair.

edit:
Some images can be seen here http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

p.dow
2012-11-09, 04:08
It is a daughter card with two black wires (the antenna) connected to it. It usually has writing "54Mbps" on it and in smaller text "IEEE 802.11b/g WLAN miniPCI card".

It is held in place by two side metal clips which much be released before card can be removed from socket.

If you are not familiar with this sort of board socket/clips - do nothing and ask for more details because if you break the clips/socket it is hard to repair.

edit:
Some images can be seen here http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

thanks for the link and reply. i found pics after i googled the subject last nite. and.... surprise. i dont have a wifi card in this unit.
if available how much are they and where can they be found ?

thanks
paul

bpa
2012-11-09, 04:20
thanks for the link and reply. i found pics after i googled the subject last nite. and.... surprise. i dont have a wifi card in this unit.
if available how much are they and where can they be found ?

Ebay is your best bet and usually less than $10/euro10. The card looks like this and compatible cards will also look like it.
http://www.tp-link.eu/pic_zoom.php?hash=05483&id=1

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95513-Compatible-WLAN-cards-for-SB3-Boom-Reciever-amp-Transporter

adhawkins
2012-11-09, 04:31
Hi,

In article <p.dow.5lreqo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
p.dow<p.dow.5lreqo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> thanks for the link and reply. i found pics after i googled the subject
> last nite. and.... surprise. i dont have a wifi card in this unit.
> if available how much are they and where can they be found ?

I did consider suggesting it might be a 'wired only' units, but your
original post did state 'wireless worked briefly.' so I discounted that!

Andy

p.dow
2012-11-09, 12:47
Hi,

In article <p.dow.5lreqo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
p.dow<p.dow.5lreqo (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> thanks for the link and reply. i found pics after i googled the subject
> last nite. and.... surprise. i dont have a wifi card in this unit.
> if available how much are they and where can they be found ?

I did consider suggesting it might be a 'wired only' units, but your
original post did state 'wireless worked briefly.' so I discounted that!

Andy

wierd.. because it did work for about 20 seconds. while i was useing the remote to try to get the wifi going the classics screen displayed a internet/radio station and i got music. but soomething seemed strange and i looked across the room and i noticed my sb radio had came on.... so i realized the classic remote must have turned it on. so i turned off the radio and the classic went off also. ( maybe i should try to duplicate that scenario.....)
oh i was really trying to get it going. i had a ethernet cable from my wireless laptop to the clasic .... but now i know that wont work.
so for now if i want to use it it has tobe eathernet from the router .
going to try and get the proper daughter board.
thanks bpa and all for help.
paul