PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy? Repair?

plympton
2012-10-30, 01:16
Anyone have a lead on where to buy Classics / Duets / Receivers?

I have a classic that just gave out, and would like to replace it. (it reboots on playing music - removed wireless card, hooked it via ethernet, still reboots randomly... sad sad day)

Thanks!
-Dan

aubuti
2012-10-30, 07:01
Those products have been discontinued for years. There were some posts recently about random retailers who had apparently stumbled upon old SB inventory -- sorry, but I don't have any of the links handy, but if you search the forums for posts over the past 1-2 months using the terms SB3 or Classic then you might find the threads. And if you're very lucky the retailers may still have some left.

Other than that I'd say your best options are the second hand market. eBay, Craigslist, and possibly audiogon may have some from time to time. I expect it's not that frequent, so you probably need to be patient, and then strike fast when one appears.

EDIT: Did you do an Xilink (sp?) reset?

plympton
2012-10-30, 10:50
Sadly, I reprogrammed it, and it worked again for a while, and then - poof, dead, reboot. Sadface. :-(.

I can get a refurb Radio for cheap and use the audio output of that (but it's SqueezeOS, not been my BFF), but I'm going to try a Raspberry PI I have laying around w/ Squeezeslave... though I think Pandora won't work. Another Sadface :-(

aubuti
2012-10-30, 11:10
Sorry to hear that :-(
Re Squeezeslave + Raspberry Pi, you may be able to get Pandora to work if you have a paid Pandora One account (US$36 / year in the US). I don't have a paid Pandora account so I can't test it to confirm, but maybe someone else will.
Good luck!

kkitts
2012-10-30, 11:18
Sadly, I reprogrammed it, and it worked again for a while, and then - poof, dead, reboot. Sadface. :-(.

I can get a refurb Radio for cheap and use the audio output of that (but it's SqueezeOS, not been my BFF), but I'm going to try a Raspberry PI I have laying around w/ Squeezeslave... though I think Pandora won't work. Another Sadface :-(

I would be interested to hear how you make out with the new Raspberry Pi. I too like the old classic squeeze boxes and would like to craft a similar capability out of a a raspberry pi. It is possible to to get USB audio out of a raspberry pi and you can get relatively inexpensive USB to audio adapters off of Amazon that have reasonable audio quality. You could forego a hardware user interface and just use iPeng of SqueezePad to control the device. You have heard of www.squeezeplug.de, right?

Has anyone crafted a raspberry pi along the lines I noted above (using USB audio out to improve on the raspberry pi's somewhat lower quality audio out)?

Thanks,

Kevin

plympton
2012-10-30, 14:03
Confirmed: I got a Raspberry Pi (was wonder what to do with it), used Raspian, and followed this Blog (http://dabdig.blogspot.com/2012/05/running-squeezeslave-on-raspberry-pi.html) - works great. And yes, it runs Pandora if you set the Mac address to the requested range (use the -m option or just put it in the /etc/init.d/squeezeslave file - it's pretty obvious where to put it in the file) of 00:04:20:00:00:01.

Since Analog pops, I plan on getting a USB audio adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351630684&sr=8-1&keywords=c+media+usb+headphone+set). There are many HDMI -> RCA adapters, but they're in the $30 range, so for $7, this is worth a shot.

It's not a classic, but it's doable. Picking up a receiver from eBay might be a better idea, since they're self contained, have WIFI, etc... fun experiment though.

Now someone has to come up with a VFD / LCD display. :-)

mikeh49
2012-10-31, 08:19
@plympton - PM sent