PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy a Harmony Remote

bobharp
2012-10-15, 18:31
Really bad timing. My Harmony remote died (yet again).
Let see.. My Squeezeboxes have never failed me and I'm on my 4th Harmony remote.

Given Logitech's dwindling support of our beloved product should I purchase another?

SuperQ
2012-10-15, 22:15
Yea, I've had much worse luck with the reliability of the Harmony remotes. And with the dropping of squeezebox line I'm thinking about trying to find something new for when my 900 dies.

I think the physical remote hardware industry is a dead end, niche thing.

Something like this is interesting:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/beacon-android

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-IP2IR-iTach-Wired/dp/B003BFTKUC

It's too bad the reviews make it look like the software is garbage.

bernt
2012-10-15, 23:08
I have three Harmony remotes and two of them I bought used. No problems so far and I had them for a couple of years now.

Pascal Hibon
2012-10-16, 00:54
Yea, I've had much worse luck with the reliability of the Harmony remotes. And with the dropping of squeezebox line I'm thinking about trying to find something new for when my 900 dies.

I think the physical remote hardware industry is a dead end, niche thing.

Something like this is interesting:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/beacon-android

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-IP2IR-iTach-Wired/dp/B003BFTKUC

It's too bad the reviews make it look like the software is garbage.

Beware about Griffin. I have one and boy did I regret that purchase. Their support is even worse than Logitech's ( yes, it is possible...). Their support is as good as unexisting. It is complete crap! Don't buy it.
If you want something similar but way better, and with excellent support, then look at Redeye. It is a bit more expensive than Griffin but it are two different worlds.

bernt
2012-10-16, 01:13
Beware about Griffin. I have one and boy did I regret that purchase. Their support is even worse than Logitech's ( yes, it is possible...). Their support is as good as unexisting. It is complete crap! Don't buy it.
If you want something similar but way better, and with excellent support, then look at Redeye. It is a bit more expensive than Griffin but it are two different worlds.

I have the opposite experience. Once they even called me back from Canada. I think the support for Harmony is excellent.

No, I have nothing to do with Logitech.

Soulkeeper
2012-10-16, 05:49
The lastest software "update" made my Harmony 600 practically useless.

As I've had the exact same problem before, I contacted support by replying to the mail from Logitech where they had told me that the problem was fixed last time. Soon after, Logitech support told me that I'd contacted the wrong department. Quite "interesting" in itself, as the mail I replied to was obviously from someone who could help me with the remote a few months back.

Anyway, they promised that the "right" department would contact me promptly, to get the problem fixed. This was maybe two weeks ago. Then: Crickets.

I sent a reminder. More crickets.

I sent one more. Even more crickets.

It's not long now, before my Harmony goes in the bin.

Would I recommend that you buy a harmony? Short answer: NO.

Update:
I got a reply from Logitech the other day. They apologized for the delay, explained that they've had some technical difficulties that had led to the delay, and helped me straighten my Harmony out. Now it works again. So I may have been too quick to rant.

... But I still won't recommend any IR remote solution.

Simply because controlling modern equipment with IR technology is like trying to fly an airplane with a bullwhip. The technology itself is ridiculously outdated compared to what it does and how it does it. Line of sight requirement? One way communication? A bit rate of jack-all? The need for user-controlled "assistant software" to sort out communication glitches? Gimme a freaking break. From now on it's home automation/RF for me, or I'll just get my ass up from the sofa and press the button manually.

Using IR in 2012 is just too ridiculous, and it needs to stop, yesterday.