PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox v3 screen black but s/pdif port lit up

strictmashine
2012-11-06, 11:49
My Squeezebox v3 has stopped working. The display is black, but there is light coming from the s/pdif port. I removed the wireless card and re-seated it, I carried out a restart holding the 1 button down prior to powering it up as suggested in these forums and it still isn't working. Any other suggestions?

help!

toby10
2012-11-06, 11:58
Try the Brightness button?

mikeh49
2012-11-06, 12:46
The display has probably died. Happened to me, and seems moderately common. AFAIK, there's no repair available, or even possible. However, if only the display is dead, you can communicate with it using a utility called net-UDAP that has a thread here on the forum. Using net-UDAP, you can configure the network connections and then you're able to control the player from SBS/LMS or various remote control apps. Essentially, you now have a receiver.

The configuration is command line intensive, and you need to know basic networking parameters like ip address, dhcp, dns, wpa etc. Wired is easier than wireless, but wireless can be done. You can check in on the net-UDAP thread for help and more info.

bpa
2012-11-06, 13:21
Did you try powering up without the wireless card ? A faulty wireless card can prevent power up.

strictmashine
2012-11-06, 17:35
Thanks for the suggestion. I removed wireless card and my squeezebox returned to life.

mikeh49
2012-11-07, 09:05
Thanks for the suggestion. I removed wireless card and my squeezebox returned to life.

Wish mine had done that! Congrats for fixing it.

sander
2012-11-07, 09:34

I had 2 devices fail like this. One I fixed by buying a replacement wifi card, but the other just won't work with the wifi card in any more. If the wifi card is in that one device the whole thing will just power off after about 2 minutes, but without the wifi card it works normally.

You can a replacement wifi card for about $5 delivered off ebay if you search with the number which is somewhere else in these forums.

bpa
2012-11-07, 10:17
You can a replacement wifi card for about $5 delivered off ebay if you search with the number which is somewhere else in these forums.

When I had to replace my card I found it difficult to locate an exact replacement in Europe but I found out that there are many wifi cards made for laptops (e.g. Acer, Packard Bell, Toshiba) built with same Atheros chipset and the similar physical layout of components and these worked OK.