PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality comparison between classic SB3, Duet, Touch etc

jezbo
2012-10-18, 04:57
Will the various devices intended to route the analog signal through a hi-fi have much the same sound quality? Are the DACs the same? Or have they improved (Touch > Duet > SB3)?

toby10
2012-10-18, 05:13
Duet & SB3 are very similar architecture and sound. Touch definitely has a better DAC.
Plus Touch can do hi-res and has more native audio codecs.

garym
2012-10-18, 05:23
Will the various devices intended to route the analog signal through a hi-fi have much the same sound quality? Are the DACs the same? Or have they improved (Touch > Duet > SB3)?

Many have reported that the TOUCH is "better" in terms of analog (the TOUCH internal DAC is better vs older models). The Touch is also reported to be a better digital transport connecting to other DACs. Search the forums for about a thousand posts discussing this issue in more detail, some including measurements, etc. from folks like Phil Leigh and John Swenson.

banned for life
2012-10-18, 15:59

The electronics you feed, the speakers, and their room placement will make vastly more difference than any purported difference in the particular SlimDevices product you choose.

bFORl

musicom
2012-10-18, 22:50
I have all 3 and find the Touch sounds best, with a tossup between the Duet and SB3, with a slight edge to the latter. All 3 use different DACs, Burr-Brown, Wolfson and AK, respectively. SB & DUET are 24 bit 48khz units and the Touch is 24 /96. Unfortunately for me, there are only about 20 albums available in 24/ 96 FLAC that I like and 1 that I would buy and it has an analog master with limited dynamic range under today's standards. (I have 2 lp versions and 3 cd versions and listen to the vinyl for the best sound so I haven't jumped to buy the " hi rez" version.).