PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Radio or Squeezebox Classic for better audio out to amp?

itm
2012-10-21, 15:14
I want to replace my Squeezebox Duet with something that has a front panel display. It'll be hooked up to a stereo amp. My question is: what will give better audio quality to the amp:
- phono out from a Squeezebox classic
- 3.5mm to phono out from one of the new Squeezebox radios (which seem very reasonably priced)

aubuti
2012-10-21, 16:19
The SB3/Classic. If you can't find one then you should consider a Touch instead of a Radio.

garym
2012-10-21, 19:17
Agree.

itm
2012-10-22, 00:09
I suspected that the Touch would be recommended, but it's hard to justify as it would be double the cost of the Radio!

Mnyb
2012-10-22, 03:06
I suspected that the Touch would be recommended, but it's hard to justify as it would be double the cost of the Radio!

If audio quality is not a concern at all .

And the display size is very small on radio not usable over a distance here classic is the best and Touch second .

And the size of the device very clunky to have a radio for this purpose.

Touch and Classic has RCA analog Coax digital optical digital and headphone out .

Plan for the future would it be plausible that you ever need a digital output in the foreseeable future ? for example .

No squeezebox other than the Transporter has a suignificant cost it use usually <0,1% music collection :)

aubuti
2012-10-22, 13:39
Certainly if you can get a SB3/Classic for a lot less than a Touch you'd be fine going with that, but they are not always easy to find.

And you did ask about better audio quality. The Radio is fine for what it is -- a table radio -- but it's not a great choice to plug into an amplifier. The RCA outputs on a SB3 or Touch are likely much cleaner than the headphone output on the Radio. Or for that matter, than the headphone outputs on the SB3 or Touch themselves.