Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenthar
    • Nov 2012

Control one Touch with another

Having never owned any, I ordered 3 touches today and yesterday. Two new, one second hand.

I'm going to place one near the place where I often lie down to rest (call it my couch) and one near my desk. Both are in the same room (living room). Both would be connected to the same DAC.

I wonder if it's necessary to connect both of them. I guess it would be more prudent, more flexible. Both would be coaxial.

But if both are turned on, they should sync with one another, right? I could just as easily start playback on the one, and have the other one deliver the actual audio.

But the thing is... I've always known there would be another electrical device in that spot (right side of desk) but I didn't know what. Then I ordered those 3 SBxs and then I realized it would be a touch. I'm also buying sleeving for the audio cables (very nice: image), and I realized I would have sleeving applied to that by-the-desk spot before I knew what to put it on. So now I know.

I guess then that the anwer will be, better just run a cable. Still I'd like to know whether it would be possible. Ah now I know. I will get sleeving for the 3rd SB as well. That's all I need.
  • mikael_b
    • Mar 2011

Yes, but why?

Two Touches in the same room connected to the same DAC? Why would you do that??
    If you just want to use the one at the couch as a remote you can, you can just configure that one as a clone of the other one, or the oher way around, in fact all three can appear as the same device if you prefer. You only need to connect one of them to your DAC and amp with cable and go wireless with the others. Only reason to sync is if you have them connected to different amps.
    On the other hand there are some good smartphone and tablet apps around you can use as remote, i use iPeng myself, both iPad and iPhone versions. You can even get playback on them, although the sync is not perfect, so you essentially get an additional player.
    But maybe you really want an excuse to expose that nice cable sheathing :-)

Comment

• Xenthar
      • Nov 2012

Haha, I'm just mad in the head :P.

I just got my first Touch in, I love it thus far. It immediately found my Boom and offered to control it! So I can clone them, that's nice.

Yes it sounds a lot more sensible to just run one cable and use the other as a controller.

Comment

• jimbobvfr400
        • Aug 2012

TBH I would have spent the extra money on a decent tablet (the new 32GB nexus 7 for example) and used that for controlling your touch. The control options are a lot more powerful using something like Squeezecommander than available on the touch itself. Each to their own I guess.

Comment

• Xenthar
          • Nov 2012

I will probably have an Android phone, at least, in the near future, to control it with.

I guess I like 'furniture' style devices. I wanted to have a stock anyway.

Maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with tablets though. The idea of having to pick up a tablet every time I want to see what's playing doesn't really appeal to me. That 'idea' might fade once I get one.

I guess it's what gets your clock ticking.

But there is still room for expenditure, so I don't have to choose either/or at this point.

Question: What is the 'clone' mode Mikael B talked about? Does it involve setting an identical name? I can't find anything else in the menu thus far. There is a synchronize option that requires you to pick a second device.
          Last edited by Xenthar; 2012-11-06, 19:54.

Comment

• tcutting
            • May 2008

I didn't understand the "clone" mode either. The Touch has 3 functions (not all need to be used) - 1 as a player. 2 as a server (if you run the "tiny LMS" within the touch with USB drive - not really highly recommended). 3 as a Controller. A touch can control ANY squeezebox player you have connected to your LMS - including it's own player, OR a different player (another of your Touch's, for example). No "clone" mode required, just choose the player you want to control.

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

Originally posted by tcutting
              I didn't understand the "clone" mode either. The Touch has 3 functions (not all need to be used) - 1 as a player. 2 as a server (if you run the "tiny LMS" within the touch with USB drive - not really highly recommended). 3 as a Controller. A touch can control ANY squeezebox player you have connected to your LMS - including it's own player, OR a different player (another of your Touch's, for example). No "clone" mode required, just choose the player you want to control.
              and you choose the player you want to control by going within the "control" touch menu and finding "choose player" and then selecting this and you should see all connected players on your network. Choose the one you want to control. Also, once you choose a player, you might want to go into the display wallpaper options and choose a DIFFERENT wallpaper for each player you can choose. This way you can tell at a glance which player the TOUCH is controlling at any given point in time.
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Xenthar
                • Nov 2012

Right. The control thing is the first thing I came across . The Touch was DESPERATE to control my Boom, so I let it. Or maybe I was desperate. Can't tell the difference :P.

I'm thinking to audio-cable both SBxs after all. Then I won't need control modes, but I need to press a button on the DAC. Well, fair enough. One of the Touches will get network cabling, the other gets wifi. I could sync them as well just so that the same information is on both displays and then I won't need to switch the DAC or switch control mode unless I want to. It will be good I think.

Gonna sleeve both audio cables like I planned .

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• mikael_b
                  • Mar 2011

Yes

That is what I referred to as clone mode, one player assumes the role of another one, sorry to cause any confusion.

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Xenthar
                    Right. The control thing is the first thing I came across . The Touch was DESPERATE to control my Boom, so I let it. Or maybe I was desperate. Can't tell the difference :P.

I'm thinking to audio-cable both SBxs after all. Then I won't need control modes, but I need to press a button on the DAC. Well, fair enough. One of the Touches will get network cabling, the other gets wifi. I could sync them as well just so that the same information is on both displays and then I won't need to switch the DAC or switch control mode unless I want to. It will be good I think.

Gonna sleeve both audio cables like I planned .

Thanks for the help!
                    this makes no sense to me, but they are your players to connect how you wish.
                    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Xenthar
                      • Nov 2012

Makes no sense to me either, but I'm just doing what I like ;D.

Usually in the end I discover what it was for :-/.

I cannot tell you why I am living without fear. In those cases when I do. If I could tell you, if I understood it myself, then that understanding would instantly invalidate any fearlessness. So, I let the understanding pass me by. I do not need to understand the choices I make. I just need to make them. That's my only job, in this life, and the next .
                      Last edited by Xenthar; 2012-11-07, 04:10.

Comment

Working...