PDA

View Full Version : Sonos vs squeezebox for whole house audio

benybrady
2012-11-04, 09:47
Hello all,
New to forum but long time user of squeezebox's. I'm building a new house and am looking to have 5 rooms able to access 5 different music. I have built in ceiling speakers. My contractor told me about sonus but I want to be able to use what I already have. I have 1 duet and 1 boom. I figured I can at least buy 4 more booms ....although they are discontinued, I can buy thru eBay. I was also told that maybe the sonos is better because they work on their own proprietary wifi which won't clog up my other wifi system. My assumption is that the squeezebox scenario is less expensive. Want to able to control all of these thru my phone. Not sure as I assume there are apps on the smartphone for both systems. Also not sure if squeezebox can retrieve my iTunes library if my pc is off.
Thx in advance.

pippin
2012-11-04, 10:07
Both can't use your iTunes library when your PC is off (unless you have a NAS or something, of course, then it works for both, at least if it's the right NAS).

The WiFi argument has a point if you really want to use 10 devices over WiFi, I would try to wire at least some.
However, even with Sonos you will need regular WiFi coverage if you want to control it with an iPhone. If you've got Android it might also work in the SonosNet.

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 10:10
How many files do you have sonos has a limit of 65000 as a best case scenario probably less in reality if you use a lot of tags

And there is some silly limits on the image size for album art especially for their handheld controller , do sonos have any scaling ?

Do you have any 24bit files ? sonos supports 16bit 44.1kHz ,you can ofcourse resample the lot ,

Search our little forum btw some people here have used both

benybrady
2012-11-04, 10:20
How many files do you have sonos has a limit of 65000 as a best case scenario probably less in reality if you use a lot of tags

And there is some silly limits on the image size for album art especially for their handheld controller , do sonos have any scaling ?

Do you have any 24bit files ? sonos supports 16bit 44.1kHz ,you can ofcourse resample the lot ,

Search our little forum btw some people here have used both

Is getting 5 booms the way to go? Or is their a better way....squeeze touch the way to go without having to buy 5 separate receivers?

garym
2012-11-04, 10:25
Is getting 5 booms the way to go? Or is their a better way....squeeze touch the way to go without having to buy 5 separate receivers?

Touch players would require either powered speakers or connection to receivers with speakers. Does a boom provide enough quality sound for you? Maybe booms or radios in bedrooms or kitchen and touch connected to your main stereo or home theater setup.

benybrady
2012-11-04, 10:30
Touch players would require either powered speakers or connection to receivers with speakers. Does a boom provide enough quality sound for you? Maybe booms or radios in bedrooms or kitchen and touch connected to your main stereo or home theater setup.

I don't plan on blasting music in the living room or bed rooms but more of background music so the boom should be enough for the speakers in these rooms correct? My duet probably wood suffice for my main tv 5.1 room correct?

epoch1970
2012-11-04, 10:37

Certainly not, Boom has internal speakers (and seems a little fragile over time).
The Touch is praised by many, high quality sound. You can integrate it to the walls in the house. See this post. (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96995-Squeezebox-Touch-Wall-mounts-available-All-colours)
You could also co-locate a computer with a multizone amp and run 5 software players. I guess sound quality will suffer a bit and reliability will require some testing. But some users go this way with success, it seems. See here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?86253-Poor-Man-s-Multiroom-Audio) and here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96210-DIY-Squeeze-house-installation) for 2 recent attempts. There are probably more.

EDIT: Boom is a fine device indeed. But it won't use in-ceiling speakers.

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 10:40
If you are building a house and the walls are open you should install some cat5 or cat6 wiring and outlets sprinkled here and there , you never now .
They are usefull for more than squeezeboxes or sonos .

You can go overboard a friend of mine has Ethernet in the bathroom too :)

Btw you have not missed the "news" that squeezeboxes are discontinued ?

benybrady
2012-11-04, 10:58
If you are building a house and the walls are open you should install some cat5 or cat6 wiring and outlets sprinkled here and there , you never now .
They are usefull for more than squeezeboxes or sonos .

You can go overboard a friend of mine has Ethernet in the bathroom too :)

Btw you have not missed the "news" that squeezeboxes are discontinued ?

I currently have squeezebox radio at my office and it is tied into a central receiver that distributes sound to 4 pairs of speakers and it works fine. I just can't control it from each individual room and it plays all of the same music. I thought the boom would take the place of a separate receiver for all of the zones. I know it is discontinued but I'm trying to forgo having 5 separate receivers or amplifiers for each zone. I think the boom would work...although I have to buy 5 for 5 zones. Didn't want to go with having to buy 5 sonos amplifiers for 5 separate zones....

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 11:16
I currently have squeezebox radio at my office and it is tied into a central receiver that distributes sound to 4 pairs of speakers and it works fine. I just can't control it from each individual room and it plays all of the same music. I thought the boom would take the place of a separate receiver for all of the zones. I know it is discontinued but I'm trying to forgo having 5 separate receivers or amplifiers for each zone. I think the boom would work...although I have to buy 5 for 5 zones. Didn't want to go with having to buy 5 sonos amplifiers for 5 separate zones....

yea but it works so much better with separate players for each zone total freedom of what’s going to play there etc .

But if you have a zone amplifier a Touch or Squeezebox classic ( SB3 ) or another squeezebox receiver is a much better choice .

You can of-course compromise having 2-3 zones in 5 rooms or something , that is a good idea connection rooms may not need their own zone no one will be able to listen separately anyway.

but on this forum you will always get the advice of getting even more squeezeboxes :)

benybrady
2012-11-04, 11:22
yea but it works so much better with separate players for each zone total freedom of what’s going to play there etc .

But if you have a zone amplifier a Touch or Squeezebox classic ( SB3 ) or another squeezebox receiver is a much better choice .

You can of-course compromise having 2-3 zones in 5 rooms or something , that is a good idea connection rooms may not need their own zone no one will be able to listen separately anyway.

but on this forum you will always get the advice of getting even more squeezeboxes :)

Will I have to get an additional amplier for each zone or can I hook the speakers directly to my boom without a separate amplifier? At $500 a piece for the sonus amplifier, it adds up if I have 5 zones.

Will the touch, or squeezebox classic allow me to run 5 zones playing different music?

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 11:32
Will I have to get an additional amplier for each zone or can I hook the speakers directly to my boom without a separate amplifier? At $500 a piece for the sonus amplifier, it adds up if I have 5 zones.

Will the touch, or squeezebox classic allow me to run 5 zones playing different music?

No , even if they have more than one output they are not separate one song per squeezebox just as the radio .

There are also software players but they don't sync that well , I'm running squeezelite rigth now on my computer and I have playback on my iPad from my LMS server vias iPeng and SqueezePad

benybrady
2012-11-04, 11:49

So it sounds like to best and most economical way to distribute music to all 5 zones with ceiling speakers is to buy 5 booms and a multiroom amplifier. My main goal is to have separate music in all the rooms and be controllable with my smartphone...correct?

epoch1970
2012-11-04, 11:55
So you intend to run the audio out cable from each Boom through the whole house, to the closet where the amp is (are) ?
Doesn't seem a good idea to me.

benybrady
2012-11-04, 11:57
So you intend to run the audio out cable from each Boom through the whole house, to the closet where the amp is (are) ?
Doesn't seem a good idea to me.

Either that or have 5 sonos amplifiers......any suggestions? My wants are simple, 5 separate zones controllable by smartphone....don't want to break the bank or have to rob it either.:-)

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 12:00
So it sounds like to best and most economical way to distribute music to all 5 zones with ceiling speakers is to buy 5 booms and a multiroom amplifier. My main goal is to have separate music in all the rooms and be controllable with my smartphone...correct?

Not my prefered solution the Radio and Boom are table radios the headphone/line out is not the most fantastic .

I would reuse stuff i laready have and place soem Boom in the actual room .

For example I have one Squuezebox Touch in my living room connected to my home cinema. one Squuezebo Touch in my kitchen connected to active speakers (speakers with built in amps) a Boom in my beedroom , a Radio that use on my balcony or bathroom .

benybrady
2012-11-04, 12:04
Not my prefered solution the Radio and Boom are table radios the headphone/line out is not the most fantastic .

I would reuse stuff i laready have and place soem Boom in the actual room .

For example I have one Squuezebox Touch in my living room connected to my home cinema. one Squuezebo Touch in my kitchen connected to active speakers (speakers with built in amps) a Boom in my beedroom , a Radio that use on my balcony or bathroom .

It's a new house build so I have ceiling speakers. I don't want to to see black boxes....radios or booms sitting on the counters. I have a central closet to house eveything.

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 12:10
It's a new house build so I have ceiling speakers. I don't want to to see black boxes....radios or booms sitting on the counters. I have a central closet to house eveything.

But why 5 * Boom ?

Used SB3's or used squeezebox recivers (duet) is not more expensive ? and are much smaller ideally 5 squeebox receivers (used from ebay) and one squeezebox controller to set them up ?

The receiver was the cheapest possible squeezebox ever it was just a tiny black box ideal for throwing into a closet ,a boom has speakers and displays and stuff you don't need and i can't power the speakers directly so amp is needed anyway ?

epoch1970
2012-11-04, 12:15
Either that or have 5 sonos amplifiers......any suggestions? My wants are simple, 5 separate zones controllable by smartphone....don't want to break the bank or have to rob it either.:-)

5 Audiosource amp-100 amps, one in the ceiling in each room. It is cheap and has auto on-off. Some users here have chosen it.
Since the amp is in the room, you have a reasonably short audio out cable between the player and the amp. And short speaker cables, too. Good for audio quality.
You can use the player of your choice, I think an SB3 is cheaper and nicer than a Boom.
This scenario has 1 exclusive benefit: you can use the IR remote.
Then you need GOOD data network between the player and the server. Wifi may be ok. If it is not, sound will break and control won't be reliable. Running gigabit ethernet between each floor, and using a wifi access point on each floor could bring fine QoS. Ethernet in each/most rooms will ensure you won't have any issue.

The other way around. Long speaker cables (not good) between in-ceiling speakers and a closet where a multiroom amp sits (or 5 amps). Place a small computer or 5 small computers (software players) or 5 SBs next to the amp(s). Use ethernet to connect the players to the server (for proper bandwidth). Make sure you have enough wifi signal in each room for the light needs of a remote controller such as iPeng.

I don't know the price of a multizone amp. But it looks like you could get away with this for about $1000, assuming you already have the smartphones and excluding cabling costs.
My POV is that I want whole-house data networking, because it is flexible. And I don't want whole-house audio cabling, because it is sub-optimal, has a single purpose (and is expensive). I would choose option 1 and break the bank on ethernet networking, not audio cabling. But as per the links I posted, option 2 has its proponents.

HTH

benybrady
2012-11-04, 12:16
But why 5 * Boom ?

Used SB3's or used squeezebox recivers (duet) is not more expensive ? and are much smaller ideally 5 squeebox receivers (used from ebay) and one squeezebox controller to set them up ?

The receiver was the cheapest possible squeezebox ever it was just a tiny black box ideal for throwing into a closet ,a boom has speakers and displays and stuff you don't need and i can't power the speakers directly so amp is needed anyway ?

I have a duet.....can this control all 5 sets of speakers independently thu a smartphone?

epoch1970
2012-11-04, 12:17
I have a duet.....can this control all 5 sets of speakers independently thu a smartphone?

Yes and No. The Controller can control 5.
The Receiver has a single audio output. You need 1 per zone.
1 controller, 5 receivers.

azinck3
2012-11-04, 12:19

No, but if you had 5 duets you could. You will need 1 squeezebox device per zone if you want discrete control over each zone. The point people are trying to make is: why buy 5 Booms? 5 Squeezebox3's (or SB2's) or 5 Touches (or even, heaven forbid, 5 Squeezebox Receivers) would be better for your use-case since you won't be using the internal speakers of the Boom anyway.

benybrady
2012-11-04, 12:29
No, but if you had 5 duets you could. You will need 1 squeezebox device per zone if you want discrete control over each zone. The point people are trying to make is: why buy 5 Booms? 5 Squeezebox3's (or SB2's) or 5 Touches (or even, heaven forbid, 5 Squeezebox Receivers) would be better for your use-case since you won't be using the internal speakers of the Boom anyway.

Seems like I am destined to have to buy 5 sonos amps for 5 different zones. I just thought I could find a less expensive way to distribute 5 different zones of music controlled by my smartphone.

garym
2012-11-04, 12:52
Yes booms plus your duet would be more than ok

benybrady
2012-11-04, 13:06
Yes booms plus your duet would be more than ok

All thru ceiling speakers?

garym
2012-11-04, 13:57

Then it is easy and cheap. Put a vortexbox appliance in your data closet. It runs LMS and also has a built in sound card that can produce I think 5 different zones of music. All controllable from smart phones and tablets. Google for their website and associated small green computer co. People are using this to create multiple zones very easily.

garym
2012-11-04, 14:03
Then it is easy and cheap. Put a vortexbox appliance in your data closet. It runs LMS and also has a built in sound card that can produce I think 5 different zones of music. All controllable from smart phones and tablets. Google for their website and associated small green computer co. People are using this to create multiple zones very easily.

Or google a bit. You can get 5 small digital amps that are the size of a cigarette pack and put these in your closet. Feed these from something. And by the way, a single touch can feed 3 zones (although all would hear the same thing). You connect to the touches analog out, s/PDF digital out and optical digital out.

With a central closet and ceiling speakers you have many, many options. And you don't need booms because you don't need the speakers. You will need amps but these can be little tiny t-amps.

toby10
2012-11-04, 14:21
I'm not understanding the reasoning for buying a player with built in speakers (Boom) to feed separate speakers in the ceiling.

garym
2012-11-04, 14:43
How many of these rooms could have the exact same thing playing? Do all 5 need to be independent. You might describe a bit how you plan to use the system. Eg do you need to sync two or more players to play the same thing?

benybrady
2012-11-04, 17:42
I'm not understanding the reasoning for buying a player with built in speakers (Boom) to feed separate speakers in the ceiling.

Sorry I don't know a whole lot about whole house audio, I just thought instead of buying 5 big amps + 5 squeezebox devices, just get 5 booms that would eliminate the need for a separate amp. Just not sure if I can tie the line out to speakers, so that it would be loud enough.....or crisp enough to get background music and maybe a little louder music to each of the zones. They would all play different music or be capable of that hence needing 5 booms.

And I wanted to be able to control all of these independently thru my smartphone. I've already tied my SB radio to 4 sets of speakers but I first had to go thru a receiver, but they playall the same music and I can't control them with my smartphone.

azinck3
2012-11-04, 20:46
Sorry I don't know a whole lot about whole house audio, I just thought instead of buying 5 big amps + 5 squeezebox devices, just get 5 booms that would eliminate the need for a separate amp. Just not sure if I can tie the line out to speakers, so that it would be loud enough.....or crisp enough to get background music and maybe a little louder music to each of the zones. They would all play different music or be capable of that hence needing 5 booms.

And I wanted to be able to control all of these independently thru my smartphone. I've already tied my SB radio to 4 sets of speakers but I first had to go thru a receiver, but they playall the same music and I can't control them with my smartphone.

You're not going to be able to use the amps built into the Booms to drive any speakers besides the speakers in the Booms. Taking into account that the amps and signal processing built into the Booms are very specifically designed for the speakers in the Booms, that you'd have to disassemble the Booms to make this work, and that you can get a used SB3 + an amp (like a T amp) for less than the cost of a Boom anyway, it's just a bad idea all-around.

You don't necessarily need 5 "big" amps; as has been mentioned. We don't know much about the speakers you're trying to drive in each zone, but assuming you don't need tons of power (since you were considering using the amps in a Boom for this) a T amp like this might be a good solution: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

Alternatively, if you're running mono sound in each zone, you could potentially pick up a used 5-channel receiver with pre-amp inputs and use 1 channel per zone. You could probably pick up something like that for $100 on ebay. Maybe less. You should talk to your installer about how many speakers you want to drive in each zone and how you'll need to wire them together to present an appropriate load to whatever amp you might choose to use.

As for the sources: I'd recommend just buying 5 squeezebox 3's or 2's. They'll cost you about $120/each on eBay. Alternatively, gary's suggestion of a Vortexbox might not be a bad one. I don't know much about what audio hardware a Vortexbox comes with (and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info online) but I'll take gary's word for it if he says it comes with sufficient hardware to drive 5 discrete stereo pairs. Note that going the Vortexbox route would still require amps and would probably be fussier for you if you're not too computer savvy.

Mnyb
2012-11-04, 21:01
You're not going to be able to use the amps built into the Booms to drive any speakers besides the speakers in the Booms. Taking into account that the amps and signal processing built into the Booms are very specifically designed for the speakers in the Booms, that you'd have to disassemble the Booms to make this work, and that you can get a used SB3 + an amp (like a T amp) for less than the cost of a Boom anyway, it's just a bad idea all-around.

You don't necessarily need 5 "big" amps; as has been mentioned. We don't know much about the speakers you're trying to drive in each zone, but assuming you don't need tons of power (since you were considering using the amps in a Boom for this) a T amp like this might be a good solution: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

Alternatively, if you're running mono sound in each zone, you could potentially pick up a used 5-channel receiver with pre-amp inputs and use 1 channel per zone. You could probably pick up something like that for $100 on ebay. Maybe less. You should talk to your installer about how many speakers you want to drive in each zone and how you'll need to wire them together to present an appropriate load to whatever amp you might choose to use.

As for the sources: I'd recommend just buying 5 squeezebox 3's or 2's. They'll cost you about $120/each on eBay. Alternatively, gary's suggestion of a Vortexbox might not be a bad one. I don't know much about what audio hardware a Vortexbox comes with (and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info online) but I'll take gary's word for it if he says it comes with sufficient hardware to drive 5 discrete stereo pairs. Note that going the Vortexbox route would still require amps and would probably be fussier for you if you're not too computer savvy.

Yea boom even have a digital cross over so it's one amp for each driver treble and bass and some eq on top off that and limitation and tailoring bass roll of vs volume to protect the speakers.
If one has a whole closet looks don't matter you can get a bunch of used or new 2ch amps and some of these class d amps don't cost much at all .
The in wall speakers what are they.

But ffs if one is building a whole house saving a 0.01$ to have an all crap sound solution :) is not my cup of tea , I think I can't contribute constructively to this .

benybrady
2012-11-04, 21:20
Yea boom even have a digital cross over so it's one amp for each driver treble and bass and some eq on top off that and limitation and tailoring bass roll of vs volume to protect the speakers.
If one has a whole closet looks don't matter you can get a bunch of used or new 2ch amps and some of these class d amps don't cost much at all .
The in wall speakers what are they.

But ffs if one is building a whole house saving a 0.01$ to have an all crap sound solution :) is not my cup of tea , I think I can't contribute constructively to this .

You are probably right, to build a new house and go cheap on a sound system in the whole scheme of things is about 0.001% of the whole project, maybe just but the bullet and buy my 5 sonos amps and sell off my SB radio, Boom and duet. That may cover the cost of 1 amp. I am a loyal SB user but probably have no choice. This is such a great forum.

azinck3
2012-11-04, 21:31
You are probably right, to build a new house and go cheap on a sound system in the whole scheme of things is about 0.001% of the whole project, maybe just but the bullet and buy my 5 sonos amps and sell off my SB radio, Boom and duet. That may cover the cost of 1 amp. I am a loyal SB user but probably have no choice. This is such a great forum.

You can do that, of course. But consider whether you genuinely prefer the Sonos product since, in my mind, you'll be paying far more to get less (Squeezebox is a lot more flexible than Sonos, if a bit more fiddly). You haven't told us: is there a reason you're not considering Squeezebox 3's? After all, you were willing to consider Booms.

benybrady
2012-11-04, 21:34

Alternatively, could I just buy 5 of these guys and 5 iPod touch and hook them independently to their own individual speakers and voila...??could I control each individual iPod with my phone?...just a thought. I watched the video on the link and he just hooked up a $22 amp to speakers and to his iPod.

musicom
2012-11-04, 21:36
You could buy a 2 channel stereo receiver from Sony or Best Buy's Insignia for $149/$129 each respectively and a SB3 or Duet Receiver for each room. Yes you don't need the tuner section but you get an amp with at least 75 watts of clean power (the Sony is rated 100 watts a 1khz) per channel, much more than the Boom and with more dynamic headroom than the Sonos. You can do this for about half the cost of the Sonos, maintain Squeezebox functionality, connect a set of real speakers in enclosures if you want for the living room (which will perform better than the ceiling speakers) and if warranted, listen to Analog local FM radio, which is better than the same station streamed due to data reduction mp3 streams via radio services.

benybrady
2012-11-04, 21:38
You can do that, of course. But consider whether you genuinely prefer the Sonos product since, in my mind, you'll be paying far more to get less (Squeezebox is a lot more flexible than Sonos, if a bit more fiddly). You haven't told us: is there a reason you're not considering Squeezebox 3's? After all, you were willing to consider Booms.

Sorry not familiar with SB3.... Do they require a separate amp? I thought since my SB radio is currently hooked up to my receiver and is hooked up to 4 sets of speakers in my office and it provides adequate background music, that I'm tied to a stand alone player with an output jack.

azinck3
2012-11-04, 21:52
Sorry not familiar with SB3.... Do they require a separate amp? I thought since my SB radio is currently hooked up to my receiver and is hooked up to 4 sets of speakers in my office and it provides adequate background music, that I'm tied to a stand alone player with an output jack.

An SB3 is basically a Boom without speakers. So yes, with an SB3 setup you would need an SB3 + amp for each zone. But you can get an SB3 for about $120 on eBay, and then just pick whatever amp you want. Since the Sonos you're looking at are $500/each you could potentially spend up to $380 per amp before hitting the price of the Sonos! But you need not spend $380/amp. A budget of $100/amp is more than sufficient and you could go as low as ~$20/amp if you really wanted.

So, just to be really clear, for each zone you could buy an SB3:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squeezebox-Network-Music-Player-black-/170936534874?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item27cc9c875a
and something like one of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

And have a very reasonable per-zone cost of < $150

If you wanted a little more powerful amp, something like one of these would give you comparable output to the Sonos unit and is still just $88/amp, putting your total cost ~$200 per zone:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

benybrady
2012-11-04, 22:02
An SB3 is basically a Boom without speakers. So yes, with an SB3 setup you would need an SB3 + amp for each zone. But you can get an SB3 for about $120 on eBay, and then just pick whatever amp you want. Since the Sonos you're looking at are $500/each you could potentially spend up to $380 per amp before hitting the price of the Sonos! But you need not spend $380/amp. A budget of $100/amp is more than sufficient and you could go as low as ~$20/amp if you really wanted.

So, just to be really clear, for each zone you could buy an SB3:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squeezebox-Network-Music-Player-black-/170936534874?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item27cc9c875a
and something like one of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

And have a very reasonable per-zone cost of < $150

If you wanted a little more powerful amp, something like one of these would give you comparable output to the Sonos unit and is still just $88/amp, putting your total cost ~$200 per zone:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

All controllable from my smartphone? Sounds like a way for me to stay with squeezebox.:-)

azinck3
2012-11-04, 22:04
All controllable from my smartphone? Sounds like a way for me to stay with squeezebox.:-)

Yes, all controllable from your smartphone.

benybrady
2012-11-04, 22:13
Yes, all controllable from your smartphone.

Could I access my iTunes folder? Only with my computer on correct?

toby10
2012-11-05, 03:47
No matter which speakers you choose they must have an amp to drive them. Small 2ch amp, self powered speakers, full receiver, etc...
Boom's audio out can only be used for headphones or extremely small speakers, absent an amp after the audio out.

azinck3
2012-11-05, 06:38
Could I access my iTunes folder? Only with my computer on correct?

Yes.

benybrady
2012-11-05, 07:05
Yes.

Sounds like I will not be sacrificing quality or features by going the squeezebox route with the individual small amps at the same time saving close to $2k. I wonder if anyone out there has gone this route.

azinck3
2012-11-05, 07:22
Sounds like I will not be sacrificing quality or features by going the squeezebox route with the individual small amps at the same time saving close to $2k. I wonder if anyone out there has gone this route.

Yes! It's the basic squeezebox way of doing things and it's what virtually every squeezebox user does. One squeezebox per zone, with some form of amplification for each zone.

Let me just now question one more of your assumptions: why are you running all the cables to a closet somewhere? Unless you're using other audio sources that you want to share across multiple zones, or you can't get network coverage (either cabled or wifi) to each of your zones, then you don't really have any need for the centralized closet. Why not just hook up an SB3 and the amp right in the room they're destined to control? You could hide the amp away (in the wall? ceiling?) but put the SB3 on display so that you have a convenient way to see what's playing in that room. I also find my SB3 displays useful as a weather station using the SuperDateTime plugin. Seems a waste to tuck them away in a closet.

benybrady
2012-11-05, 07:45
Yes! It's the basic squeezebox way of doing things and it's what virtually every squeezebox user does. One squeezebox per zone, with some form of amplification for each zone.

Let me just now question one more of your assumptions: why are you running all the cables to a closet somewhere? Unless you're using other audio sources that you want to share across multiple zones, or you can't get network coverage (either cabled or wifi) to each of your zones, then you don't really have any need for the centralized closet. Why not just hook up an SB3 and the amp right in the room they're destined to control? You could hide the amp away (in the wall? ceiling?) but put the SB3 on display so that you have a convenient way to see what's playing in that room. I also find my SB3 displays useful as a weather station using the SuperDateTime plugin. Seems a waste to tuck them away in a closet.

It's a new house build and I think it looks nice not to see any black box on the counter. Where would I tuck the amp? If its in the wall, how do I access it if it need to be changes out or it breaks down?

azinck3
2012-11-05, 07:53
It's a new house build and I think it looks nice not to see any black box on the counter. Where would I tuck the amp? If its in the wall, how do I access it if it need to be changes out or it breaks down?

You could stick the amp behind a service panel or in the ceiling (accessible via the attic).

I understand not wanting a box around; I like the minimalist look, too. But I also like being able to see the current temperature and what's playing. I just wanted to be sure you realized that you didn't *need* a centralized closet since a squeezebox system allows you to avoid having to build a "conventional" multi-zone audio system (no need to share audio sources and sync is accomplished via the network, not physical switches).

benybrady
2012-11-05, 08:22
You could stick the amp behind a service panel or in the ceiling (accessible via the attic).

I understand not wanting a box around; I like the minimalist look, too. But I also like being able to see the current temperature and what's playing. I just wanted to be sure you realized that you didn't *need* a centralized closet since a squeezebox system allows you to avoid having to build a "conventional" multi-zone audio system (no need to share audio sources and sync is accomplished via the network, not physical switches).

Great idea and definitely something to think about. A closet may give mt the most flexibility if something down the road comes along that is a better option or if I go to sonus. Although the thought of know who is playing without having to look at your phone sounds like a great option.

aubuti
2012-11-05, 09:14
As aznick3 and others have pointed out, this is a common approach for SB users. And I expect for Sonos users, too, as many of them use the unamplified player (called Connect) with a separate amp instead of using the player with the built-in amp (called Connect:Amp). And driving in-ceiling speakers with the line out from a Boom is sheer lunacy, in my opinion. If you want/have passive ceiling speakers then you really need something designed to be connected them (which in turn require amps) -- that would be an SB2, SB3, Duet Receiver, or Touch.

In my home we have a mix of hidden systems such as you want and "exposed" systems with black (or silver) amplifiers/boxes sitting on shelves. For the hidden systems I have ceiling speakers in the kitchen, with an AudioSource AMP100 and SB2 tucked away behind closed doors on the top shelf of the kitchen pantry (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=285125). I added on-wall volume controls so that you can easily turn the volume up or down without reaching for the remote. That also allows for different volume levels in different parts of the kitchen, because I'm driving two pair of speakers there.

The other hidden system is on the back deck (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?19817-A-photo-of-your-Squeezebox-setup-(please)&p=604307&#post604307. I used another AudioSource AMP100 and hid it in the basement with a Duet Receiver, then ran speaker cable outside to outdoor speakers (in-ceiling speakers don't work when there's no ceiling). That system also has an inline volume control mounted to a fence post.

Finally, the "exposed" systems (including a Touch, SB2, SB3, Boom, and Radio): http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?19817-A-photo-of-your-Squeezebox-setup-(please)&p=604306&#post604306

erland
2012-11-05, 10:22
Alternatively, could I just buy 5 of these guys and 5 iPod touch and hook them independently to their own individual speakers and voila...??could I control each individual iPod with my phone?...just a thought. I watched the video on the link and he just hooked up a $22 amp to speakers and to his iPod.

Isn't the price of a iPod Touch about the same as a Squeezebox ? So why not get the real thing ?

You can definitely run an iPod Touch for each zone with iPeng app with playback option to turn it into a Squeezebox and after that you can remote control it from a iPhone, iPod Touch or IPad like any other Squeezebox. The only limitation with this solution is if you plan to use some of the premium streaming services provided by mysqueezebox.com, like for example Deezer, Rhapsody or similar, because these premium streaming services are blocked on third party squeezebox apps by Logitech.

pippin
2012-11-05, 10:37
Deezer works with iPeng, so does MOG. Spotify works with the 3rd party plugin.
I believe in reality it's just Rhapsody/Napster and Pandora which do not work and you can get Pandora to work if you sync with a real Squeezebox and it might work if you've got a premium account, can't test this from here.

azinck3
2012-11-05, 10:43
Isn't the price of a iPod Touch about the same as a Squeezebox ? So why not get the real thing ?

You can definitely run an iPod Touch for each zone with iPeng app with playback option to turn it into a Squeezebox and after that you can remote control it from a iPhone, iPod Touch or IPad like any other Squeezebox. The only limitation with this solution is if you plan to use some of the premium streaming services provided by mysqueezebox.com, like for example Deezer, Rhapsody or similar, because these premium streaming services are blocked on third party squeezebox apps by Logitech.

Other downside of going with the iPod solution is that hooking it up is more of a hassle. You probably want a dock which will add significantly to the cost and docks with digital output are few and far between (not that the OP cares about digital out right now, but he might in the future). iPeng is an awesome way to extend the usefulness of Apple hardware you already have and might want for a variety of uses. But if you're looking to buy an iDevice to use *solely* as a squeezebox, then you're probably better off buying a real squeezebox (like an SB3).

garym
2012-11-05, 11:14
Alternatively, gary's suggestion of a Vortexbox might not be a bad one. I don't know much about what audio hardware a Vortexbox comes with (and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info online) but I'll take gary's word for it if he says it comes with sufficient hardware to drive 5 discrete stereo pairs. Note that going the Vortexbox route would still require amps and would probably be fussier for you if you're not too computer savvy.

Agree 100% with above. I suspect you'd still need 5 T-amps or something. And although this would all work nicely, it requires a little bit of knowledge to setup. I haven't done this myself and I'm only relying on what I read at the vortexbox forums. But I'm sure people do in fact use the system this way. I personally use the VB only as a server to feed music to my various squeezeboxes (which creates my whole house audio system)

garym
2012-11-05, 11:16

Yes, you could have 5 Touch players (or SB2 or SB3 players). Each one feeds an inexpensive t-amp that feeds the speakers. The 5 players have 5 different names. And you can can control any of the players from an iphone (running ipeng) or ipad (running ipengHD or Squeezepad) or from various android apps. (you can control music selection to all 5 players from a *single* server (a NAS or PC running LMS with your music files attached). You can control volume, on/off, etc. as well. And you can either synch one or more players to do the same thing or play something different on all 5 players (even though being fed music from a SINGLE server).

Seems perfect to me.

garym
2012-11-05, 11:20
regarding, "why not just spend the money and go with SONOS". Speaking personally, the cost is a zero issue for me but yet SONOS would be way down on my list as an option for whole house audio. It has too many limitations.

bluegaspode
2012-11-05, 11:59
As much as I hate to say it: a discontinued product isn't a good choice for a whole new house either?

garym
2012-11-05, 12:15
As much as I hate to say it: a discontinued product isn't a good choice for a whole new house either?

True, but he does already own several SB players. (and once apple really cranks up in this area, Sonos won't be long for this world either).

azinck3
2012-11-05, 12:43

Eh, depends on your use case. I'm disappointed that the product's been discontinued but I haven't really liked any of the products since the SB3 and I don't use mysb.com so as long as I can buy stuff used on eBay at not-astronomical prices I'll stick with SB til something better comes along.

As long as you're not too reliant on mysb.com I see no reason not to invest in Squeezeboxes.

pippin
2012-11-05, 13:06

At least when it comes to relying on it, like mounting stuff into walls etc. that's certainly true.

froth
2012-11-05, 16:34
I would think as much as I love the squeeze products, you should not consider using them for a new installation where the installation cannot be easily changed due to the fact that the good squeeze stuff has been discountinued and there is no information on replacement technology. So I would consider doing things like wiring in a closet of squeeze devices like SB3 or Touches to amps and then speaker wire to the rooms something that would be safe and easier to replace / reconfigure using different technology if you had to switch out of the squeeze platform.

pippin
2012-11-05, 16:41
Well, to a certain degree you will have to plan for that anyway.
The house will last longer than the audio system. Period. Even if the company is still around, replacement units will likely look different when the one you currently buy breaks down.

Since audio cables, speakers and stuff are pretty much standardized this pretty much only affects mounting controllers into walls, as far as I can see. Hidden stuff is hidden so can be exchanged anyway and mobile controllers only live for three years anyway....

musicom
2012-11-05, 20:48

We have 5 rooms in 2 zones using Squeezebox 3 (SB3), Duets or Touch devices as the signal source. Some rooms have Home theatre as the main activity, with a Squeezebox source for some 2 channel audio listening, another has a high end stereo system while others have just a SB3 and a 2 channel power amp or stereo receiver to power separate speakers in the room. While none of my amps are small (120 watts/ch in computer & bedroom) you can choose a small amp suitable for background listening now and later upgrade to a more powerful amp later.

All are controlled by either Squeezebox IR remotes, SB Controllers, iPod touch with ipeng, web interface on computers or Android tablets.

benybrady
2012-11-06, 18:57
We have 5 rooms in 2 zones using Squeezebox 3 (SB3), Duets or Touch devices as the signal source. Some rooms have Home theatre as the main activity, with a Squeezebox source for some 2 channel audio listening, another has a high end stereo system while others have just a SB3 and a 2 channel power amp or stereo receiver to power separate speakers in the room. While none of my amps are small (120 watts/ch in computer & bedroom) you can choose a small amp suitable for background listening now and later upgrade to a more powerful amp later.

All are controlled by either Squeezebox IR remotes, SB Controllers, iPod touch with ipeng, web interface on computers or Android tablets.

Are you worried about the discontinued service down the road. I have a new house build and am debating to go the squeezebox route which I absolutely love or go the sonos route which I hear is seamless.

musicom
2012-11-06, 21:12
Are you worried about the discontinued service down the road. I have a new house build and am debating to go the squeezebox route which I absolutely love or go the sonos route which I hear is seamless.

No, I just purchased a second Touch as a spare and also have a second Duet boxed as a spare. Over the years I have used and continue to useseveral orphaned hifi devices: 3 Carver power amps, 3 Soundstream preamps & a tuner, 6 Philips CD players, a David Hafler preamp and 6 Nakamichi cassette decks. Granted they are electronic devices not subject to the need to have a server in the cloud or updated software subject to the whims of Apple or Microsoft, but I've stopped waiting in line for the latest computer operating system roll out.

My decision to stay with the Squeezebox system is based on the quality audio performance that could seemingly be bettered at this time at about 3 times the price. I considered Sonos but the quality edge still goes to Squeezebox (I compared Stereophile test results)

Most critical listening is of FLAC files with podcasts being #2. Slacker radio is a distant 3rd to discover new music artists ( which leads to CD purchases to rip to flac.

benybrady
2012-11-06, 21:42
No, I just purchased a second Touch as a spare and also have a second Duet boxed as a spare. Over the years I have used and continue to useseveral orphaned hifi devices: 3 Carver power amps, 3 Soundstream preamps & a tuner, 6 Philips CD players, a David Hafler preamp and 6 Nakamichi cassette decks. Granted they are electronic devices not subject to the need to have a server in the cloud or updated software subject to the whims of Apple or Microsoft, but I've stopped waiting in line for the latest computer operating system roll out.

My decision to stay with the Squeezebox system is based on the quality audio performance that could seemingly be bettered at this time at about 3 times the price. I considered Sonos but the quality edge still goes to Squeezebox (I compared Stereophile test results)

Most critical listening is of FLAC files with podcasts being #2. Slacker radio is a distant 3rd to discover new music artists ( which leads to CD purchases to rip to flac.

My plan is to wire my Duet, and a couple of spare duet receivers to individual amps hooked to zone speakers, 5-6 zones in total. My amps will be the inexpensive $25 amps that were quoted earlier in the thread loop. Space is a premium and my closet is small and although I like to think I'm an audiophile, I'm an imposter who likes nice music. Heck, I had to google what FLAC and the other acronyms mean. Probably going to purchase a Touch soon to put this by my bedroom and one in the living room so people can see what is being played. The other 3 will just be the duet network receiver tucked away in the closet where I can just control it with smartphone or ipad and more for just background music.

Osamede
2012-11-07, 15:10
I wouldn't worry about discontinuation from a hardware perspective. Between Squeezeplay and Ipeng you basically are hardware independent in terms of running a Squeezebox setup. With new touchscreen LCDs and all-in-one PCs you can basically roll your own Squeezebox Touch if you need to replace one in the future.