PDA

View Full Version : Qobuz streaming (inc FLAC) and download site.

JohnB
2012-11-03, 04:34
I've recently come an extremely interesting French webite called Qobuz after it was enthusiastically recommended by friends. It has a premium subscription streaming at 320kbps (not sure of the format) and lossless FLAC, with clients for android, ipad, iphone, windows and Macos, plus a web player. The windows desktop player has built in support for windows kernel, ASIO. ASIO4ALL and WASAPI.

http://www.qobuz.com/

Also registering on the site enables you to download albums in 24/96, 16/44.1, 320 kbps mp3. The prices are sometimes the CD prices for FLAC downloads, but can be fairly reasonable - very reasonable indeed compared to download prices on the Linn website.

Not only that but they appear, from time to time, to have extremely cheap multi-disc set downloads - my interest in in classical and there have recently been Peter Hurford's Complete Bach Organ Works (17CDs) and Aeolian Quartet's complete Haydn String Quartets (22CDs), both for 7 Euros. (Sadly I registered too late to take advantage of those offers.)

The drawbacks are:

(a) The website is in French, so Google Translate is a boon. Even so, for non-French speakers it is a bit of a hassle having to constantly refer to Google (or Bing) translate. Though I understand they have plans to role the site out across europe, so that will probably solve the language problem.

(b) After you register from the UK you get a message that "This article is not available in your country yet (UNITED KINGDOM)" when you try to purchase or stream anything. However, you can e-mail them via there web option requesting access and this seems to always be granted (at least for people in the UK).

(c) The premium streaming service isn't exactly cheap

If this website proves as good at it seems it would be wonderful if some helpful developer created a plugin for Squeezebox!!! (The Qobuz developers seem very tech savy so I guess they would be happy to provide the necessary guidance.)

pierrepoulpe
2012-11-06, 01:48
plugin in development, see here : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97146-Qobuz-com-streaming-plugin

(did you try to say in the subscription that you live in France? Or is it detecting your IP?)

matka
2012-11-07, 09:39
Also registering on the site enables you to download albums in 24/96, 16/44.1, 320 kbps mp3. The prices are sometimes the CD prices for FLAC downloads, but can be fairly reasonable - very reasonable indeed compared to download prices on the Linn website.

Not only that but they appear, from time to time, to have extremely cheap multi-disc set downloads - my interest in in classical and there have recently been Peter Hurford's Complete Bach Organ Works (17CDs) and Aeolian Quartet's complete Haydn String Quartets (22CDs), both for 7 Euros. (Sadly I registered too late to take advantage of those offers.)

I've been using qobuz for more than a year, when browsing I use Chrome Web Browser, it translates the whole page on the fly if you wish. Unfortunately, this does not work with the annoying, jumping graphics that they use often (Flash ?).

As far as prices are concerned, my first stop for download is Presto (your backyard I believe), however Presto selection of downloads is not as impressive as qobuz.

One word of warning for major labels that belong to Universal Group. I have found on few downloads from Harmonia Mundi that the flac files are altered by watermarking. If you open a flac file in an audio spectrum viewer (for example Audigy), you would see a thick bar of frequencies at around 19.5 kHz. I could not hear the inserted frequencies, also did not have CD's to compare, but they are clearly manipulating the files. The suspicion is not on qobuz manipulating the files but rather on Universal when selling to resellers.

Particular download I'm referring to is Schubert Quintet with Arcanto Quartet. http://tinyurl.com/c5fuhjj

Flac dowlnoads are advertised as an exact copy of CD, so for me this has disqualified UG flac downloads and the resellers. Back to CD ripping if I need flac.

This might not be important to you, but I think we all should be aware that this file manipulation happens.

Pascal Hibon
2014-01-31, 05:56
From time to time I visit the Qobuz site to query for some albums. But in many cases the search comes up empty. This suggests to me that there library is not as large as Spotify's. They seem to be very French minded. Are there any people here who made the switch from Soptify to Qobuz and care to share their experiences?

local.bin
2014-03-26, 04:27
Has anyone outside of France signed up for the french streaming service at all?

Want to sign up, but don't want to get cutoff mid term!

netchord
2014-03-26, 05:21

yes, i have, and i love it. the hi-res FLAC subscription is wonderful, clearly better than 320 from Spotify, MOG, Beats, etc.

local.bin
2014-03-26, 05:24
yes, i have, and i love it. the hi-res FLAC subscription is wonderful, clearly better than 320 from Spotify, MOG, Beats, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply netchord.

Yes, I am on the trial and like it a lot, especially with the plugin here :)

Do you use a VPN to stream once the account is registered and paid in french?

I have successfully purchased and started the trail in french and wanted to proceed, but don't have a VPN with enough bandwidth to use it to stream flac.

I was hoping it would allow streaming without the VPN once setup, or does it act like a spottily holiday and cut you off after a month on holiday, with the ip being seen as outside of france?

Julf
2014-03-26, 06:23
the hi-res FLAC subscription is wonderful, clearly better than 320 from Spotify, MOG, Beats, etc.

So you managed to do a controlled double-blind ABX comparision?

matka
2014-03-26, 06:30
Thanks for the quick reply netchord.
Do you use a VPN to stream once the account is registered and paid in french?
I was hoping it would allow streaming without the VPN once setup, or does it act like a spottily holiday and cut you off after a month on holiday, with the ip being seen as outside of france?
In my experience, once you signed up, no VPN or geolocation spoofing is required.

matka
2014-03-26, 06:33

I'm with qobuz for more than a year, once you sign up (some people use VPN, some send an email to qobuz) you should be ok. I queried once my setup and my location was set to France.

local.bin
2014-03-26, 08:40
In my experience, once you signed up, no VPN or geolocation spoofing is required.

Thanks for the further clarification :)

Did you manage to change the apps to english with a french account, or do you speak french; or just get over it and use the icons in the app to know what they are?

Wombat
2014-03-26, 09:49
Works nicely here from germany. The downloadspeed is good and the newsletter selection configuration is well done.
One EP i purchased is named wrongly. I informed qobuz to name it correctly and had a friendly response but the name never changed, so no idea how good their support really is :)

local.bin
2014-03-26, 11:44
Works nicely here from germany. The downloadspeed is good and the newsletter selection configuration is well done.
One EP i purchased is named wrongly. I informed qobuz to name it correctly and had a friendly response but the name never changed, so no idea how good their support really is :)

Great thanks for the info.

Mnyb
2014-03-26, 12:26
Managed to register from Sweden and buy some stuff .

Some albums are geofenced but Qobuz download shop itself seems not to be .
So it's an usefull option all over Europe at least :)

Just a shame that some albums are restricted , but there is torrent for that ( if they don't want my money fine )