PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player !! problem

Bowler
2012-10-24, 16:05
I have recently installed Squeezebox Duet and it's working well but I have a problem with WMP. When it automatically scanned my music files it put them all in to albums etc, which is fine. However, it has also sorted by genre and THEY'RE ALL WRONG. Actually, they're not ALL wrong but many are. for instance, some "Jazz" is listed as "Fusion". Many "Big Band" listed as "Easy Listening" etc. Is there a way to change this? I suppose I copuld be accused of nit-picking but it would be nice to get it right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

dasmueller
2012-10-24, 17:57
do not use WMP for tagging your files. Use a program such as MP3Tag and you will have much better results. That being said no program including online databases is perfect especially for things like the genre tag. It is work, but checking tags as you add to your library is critical to acheiving what you want

w3wilkes
2012-10-24, 19:47
You should also make sure that the WMP setting to retrieve info from the internet is shut off (Organize -> Options -> Library tab). This could undo anything you do to your tags if allowed.

Bowler
2012-10-25, 18:05
Many thanks to all for their help. Am now using MP3 tagger and everything is fine.

Regards

Art

dasmueller
2012-10-25, 19:06
Glad things are better for you. Much of this is a learning curve for all of us. Many assume that canned programs like WMP will do what we want and then find out that it is not the case. I would also suggest using Winamp as a pc based audio player.

Mnyb
2012-10-25, 22:09
Glad things are better for you. Much of this is a learning curve for all of us. Many assume that canned programs like WMP will do what we want and then find out that it is not the case. I would also suggest using Winamp as a pc based audio player.

+1
He he , a learning experience for everyone I remember starting WMP in win95 " it can't be that bad " yes it can :)

Bowler
2012-10-25, 23:03

I will try WinAmp. One of the annoying things ir the genre lists in the various taggers don't really match up with the one used by WMP '''For instance, there is a "Piano Jazz" in WMP but nowhere else, it seems.

Another gripe I've got is this: I have a number of CD's by jazz pianist Dave McKenna. WMP has classified some of these as "Piano Jazz" and others as "Jazz". Why should this be? And there doesn't seem to be any way I can force a change. Perhaps I'm being too pedantic !!

Regards and thanks

Art

toby10
2012-10-26, 03:48
WMP does not recognize your MP3Tag edits for genre?

dasmueller
2012-10-26, 06:57
You might want to check for extended tags as well. Right click in MP3Tag.

aubuti
2012-10-26, 07:01
I will try WinAmp. One of the annoying things ir the genre lists in the various taggers don't really match up with the one used by WMP '''For instance, there is a "Piano Jazz" in WMP but nowhere else, it seems.

Another gripe I've got is this: I have a number of CD's by jazz pianist Dave McKenna. WMP has classified some of these as "Piano Jazz" and others as "Jazz". Why should this be? And there doesn't seem to be any way I can force a change. Perhaps I'm being too pedantic !!
When it comes to tags, and especially genres, pedantic is in the eye of the beholder.

My advice is not to let WMP, or any other software, select your genres for you. Ignore whatever prefab lists of genres that WMP, Winamp, iTunes, and the rest of them have.

You take control of the genres, and classify things things the way you want and tag them that way with mp3tag. If you've changed the tags in mp3tag and WMP refuses to recognize the changes, that's another reason to dump WMP.

dasmueller
2012-10-26, 07:10
+1 on what Aubuti says. You should control your tags not the software.

One tool I used when 1st setting up my library was to use Squeezeplay on my PC. I could look at things such as an album showing 2x or a genre tag I had not assigned. I found many issues there which I fixed to make my library appear more correctly and how I wanted it to. It's an ongoing process because we being human are imperfect.

Apesbrain
2012-10-26, 07:12
While your files are in Mp3tag, highlight them and press "ALT+T" to display "Extended Tags". You may see those files have another "genre-like" tag uniquely written and displayed by WMP that is superceding your edits. (This should cease to be a problem if you stop using WMP.)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757917(v=vs.85).aspx

[Sorry dasmueller, didn't see your earlier post.]

garym
2012-10-26, 07:17
When it comes to tags, and especially genres, pedantic is in the eye of the beholder.

My advice is not to let WMP, or any other software, select your genres for you. Ignore whatever prefab lists of genres that WMP, Winamp, iTunes, and the rest of them have.

You take control of the genres, and classify things things the way you want and tag them that way with mp3tag. If you've changed the tags in mp3tag and WMP refuses to recognize the changes, that's another reason to dump WMP.

Agree, I'd say that the automatically offered GENRE from metadata databases is not what I personally want 90% of the time. When ripping my CDs to FLAC with dbpoweramp, I typically change the Genre before ripping. And with already ripped albums (where perhaps I change my mind), I use mp3tag to change GENRE.

dasmueller
2012-10-26, 09:18
I suggest you develop a system for tagging-what fields you are going to use and how you enter data, and try to keep to it as much as possible. You might want to have a record to refer to. Helps to be a bit anal about it. I have been at this for about 2.5 yrs and still find issues that need fixing.

Also make sure you have a backup of your library and update it periodically as well.

RonM
2012-10-26, 11:27
I sometimes edit tags and sometimes don't. As a result I have something like 150 different tags applied to my music. Totally useless.

What I'd like would be to use maybe 6 different tags, and fit all my music into that so I had some way of doing a preliminary sort, but I can never figure out what those should be. And with MANY albums, it's unlikely I'll ever sort it out.

R.

garym
2012-10-26, 11:35
I sometimes edit tags and sometimes don't. As a result I have something like 150 different tags applied to my music. Totally useless.

What I'd like would be to use maybe 6 different tags, and fit all my music into that so I had some way of doing a preliminary sort, but I can never figure out what those should be. And with MANY albums, it's unlikely I'll ever sort it out.

R.

I Mostly use

Rock/Pop
Blues
Country
Folk
Latin
Jazz
Vocal Jazz
Opera
Classical
World
Spoken Word
Live Concert

I used to try to have finer categories for rock and pop but too many albums that fell within or across genres. And I have very little classical.

dasmueller
2012-10-26, 12:11
For Live Concert I put the location and date and sometimes the venue in the album field. Then I know it's a live show. How do you use the Live Concert genre tag gary ?

garym
2012-10-26, 12:21
For Live Concert I put the location and date and sometimes the venue in the album field. Then I know it's a live show. How do you use the Live Concert genre tag gary ?

My album name is date and venue, that is: 1969-12-26 - SMU McFarlin Auditorium

Then I put live concert as genre. This way I can keep my live concert shows out of any random playlists using genres and dynamic playlists. And I have many hundreds of live concerts.

Note for officially released live albums (allman bros at Fillmore) I'd put rock/pop as genre.

dasmueller
2012-10-26, 12:50
And thus you avoid the chatter that often comes at the beginning or end of a track and also the intro tracks ?

garym
2012-10-26, 12:57
And thus you avoid the chatter that often comes at the beginning or end of a track and also the intro tracks ?

Mostly I just prefer to listen to entire concerts if thats what im interested in (and not hear any of these tracks when doing any random song playlists).

Mnyb
2012-10-26, 17:51
In flac files you can have more than one of each tag so multiple genre tags should be possible .

And I also have Xmas music as a genre that I can exclude for random play , unless it is Xmas .

garym
2012-10-26, 18:01
In flac files you can have more than one of each tag so multiple genre tags should be possible .

And I also have Xmas music as a genre that I can exclude for random play , unless it is Xmas .

Yep, I do a bit of this too, but not for live concerts. Though I might reconsider that now that I think of it. With other genres I sometimes add a second genre that helps with certain searching (eg certain venues where I've seen acts, and I also do this with Christmas tunes)